Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #211  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Trish, although I'm sorry to hear that your Dad is hospitalized again, I think this is a move in the right direction. I don't think the doctors realized just how much his condition had declined. I think they will really be able to help him in an environment where they can see his progress from day to day. It's possible that when he's released, they will send him to a rehab facility to further improve his ability to take care of himself, and possibly recommend assisted living instead of going home to his apartment. I'm glad the urine test was negative, and hope the cultures are too.

DH slept very well last night and so did I. I expect him to feel so much better today.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Happy Valentines to Everybody!!!

Carol Sue I agree. Doctor didn't give any answers about the future. I don't think he has home in mind though and I really hope for everyone's peace of mind, they will strongly suggest Assisted Living.

Just a quick one. I am running late so headed back to the hospital. They are so full we are waiting for a room. DS called and thank God they are in the same hospital for DBIL surgery. She had called ER and Daddy is still down there. I figure if he gets a room today it will probably be around noon.

I'm excited that my weight is back down to 216.2 this morning and this has happened with our crazy life and not OP. So I'm thinking 2 meals a day is the way for me to go. My FBS is 162 (haven't checked it in days) and I consider all that good.

Hope DH gets and y'all have a great Valentines Day.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #213  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am back home this afternoon. Had a good ski first day, and yesterday did a spa day with aquatic therapy and relaxation, and massage, and manicure. Went out last night for live music and a lovely dinner with DH. Today we were both kind of sluggish though, and it was warm. I didn't enjoy my ski as much, felt like I was running through deep water and was just exhausted, so just had a short ski. DH did his downhill skiing, but didn't over do any day, just 2-3 hours a day. We are both pretty out of shape.
I am using the Noom app to track exercise and food. I am just roughly doing the food, and I don't carry my cell every moment of the day, but so far am on track for exercise, but not for calories.
Have also been having bowel issues.
The ultrasound came back "clear" according to docs office, but I continue to have the issues, and the pelvic discomfort continues.
I will plan to go back to regular eating plan, with pro-biotic smoothies in the morning, and maybe even lunch, and simple meat and greens for suppers for a while. Lets see if I can last a week on this.
I go back on call tonight for a few days, but am very tired.

Trish: lets hope this is the wake up call for assisted living for your father. If everyone gets on board and he tries it for a month, he may be pleasantly surprised. SO glad you are getting a break and can rest.

Carol, hope your DH continues to improve and you can both get back on track.
best wishes all
Old 02-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #214  

Hi Mad. I'm glad you enjoyed your time off, but hope you get rested up before you have to work again. I think you will get back on plan once you get these medical issues ironed out. Hope it isn't anything serious.

Trish, how is your Dad doing? I hope he's improving and getting his strength back. I know it's hard running to the hospital all the time, but it's better than having to stay at his apartment, and it's better for him.

DH is much better. He ate a regular meal tonight...steak, hash browns and broccoli, and he's been sleeping much better, and therefore, so am I. I am not feeling sick at all so far. I don't know how long it would take me to catch it from him. Hopefully, I won't.

My FBG was good this morning, 127. I had some greek yogurt with some Fiber One cereal mixed in and coffee. By lunch time it was up to 193. I don't know why. It could be DP or maybe it's the coffee. Or maybe my body is still storing too much glucose. I will continue eating as I've been and maybe it will improve in time.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #215  

Hi Carol Sue and Mad You girls are on my mind. This is a flyby. I'm headed to beauty shop. I need it today I feel so worn out and ragged.

DBIL wrist repair went very well but more extensive than the doctor thought. 2 plates and 15 screws. He'll drive a airport check in crazy. LOL He is home and in lots of pain, but we knew he would be.

Daddy has not had a stroke. I asked about the mini-strokes but they can only do cat scan because of the pacemaker. They say he has some damage in his neck, but at 94 they can't do surgery. Evidently he has nothing life threatening at least as far as they can tell. He will be going to an aggressive rehab in a few days. They have a lot of places and he made his 2 choices last night and the lady is working on that today. She told him the one he wants is very aggressive, but he said that is what he want. I am praying they will strongly recommend assisted living.

With my sister not being able to help me, I am really tired. I will be glad when he gets to rehab. I can go in and see him probably different times during the day. I won't be so rushed to get out there and won't have to stay so long to see doctors etc. I do come home to sleep, but have going right back to stay on top of what is going on.

Mad Interesting you mentioned the probiotic smoothie. I'm having one right now because it is so much easier to make a shake and drink it than to cook right now. DH and I grabbed burgers the past 2 days. I am sick of burgers and fried chicken. I'm ready for real healthy food. I think I'm going to do 2 shakes a day and a meal until things get settled. Weight was up 2 lbs today, but I know it was the burgers and eating them so late.

Have a good day. I'll check in again tonight.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #216  

Trish, I'm so glad you Dad did not have a stroke and has nothing life threatening at this point. I hope he gets his strength back and the rehab facility helps him. I'm also glad your BIL is home from the hospital and recouperating.

I wouldn't worry about weight or FBG at this point. There is too much going on with you and it's so hard to stay on plan when you don't know what you will be eating. The shakes are a good idea. I just can't do shakes and feel that I had my meal. It's good that you are able to do that.

I had another good eating day yesterday. I had Glimiperide around lunch time and then just had a big salad for dinner. At bedtime my BS was 105 and this morning it was 118. I got up to go to the bathroom around 6 but did not test. I went back to bed and didn't get up until 10 and that's when I tested. So the time has nothing to do with it. It's after I drink my coffee that it spikes. I'll see what happens today. I've had my scrambled eggs.

My weight is down to 198. It took so long to go from 199-198. I know this is going to be slow going but I do not want to go back over 200. Just continue downward, however slow.

I think the key for me is eating a vegetable evening meal and no snacking afterwards. This is a big change for me and I hope I can continue this.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-16-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #217  

Yesterday when I went to the store I needed my Little Big Bread. I can only get it at Target and didn't want to make a special trip there, so I bought Ezekiel Wheat 4:9 bread in the regular grocery store. I had never had it before. It's expensive. $7.19 compared to $3.59 for the Little Big Bread. I was also disappointed because it is 80 calories per slice rather than 55 calories in the Little Big Bread. I just toasted a slice and it is exceptional! So much better, I think I may continue buying it. I hope the good taste doesn't start me bingeing on it, as bread is one of my main weaknesses. It is made from a lot of very healthy ingredients and actually contains 4 gm of protein per slice. I will also have to see what it does to my blood sugar.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-19-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #218  
Madeleine

Carol, ezekiel is a bread I can tolerate and doesn't spike my blood sugar as much as others. Its the sprouted grains, much healthier for us, and the extra protein slows down the carb absorption. Im so glad you like it. Had the Konjac noodles today with marinara sauce and chicken thighs cut up in it. I am hoping the high fibre will help with my bowel issues. And its nice to have "spaghetti". Its pretty easy as well.
Trish, so glad your father has some help, you need a break. I'm younger than you and I found the time with my Dad very draining and exhausting.
Take the break while you can, and just do your best. You are not a nurse, and not his nurse. I worked to draw that line with my father, even though I am a nurse! best wishes there
Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #219  

Mad, the Little Big Bread I buy at Target is also sprouted grain bread. It's made by Silver Hills and isn't sold in a lot of places. One of the things I like about it is it is 110 calories for 2 slices so I can use it for a sandwich without a lot of calories, and it's pretty good, but the Ezekiel tastes better IMO. The Ezekiel costs twice as much, but if I like something, I don't mind paying the cost.

I ate more than I planned today. DH went out and got batter fried cod and mac and cheese. It was good, and I had 1700 calories for the day as a result of eating that. I hope to be back to my lower cals and more veggies tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #220  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Carol: I pop in every so often - congrats on Onderland! That is so exciting!!!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #221  

Madeleine You are so right. Thanks for the advise. I have a tendency to help when the nurses aide has no help. Plus Daddy has a habit of asking me to do things I really shouldn't do... pulling on him and trying to help him in some way that isn't good for me to do. Usually I try and can't do it (he is a big man) and he gives up on me helping him. I just try to do what I am allowed. I told therapy that it is the hardest thing for me to sit or stand by and watch them try to get him to do certain things he can't do right now because I want to go help him do it.

He has been approved to go to the Rapid Recovery Center here in Waco. It is further from me but actually easy to get to from here because it is right behind the hospital. It is possible for him to be moved today, but I'm not sure but what it could be tomorrow or even Monday before they move him. I didn't run out there this morning because he has grandkids coming in today so he will have a lot of company. DH and I will go when he gets up. I read up on it and it is a nursing home as well so after having worked in nursing homes myself and seeing how some workers are in them, we will be going in but will not go at the same time everyday. There are enough of us when DS hubby gets well that we can all wonder in at all hours. Daddy has a really good attitude so I really don't think he will have any problems but it doesn't hurt to be cautious. I looked it up and it has never had any issues and is a 5* so I'm sure all will go well and I can relax about it.

Daddy actually asked to go there and the case worker warned him it was a very aggressive therapy and he said that is what he wants. This is why the therapists think they can get him back to a quality life even on his own at home. I don't understand it all. To me he is worse. They say he has no strokes, but he does have a couple of bulging discs in the neck area but I'm not sure where or which discs since I wasn't there when the doctor came in. I only get the info from my cousin who was there when the doctor told Daddy and she relayed that to me on FB. They can't do surgery because of his age so I don't understand how therapy is going to get him back to where he was or better. I'm still hoping for assisted living not home because I don't want to go through the therapy of 2 to 4 weeks and then get him home and be back where we are now. DH and I are recovering from just a few days of trying to lift him etc and I don't think our bodies can take another round of that. The OT told me he would not be going to a nursing home so we will see. He seems so much weaker to me. I figure I will at least get some rest and relief while he is in therapy and after that we will do what we have to do.

Carol Sue I like the Ezekiel bread, but it is pricey. I think I have the recipe to make it in a book here, but if I remember right it takes a lot of special ingredients I don't have a way of getting and I think it would be expensive to make. I think it is made with some sprouted ingredients and I don't have time to do that so it is easier to buy. I like the idea of 16 g of protein.

Well, I've gained back 3 lb of the 6 I had lost Monday, but I still have a few days to lose that before next Monday. I am so very tired of fast food. My body is actually craving good food. In fact, I was going to drink a Slim-Fast this morning when I thought I was going to go to the hospital and when I decided not to go. I was going to drink it any way, but when I opened the fridge I saw 2 ready made salads I had bought Daddy and brought home when he went into the hospital. My body was so excited to see those salad that I just had to eat the chicken ceaser salad. I used my own dressing and ditched the one that came with it. So I am back OP. I am craving healthy CAD eating.

DH and I will go out and visit with Daddy a little while when he gets up and then come back home and I'm going to make homemade BLTs on our SL multigrain bread.

The Speech Therapist said she thinks Daddy has acid reflux and needs to learn to eat and drink slower and maybe should have smaller meals throughout the day. I thought about how my family eats. I taught myself to slow down and chew my food and I notice my DS and I both try to take smaller bites and wait before taking next bite. My family always gulped their food down. I used to do that and then I would be so miserable that my belly was so full. I remember one time suffering all night and I told the Lord "God if you let me live through this I will never eat like that again". This is why IE works so good for me because it teaches you to stop eating before you get stuffed. That is also why I don't like eating a lot of fiber because I can't stand the "full" feeling.

On CAD I can have small CM and one balanced RM. After talking to the SPT, I think I may change my eating habits. This will mean depending more on the A1c than my meter but I think I am going to try it and just see how it works for me. Besides, I would like to eat more low carb and this will be possible since CM are low carb. Plus I don't have to have a CM every so many hours so I can combine it with IE. I just don't want to have the problems Daddy has as I get older.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #222  

Thanks IdealProteinNewbie. Now to stay there! LOL

Trish, at our hospital, they will not let you go home if you do not have someone there to help you. You have to go somewhere else, like a rehab or assisted living, even if temporary. My BIL lived alone, so his ladyfriend quit her part-time job so they would let him come to her house when released. If it's the same at your hospital, make sure you tell them that your Dad has no one at home to help him and maybe they won't send him home.

The Ezekiel bread tastes so much better than any similar bread so I don't mind the cost. I'm the only one who will be eating it so I have it in the freezer and will only eat one slice per day. If I start eating more, I will stop buying it. LOL Here are the ingredients. I like that it has all the sprouted grains, like barley, millet, lentils, soybeans and spelt. I think that's what makes it taste so good.

Ingredients

Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

The store I bought mine in is a very expensive store but it was closer to home than Walmart. Next time I'm in Walmart I will see if they carry it. It would probably be cheaper there.

I overate again today because we went out. It's because it's a weekend. I did eat a big salad, but DH ordered a meatball stromboli and I ate some of that. I actually felt a little nauseated after eating it, I think because I have not been eating that much. I also eat too fast. They tell you not to be doing anything else when you eat, like on the computer or reading, but if I'm doing something else my eating slows down. Sometimes my food actually gets cold.

We are getting snow again now, and then the temps are going to go back up during the coming week, up near 70!!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-17-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #223  

Well, Daddy is settled in the Rehab. It is really nice and I love the fact that he didn't have to get in the bed. He was able to stay up in the wheelchair they used to transport him. Also he has asked and asked the hospital to bring things for him to drink and honestly I think they didn't want to be bothered to thicken the drinks. They brought him a thickened drink for supper and when we left to come home, someone was bringing him a large glass of thickened milk.

Daddy said the hospital was good to him, but I didn't like the fact that he told me yesterday when he asked me for a glass of water that the nurse gave him plain water. Then today someone had given him a straw which he wasn't supposed to have. I'm just glad he is in a place where he will get proper care and I can now relax. I can sleep in tomorrow and don't have to rush over to see him.

We came home and had bacon sandwiches. My bs was 118.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #224  

Trish, why is your Dad supposed to have thickened drinks? I must have missed something there. I'm glad he is in Rehab and will be getting proper care. Hopefully they can help him get his strength and independence back, or if not, convince him he has to have assisted living.

I hope I can really stick to plan today. I have an appointment with the cardiologist tomorrow and I want my blood pressure to be good. I might take a water pill in the AM. That should help. I just don't want him to change/increase my meds at this time. I am finally losing weight, albeit slowly, and I notice as my weight goes down, so does my blood pressure. I would rather do it this way than with more pills. I am on 5 pills a day now for blood pressure, so I think I need to try a different protocol.

I also need to stick more to my chosen plan rather than eating something just because DH is eating it.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #225  
Madeleine

Trish: what do the thicken the juices and water with? Is this to help with reflux?
Hope the rehab goes well for him, and glad you will have the break. I agree with Carol, just keep pounding on the fact that he is alone, and there are definite goals in rehab before someone can be on their own. They can help him get to the idea of assisted living if needed.
I am not doing so well, not able to stick to plan, craving a lot, and weight is up. The discomfort is worse, had me up in the night too.
Plan is for a trail walk later today, and I go off call at 8 pm, its been a quiet weekend.
I still have no real desire for work, so thats been fine with me.
Closed Thread