Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 12:49 PM   #1  

Angry Thyroid Thread

I just got my thyroid evaluated yesterday (our family history on thryoid problems is immense), and it turns out that my thyroid is underactive.

I want to start losing a few pounds again (this time with thyroid medication), and hopefully it won't be this pointless battle where i eat veggies and exercise a lot and still gain.

Does anyone want to join me in this? Willing to post a wee bit every week or so? I'm a student, so I won't be making long posts.

:-)

andrea
Old 11-14-2001, 11:36 AM   #2  

I'll join you ... I also have hypothyrodism and also have asthma and have to take oral steroids...a double whammy but I am still able to lose. I have had 2 appointments with the dietician in my doctor's office and she has helped me immensely. You need to cut back (not out) on carbs, especially refined, and increase protein. Also, eat at the top of your range. We are particularly susceptable to going into starvation mode. Also, exercise to keep your thyroid working. Drink plenty of water and be sure to eat a variety of foods and get 25-30 grams of fiber per day. I wish you success, and lets post occasionally and keep in touch!
Old 11-19-2001, 12:57 AM   #3  

I've finally gotten my medication; pharmacies are such a pain to deal with at times.

I also gotten a 12 week journal at weight watchers, and I've started using that to write down what I eat. My goal right now is to just write stuff down, not necessarily stay in my points range, but i'm not gonna go out of my to eat crappily.

I'm in the midst of a paper writing ****, cuz all the teachers have decided that Thanksgiving break should be used for writing papers and reading textbooks. :-)

How are things going for you?
Old 11-19-2001, 09:53 AM   #4  

Down another half pound---2.5 to go to goal. It's really slow but I don't care how long it takes. My goal for the holidays is to maintain. If I lose, great but this time of year is hard.

I hope your reading and paper writing goes well...I remember those days. I went back to college at 39, while working fulltime, and got my Computer Science Degree.

You'll start feeling better now that you have your meds.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2001, 02:29 PM   #5  

Im in!

i spent the last month doing research& monitoring my body and it seems i have what is known as WTS(wilsons thyroid syndrome) the only way to detect is by monitoring body temp. mine generally falls betwen 96-97. treatment is T3. im gonna call my doc mon for an appt.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:06 PM   #6  

hi guys,
im very bummed. its taken me 8 days to lose 1/2 pound and thats after counting every last calorie. the good news is i think i finally found the reason i cant lose. it looks like ive got wts. ive been taking my temp for almost a month& it is typically 96. ive got alot of the symptoms of hypothyroid too. i thought i had that last year.

im tired of feeling lousy from it. im calling my doc on mon. for an appt so i can try to convince her ive got wts cuz the 1 doc that treats wts near me doesnt take my ins.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:26 PM   #7  

our insurance is the same way kd. they don't do anything unless you are practically dead. i went to my thyroid doctor and paid the $300 for the consultation and tests and stuff, and i got the medicine i need, and i feel so much better.

i figure, if my car were broken down, or my dog or cat were sick, i would pay whatever it took to get them back to normal. and since i would do that for my pets or my car, i should feel the same way about myself, because i am worth more than a car or a dog or a cat.

technically, my thyroid is in the normal range (cuz it is a huge range), but i had a lot of symptoms of hypothyroid. my insurance doctor wouldn't do anything because it is in the 'normal' range, even though i had all these issues and things.

good luck talking with your dr. don't leave without getting what you want. :-)

how are things going with you quilter?
Old 11-25-2001, 11:06 PM   #8  

thanks trixie. if you are normal, how did you get meds?

also, does anyone have natural alternatives?
Old 11-25-2001, 11:29 PM   #9  

my doctor diagnosed me based upon my symptoms and my blood test. for some people, my level would be normal, but for me, it was not. she put me on armour, and is seeing how i react to it. if it helps me, i will continue, if i am too wired, etc, i will not.

that is how thyroid problems were diagnosed in previous years; if you had symptoms, you got the hormones. now they use blood tests to determine if you have thyroid problems, and your personal feelings are invalidated.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:32 PM   #10  

thanks
Old 11-26-2001, 01:23 PM   #11  

How right you all are. Fortunately for me, when I was diagnosed my TSH level was through the roof so there was no problem. I got to a normal level rather quickly, but then it went out of wack again. It seems every 6 months or so, I have to have it tweaked again. Right now I'm feeling great. I do have one symptom that is infrequently seem...when my TSH is high, I get hoarse and sound like I have a sore throat. Weird, huh?
Old 11-26-2001, 01:45 PM   #12  

that is odd. i never knew that was a symptom. heh. i hope your tsh stuff doesn't go too wacky.

i've missed one day of food writing down, which i think is good, considering thanksgiving and all. last night, after coming back to school, i was hungry, so i heated up a tv dinner. i took a few bites, and realized how horrible it tasted, and i threw it out. i'm proud of that. heh.

i'm gonna go and work on my **** workload now. 2 10 page essays due this week. blech.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:52 PM   #13  

trixie,

sounds like you did great! yay!!!
Old 11-26-2001, 02:00 PM   #14  

Good for you, Trixie. You're a real winner. Isn't it funny how our tastes change and some of the stuff we though was so good is not so awful. Good luck on your reports.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:46 AM   #15  

Question Thyroid

Well mybe some of you can throw some suggestions my way. About 3-4 years ago, I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid (Graves Diseas), after losing 50 pounds quickly. I was given a dose of Radioactive Iodine to kill most or all of the thyroid, and put on Levoxyl. Earlier this year, the dosage I was on was found not to be working the way it should be, so the level was increased. I have also since been trying to lose some weight, have over 100 to lose, don't feel healthy, and am not very happy. I have lost 20 pounds in the span of a year, but still... Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by AnnetteC; 11-27-2001 at 12:49 AM.
Closed Thread