Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/216/110

Height: 5'1"

Default Weightloss after a hysterectomy

First, if I have this in the wrong forum, I apologize and feel free to move.

Second, this actually isn't about me, but rather my mom.

Both my mom and I are trying to lose weight together. It's nice because we can vent frustrations and can sympathize with each other; however, some things are harder to understand if you've not gone through it.

My mom is 46 and had a hysterectomy, I think, in 2002? At any rate, she didn't have a complete hysterectomy, if that makes any difference.

I'm sure everyone has heard it's very difficult to lose weight after having one.

My mom is 5'2, and her start weight around mid-January was 212.5. She said she's been eating nowhere near as much as she had in the past (snacked often) and began exercising. Now, come May, she's teetering between 198.5 - 201.5 (that's what she gained from that in 3 days).

This is the first time she's ever exercised (regularly). She's definitely stepped up the gym routine, and that hasn't helped.

She's clearly, and understandably, frustrated. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the hysterectomy.

Other than that, you can only eat so little and exercise so much before you run out of options. I asked her this evening of her eating habits and how much water she's drinking etc.

She usually listens to me better than she does just finding out herself and trying it.

She rarely drinks water (sometimes none up to as much as 64 oz). When we joined the gym we were told to try and drink 128 oz. She tends to be pretty busy throughout the day, so I gave her goals to work on. I told her this week to drink 64 oz each day minimum (since she doesn't do it every day) and eat breakfast every morning. I told her to give it a week to see if she notices any change as far as her weight goes.

I mean, I'm not trying to tell her what to do, but I'm trying to help her out in ways that have helped me out, and with her consent of course (also trying to find solutions and rule other things out). She doesn't write down what she eats (she said she wants that as next week's goal because the water and breakfast will present a challenge in themselves).

So, I'm trying to help her work on the things that should really help - basically the things anyone would tell someone who is trying to lose weight to do.

But basically, what I'm asking here is has anyone here had a hysterectomy and are now trying to lose weight or already have lost some weight?

I just hate seeing my mom so frustrated, and I'm hoping maybe somebody will have some inspirational story or things that are helping them because of the hysterectomy.
spunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Spunker,

I am 43 years old and I had a total hysterectomy in October 2005. A total hysterectomy means the ovaries and the cervix are removed. At the time of my surgery, I weighed 222. By November 2006, I weighed 264. Conventional medicine will tell you that having a hysterectomy does not cause you to gain weight. This is one area in women's health that demands more research as I believe conventional medicine has let women down. How many times have each of us craved food and overate right before Tom arrives? In addition to my hysterectomy, I also have insulin resistance...yet another hormone problem. Hormones can play a major part in weight gain.

The good new is that we can lose weight after a hysterectomy. It is much more difficult and takes a lot of effort, but it is not impossible. For me, the Southbeach plan works well. I do have to work out at least six days a week for an hour and I do drink a lot of water. I don't really track my calories, but many here at 3FC do track their calories and have had much success.

Unfortunately, whether you Mom will do what needs to be done to lose the weight or whether she chooses to follow her own path, the choice is ultimately hers.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 AM   #3  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

My mother had a hysterectomy in 1978 after I was born and has always been a small woman. She has never experienced any weight gain until recently since she is going through menopause and other pituitary hormonal issues.She is also hypo-thyroid and has celiac disease. Her hysterectomy was partial though she still has her ovaries so maybe and most likely removing them is what causes the weight gain issues, this is just my observation, I would just have your Mom stick with a low cal meal plan and exercise. I thought I couldn't lose weight I always had the hardest time since I too have a thyroid condition{Graves Disease} but with the right diet and plenty of exercise anything is possible. Good luck to you both!!
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #4  

I had a hysterectomy about two years ago. Initially, I gained about 30 pounds, but I have worked hard to get them off. I am kind of stuck, but I have thyroid problems, and am now diabetic, so they also enter the equation. It is not just a hysterectomy that makes it hard to lose. Getting older adds in, and loss of muscle mass and such contributes. If your mother will just stick with it, and keep exercising, she will see results. They will be slower than if she were twenty years younger, but any downward movement is better than upward, no?
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #5  
keep pushing!

hi. i'm 27 and i had a hysterectomy earlier this year with both ovaries removed.

the hysterectomy in and of itself doesn't cause weight gain. weight gain is an indication of hormonal imbalance. does your mother have her ovaries? and if so are they functioning properly? i would suggest having blood tests done to see if she is lacking enough estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA or if her thyroid is functioning properly.

sometimes hormone replacement therapy can be the key to helping with losing weight...if it is not managed properly it can also cause weight gain. it is very hard to find hormonal balance and there are a million little signs your body gives to let you know...but testing never hurts.

women in surgical menopause (and natural menopause) tend to see more fluff around the midsection. for this reason it can be helpful to focus on not eating so many refined products and eating more whole foods and protien.

age plays a role too. i have not had much trouble losing weight post hyst when i put my mind to it...but i'm 27.

i would really suggest weight training. it will add muscle mass and help with bone loss which is an issue at menopause. i would suggest eating 5 small meals spaced throughout the day to avoid drops in blood sugar and cravings. and i'd suggest plenty of cardio.

it is harder to lose weight if your ovaries are not working properly and hormones are off. but it is not impossible....i would start by getting my hormone levels checked.

good luck to her! and you!
GoalQueen is offline   Reply With Quote