Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue One thing you and I have learned over the years is that just because we can have some food on a diet does Not mean we can have it. There just certain foods that are triggers for me that are not triggers for others. Congratulations on preparing ahead of time so you aren't tempted to eat what he eats when in the car. I believe we are making progress.

DH and I have what I call our own stash of snack foods. He has his single serving bag of potato chips. I could have one, but too much sodium in it so I have my single serving bag of SP popcorn which is on 100 calories instead of the 160? in the potato chip bag and a whole lot less sodium. I have my Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches and he has his less fat/sugar ice cream. He is disciplined enough to dip out a serving of his ice cream. I'm not. Therefore, I compensate by having the individually wrapped bars. I think we are learning how to disciple ourselves so we can even control some of our weaknesses and that means you and I are learning how to be successful with what we are doing.

This morning I realized that I am not able to drink Slimfast by itself. It has vitamins etc in it, but it is not geared for a diabetic on its on. However, I will admit that at home, I use the Magic Bullet to add fruit to it which I am not able to do at Daddy'. Also, I get up much earlier with Daddy each morning than I do at home and I usually have breakfast with my sister when she comes in to relieve me. I decided this morning to drink a Slimfast to hold me until she got there. My FBS was 107 already and obviously the Slimfast doesn't raise it. I ended up mildly dizzy for a few minutes. So I'm not going to be taking Slimfast with me any more. It is the advanced nutritional with 20 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar, but just not friendly to my system or doesn't work with Trulicity. Not sure which. From now on if I need something that early, I will have a slice of 45 calorie bread with a little bit of peanut butter like I do at night for a snack with the small serving of popcorn.

All this has helped me to discipline myself to 2 meals and a couple of mini-snacks a day. The one thing I like about the Miracle Diet is that is similar to Dr. Jung is that it is okay to wait 5 hrs to eat. I may use that principle when I don't have to go spend the night at Daddy's any more. That could be worked into any plan. My sister stopped and got us taquitos for breakfast from Whataburger and I couldn't eat it all. I got home and realized that I could have cut it in half and ate half with her and brought the other half home for a snack later. That would help me eat less if I did more of those things.

Carol Sue, we have both struggled through the years to get to this point in our lives to where we know what will work for us. I believe this will be the year that we will succeed. I am so proud of both of us. Be blessed friend.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #47  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI Friends: its a long while since I have been here. Current A1C was 5.9
I have gone off Metformin for this week and will do a new 75 g glucose test tomorrow am. My doctor wants to make sure the Metformin isn't masking diabetes and I am still "pre-diabetic" .
So we were discussing diet. I said I would go to the dietitian and educator, but only if she also referred me for addiction counselling, which would be covered on my benefits plan.
I know perfectly well how I "should" eat, but I am craving sugar. I can't sit at a table with food on it without hoovering all the food. I eat when I am not hungry, I will stuff myself after a perfectly satisfying meal. I have to admit, I am an addict, and that I need help and treatment for that, or I will forever be losing the same 10 pounds.
DH and I had some big problems in the summer with his family, we all have cottages near each other. After all the work we put into our place, we have decided to sell it at the end of this coming summer. So upside of that is that we will have more money for retirement and have all our debts paid off.
DD is getting a divorce, having found her husband was not supportive when she was seriously ill in the spring. SO our family life has turned upside down. Right now I am working very hard not to drown my sorrows in Sugar. I never was one for alcohol or drugs, but sugar I will abuse!
TTFN,
Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #48  

fatmad I have thought of you often. In fact, I mentioned you to someone the other day and how I really miss you. Hope you will come here more often.

So sorry for all the problems with family and your DD life turned upside down with the divorce. I hope you get answers you need for you blood sugar and the addiction. I recently met with a diabetic dietician and educator and got some much needed answers. It is nice that they are there if I need them again, but I don't need to go back.

We recently moved back to TX to be near my 93 yr old Daddy and help my sister with him. The best move for us because DH and I have a new doctor who is very supportive and willing to help me more with getting my glucose under control. The doctor in SC never would put me on anything else when the Metformin started causing me problems and I had to come off it. He never sent me to a dietitian either.

I am on Trulicity and I took my 6th shot last Thursday. I like taking the shot only once a week. My FBS was 107 this morning and bs before lunch was 100. I am very happy with the results. It seems to also curb my appetite.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things go for you.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Mad! It's so good to see you here again. I used to be like you...craving things right after eating a full meal. Even DH would see me with something and say "You just ate dinner!" He couldn't understand how I could do that. I don't really know how I changed that. I did not do any counseling. I did have one episode like that recently and realized it was because I ate a bigger dinner than I should have. For some reason, when my stomach is full, I want to eat more and more, but if I eat just enough to satisfy, I don't get the cravings. I had to realize that about myself in order to get it under control. Either way I am a very slow loser. I have dropped 5 lbs and am struggling to get it to go lower. And eating smaller meals is still not coming naturally. I have to be very aware of what and how much I'm eating to keep my appetite from going into overdrive. Good luck to you with this. I know you can do this, and I really think the stress of some of the things going on in your life is contributing to this.

One thing I can think of that helped me eat smaller meals is this. I told myself that I could put the extra food away and it will still be there if I get hungry later on, I do not have to eat it all now. Most of the time I would end up forgetting that the extra food was there because truly, I was satisfied with what I ate. We have to teach our bodies new tricks.

Trish, for me, it's better if I remove the non nutritious snacks from my life altogether. The only way those single serve snacks would work for me is if I bought them one at a time. I have seen the Skinny Cow ice cream treats in grocery stores, and I know if I had them in the freezer I would eat them all in one or two days. Back when I was still eating chocolate candy, I would buy a single bar sometimes when going through the check out line so I could eat that and then it was gone. I could not limit myself if I had more at home, even if they were single serve. Know what I mean? Just posting this made me realize I have not bought a candy bar in the check out line for months and months. I broke that habit somehow. I have even changed my habit that I can go to Dairy Queen with DH when he gets ice cream and I am fine not having any. I allow myself to get it once each summer, and that has worked for me for 2 years now.

Yesterday, we went to my Step-son's for my birthday, which is Tuesday. They got me a small cake. They know I don't eat cake but they like cake. LOL My 8 year old grandson sang to me and I blew out the candles and then they ate cake. It didn't bother them that I didn't eat any, but it did bother DH. I think he thought I was rude not to have some when they got it for me, but they didn't seem to feel that way. And that's how it should be. Really, I don't even like cake anymore. We had had lunch before we went, and while I was there I did eat some cheese she had cut up and 2 Triscuits. It's not like I was rude and didn't have anything. And who says you have to eat when you don't want to, to be a good guest? It shouldn't be that way. Things can be provided and those who want it can partake. I wanted the cheese cubes. I did not want any cake. It's all OK.

One thing from Diabetes Miracle that I am waivering from is eating something first thing in the AM. The first couple days I was eating a slice of cheese, but I got away from that. I will have to stock up on more cheese so I can continue. I got so used to IF that I don't want my real breakfast of eggs until later in the day, closer to lunch time. Right now I am low on eggs and need to go to the store. I used a lot of them the day I baked. I usually buy 3 dozen at a time since we use so many. Because I only have a few left, I have been eating only 1 for breakfast instead of two, and not eating one at bedtime. The past couple days I had a few nuts at bedtime instead of the egg. Last night my blood sugar was still under 200 but a little higher than it should have been, probably because of the Triscuits. But I didn't want to take any meds, remembering the night I had the bad low. So I expect it will be a little higher than normal this morning, but I'm still hoping for under 200. I want my blood sugar and my weight both to be under 200. LOL
Old 01-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #50  

Peeking in to say I'm still around, started walking more this week. That feels good. Also got back on plan,,even better.
Welcome back Mad you are going thur a lot
Carol looks like your finding your new way of eating
Trish I'm glad trulicity is working!!

Me I'm down 4 pounds since I got back on track..
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #51  
Madeleine

Trish, I know you could never handle the metformin and an alternative is a good idea so you too can live to be 93 like your Daddy. Glad the move is working well. Carol Sue, I am like you, if there are treats, they get eaten. So right now the house is low on treats and I told DH to eat stuff at work, and never let me know if there is stuff elsewhere.
He has a drinking problem, so I usually don't leave alcohol around to tempt him. He did well over the holidays when there was stuff around, I was really happy for him. But now its gone. and the holiday food stuff is gone too.
So hoping we can both do better.
PA, good to hear from you too. Hope the melting snow doesn't ice up for us too much.

Have been off the metformin for a week as the doc wanted and did my 75 gram glucose test. Turned out to be a bad day for it, was called to work between the 2nd and 3rd blood draw, had a nurse at the hospital draw the 3rd tube and had some difficulty, so I am a bit bruised, not her fault at all and she doesn't usually do blood draws, so no blame to her. Did the lipids and kidney tests too. Will look for the results later this week, and will likely see my doc again next week to go over the results. I am thinking I have not become a full diabetic since last tested, I didn't have the thirst after the glucose drink. and Didn't get a terrible low blood sugar after the test, even though it was another 2 hours before I got food! I guess I will know soon.
best wishes all, hope the weather isn't too bad where ever you are.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #52  

Hope you blood test turns out good, Mad.

I am still struggling at 202, just can't get past that 200 mark. I am trying to eat very light today because we are going to Tx Roadhouse for my birthday dinner. We were supposed to go yesterday but didn't make it. I eat well there.....chicken, a salad and broccoli. No potato or bread. My treat will be an onion blossom appetizer. I can give up all other carbs for a taste of that. They sent me a coupon for it for my birthday!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #53  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROL SUE I hope it has been a great one. It is always so much easier for me to eat OP regardless of what plan I am on when we go eat at a steakhouse. They make it so easy to eat healthy.

fatmad I am happy with the results I'm having with the Trulicity and I really believe when I can get back to a good routine not having to stay at Daddy's at night will help a lot. I surely hope you get some really good info that will help you from the tests you are having done. I think your DH understanding your addiction and working with you will be a big help.

I am home tonight. We are giving Daddy a little independence by letting him stay by himself tonight to see how it goes. He promised to keep his cell phone by the bed so he can call 911 and/or us if he needs to. His Medical Alert System will arrive sometime between now and Monday. I hope it gets here quickly. We got the fall alert as well as a GPS so he can wear it anywhere he goes. He has to wear it 6" away from his pacemaker so we are going to figure out a way to pen it to his clothes if it doesn't hang far enough away from it.

When I am home, I am still working. I've got loads of clothes to wash tonight and tomorrow night as well. I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight. I also look forward to see what I weigh since I haven't had a chance to do that in over a week.

Catch y'all tomorrow. Good night.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #54  

Back OP today. Calorie Counting, exercise etc. Able to get back on a good routine since Daddy did really good last night. I've been able to keep my weight at 216.2 and it was 215 the last time I logged into MFP. My FBS was 118 this morning. My WI day is Saturday or Sunday so I just might be able to keep the 215 now that I am able to be more in control of my eating... less fast food. I consider that progress because a 1.2 gain with what I've been through for a month isn't all that bad.

I talked to Daddy this morning. I can see that he will get better and better with us just going over to check on him during the day/week and calling him than he was doing with us there. He said he went to bed around 10 pm and didn't get up until about 8:30 this morning. Had already had a cappuccino and cooked his breakfast and was getting ready to eat when I called. My sister is going over so he can take a shower since we don't want him taking one without anyone there and she is going to do his wash for him. We will get lunch go over and have lunch with him tomorrow after our beauty appointment. I will cook dinner for all of us Saturday and have my DS and BIL bring him out to my house so he can get out of the apartment for a few hours. As soon as his Medical Alert system comes and we set it up, we can let him have more time with us going over so much. I thank God for how good he is doing.

Fatmad Have you heard from your test yet? Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Carol Sue How was your birthday celebration?

p.a. How is that new baby doing?

Have a blessed day everybody.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #55  
Madeleine

Default blood work

I will post the numbers when I have them in hand, didn't bring the results back from the office.
My fasting is high, over normal and under diabetic, so call elevated fasting glucose.
My 1 hour was very high, and the 2 hr was also elevated, between normal and diabetic, so glucose intolerant.
I go back to the doc in a couple of weeks. I will ask for an increase in my metformin dosing, as I am worried about kidney and blood vessel damage long term. And I hope she will consider the addictions counsellor. Of course, I have been doing very well this week. I will likely start doing some testing again.

IN addition, the other tests showed elevated potassium, This can be a sign of kidney problems. I have had higher potassium before. But all the other kidney tests are fine, so I am a little puzzled about this one, hydrating a lot and will repeat this test next week before i see the doc again.

It a bit upsetting. I know I really lost control over and after the holidays. Eating carbs really gets me craving carbs and sugars, so i have to be very careful.
and I wasn't.
Thanks for you support everyone, its nice to be back
Old 01-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #56  

Madeleine I say all the time that diabetes and glucose intolerance are so confusing to me. I never understand how it works although I know what the books say. It is strange to me how sometimes things look fairly good and other times they don't. I've always heard that if you could keep your FBG reading under 120 that you aren't doing any damage to your organs. Now I wonder if that is true or not. I am praying for you to figure out what to do because you had it under control for so long. I know you can and will do it again.

I've had 2 days of 116 FBG reading. Yesterday when I checked before we at our main meal it was 96. So Trulicity is working. I don't know how it works but as long as I get those readings I will be happy. My weight was back down to 214.2 this morning but won't change it until Sunday or Monday.

Today I am going back to CAD. I like the idea of lowcarbing for 2 meals and snacks and one meal with the carbs I would miss if I was doing a very low carb woe. I am going to work at keeping the carbs down around 90 g if I can. I have been eating some Lifesavers lately and I actually think that much sugar makes me dizzy. I wonder if that even makes sense, but every time I eat them I get dizzy a few hours later. I think I will take them to my Daddy. He likes them.

Off to the beauty shop. Going to get an anniversary card for DH. Today is our 14th Anniversary and I completely forgot it until he handed me a card last night. I felt so bad because I didn't know what it was for at first. I'm the one who always remembers and he is the one who forgets. Just too much going on these days. Lunch with Daddy after beauty shop. DH and I will be eating out to celebrate our anniversary. So a lot of eating out today.

Carol Sue Where are you? Check in and let us know how you are doing.

Have a good day.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #57  

I'm here and doing fine. My weight is up 2 lbs, but it will come back down. I eat mostly low carb but when I eat larger meals I get in trouble. Have to work at keeping meals smaller. I had a slice of toast today with my eggs, the first time in months. I keep my bread in the freezer and honestly, I forget it's there. Bread no longer has the draw it had on me. I am surprised that I can say that, finally. Rarely do I have sweets or ice cream. I have really come a long way. But nothing is completely off the menu. I have a slice of pizza occasionally when DH gets it and pasta once in a while. But mainly it's eggs, meat and veggies for me, and I'm fine with that. I am happy with my diet. My exercise is another story. I really need to work on that.

Hope you enjoy your anniversary dinner, Trish. And I'm glad your Dad is doing so well, too.

Mad, I think you will be able to get your lab work back in line. You have not advanced to full diabetes and that's a big plus. Good luck to you.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #58  

Fasting blood sugar was up this morning, but no surprise. I knew it would be because of the goodies I indulged in last nigh. I forgot to check it before lunch.

I decided to take out my WWSP materials and started back on WW today. I did do better on it before so giving it another try. I did not join at this time but may later although with the WW calculator and the way most restaurants put nutrition info online these days, it should be fairly easy to figure points.

Well I spilled wine on my pc keyboard last night and didn't realize until this morning. If it doesn't dry out so I can type etch, I will get new one. I have been baking this one for a while as it is. DH keeps telling me I need to get a new one, but I just hate to get rid of this one. Now I will think about it. I am using the onboard keyboard using mouse to type.

I had a new low weight this morning of 213.6, but not ready to post it until it stays. If it the same tomorrow then I will track it since I want Sunday to be my WI day.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #59  

New low this morning. Down to 212.8 this morning. Will continue the WWSP as it is teaching me portion control and I am pickier witg what I will spend pts. on as some food costs more in points than they did calories. FBG 133 which is a little higher, but according to my meeting with the dietician keep eating healthy and exercising and it will come together.

DH tried to fix my pc, but keyboard is gone. He ordered another one and will replace it. He had to do that with his a few years ago. I just don't want to spend the money on a new one right now if I don't have to I will use my kindle until oc is fixed.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #60  

Trish, are you getting a new PC or just a new keyboard? Your weight is really coming down nicely!! Congratulations.

Nothing is really new with me. We ate at the casino buffet last night and I was surprised my BS was still below 200 at bedtime and also this morning. I don't eat any starchy carbs there, but I had meat, carrots and one chunk of broasted potato. I am loving how the starchy carbs don't interest me anymore. This morning DH got breakfast from McDonald's and I just ate the eggs and sausage. I doubt if I'm in ketosis because of the veggies , but I know my carbs are pretty low. When I do track they are usually around 50-70 per day.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Closed Thread