3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Announcements > Announcements and Forum Help! > Diet Blogs and Journal FAQ and Help Forum

Diet Blogs and Journal FAQ and Help Forum Support forum for members of our Community Journals and our NEW Diet Blogs

To Be Or Not To Be...Ad Free

Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
Pumpkins make me smile!

S/C/G: 232/ticker/153

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Shcirerf is dead on. Google decides the ads. If one is particularly offensive and we get complaints, we contact them and it is pulled. It doesn't happen very often.

“Change isn’t easy. But if you don’t change, you just stay the same, and where’s the fun in that?”
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Like CyndiM, I use Firefox, and I haven't seen an ad on here in ages. In fact, I thought maybe I was still getting it ad-free (cause I did pay for that for a while) until I read that it had been discontinued. If the ads bother you, you might want to consider installing a different browser to use while you're on 3FC.

160 lbs lost!

My progress pictures
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #18
Gain Control/Release LBS

S/C/G: 338/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I tend to have tunnel vision while reading threads and dont even notice the ads unless its that smiley one that talks lol
Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #19

Height: 1'7.5"

I am EXTREMELY reluctant to comment on this issue since I am new and do not wish to offend. I have absolutely no problem with the ads in general. Today, however, there was an "animated" ad on the margin of the screen that alternated photos of Tiramisu and Chocolate layer cake.
I am attempting to start, yet again, to lose weight and eliminate my trigger foods (need I mention the BIG ONE?) and I was practically in tears. I did my best to ignore it but it was there the entire day. Not unlike most addicts, I can prepare myself to some extent, to face and resist temptation. When the trigger is unexpected, however, it is a blow in so many ways...Feels a bit like going to an OA meeting that is sponsored by Dunkin' Donuts who brings its products and leaves them on display on the sign in table.
Sorry, hope not to upset anyone with what cannot be categorized as anything but a negative comment about a site that brings so much support , for which I am so very grateful, but it is only my 2nd day and am feeling vulnerable to such unexpected stimuli.
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
it's always something

Yowza! Do you recall which thread it appeared on? As far as I know, the majority of ads that run on the forum are Google ads which display ads based on keywords on the page. They also display ads that are cookie based, based on the previous websites browsed from your computer. A couple of weeks ago, I accidentally clicked an ad for a certain shoe and for the next few days every site I visited that used google ads displayed ads for that same shoe. I felt like I was being stalked by a shoe salesman Usually keywords on the page will trigger the ads though.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #21

Height: 1'7.5"

Hi Suzanne, thank you for your sweet and gentle reply. I was so very concerned I might have offended those of you who work so very hard at this site. Today I spent most of the day in the (get ready to laugh at the irony ), ED sections (overeating, bingeing), where I believe the add appeared and the Calorie counters. I did not click on it and please know that I have no difficulty whatsoever with the use of ads on the site.
I believe you have to do whatever is necessary to support this wonderful resource financially. I appreciate it more than you know and I can tune out most of the advertising. This one was hmmm really, really "special" . Sugar is my "drug of choice" and after 54 years of should we call it a one sided codependent "relationship", I am trying to break up with it. I'm seriously thinking of taking out a restraining order against it
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #22

I don't mind the ads. I tend to ignore them anyways, so I don't even see them anymore. I understand the site needs some income to keep running and I'm all for that.
chubbyhubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #23
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I'm another one that uses Adblock for Firefox. I haven't seen ads on any site in years.

Current mini-goal: Get back to where I was in February (205)

Positive things I need to remember:
·I'm at a better starting point since I didn't gain it all back yet.
·I quit smoking cold turkey in Nov 2011.
·I'm still trying so I can't say I've failed.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #24
Force of Nature

S/C/G: 269/*see ticker*/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Yowza! Do you recall which thread it appeared on? As far as I know, the majority of ads that run on the forum are Google ads which display ads based on keywords on the page. They also display ads that are cookie based, based on the previous websites browsed from your computer. A couple of weeks ago, I accidentally clicked an ad for a certain shoe and for the next few days every site I visited that used google ads displayed ads for that same shoe. I felt like I was being stalked by a shoe salesman Usually keywords on the page will trigger the ads though.
This happened to me earlier this year. I was looking at getting a SeaEagle inflatable kayak, so I went to the site where you order them online and researched them some more. Then every site I went to that had ads had ads for the SeaEagle! Was happening both at home and on my work computer. Every site I went to showed this darn ad and, like you, I felt like I was being stalked by a darn boat!

Clearing my cookies and cache seemed to help, and I think the ad-tracker thingy expires after a while, too.
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.