Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #316  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, today is Day 3 of CAD. I didn't do so well yesterday. I ended up overeating. I stayed CAD with low carb foods, but I will never eat the RM without enough protein. So when I say it wasn't a great CAD day, I mean I didn't stick to just the 2 meals and 6 hr window.

I learned 2 lessons from this situation. 1. Always eat enough protein at the RM meal... there is a reason they say balance the meal although I've never had to perfectly balance. However having enough protein seems to be extremely important. 2. Always plan an evening low carb snack. If it is planned, I won't go nuts and over eat. I think I will start planning a little salad. Perhaps a chicken or tuna salad to snack on at night to ward of the munchies.

I decided to stay home today and get some much needed straightening up around the house. My poor house has been so neglected and I need to do some filing. I've paid bills and left them just sitting around instead of putting them in the file box like I normally do. I just haven't had much on my mind but my Daddy and his situation for the past month or so.

I talked to him this morning. He is feeling impatient and I can understand that. He did get real food for breakfast today although they had made some kind of an egg cake that they had cut up for him and he got bacon. So I would think he should start getting some nutrition. I don't think you get what you need from custards, ice cream, shakes etc because that had gotten to where that was all he would eat. Of course, I don't think you get much from hot dogs they feed them either. Any way hopefully real food will start giving what he needs from the food.

I've been having some pain in my toes and didn't know why. I didn't take the chorthalidone last night and I noticed no pain in my toes. I remember reading that it could cause some joint pain in the toe joints. I've decided since I'm the one who requested it, I'm the one who can decide not to take it. I use it for keeping fluid off, but I realized today that not only is my coffee a diuretic so is tea. I'm not much on tea during cold weather, but I can start making it everyday and drink it during the day. I will make some and start that today. Wish I liked it hot, but I don't.

Don't know what I will eat today. DS told me it takes about 3 days to get past those stomach feelings DH is having with the Victoza. So he isn't going to want to eat much today. I might cook me some chicken wings in the air-fryer and even make some extra to snack on tonight. I've actually thought about doing Atkins Induction a few days to get rid of any cravings. I saw a woman on FB CAD who says that she does that ever so often to rein them in.
I even thought of doing Atkins with an occasional CAD day thrown in. There are so many things I like about Atkins and with the air-fryer, I couldn't have to have all that fat that I don't like. I'll probably stick with CAD, but just thinking out loud.

Carol Sue I'm the wordy one today . LOL

Y'all have a great OP Sunday.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I don't think an occasional day with less protein is a problem unless it bothers you in some way. A lot of people do things like Meatless Mondays. I always plan on using celery with PB or cream cheese as a snack, but then I forget about it and eat something else. I don't like plain celery. I like something on it, or ranch dressing to dip.

I had a hard time this morning because DH wanted to go to McDonald's for breakfast. I had a coupon for BOGO Egg McMuffin so I got that without cheese, but I ate the eggs and canadian bacon and not the English Muffins. I love them, and theirs are very soft. But instead of throwing them away I brought them home and wrapped them up and put them in the freezer. Some day when I do want a little treat I can pop one in the toaster or microwave to warm it up and eat it.

I went to the store and I bought another eggplant and rutabaga. The rutabaga will keep for a while but I will have to cook the eggplant in a day or so. I'm really loving my veggies lately so I better take advantage of it. And I got a great deal on boneless loin pork chops and chicken drumsticks. I will package them up for the freezer. I don't know what we will eat for dinner. Depends on what DH wants. I always try to eat around his wants since I am not a picky eater.

I was watching a video last night and the guy said that if you need good gut bacteria for your body to absorb the nutrients you eat. So you can be eating nutritious food, but if you don't have good gut bacteria to absorb the nutrients they will just be excreted. I don't know if this is really true or not, so I plan on researching it. I always wonder if I take my meds, and then I have potty issues, do the meds go right through me and I don't get the benefit of them?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #318  

Good morning. I think I had a good eating day yesterday. Two meals. The breadless Egg McMuffins I had in the AM and then we went out for dinner. I ate half of a stuffed pork chop eating a bite of the stuffing, with a couple potato wedges, green beans and side salad. The rolls were easy to pass up because they were hard. I brought the other half of the pork chop and potatoes home without the stuffing. Shared the pork chop with the dog and the potatoes are in the refrigerator, because they tasted really good. But today I think I will throw them away rather than eat them. I got hungry in the evening, but I fought it and did not have a snack. It was hard, but I wanted to see progress. Didn't happen. FBG 155, higher than it is when I eat a vegetable only dinner, and no movement on the scale. One thing I do notice is, I have not gone back into the 200s for a while now, whereas before I kept bouncing back up to 205, 206. Now when I bounce, it's to 199. I really thing I've made great improvements with hardly any snacking, but I'm not seeing a drop. I can only assume that I'm tracking fewer calories than I'm actually eating. I would really like to stick to my veggie only dinners, but that doesn't fit in with DH's eating all the time. I guess I can only do my best at it. It just makes me feel that I might as well go back to snacking.

By the way, Trish, my friend who is going through the cancer treatment is having a lot of nasty side effects from the radiation and nothing they've given her so far is helping her get relief. I feel bad for her. On the other hand, she is more than half way through her treatment, and then the side effects may take 3-4 weeks to be gone. So provided the treatment worked, she should be back to her old self by summer. There's really nothing I or anyone else can do to help her, but I keep trying to get her to look at how close she's getting to it being over instead of focusing how terrible she feels. She said she likes to sleep because then nothing bothers her. It's sad.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #319  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone:
I am looking at doing this low FODMAP diet for a while, but need to research a bit more before I really start. I downloaded some food lists yesterday, but didn't have time to shop and didn't find a good menu plan. I really want a menu plan because I need a meal plan to manage such a restrictive diet that will remove half the food I eat. Minimal dairy (no lactose) no soy (its in everything and my morning smoothies are now out!) so much I won't be able to have, I need a real plan to manage it. So thats one of my goals today, but didn't sleep well, significant bowel discomfort kept me up half the night. ugh

Carol, when wanting to be helpful for friends whom I really can't help (you can't make the treatment less difficult or relieve the nausea, just not in your power) I find two things are helpful. One is just being there, maybe watching a movie or something with her. Another is being very practical. DO her laundry, vacuum the house, cut the lawn etc. Jobs that may seem too difficult for her when she is feeling so crummy. Its also ok to say, that you are sorry that you know of nothing that will help how she feels. She will feel your friendship just by you being there.

I found one person rather difficult when my Dad died, she kept saying to let her know if there was anything she could do. Repeatedly. She is an acquaintance, not a close friend. it kid of put it into my court to come up with ideas of what she could do. I found it difficult, and felt she was putting me on the spot. I know she is a kind person and wouldn't want to do that to me, but a simple, "may I take the dog for a walk for you" would have been more helpful. So I would suggest that, think of an appropriate task, no matter how small, and offer that.

hope everyone will have a good Monday.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #320  

Mad, I'm sorry you are still having problems. The bowel discomfort keeping you up is disturbing. Are you continuing to get testing for this? It's just not normal and doesn't seem to be minor.

I understand what you're saying about helping my friend. She does have family members who are helping with these things, and also taking her for her treatments when she needs it. There is a problem in that I rarely go to her home because she lives in a 3 story townhouse and I have a lot of difficulty navigating her stairs. They are carpeted, which makes it even worse. She has light decorative railing, whereas I need sturdy railing on each side like I have on my basement stairs. Most of our actual time together is spent with her coming to my home for that reason. I have a similar problem with my step children when their father is not doing well. They will ask "Do you want me to come over and cut your grass?" Naturally, he says no, and that's the end of it. I feel they should just come over and do it, not ask. Step son did that once, but normally just asks and gets a negative response.

My pain level continues to be low/mild. I have not taken the Tumeric for 3 days, so maybe that was not what was helping. I still have some left but I will wait and see what happens before I buy more. It could have been weather related, and the weather has warmed up and dried up somewhat.

I'm going to try to go very low calorie today and see if I can get a weight drop.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #321  
Madeleine

HI everyone
FBS today was 5.9 which is 106 in american values. I would like it to be 5.5 or below 100, but thats not bad so I won't complain too loudly.
I did low carb yesterday, and was low FODMAP (I think) in the evening. but still had some pain this morning. Most of the FODMAP sites say we should not expect big changes right away. But without noticeable change, it may be very hard to stick to the diet for any length of time.
Serving size seems to be a sticking point. The sites say you can have this or that, as long as the serving isn't larger than (whatever they say) . I am also confused that pulses are on the list, although there is discussion of how to eat them, (like rinsing canned kidney beans etc) to reduce their gas producing ability. I was thinking to quit all soy, and most dairy. I am thinking I can have some dairy if I take enzymes to digest the lactose better. I would like to keep my smoothies going. Struggling with what to have for breakfasts without my smoothies.
SO Carol, yes thank you, we are continuing with tests.
My CT scan result didn't give clear results. They ruled out diverticulitis, but did see a problem with the left ovary (most discomfort on the left lower abdomen) though the ultrasound was clear for that. This implies to me that there is something going on there, which makes sense, so they will repeat the ultrasound, also ultrasound the liver ( I suspect I have the typical fatty liver that overweight people get) and a colonoscopy will be booked too. Not sure what the waiting times will be for the colonoscopy.
Although I won't have to pay for any of this care, sometimes we have to wait a bit, if we aren't coming in with an emergency. I am trying to find out if colonoscopy is offered at any of the smaller hospitals that are a little farther away (under an hour) but may not be as busy as the big one in my city.

I hear you about stair rails. People who don't need them don't get it. Ours are still off from the move, and they were not properly anchored anyhow, and DH wants to put them up properly. I sometimes bounce off the walls going up and down, but he doesn't seem to get it when I tell him. We will see how it goes.

Trish, hope things keep improving with your father and he gets his head around assisted living soon, that will take a big weight off your shoulders.

have a good day friends
Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #322  

I don't know what happened to my post last night and when I realized it didn't post, I just didn't feel like typing another one. So here I am this morning.

I was up early today because it is getting daylight earlier here now and my body wants to get up at daylight. Time change next week will make it right I hope. I love the longer daylight. DH doesn't but I love it.

They told DS and me yesterday that Daddy isn't progressing as fast as hoped so he is moving to long-term rehab center over by the hospital they always used. I've decided the hospital we went to this last time isn't as great as I first thought it might have been. They gave Daddy medicine that has actually made him worse.

DS pulled up Daddy's records online and there is no way he was going to be able to strengthen his muscles. We had them remove the gabapentin, but didn't know he is also on a muscle relaxer. That is why his legs give when he stands up. We are hoping he can keep his primary doctor when he goes to the other facility. He chose the facility he is going to because that is where my Step-mom went for a while and he said they are very good. When he is better he can either go home if possible or move into their assisted living section or nursing home if things go that way. It is 10 minutes closer to me and right there at all his doctor's offices etc. So we are happy with this move. He has insurance plus Medicare so he has 100 days of rehab that they will pay for.

Talked to my DS in MS and she weighs 100 lbs. She does Keto diet and has lost all that weight without really trying. I just ordered a book and looked up a few sites online. She even eats fruit on hers so I'm looking into it. She has come off a lot of her meds as well. I know I got everything under control with low carb so I'm going to attempt to go back to it, but using a minimum of fruit. I started it this morning. I know that is the best way so I just have to wrap my mind around it and do it. I know this will work better than CAD and by the time I go back to see the doctor he will be amazed at the improvement of my numbers. I'm going to make this my goal, but this time when I have the improvement, I won't be so stupid as to quit. This time I will make it a lifestyle that I can live with.

Madeleine I looked up that diet you are looking at. I would think it would work with the low carb even though you might have to give up some of the foods we do eat on low carb. What I read seemed to say that you might just have to give up those foods until your digestive track heals and then slowly add things back in to see what your body will and will not handle. I pray all goes well for you. Keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. I think the stress you've had recently isn't helpful either. I know I've had to step back and learn how to de-stress myself because I knew I was headed from health problems myself. A lot of this stuff with my Daddy fell to DH and me and DH is having such a difficult time adjusting to Victoza that now it looks like Daddy's move from the one facility to another is going to fall on me. So take care of yourself dear one. My Mama used to tell me "If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will". I didn't understand much of what she meant then, but I do now.

Carol Sue I am so sorry about your friend having such a hard time with the treatment. I would probably be just like her wanting to sleep through it. I pray she gets through this and lives a long life. I've seen people who have and those who haven't. In fact, I recently thought of a couple of ladies we prayed for in out church in SC and wondered if she was still living. Then I saw on FB where one is back to teaching nursing and the other ones son had wished her happy birthday. I was really surprised about the one we all wished happy birthday, because they were just waiting for her to die when we moved to TX. So some people get through and some don't. I pray your friend does.

Well I have to leave in an hour to go meet Daddy and DS at the Cardiology doctor's office. He has his one year heart check to see how he is doing. Y'all have a great day.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #323  
Madeleine

Trish: living on any restrictive diet is hard. I want to say your sister's weight loss wasn't "without trying". Somethings clicked for her that she was able to stick to her eating plan. As I start this FODMAP plan, I am seeing I will have to carefully plan meals (which DH just hates) because eating on the fly won't work with these restrictions. I will not be able to have much takeout or prepared food, or eat out much. Fortunately, there are more gluten-free alternatives now, (though I won't eat breads) and I will have less problems than I might have had a few years ago. The "gluten free craze" has been great for celiacs and people with IBS.
I think you are right, my symptoms started around the time my father became ill, and all the IBS bloggers say that stress is THE major factor in flare ups. I found one blogger who also does lower carb because she is pre-diabetic as well.
So I hope and pray for you too to have success sticking to a plan.
hugs
Old 03-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #324  

Trish, I agree with Mad, Keto is very restrictive. Very low carb, very high fat. I can't imagine how any fruit could be included and get/keep you in ketosis. But I don't want to judge. You may be at the point where you are so determined to do this that you will succeed, and I am truly rooting for you!! You can do anything you set your mind to do.

Who added muscle relaxers to your Dad's meds, when, and why? This is why I am becoming very disillusioned with the medical community. I would be raising all holy h3ll with them!! When I was in the hospital, they got annoyed with me because any time they brought my meds I asked them what it was and why I was taking it. They got so tired of going through that each time. I think they take advantage of the elderly who assume that they are giving them a med that they truly need. I feel so bad for your Dad to have gone through all this rehab and feel that it was his fault that he could not improve. It really makes me angry.

This might be TMI, but my friend feels that her treatment is working because she no longer has the rectal bleeding that she was having before diagnosis. So something has caused that to stop, and we're hoping it is a sign of healing. She has about 2-3 more weeks of treatment left, and they told her the side effects from the treatment may last a couple weeks after that. So an end is in sight and hopefully she will have complete healing. The treatment she is receiving has a high success rate. Unlike my nephew, who was told in the beginning that his cancer was treatable but not curable and at best would just extend his life for a while, and sadly, that was what happened.

I am doing well. Still just a low pain level. Never gone, but endurable. My eating has been fair, but FBG was 170, and that is an indication that I ate something I shouldn't have. I am still staying out of the 200s, but I want back to the 120s and 130s and would be dileriously happy if I was below that. I woke up at 5AM this morning. Could not go back to sleep so I stayed up until 7 and went back to bed then. I ended up sleeping until 10:30. I guess I needed that sleep, but I hate sleeping that late. I feel like I missed half my day. I have been early to bed early to rise all my life.

Mad, although my friend is 72 years old, she is very young for her age and in very good physical condition. It is more important to her that her home looks classy than to have serviceable hand rails. It's possible that living with all those stairs for so long is what has kept her in such good condition as far as strength and endurance is concerned. If it was me, I'd probably have a couple stair lifts installed by now. LOL

I do hope that you are able to clear up your problems, soon.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-06-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #325  

Madeleine and Carol Sue Thanks for the encouragement for me. I found a kindle book on Amazon and bought it for $.99 because I didn't want to just read it for free. It is for beginners and guides you step by step. One of the things she suggests is easing into Keto eating instead of just jumping in so that you don't get the low carb flu. I am going at it that way because of all that is going on with DH and my Daddy and the fact that DS is about to start the Victoza shots as well. That will leave by myself going to see after Daddy until they get over the initial side effects that are supposed to subside in about a month. I did find a website that shows different ways of doing keto some are not high fat which I don't like doing high fat. In fact, DS uses some lowfat products where she can. She was on lowfat originally and I don't know when she switched to keto. I also joined a group on FB to learn how to switch to keto and get some recipes from them.

DH is on day 5 of Victoza and will up the amount on this coming Friday. The PA sent DH a prescription for the nausea so I talked to the pharmacist when I picked it up about the Victoza. She told me the symptoms he is experiencing should go away in about a month. Now that he knows that he feels it is worth seeing this through if he can because his FBS was 116 today. We don't think he will need the highest dose either. Not sure about the middle dose, but we will find out when he starts it Friday.

Daddy was denied at the facility he requested because they only do 23 day rehab so he doesn't qualify since he needs the 100 days. We took him to the cardiologist and they didn't know why he had been on gabapentin and why he was on the muscle relaxer especially 3 and 4 times a day. DH says the way the muscle relaxer was written that it evidently meant as needed not 4 times a day. He said they way that it was written it wasn't clear if it meant he was to take it 4 times a day as needed or if he could take it as needed but no more than 4 times a day. When DS talked to the nurse, she said he hadn't had any of it, but at this point I think they covered themselves. For one thing, I don't think they like us paying attention to so much.

Cardiiologist technician said his pacemaker test showed that he hasn't had any issues since last visit in October. So Cardiologist took him off the Xeralto because Daddy hadn't had atrifib since then and it could make him feel weak. It will take 3 weeks for that to come out of his system. No one knows why he had the gabapentin or muscle relaxers added. The cardiologist wants him taking the 100 mg Amiodorone every other day instead once a day if he has to be on the muscle relaxer, but he said we should suggest it be removed if no one knows why he is on it. Plus he said Daddy was dehydrated.

We went back to the facility and DS and Daddy talked to the nurse and Daddy told her to scratch the muscle relaxer off. Cardologist said it will take about 48 hrs for that to get out of his system. However, the nurse claims he hasn't been getting it. I went and got Daddy a hamburger and chocolate shake from Whataburger and he ate almost all of it. When I talked to him tonight, he had been drinking fluids all evening and couldn't eat supper when they brought it, but DS and I didn't expect him to be hungry since he ate good for lunch.

I got mad though and I called the front desk because he was left sitting up too high in the bed with no call button and he couldn't reach the bed control. So I called and just asked them to please call the nurses station for his room and tell them he needed a nurse and couldn't call her because he had no call button. Daddy never accuses them and neither do we. He told her that it must have fell off the bed.

He has to go to bed at 6 before his good CNA that is so good to him gets off work. She puts him to bed before she leaves because when he asks the night crew to help him get in bed, they don't come back for 3 hrs to get him to bed.

I have had my fill of them and will have to bite my tongue until we get moved and then I think my DH is going to write a review. This morning his blood pressure was high 179/??. He asked the nurse to come back and check it again later. No one ever came. Therapy came and took him to gym and he told her, "I think you need to check my blood pressure". She checked it and it was 79/34. He asked them to give him some ice water or ice to bring it up. They refused saying they couldn't give it to him. He told that if she didn't give him the water he would be dead in a few minutes and it wouldn't matter. He asked them to have the nurse check his blood pressure again and they never came back to check it.

The cardiology technician told Daddy when his blood pressure goes that low that he should go to the hospital because that is dangerous. Of course, the ice water is what the CHF doctors and clinic has told him to do when his blood pressure goes so low. The technician told us the problem with the nursing homes in this town is that no body wants to work. I agree as we have about 3 or 4 nurses on his floor (may be short handed I don't know as I see them on at least 2 halls there) and I never see them doing much of anything but standing around when we are there. Of course, I'm not there all day so maybe they have most of their work done before I get there. I know when I was NA in nursing home or took care of in home patients that I got all my work done early so I spent the rest of the day taking care things that came up with my patients. I still never had time to sit or stand around. I worked the whole time I was there especially in the nursing home.

Sorry this is so long. I'm mostly sounding off. I just hate incompetence. The RN that we deal with the most told me when I first met her that she does not love her job and the problem is that I'm beginning to think she hates it. She is the one who yelled at him and was shocked when she found out that he has a very sharp mind and jumped right back at her after asking her not to yell at him. I'm sure Madeleine know what I'm talking about, but there are nurses like her who love their job and care about their patients and then there are those who are there just for a pay check. We are disappointed to find this place isn't as great as we were made to think it was.

Oh well, I'm going to try to relax and go to bed kind of early. I've got to get up and go out there tomorrow morning. I just hate leaving him too long because I don't trust them. My only peace of mind is that there is one really sweet CNA who loves my Daddy and calls him Papa. She takes good care of him and she will be there tomorrow and Wednesday. I just hope we can get him moved before her day off.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:47 PM   #326  

Trish, that is just so sad about your Dad. I remember you were excited to get him in there for his rehab and it's a shame they have ended up so incompetent. And everyone is playing dumb about the muscle relaxers and gabapentin. No one know who prescribed it and then they say he hasn't been getting them. It's like a 3 ring circus and your Dad is paying the price.

I don't know how Keto could be done without high fat. It's called Keto because it puts your body in ketosis. If you don't get into ketosis, then you aren't doing true Keto, you're just doing low carb. The couple times I tried to do low carb I bought some keto strips. They never showed me to be in ketosis, so I apparently wasn't going low enough with carbs and I cannot do high fat. It just gives me problems.

I think I did well today. I had eggs for breakfast, with some greek yogurt with blueberries. I had a huge salad for dinner. DH got appetizers from the pizza shop and I ate a couple of those. Can't wait to see FBG tomorrow.

After I get my A1c checked I am going to try stopping my Glimiperide and see what happens. If I get high spikes, I can always go back on it. I still think it is keeping me from losing weight. I'm surprised your DH doesn't have a weight problem from it, but maybe it effects different people differently. I just want to see what happens without it.

Getting sleepy, so I'm off to bed. DH is already there.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #327  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I lost 95% of my weight while on a low fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. I have recently upped my healthy fats (avocado, more olive oil, butter, etc) but ketosis can be achieved without doing high fat.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #328  

Hi IdealProteinNewbie! Thank you so much for giving your input. There's nothing better than getting direction from someone who has already done it and succeeded. I would like to hear more detail about what you ate while in WLM....a typical day's diet. Did you count calories at all? How many carbs per day? Did you check your ketosis with ketostix or do you have a meter? I would love to have a meter, but I heard the test strips for that are very costly. I DO know of some people who lost a lot of weight by eating VLC and also low fat, but I don't know if they were actually in ketosis.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #329  

S/C/G: 304.2/298/124

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone, just wanted to stop in and let you know I haven't disappeared. You all seem to have quite a bit going on in your lives, so sorry to hear about all the health challenges you and your family members are dealing with.

I have several friends that do keto diets and, while challenging, they do love them. One is married to a type 1 diabetic and they have recently received some information about doing keto while living with diabetes. He wanted to try it so we'll see how it goes.

pattygirl63 I'm so sorry about the medication issues and questionable care your father is receiving. It's a sad reality of healthcare that I truly despise. I no longer work in adult care because the care we were giving was nearly always subpar. I tell everyone I know that if you have a loved one in the hospital, someone needs to be there almost all the time. I work in the NICU with preemies and I have found that, while nowhere is perfect, I can give the best care possible working there. Staffing is, mostly, adequate and we have the time to interact with our babies and their families. I pray that your dad's care will improve and people will get their stuff together so that he can receive the care he deserves.

My blood sugars still remain between 96 and 120's. I have only had a few higher while i've been trying different foods to see how my body will react. The highest, 168, was after eating some sugar free candy. I learned about sugar alcohols then so I have no issue avoiding them. I had a 148 and 152, one meal I ate both lite bread on a sandwich AND a soup that had pasta and potatoes, both in the same meal. When only having one my blood sugar was in the 120's. I looked up "normal" blood sugars and it said fasting 80-130 and 2 hours after eating, less than 180(seems high to me). I haven't worked with adults in 18 years so the last I remember, normal was 60-120(our babies have too many issues for me to consider the number we accept useful). Do these numbers sound right? Should I be aiming to stay below a certain number, 180 seems too high to me. I appreciate any information you can give.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #330  

I have had a NSV recently. I have been able to get up out of a chair just using my leg muscles, without holding on, or pushing myself up. I have not been doing my formal exercise as often as I should, but I have been doing leg lifts regularly to strengthen my legs. This has me so happy that when I'm in my computer chair, I keep standing up and sitting down just because I can do it now, like doing a squat!! This may sound trivial to some younger people, but to an old lady who is trying not to lose her mobility, it is remarkable!!

Hi Momtopands. I'm glad you have come back and let us know how things are going. Your blood sugar reading aren't really that high and you should be able to get this under control easily. Testing after meals tells you what you can and can't eat, as you're finding out. For you, one carb is good, and two are not. It really depends on who you talk to when it comes to what reading you should be getting at 2 hours after a meal. 180 used to be the standard I think the ADA still follows this rule. Others say 140 should be the top reading, which is more reasonable, but harder to achieve. There's also recovery to think of....how long it takes your blood sugar to return to normal. Mine takes a really long time, so it's to my benefit to be careful that it doesn't go too high to begin with.

I have been hospitalized a few times in the past several years. I had no problem with my care, except for one time when a nurse insisted that I take Metformin shortly after having a scan with contrast dye. I KNEW I was not supposed to take it, but many patients assume that the medical staff is right, when in this case, she was wrong. I hope you were not offended by my remarks about the medical community. Most do a great job and we are lucky to have people who want to spend their lives taking care of others who need it. But when some make mistakes, people's lives can be at stake.
Closed Thread