Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #1  
Maggi

Default Dieting, Gastric By pass, and Interstitial Cystitis.

My issue is I have a bladder condition know as Interstitial Cystitis, very painful at times, and sometimes you are up 20 to 30 times a night, so you get no sleep, pretty much same for the day time too.

I'm currently on the medication Elmiron and since Jan 5th I've been sleeping pretty darn good, only getting up 1 to 2 times per night, which has been like a miracle for me.

I have always had a fight with my weight gaining 60 to 80 pounds then losing it, when I found out I had IC, I had to quit smoking, which of course added to the pile, but then I decided to be very aggressive I had a Gastric by pass at the lowest BMI possible, at the time of my surgery I was 85 pounds over weight, but I knew I'd never lose this weight, not with the quitting smoking and the IC.

So far I'm down 35 pounds and looking forward to the next 40 and a healthier life.

thank

Karen
magnoliamouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #2  

Default I have IC too

So far I have not found the right weight loss plan for me. Low carb ended up making me very sick and I ended up in the hospital. It made the pain from the IC unbearable. I was down at goal on low carb but gain back 30 pounds when I got sick! So many foods are off limits now like fruit, all condiments, anything with with vinegar lemon or citric acid in it, coffee, tea, carbonation, fruit juice, tomato, spicy food, preservatives, etc. Wow!

Congratulations on losing 35 pounds. That is wonderful!

LeAnne
Daylilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #3  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Wow, I can't believe there are other people with IC here!

I hope Elmiron works for you. It has worked wonders for me. I am on it and Reactine (which helps with the inflammation, but makes me sleepy...and I swear it slows down my metabolism.) It took nearly a year for it to really kick in for me, and now I can't live without it! That + the IC diet are really what keep my pain under control.

Congrats on losing those 35 pounds!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote