3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles > Diabetes Support

Recipes for Diabetics!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #16

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I have a favourite recipe, Broccoli and Cheese Soup. My Doctor actually gave me the original recipe when I told her that I really liked cooked broccoli with cheese. I've been having this since I was diagnosed, except I usually make it with skim milk, but today, lo and behold, my fridge, she was bare. So, I improvised, and oddly enough, came up with an alternative that is quite healthy and tastier than the original recipe!

Broccoli & Cheese Soup

3 or 4 large broccoli florets (abuot cup)
1pckg Broccoli Cheese or Cauliflower & Broccoli Cup o' Soup or powdered soup mix.
1cm slice of Velveeta cheese product (reduced fat, you wont need more than an ounce)

1.Add the broccoli to a pan and fill the pan with water till the broccoli is almost completely covered. Boil the broccoli to desired tenderness. Using a strainer spoon, remove the broccoli from the pan and place into a bowl or onto a plate. DO NOT THROW THE BOILING WATER AWAY.
2.Cut the florets into spoonful sized pieces. At the same time, turn the heat on the broccoli water down to medium low. Add the powdered soup mix. Mix thoroughly.
3.As the soup is simmering, add in small chunks of the cheese and stir until completely melted.
4.Once the cheese has melted into the soup, add the chopped broccoli back into the pan, and let simmer for a minute or two.
5.Turn the heat off and let cool for a good 3 or 4 minutes before serving.

My reasoning for using the broccoli water to make the soup is quite simple. When you boil broccoli, the vitamins and nutrients in the vegetable seep out into the water, and if you throw the water out, you're losing all of that good stuff, and are left with just filler! By turning broccoli water into soup, you still have the nutrients that would be found in the broccoli!

This is quite a good recipe for diabetics, as the main carbohydrate content comes only from the soup mixture and these generally only contain about 15g per packet! You can have two full bowls of soup, and not have to worry about being carbohydrate greedy!

This recipe is very healthy, the only thing you have to worry about is the velveeta or cheese product. These can contain large amounts of salt, but this recipe keeps it to somewhat of a minimum. You dont even have to use the extra cheese at all if you dont want to, I just use it to thicken the soup into a chowder like consistency. The cheese contains 450mg of sodium, so if you're watching your sodium intake, you might be better off without the cheese. By leaving the cheese out, the DV lowers to 38%. There are also light versions of the powdered soup mix, which will lower sodium intakes even more! These figures are based on the full recipe, which can be consumed in one sitting with no guilt! You can also just go for half the recipe now, half later and substitute some healthy crackers into your meal.

Calories - 195
Total Fat - 8.1g
of which saturates 4g
Cholesterol - 12mg
Sodium - 1400mg (about 57% DV) yikes!
Carbohydrates 21g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugars 5.5g
Protein 10g

You're also getting 26% of your DV of Vitamin A, 60% of your DV for Vitamin C, 21% DV of Calcium, and 3% Iron. The daily values are all based on a 200 calorie diet. I've also worked out that this is a quick and an inexpensive meal as well.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #17

I love russian tea.. heres how u make it.. i jar of instant tea, one jar of sf tang or crystal lite orange drink(4 tubs) 4 T. cinnamon..mix all together and store in a jar.. put 3 T. in a cup and add hot water(u can adjust amount according to taste)..yum.. my other favorite fill me up is a smoothie.. 1 cup of any frozen fruit(no sugar) 1/2 tsp crystal lite lemonaide mix, 1 cup water..blend till smooth.. add a dollop ot sf cool whip or any lofat whipped topping..i like using frozen peaches..hope you like these.. they are my favorites.. rosey

I am enough!
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #18
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Here's that potato salad recipe from D:Life . . . along with some other tips for making picnic fare a little more diabetes friendly . . .

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...li_june07.html

see you later . . .

meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #19
Onward and Downward

That D:Life article reminded me of one of my favourite "picnic" kind of recipes . . . can feed a fair crowd or keeps well in the fridge anyway . . . most people don't even realize it is not full of the high fat and high sugar stuff that's in the commercial kind . . .

EXTRA EASY, EXTRA HEALTHY BEAN SALAD

4 cups Red Kidney Beans (2, 19 oz cans)
3 cups green beans (2, 14 oz cans)
3 cups yellow beans (2, 14 oz cans)
1 cup corn niblets (1 x 10 oz can)
1 cup chopped onion
cup FF Italian salad dressing

Rinse and drain all canned ingredients before measuring. Combine everything in a very large bowl and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving, stirring periodically.

Makes approximately 12 servings of 1 cup each with . . .
183 calories (net calories 162); Volumetrics ED of 0.5
1.1 gr fat; 18 gr carb, 5.2 gr fibre; (12.8 gr net carb) 5.8 gr protein

Good thing it keeps well . . . Since I'm not feeding a group, I'll be eating it quite often over the next few days. Of course, I could have cut it in half and just thrown away the extra corn . . . never even thought of that until now . . . I'm definitely having a senior moment . . . make that a senior day.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #20
Onward and Downward

Originally posted this in Tips and Tidbits . . . but think it is probably better over here . . .

Here's an article about some healthy snacks . . .

http://www.everydayhealth.com/photog...iabetes-snacks

Eating properly, and at regular intervals, can really assist in keeping the BGL stable throughout the day.

Have a good one, gang . . .

Old 06-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #21

Bean salad

1 can red kidney beans
1can garbanzo beans
1 can geen beans
1can of yellow wax beans
1/2 vildalia onion sliced thin
1/4 cup cidar vinegar
2 packets splenda
2 tsp olive oil
dash salt and pepper

Drain all beans, mix dressing ,toss with beans and onions, chill

I am enough!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #22

Mapple apple chix breasts

2 chix breasts boneless skinless
1 cup apple juice(iused sf applecider mix and 1 c water
2 T. maple syrup ( i uses sf)
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp butter
2 granny smith apples peeled and sliced
1/8 tsp cinnamon
marinate chicken in juice,syrup, and thyme 30 mint,take out and reserve marinade,saute chicken till done, remove from pan and add butter and apples saute 4 min,add reserved marinade and cinnamon,simmer till reduced pour over chicken.. makes 2 servings,284 calories per serving or 6 ww pts

I am enough!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #23
Karen ... friend 2 all !!

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'1

Butternut Squash with Onions and Pecans

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 1/4 pounds butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh
parsley

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place pecans on an ungreased baking sheet. Toast at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 5 to 8 minutes.

2. Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over low heat; add onion, and saute until very tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in squash, and cover. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender but still holds its shape, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Stir in half the pecans and half the parsley. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining pecans and parsley to serve.

* I made this for dinner last night and NOBODY like it except for me so give it a try and I think that you will like it too !!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #24

S/C/G: 258/236/175

Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Crust

This recipe just by it's very nature is not incredibly low carb, but it's one of the best I've found. I make mine in my bread machine, so I substitute bread machine yeast (I think it's 2 tsp) for the active dry yeast. I basically just dump the ingredients in my machine, and when it beeps spread it onto a pizza pan. I find it stretches very well, so I make a super thin crust, which helps to lower the carbs.

INGREDIENTS:
1 (.25 ounce) package active
dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 cups whole wheat flour 1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil pizza pan with olive oil.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes.
4. Spread dough on pizza pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 AM   #25
banned

Post Diabetic Diet

Hi,
Sweet Cinnamon Toasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe

Makes 2 cups

You can also substitute any other nuts or seeds to meet your tastes. Just watch carefully so the nuts don't burn. This is a good snack since there isn't any oils used. Experiment with any other spices you like. Be sure to pick a hearty seed. Also, they can be used as gifts. Find a mason jar and decorate.

* 1 Tbsp. egg white
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
* 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
* 2 cups raw, hulled pumpkin seeds

Preheat oven to 350F.

Beat the egg white with a whisk until soft and foamy. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well. Spread out on a parchment lined baking tray, in an even layer. Bake for 13-15 minutes until the pumpkin seeds pop. Let cool completely and store in a covered container.

Try this one.

grawger
grawger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #26
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Here's my version of Mock Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Custard, as I call it; this is what I have at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, or any other time, I make my DH his favorite regular Pumpkin Pie. I make one with crust and sugar for him; and one pumpkin custard for me without. Sometimes, he even sneaks some of my custard when I'm not looking ...

* MY PUMPKIN CUSTARD *

1-1/2 cups pumpkin puree* (1/2 a large 28 oz can)
3/4 cup milk (regular or evaporated)*
2 large eggs
9-12 packets of artificial sweetener*
1 tbl molasses (diabetics: sub 1 tsp coffee granules)
1-2 tsp flour (optional: to thicken)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp mace

Spray a 9" glass pie plate or casserole dish with olive oil spray; sprinkle bottom with flax meal, natural bran, or tsp of whole wheat flour. Pour custard into dish and bake at 375 F for 50-60 minutes (or until center is set). Let cool to almost room temp before serving; cover leftovers with plastic wrap and store in fridge: great for breakfast.

*Note: if you like thicker custard, just cut the milk down to 1/2 cup; and 9 packets of sweetener = about 1/3 cup Splenda; if you like a sweeter custard, use 12 packets or 1/2 cup Splenda. I put 1 tbl molasses in my pie which adds a richer flavor but you can omit that and just sub with 1 tsp instant coffee granules for the same effect without the sugar. For those that sugar is not an issue, you can use 2/3 cup brown sugar for the sweetener (like your family members). Enjoy ...
ONE-STEP-AT-A-TIME PHIL 4:13 " I CAN "
YA GOTTA HAVE FAITH KEEP ON, KEEPIN' ON
= 10 lbs ...
115 lbs + 16 Single Sizes Gone Forever! -- 100 lb tumor = ONEDERLAND!
Progress Pics: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/look...ml#post4361876

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy : 10-12-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #27
Rosebud

SALMON CROQUETTES

7.5 oz can of sockeye salmon*
1 large egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs (whole wheat)
2 tbl lowfat mayo or salad dressing
1/4 tsp salt, opt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp lemon juice

Drain salmon and mash with fork; add remaing ingredients and form into 8 small patties about 1/2 inch thick. Wrap in wax paper and let firm up in the fridge for 30 minutes to 6 hours. Then heat 2 tsp oil in skillet and brown croquettes for 8-10 minutes on each side, turning only once until golden brown. Serve with light tartar sauce.

Nutritional Info:

2 patties = 173 calories
11 g = protein
11 g = fat
Carbohydrate = 6 g
Cholesterol = 67 mg
Sodium = 471 mg

*VARIATION: you can sub tuna for the salmon in this recipe too; one lady I know rolled them into balls and cooked them the same way; calling them Tuna Balls, of course. Makes a nice lite lunch ...
= 10 lbs ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy : 12-08-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #28
Rosebud

QUICK & EZ MINI-SUBS (my own recipe)

Wonder whole wheat hot dog roll (130)
2 slices Pillars deli beef (40c)
OR 1 slice Maple Lodge smoked chicken (25), cut in half
1 slice nofat cheese (30) cut in half
1 tsp diet margarine (15)
mustard (5)

Put margarine and mustard on bun; roll 2 slices thin deli beef (like Pillars) and cheese on top. Put in microwave for about 15 seconds just to melt the cheese a bit. The beef one is about 220 calories; and the chicken one is about 205 calories each.

VARIATIONS: You can vary these in many, many ways; adding lettuce & sliced tomatoes; OR use black forest ham or Turkey; OR mozzarella or swiss cheese slices, and so forth (just changes the calories a bit, but they are all low). These are great for lunch with a cupasoup.
= 10 lbs ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy : 12-08-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
Rosebud

NIFTY MINI-MEATLOAVES

1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup shredded carrot
12 oz lean ground beef (or use xtra-lean)
8 oz ground turkey (or more beef)
2 large eggs
1 & 1/2 cup frozen kernel corn
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup salsa or ketchup
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp each salt & pepper

Saute celery, onion, and carrot in water; cool. Combine remaining ingredients and divide evening in 12 muffin cups (which have been sprayed). Bake at 375 F for about 45 minutes or until done. These are 280 cals for 2 mini-loaves; 22 g protein; 14 fat g; carb 16; 2 g fiber; 64 cholesterol; 315 gm sodium.

Note: you could cut the corn down and add more shredded carrot or zucchini to cut down the carbs. Use the leanest meat you can find; and serve this with cooked veggies, salad, or you could omit the corn and serve them with 1/2 cup mashed potatoes.
= 10 lbs ...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #30
Rosebud

* PUMPKIN MOUSSE *

Here's a recipe a lady shared in another thread; very ez ...

small can of pumpkin (14 oz)
1 pkg sugar free vanilla or banana pudding mix
cinnamon & nutmeg to taste or 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Just make the pudding according to the pkg, adding the pumpkin and spices as desired. Sounds very ez & simple; let me know if anyone has tried it and what you think about it ... thanks!
= 10 lbs ...
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.