Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Thumbs down OCD getting the best of me...

Hey everyone. Lets start by saying I have Depression & OCD. To begin with, I realized I ate a lot, especially when I wasnt really that hungry. I mean, I wasnt full, but im not dying of hunger. So basically the situation is this, knowing that im not completely hungry, and theres still room in my tummy for more, I obsess about eating, whether I believe im craving sweets, salts, or carbs, whatever it is, I know I shouldnt, but I cant stop thinking about it, then I go ahead and chomp away!! At first I thought it was something like binge eating or something, but things didnt add up. I dont know, I guess im at my last straw here... Anyone here ever dealt with something like this before? I feel so alone. (BTW: im currently taking Lexapro, not sure on the dose though, i forgot)
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #2  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

Prozac worked very well for my ocd.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I think you should talk very frankly with your doctor. It might be the medication you're on. I was on zoloft for awhile and it worked with my weird thoughts (i don't have ocd but i would get really strange thoughts and ideas, adn zoloft zapped them, which was nice) Are you in counseling? I'm a big advocate of counseling for things like this. There are support groups and all sorts of programs that might help you.

Check out myocd.org.. they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope things get better soon!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #4  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

hunniebunnie,
I would also suggest bringing this up with your doctor, and like djs06, I also encourage counselling if you are able to get it. It can do wonders.

I just want to give you a great big hug . I know it can be so painful to feel like you are alone, it is hard. Is there anyone in your life you can talk to about how you're feeling, or support groups in your area or online where people can relate to what you're going through? That can do wonders too Keep hanging in there, and take good care of yourself ok
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 179/167/135

Height: 5'6"

Smile

My brother has OCD and I know that it can be really hard to deal with, especially when your thoughts get the best of you. I'd have to agree with everyone else, you should go back and talk to your doctor about switching medications. There are so many different anti-depressant, and they all work different for everyone. I was dealing with panic disorder last year and my Doc put me on Lexapro, but my brother is on Prozac for his OCD, so maybe a switch from Lexapro might work for you. I know my brother went through about three different brands before one worked for him. But even more than the pills, you NEED to go to consoling. It's the best thing you could ever do. Did you know that only 20% of OCD sufferers seek behavioral therapy treatment? But ALL of the 20% that go to therapy see a major reduction of there obsessions. I hope you decide to go, because they can really help you feel a lot better. Good Luck!
PM me if you want to talk about your OCD.
MiaPea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #6  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

Hi there! I know this thread was posted awhile ago but I couldn't help but respond. I also have OCD though I am not taking any medication, but in CBT therapy. I have tried Lexapro and Wellbutrin and didn't have very good reactions to either of them. But I know what you mean about obsessing about eating. I feel like I do that, too, like food is constantly on my mind. This is especially hard after dinner for me. I am trying to train myself to be satisfied with food, instead of full and uncomfortable, but it's a hard habit to break.

What I would suggest is tacking this just like any other obession you might have. For instance, when my OCD flares up and I have intrusive thoughts, I say to myself "thanks for the warning, brain, but I think I can handle it!" It takes being VERY firm with yourself and your runaway mind, as well as distracting yourself. One thing I do is I watch a TV show or read a book and MAKE myself concentrate very hard on the minute details, or I go and talk to my husband or play around on the computer. It's really tough, but it works. Your mind is trying to tell you that this tought is important, but the less power you give your thoughts, the less important they become.

Hang in there!
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Thanks everyone. I do see a psych bi weekly...but theres not much he can do..I have taken up a new hobby...knitting...and it seems to keep me busy...but somehow my mind always wanders..even when im concentrating... I have had new meds...but its pretty much a sedative.lol. i feel like a "kook" now.lol. but i cant help but think about those leftovers in the fridge...*flustered*
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote