Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #31  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody....It was 86 here yesterday,still no rain. South Fl. has got some.. Everything is so dry.. I hate to see my water bill this month. We have a pump but somethings can't be watered with that water.
I need to find a Avon lady.. My sister has one . I told her to order something for me. I guess she forgot..I use skin so soft for bug control. I get a bite and it lasts forever. Better than OFF. It comes in oil and lotion. I prefer lotion. Not so messy when I am working out in yard..
My brother will be here till the 1st of June..We will go there tonight for dinner. I had them sunday for a cook out.. I was glad to get those steaks out of my freezer.. I still have about 4.I will try not to fill the freezer till afer the stormy season. The chance of losing food is always there if we lose the electric for a few days.
I am looking forward to the 2nd week of August. We are going to St. George Island for a week. We haven't been away anywhere in some time.A week on the beach is something everyone needs. I would like longer but it is too expensive. And, the hubby would have a fit being away from home longer.I hope there are no storms then.
Yes , I too have days that I wish I lived so far in the country that I never say another soul. Just as long as I could get books and food would be fine.No traffic! Where I live used to be so quiet. Now is a different story.. Cars cars cars and noisy neighbors all day and most of the night.Training Christy has been a nightmare. She wants to attack all the people ,cars and anything that moves and even things that don't move. She knows if there is a strange car parked outside. She barked a lot yesterday. I hung a towel on the door so she couldn't see outside yesterday. That helped some..
Joanne
Old 05-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #32  

Joanne, it is 85 right now here in Ohio. We had a little rain the other day, but not enough to count. That Skin so Soft is great for mosquitoes! Bob and I did steak on the grill today for lunch. We just bought a grill yesterday, and we had to try it out. I'm sure you are looking forward to your trip! I would be too. Christy sounds like a real challenge. Kramer barks but not at everything. Even when he was a pup, he rarely barked unless someone came into the yard or driveway. Yesterday he was going crazy because there was a rabbit outside the porch door. Good thinking about hanging that towel up!

The retirement dinner was very nice. They did little skits about the 3 of us, and it was funny! Tim said he was very glad that he came home from school for it. The food was great!! There were 3 cakes decorated for each one of us. We had to guess which one was ours. Mine was trimmed in purple (favorite color) and had a dachsund on top! One of the others mentioned grandchildren (only Sandy has those) and the other one had an RV on it (Deb and hubby just bought one).

I never thought about gifts, but we received a teacher throw, a retirement mug and stuffed frog, flowers, and a $50 gift card! I was amazed! There were about 45 people there including us and our families. The elementary staff has about 35 people, so I thought that was a pretty good turnout.

I need to run to the post office and grocery. Hope you are all having a great day!!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #33  

Default working!!

Hi Joanne, tammy and Meme where are you? I am a bit tired after working 2 days. One more-I like the money!!!We have a new boss and she is very nice. But definitely new!!!
I was supposed to go to the mall but my friends cancelled and the other girl went early because she got out early. I gave her my gift cert and a list. I hope she doesn't have any trouble. I.m bad!!!!
I am waiting for one of the ladies to come down for dinner. Then I will swim and watch idol. i will probably fall asleep.
It's gorgeous out. Evan is all toilet trained so now they might take the crib away. Bye for now mima
Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #34  

Mima, I can understand why you would be tired! Money is good!! Did your friend to ok with your gift certificate and list? Hope you enjoyed your swim. I have water aerobics tonight.

One of Tim's classmates was shot last week in the back of the head. He passed away yesterday. He was always a cocky kid, and he was definitely hanging out with the wrong crowd. He had moved from the small town where we lived into Dayton. I feel awful for his parents. He was their only child. That is the 3rd boy from that class to die. One died between 5th and 6th grade, the 2nd one during their junior year, and now this one. They only had 90 kids in their class. Sad. They've grown up fast with the losses.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #35  

Oh-that is so sad! When they hang out with the wrong crowd , it is not good.
Where is meme?? Hope you are ok.
Hurting and some IBS-gotta recover. I came home very grumpy last night and a red truck was in the driveway. My thoughts were negative about company. But it was Brad's stepson with my new glasses!!! Wow-I was happy!
No, I didn't get my pants. I am calling Macy's today and ordering them by phone. Eileen said they only had brown.
The swimming did me no good-maybe I did too many leg exercises. But there were a whole bunch of us in the pool!!! Fun.
Good Idol show last night.
Oh I am glad to be home. We worked til 5:30, rushing to get done. We have a new boss but she is very Pollyannaish-Said the good news was we were 45% done and it was 2:30. It was really the bad news and I said so to my friend marilyn, not realizing the new boss was in the room!! Open mouth, insert foot.
Bye for now-Wow it's going to be hot!! Mima
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #36  

Meme went with Anne on her trip!! I just know she did!! Wouldn't that have been fun!! New glasses for you! Wonderful!!! Sorry about the pants. Glad that you'll be able to call the order in though. Sometimes at water aerobics, I overdo it on one part or another, and the next day I definitely know it. We always have fun. I didn't watch Idol. Sounds like you did have to rush if you only had 45% finished by 2:30!! I had to laugh about you saying that in front of the boss. That sounds exactly like something that I would do.

Bob and I took a walk earlier, and it felt so nice out. It is in the upper 80's but there was a nice breeze. Well, when we got home, I said we have to turn the AC on. The only room getting any breeze is Tim's bedroom. Oh, the garage is too, but I'm not going out there to sit. This is the first we've turned it on, and it feels great!! I know the dog is appreciating it also.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #37  

Didn't go with Anne ... but wish I had!

I love the water. Almost any water. I did get to go swimming last weekend. Hubby and I ran away ... to Nashville! I turned SIXTY!!! Didn't want anyone here getting a bright idea about giving me a big party or something so I just ran away for the weekend. My BD was Sun. and all 4 of the little kids were in a play Sun. night (Nic at Night) about Nicodemus coming to Jesus ... musical. So we just had to be back to see that. It lasted an hour. It was great. There were over 30 kids in it. Garret was Nicodemus and Ross was the Roman Guard. The girls and one other girl wore trench coats and dark glasses and did a song and dance number "Secret Agent Man". It was absolutely delightful! It was supposed to be a mystery about 'what would Nic at Nite do? Would he keep Jesus a secret or would he tell? After that, they took me to Chili's for dinner. Hubby got me a new camara and printer and the kids got me a digital photo frame. Plus, I got some new clothes and shoes in Nashville (4 pair of shoes ... you know me, I'm a shoeaholic!)

Tammy, sounds like you had a really good party! Why weren't you expecting gifts. That's generally what they do at retirement parties. You go girl! I love this time of year. It's usually hot here now and it is up in the 80s but it has been so nice on the deck and front porch. I've put out some flowers and I'm enjoying it out so much this year. Hubby being home at lunch is nice. We've been eating out on the deck some. I had the boys today because school was out today and I was out on the porch some. We have a 50 ft front porch. I love it out there.

Well, gotta go get a shower, those boys about wore me out. I think my blood is very, very low. I've been so tired lately. Glad you all are doing good. I miss you when I'm away so long. Gotta stop doing that. But I've been having headaches and haven't been on the computer much lately.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #38  

Shucks!! I thought you and Anne would be sending pictures!! lol Happy Birthday! My hubby will be 60 in September. You received some great gifts for you birthday!

I have no idea why I wasn't expecting gifts! It has been a while since anyone has retired at the school, and I guess I just forgot. Wow! Your porch is huge! I sit on our back porch. It is enclosed, and I love it. Kramer and I share the glider. He sleeps and I read.

We miss YOU when you are away so long too. Hope you will have relief from your headaches.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:28 AM   #39  

Meme-I am so glad you had a nice bd!! Great way to celebrate!!!! Love that play with the kids!!!!
Hey Tammy-I pooled all my money and bought a digital camera with a floppy disc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It cost about $500 and would be so outdated now-Fortunately my kids gave me another camera. Actually the boys-Suzanne was in her I don't have any money stage. Now she goes crazy!!!!
I couldn't find those pants anywhere on-line. GUess I was wishful thinking. I will try one more time locally.
Wow-I started vacuuming the camper-those mice had a great home for the winter!!! I bought some cleaning supplies for the girl across the street to clean it but will wait til Brad has a chance to power wash it. I can do a lot of the work-he is so busy!!!
My stomache was great yesterday, although I was hurting last night from working in the camper. Bought some more aspercreme and some cocoa butter wilk e for my scar which is very weird.
Women's Bible group and Marriage group tonight-Women's breakfast tomorrow and cemetery tomorrow night and Sunday-2 different ones. Then a cookout on Monday-my kids are going to the cemetery where their father and grandparents are buried on Mon. and the coming over for a cookout-hoping Brett and Angela will come. want to see that Keith!! And debbie!!
Bobby is now driving a bit. Friends were coming over to open his pool yesterday. He will go back to work June 11th.
Bye for now, Mima
Old 05-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #40  

I still haven't figured out our digital camera. Tim uses it most of the time. I just keep using my 35 mm. Too bad about the pants. Sounds like you overdid it in the camper. Take it easy young lady!! You are going to be so busy over the weekend. Glad to hear that Bobby is able to drive. I'm sure that helps him feel even better.

We've decided that we want a different bedspread for summer. The one that we have on there is really pretty, but it does get a bit warm. Also, Bob trips over the ends of it at the foot of the bed. We need one that doesn't drape so much. I've looked in catalogs and online, but I really haven't seen anything that fits the bill yet. We have a king size bed, and I've considered buying a queen size so it wouldn't drag so much. Not sure what to do. I guess I could do that and take it back if it doesn't work.

Tim will be home this afternoon. He didn't plan to come home until tomorrow, but he's coming home today to discuss his spring semester grades with his dad. Oh boy. The grades weren't the best. In fact, he failed the PE class. He is trying to get in contact with the professor because he has no idea why he received an F. It makes me sick thinking about it. His first semester grades were good, a B average. This semester is about a C average, and Bob isn't happy. I remember my first year at college, and I was in about the same boat as Tim. I'm not sure whether he should give up his parttime job or not. I know he was able to study at his job, but did he?

The PE class was a walking class. The walking part only counted for 10% of their grade. Another 10% was homework. The other 80% was the midterm and final. I've looked at the book for the class, and I'm glad that I didn't have to take it!! He went to all of the classes except when he came home sick and ended up at the hospital. Those classes were excused.

The classes that he is taking right now for summer session, he is doing great. A in criminal justice, B in math, B in English. I hope Bob stays calm when he is talking to him. Bob took some college classes years ago, and only took one class at a time at a local community college. He received A's in those classes, so he is expecting the same from Tim. I've been there, done that, being away from home, living in a dorm, etc. I'm ok with the grades except for that F of course.

Ok. Enough of this. Shower time!!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:56 AM   #41  

My daughter never did well in high school or colleger-now she is getting A's for her Master's . But I can sure see why you are concerned. I would think that the important thing is that Tim takes the responsibility for the grades. Looks like he is. I almost flunked gym in college because I couldn't physically perform-that's what it was all about-no book learning. It kept me off the dean's list one semester.
There's always some concern with kids!
Women's bible study in afternoon was good-I am not so comfortable with them and I feel shy but then we went to couple's class at night, which I love!!!!!! We are having a ladies' breakfast today. We are all bringing something. Don't know what we are going to do with the chapter on sex-it's very graphic-Brad said he was skipping that week. Too funny. Discussing sex in front of your Pastor and many other couples!!
Ht again. Got a light bill from Fl and it was too low! Doublechecking to make sure air is working even though neighbor went in. Going to get a hydrometer which measures relative humidity.
Have a nice weekend everyone. Mima
Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #42  

I received an F in a math class when I was a freshman in college, and I had to repeat the class. I ended up with a B the 2nd time. The instructor made a huge difference. I've been in a Bible study where I wasn't comfortable also. Glad your couple's class is good for you. LOL to the chapter on sex. I'm with Brad. I'd skip it too!!! Hope you find out what is happening with the light bill.

I went shopping yesterday, and I didn't find a bedspread. What I did find was stuff for me!! I bought a really cute shirt, 2 pair of shorts, and 2 pairs of jeans. All in smaller sizes than I've been wearing. Well, the shirt is the same size, but I don't like snug. AND everything was on sale!!! The bill with tax was right at $70, and the real price would have been $130. I thought I did pretty good!! Bob was pleased because he is tired of my "baggy butt" jeans.

Bob is now a trustee at the Eagles Lodge here in town. Every morning he goes in to help count the money from the day before. I'm glad that it is giving him something to do. Since he retired, he hasn't done much of anything. He went there about 7:30, then he is going to an auction. The parents of a couple of his friends passed away, and their estate auction is today. It starts at 9:00. I haven't decided if I want to go or not. One of the boys (men) is moving into the family home. There was a huge cherry bedroom suite in one of the bedrooms. He told his brothers that he'd just buy it so they didn't have to move the damn thing!! I cracked up!!

Tim made out a grocery list last night. He is planning shish-kabobs for tomorrow. He was planning beef and shrimp, and I mentioned chicken. Now we are having all of them. I hope we're inviting some friends over to help eat it!!

Graduation parties start this weekend, so we'll be doing that late afternoon/evening tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #43  

Default Hey There

So far we haven't decided to do anything for the holiday.. At our age getting out in the heat is not on the top of our list..
The first year of college for 18 year olds is a challenge.. Party,party party. They are away from home and it is tempting.. I found out our son was only telling us what he wanted us to hear or what he thought we wanted to hear.He got married too young and that added to the problem.. She was spending everything we sent to help him through school. We learned a lesson as well as he did..After that ended he finished school by the skin of his teeth and our wallet..he took a long time to grow up. 20 years single again and now remarried. He will never have children at his age now..That part is sorta sad..I wish a lot of young people could realise it is so important to buckle down and get the job done.
Our Christie dug a hole in the wall of the kitchen next to the door.. I will have a lot to fix before she gets out of the puppy stage..
Have a Great Weekend... Joanne
Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #44  

Joanne, I think that is what is bothering Tim. He knows that most of the kids on his floor do go out and party, and they did ok with their grades. He honestly doesn't party. With his major, if they get caught so many times partying, they are out of the program. I can believe Christie did that because we had a dog do that once when I was in junior high.

Tim went to visit some relatives, and then he was headed to the store for all the goodies for the cook out tomorrow. As far as I know it is just the 3 of us. On Monday Bob will be involved in the parade here in town out to the cemetary. He is in the American Legion Color Guard. Just got into that recently. I really think that he saw that I was doing things after I retired so maybe it was time for him to do something. lol

I am very jealous. I have a finch feeder out beside the enclosed porch. I haven't seen any birds yet. I looked at the neighbor's feeder, and there were 5 finches on it!!!!!!!!!!! Bob suggested getting a butterfly net and kidnapping some of them to come to my feeder.

Joanne, my Avon lady usually has things on hand at her house. Would you want me to check and see if she has any of that Skin So Soft Lotion and mail it to you?? I would be glad to do that.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #45  

Default Hey There

Tammy Thank You for the suggestion to mail me some skin so soft. Let me see if my beauty operater can get it for me. They should be able to find it.. There are books there all the time..I still have about a oz. left. The yellow flies love me. If I miss a spot on my legs they get me.. I was out with Christy and they made a feast of my ankles today..We have a lot of bushes and trees on our property.I find that Vicks vapor rub helps take the itch out of the bites after a time.. I am very allergic to bug bites and they drive me nuts.
My daughter is trying to incourage me to go back to the church and get involved.. That has always been hard for me..I am a stay at home ,do my own thing kind of person.I worked as a charge nurse so many years that when I retired I just wanted to stay home. I guess being in the public so long took a toll on me.
I hope that your Tim will stay focused and not get into the party scene.. My G/daughter works 2 side jobs plus is taking a full load at school. She plans to Graduate in December.We keep telling her to not let the jobs get in the way of her classes. My daughter trys to keep a close eye on her. But, She is 25 and feels she is in charge. I think her boyfriend keeps her focused as much as he can. She likes to party too.She will get a RN degree and later on a degree from Valdosta State in G/studies. Mainly around the medical field. She has enough classes in bioligy to some day finish that too if she decides. Changing in midstream has taken more time than she wanted .TOO BAD!
You guys pray for rain for us here in central Fl. We need it bad..TOO DRY..
Bye.. Joanne
Closed Thread