Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #31  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default Le Pomme Noir (the black apple)

this dessert is a special recipe suitable for parties as it is large and very rich. I found it in a magazine and adapted it myself to be sugar free. It was easy since the sugar in the original recipe isn't needed for bulk, but with the amount of chocolate, it sure isn't low fat! I cut the cake into about 20 pieces.

Prep time: 5 hours or more (due to refrigeration) Skill level: average
Use a 10 inch springform pan, prepared for a bain marie or bake with a shallow pan of water in the oven
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients:
Cake: 3/4 cups water
4-5 cups splenda for baking
2 cups apple (prefer northern spy or cortland) peeled cored and chopped
2 tblsp brandy or Calvados (apple liqueur)
1/3 cup butter
1 lb unsweetened chocolate (chopped)
6 eggs

Ganache:
1 cup whipping cream
3 cups splenda for baking
8 oz unsweetened chocolate

Instructions:

use cooking spray in the springform pan. To make a bain marie: line the bottom of the pain with parchment, and use cooking spray again. Wrap 3 layers of heavy-duty foil around the outside of the pan, bringing foil to the top of the rim. When the cake is poured into the pan, place the pan into a large roasting pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the pan.

combine the water and splenda in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil and stir til splenda dissolved. Add apples and simmer until tender (about 25 min), remove from heat and mash. Add brandy or liqueur.

in a separate pan, melt butter over low heat, add chocolate, whisk until you have a smooth mixture. whisk the apple mixture into this. At this point, taste for sweetness, as you don't want the cake to be too bitter. It should be bitter-sweet, not too sugary tasting. add more splenda to eggs if needed. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add splenda now if more was needed. Add a small amount of chocolate mixture to the eggs, continue to add it a bit at a time until the whole amount is in.

pour the batter into the springform pan and bake until the centre of the cake no longer moves when gently shaken, about 50 minutes. remove from water bath, transfer to rack and cool. DO NOT remove from pan until after Ganache applied.

Ganache (to be applied to fully cooled cake)
bring whipping cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan. add splenda, the chopped chocolate. taste and add more splenda if needed to make ganache bitter-sweet.
Poor ganache over cake and gently shake pan to evenly distribute it.
Cool and refrigerate until ganache set, about 2 hours.
run a knife around pan sides to loosen cake, then release sides.
Cut with a hot knife when serving.

enjoy
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #32  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

* MY HOMEMADE MUESLI *

Muesli was invented 100 years ago by a Swiss doctor who
wanted a healthier breakfast for his patients. The Swiss
still eat a version of this today for breakfast, and
sometimes for a light dinner in the evening.

1/3 cup granola cereal (like Quaker)
1/3 cup bran buds, grape nuts, or whole grain cereal*
1 tbl chopped nuts (hazelnuts/almonds/walnuts)
1-2 sliced dried apricots and/or other fruit**
1 tbl seedless raisins

* use whatever other cereal you like -- PC's blue menu has
a granola fruit & nut mix which is very nice too; or use
all-bran bran flakes or other whole grain cereal of choice.

** you can add other fruit to this like 1 tbl dried
bananas (broken); and/or 1-2 tbl dried cranberries.

This makes one serving and can be multiplied easily. Make
up 3-4 servings at a time; and store in small plastic containers: just add sweetener & milk and serve.

Enjoy ... Rosebud

__________________________________________________ _____

+ SPECIAL NOTE: The Swiss eat Muesli for a light dinner;
and the Dutch eat cream of wheat for dinner sometimes too.
The Swiss, UK, and Mexicans often have their big meal at
lunchtime (1-4 pm), and have something light in the evening
like muesli or other cereal; or rice & beans pilaf ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #33  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

VERSATILE OMELETTES

We like to have omelettes for any meal; often having them for lunch or a nice light dinner too.

ANY VEGGIE OMELETTE

1.5 eggs or 1/2 cup egg beaters
and fresh or leftover veggies of choice:
like mushrooms, onions, zucchini, etc*
PAM spray, or 1 tsp canola or olive oil
seasonings to taste

Saute veggies in broth or 1 tsp canola oil; add beaten eggs; cover and cook until egg is puffed. Can melt a slice of low-fat cheese on top too.

* I have used leftover cooked carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, zucchini, peas, mushrooms, or tomatoes in mine.

CAMP OMELETTE

Make your favorite omelette and put some heated beans in tomato sauce on top (heat in microwave); about 1/4 -1/3 cup as desired. This is nice with lf cheese and a small slice of toast too.

PIZZA, SPANISH, OR WESTERN OMELETTES

To your favorite omelette, add in a bit of chopped meats like sliced or chopped turkey pepparoni or sausages; peal meal bacon or lean ham, etc. This is nice with sliced mushrooms too. Melt a bit of cheese of choice on top; and serve with salsa, tomatoes, or sf ketchup ...

LEFTOVERS DINNER OMELETTE

Make your favorite veggie or meat omelette; and add some leftover potato, rice or kniblets corn to the omelette; we also like a bit of minced onion in these. Saute onion & potato or rice (you can even use grated sweet potato); add in leftover veggies and heat for a minute. Then beaten eggs (or beaters) over top; cover and cook as usual. All these are nice with a tiny bit of cheese melted on top.

VALS DINNER OMELETTE

Using a large skillet, saute some lean ham and veggies of choice; set to the side to keep warm. Make an omelette as per usual. Then put your veggie/meat mixture on one half of the omelette; topping with some grated cheese; and fold omelette in half; cover and let heat through just until cheese is melted and serve hot.

Enjoy ... Rosebud
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #34  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

Default Turkey & Spinach Casserole

I tried this recipe (out of the Kansas City Star) last night (with a few modifications) and it's pretty good. Fairly low carb, too. It did not look very appetizing before it was baked, but don't let that influence your decision. It was also fairly easy to make.

Turkey-Spinach Casserole

Makes 8 servings

1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped (I used half of an onion - a whole onion seemed like too much)
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup (I used low sodium cream of mushroom soup)
1 pound frozen spinach (chopped spinach)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic (I didn't have minced garlic so used garlic powder)
2 eggs, beaten
1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese (I used 8 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground turkey and onion, and then drain. Stir in soup and bring to a simmer. Blanch spinach until tender, and then drain. Add salt, pepper, garlic and eggs to spinach and mix well. Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Spread meat mixture on the bottom of the dish. Top with spinach mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Per serving (Based on unmodified recipe): 342 calories (59 percent from fat), 22 grams total fat (11 grams saturated), 154 milligrams cholesterol, 9 grams carbohydrates, 26 grams protein, 1,018 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 258/236/175

I had this for dinner tonight and thought I'd share it.

Green Smothered Burritos

4 small low carb tortillas
1 large can fire roasted green chilies or green chili enchilada sauce (or home made green chili)
1 tomato, diced
6 large leaves of romaine lettuce (or any greens you like)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese
burrito filling
low fat sour cream

For burrito filling (otherwise known as refried beans without the fry)
:

Seasonings can be adjusted according to taste
1 cup dried pinto beans
3 cups water
1/4 diced jalepeno
1/16 teaspoon cumin
1 onion, quartered
1/2 tsp salt

Put it all in a pot and simmer for about 4 hours on low. Mash the beans against the side of the pot until desired consitency (I like mine with a few whole beans left).

For burritos:

Spoon burrito filling into tortillas. Roll up and place seam side down in a casserole dish. Spoon green chili sauce over burritos. Sprinkle with cheese. Place in 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with tomatoes, cilantro and lettuce. Put a dollop of sour cream on top if desired.

Makes 2 large dinners.
doggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Wonderful Cauliflower!

This is my new friend! Some ideas/uses:

roasted in the oven with a little olive oil and garlic
Riced makes mock fried rice, extend potato dishes, very low carb pizza crust, stuffed mushrooms, YUM!
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I just received this on FB from Wheat Belly and thought y'all might like a recipe to make your own ice cream that is diabetic friendly. Haven't made it yet but really look forward to it because that is one thing I really miss.

VANILLA CUSTARD ICE CREAM

The basic recipe can be altered in an unlimited number of ways, e.g., add 1 cup mixed fresh or frozen berries, 1 cup wild blueberries, dark
chocolate chunks with or without peppermint extract, bing cherries, walnut fragments, etc. Using an inulin-based sweetener, such as the Trader Joe’s stevia, or Swerve, helps generate a custard that is smoother and defrosts to a softer texture when taken out of the refrigerator. Alternatively, a teaspoon of xanthan or guar gum can be used, but I’ve found this still allows the ice cream to acquire the hard consistency of ice when frozen.

Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
4 egg yolks (large or jumbo eggs)
12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) heavy whipping cream, preferably organic
Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar (I used the stevia + inulin mixture from Trader Joes, 1/3 cup)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Dash ground nutmeg

Place eggs yolks in small saucepan and heat over low-medium heat. With
electric or hand mixer, beat for several minutes until creamy while heating. Keep heat low enough that yolks do not scramble or coagulate but are warm to touch.

Blend in cream, stevia, and salt and blend until well-mixed.
Pour entire mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions. (My device required 25 minutes to convert to thick custard texture.)
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #38  

I got this from Food.com
I'm not into the hot jerky so don't use those ingredients. You can make it to your own taste. That is what I did. I did notice that they also have one on the website for one made with ketchup that might be good, but I'm trying to cut out the sugar so didn't copy that one.

Homemae Beef Jerky

Ingredients:

.4 lbs london broil beef or 4 lbs flank steaks
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, more if you like it hot
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 cup soy sauce or 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Frank's red hot sauce
Directions:
1Trim all fat off meat.
2Cut steak in to 4 inch strips.
3The steak should be about 1/2 inch thick.
4It's easier to cut meat partially frozen.
5Pound meat lightly, you don't want it too thin.
6Add all ingredients in a large bowl.
7Mix well.
8Cover and refrigerate overnight (8 hrs).
9Line cookie sheets with tin foil.
10Place steak strips on sheets, don't overlap meat.
11Set oven at lowest temperature. (150-175°F).
12Bake six hours, turning after three hours.
13Jerky is done when meat is dried out, depending on your oven.
14Worth the wait!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

For the most part, cabbage rolls are carb friendly, because most of the carbs come from the vegetables. But this recipe uses some other healthy tips. I would also suggest cutting back on the rice.

Hungarian Cabbage Rolls
In Slow Cooker

12 lg savoy cabbage leaves
1 lg onion, finely chopped
4 lg garlic cloves, minced
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes in thick puree
3 Tbs white-wine vinegar
1 Tbs sugar (can be omitted)
3 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 lb ground lean beef
1/2 lb turkey sausage links, casings removed
2 C cooked brown rice
1/2 C water

Trim thick ribs at base of cabbage leaves. Stack 4 leaves, rounded side up on a paper plate and cover with paper towel. Microwave on high 3 min. Cool. Repeat with remaining cabbage.

Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring 1 min. Cool

Sauce-Mix 1/2 C onion-garlic mixture, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, 1 tsp paprika and 1/4 tsp salt in bowl.

Filling-Crumble beef and sausage into large bowl, add rice, water and remaining onion-garlic mixture, 2 tsp paprika and 1/4 tsp salt, stir just until combined.

Place rounded 1/3 C filling in center of each cabbage leaf. Fold sides of leaves over filling and roll up. Place 6 rolls seam side down in 5 or 6 qt slow cooker, top with half of sauce. Repeat with remaining rolls and sauce. Cover and cook 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.

Per serving2 cabbage rolls and 1/4 C sauce) 280 cals, 7 gm fat, 3 gm sat fat, 0 gm trans fat, 72 mg chol, 825 mg sodium, 33 gm carb, 10 gm sugar, 7 gm fib, 23 gm prot, 82 mg calcium. Points Plus Value 7.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #40  

I am think it great diet
davidKOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #41  

I found this recipe today and can't wait to try it. I love hummus. Lots of fiber!

White Bean and Roasted Eggplant Hummus

Total Time:
33 min
Prep:
8 min
Cook:
25 min

Yield:
6 servings

Level:
Easy

CATEGORIES

Beans And Legumes
Appetizer
Hummus

Ingredients

1 (1 1/2-pound) eggplant or 3 Japanese eggplants, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
Olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1/3 cup
Kosher salt, for seasoning, plus 1/2 teaspoon
Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1/4 teaspoon
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
1 clove garlic
1 hothouse cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place an oven rack in the middle.

Place the eggplant on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cooled eggplant, beans, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Place the hummus in a dipping bowl and serve with the cucumber slices. Alternatively, spoon the hummus over the cucumber slices and arrange on a serving platter.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-25-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #42  

I saw this on Facebook and looked good.

Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats

Summer yields some of the best produce! Our Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a creative way to utilize some of those delicious veggies you have growing in your garden or picked up from the market!

What You'll Need:

2 zucchinis
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tomato, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped

What To Do:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp and seeds, leaving 1/4-inch shell (use a small spoon for this). Reserve pulp from both zucchinis and chop.
In a medium bowl, combine pulp, garlic, tomato, mushrooms, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, olive oil and 1/2 cup cheese. Divide mixture evenly between zucchini shells. Place stuffed zucchinis in prepared baking dish; cover with foil.
Bake 25 minutes, or until zucchinis are tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil and serve.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #43  

I was just reading through all the recipes here. There are some good ones I had forgotten about. I saw one submitted by Riemontana who used to post here. I liked her, and wonder why she quit posting. She had very good diabetes control.

This is surely the season for zucchinis. I just used my veggetti sauteed the strands in EVOO with salt and pepper. When aldente, I added a couple spoonfuls of pesto, which I had never eaten before. It was delicious and so low cal, low carb.

I also found a recipe redo for Eggplant Parm, which could also be used with zucchini. Instead of breading and frying the eggplant/zucchini, it is baked for so much lower fat and carbs.

Eggplant Parmesan

2 lbs eggplant cut crosswise into 1/4 in slices
6 cups of marinara sauce, divided
2 cups part skim shredded mozzarella, divided
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
2 Tbs olive oil

Spray two rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer and spray lightly with more cooking spray. Roast at 400 degrees until lightly browned about 10 min per side

Reduce oven to 350. Lightly coat bottom of 9X13 baking dish with marinara.

Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on sauce, followed by one third of the mozzarella and half the basil and sauce. Repeat layers of eggplant, mozzarella and basil and sauce, and sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top.

In a small dish, combine parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and olive oil. Sprinkle Mixture evenly over dish. Bake 20-25 min until cheese melts and sauce bubbles.

Per serving
269 calories, 13 gm protein, 29 gm carbs, 12 gm total fat (5 gm sat fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 8 gm fiber, 14 gm sugar, 278 gm sodium. Calories from fat, 39%.

I think you could also slice zucchini into planks and assemble this in the same way you do lasagne.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:23 AM   #44  

Here is a recipe I tried and liked. It uses some vegetables that we don't eat very often. Vegetables all have different nutrients, so it's important to eat a wide variety.

Turnip Braise

2 T Olive oil
1 med onion, sliced
Baby Carrots, cut into thirds (or regular carrots in bite size pieces)
2 T tomato paste (I omitted this)
Turnips peeled and cubed (I also added a couple parsnips)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 C chicken broth
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/3 C chopped cilantro (I used dried, plus added dried parsley flakes)

Heat oil and add onions and carrots. Cook for 5 min. Add tomato paste, turnips, salt, cumin and cayenne and stir well. Add chicken stock. Raise heat and bring to boil. Decrease heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 20 min or so. Stir in black pepper and cilantro.

(I used 2 parsnips and 5 small turnips. About 10 baby carrots. This filled a 10 inch frying pan. You can adjust quantities based on how many people you're feeding. Also, I didn't want a tomato taste, so I omitted the tomato paste. I added a little bit more cumin after I tasted it, and also added dried parsley flakes at the end, more for color than anything.)

Even DH who doesn't like many vegetables ate it and liked it.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #45  

This looks interesting. Anyone willing to try it and let us know?

Spaghetti Squash Hashbrowns

Spaghetti Squash Hash Brown
Ingredients
  • 2 cups cooked & shredded spaghetti squash (about 1/2 small cooked squash)
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • Salt, to taste (optional)
Directions
Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat.
Press the water out of the squash with paper towels.
Form little patties (2 tablespoons or so) by pressing the squash firmly between your palms.
Place the patties gently on the warmed skillet and let cook for 5-7 minutes per side. Only flip these once if possible to get the nice browned effect.
Transfer to paper towels to drain, then serve warm. Sprinkle with some salt if desired.
Nutrition Information
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 1 cup
Per serving: Calories: 104; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 105mg; Carbohydrate: 10g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 1g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 181mg; Iron: 3%; Vitamin A: 3%; Vitamin C: 9%; Calcium: 3%