Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I hope you have found something that will work for you. I no longer have that book. I gave it to a friend in SC. I knew it wouldn't fit into my lifestyle.

Today is WI day for me and I'm down 2 lbs. which is a blessing since I've been eating a lot of fast food while spending so much time at the hospital and running for my Daddy. My sister came in from MS last night and she and her DH are staying with Daddy for 2 weeks. They are on the same low sodium diet he is on and she will be cooking for him these net 2 weeks which frees me up to get back on to my woe. He probably will be able to care for himself when she goes back home.

Actually what I am doing is working. Today is WI day and I'm down 2 lbs. I think counting calories and eating sensibly and healthy is the what I'm doing. Although for the past 3 weeks we have not been eating that way so much, I have worked hard to not go over my calorie count too much. Plus I've been active walking a lot since I couldn't always find a handicap parking place and even when I did it still was a long walk to the building Daddy was in at the hospital and a long walk from the elevator to his room or where he was for surgery or procedures. Plus when I could, I would use my recumbent bike. So it has paid off with a weight loss and my FBS has pretty well stayed in the 130 to 140s range and I even saw a 125 during that time.

I am going to work at more real food and stop eating so many processed foods. I noticed today that my turkey bacon and sausages have more sodium because they are processed. I think eating the real thing would be better. I know the other is lowfat, but like Daddy's dietitian told me, when they take out the fat they replace it with either sodium or sugar. So I will become more alert to the labels and choose more wisely.

As we have always said here, One size doesn't fit all. Obviously counting calories works for me and I hope you are finding what works for you too Carol Sue.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I still don't know if I have this Diabetes Miracle book. I haven't taken the time to look through what I have, but I got the one from the library anyway and I can renew it online if I want to keep it longer. I still have not gotten to the part where it tells me what to eat, but I know from what I've read so far that for 8 weeks you eliminate starchy carbs, which I what I primarily do now. It's more the timing of the food that's different for me. You eat within one hour of getting up and within 1 hour of going to bed. It doesn't necessarily have to be a meal at that time. It can be a snack, but you never go more than 5 hours without eating, so no IF anymore. It wasn't helping me, anyway. And you don't start this plan one day and the next day you see results. It takes time for your body to adjust. It says at least 4 days, but more if you are more IR. Trish, I've been at this for what? 30 years? What's a couple more weeks? It's really funny, but in this book it says that when your blood sugar starts to go down, you can start to gain weight, just like so many of us have said, but the difference is the exercise offsets that. Not by the calories it burns, but the effect on insulin resistance. That's why they suggest the 2 exercise sessions per day. It's a completely new concept for me, but what do I have to lose besides 2 weeks?

The only thing that will stop me from doing this plan is if it says no eggs, or no chicken. Those are 2 foods that I don't ever intend to give up. I hope that tonight I can get to the part in the book where it tells you what to eat. I have done well with my food today, but want to start this plan tomorrow.

I really don't eat much processed food. I very seldom buy any bacon or sausage, and this turkey bacon and sausage was different for us, just something I wanted to try, and I still don't think I will continue buying it except occasionally. I like my breakfast just fine with my eggs and maybe some veggies mixed in. I never felt that I needed the meat unless I was eating out and it came with the meal.

My friend who lost the 30 lbs. really eats a lot of carb and processed food it seems. She has cut back on carbs, but she still eats things like sugar sweetened cereal every morning or an english muffin, and rice cakes with peanut butter for lunch. Cottage cheese. Yogurt. She doesn't eat many veggies except cucumbers and radishes in a salad, and not much meat except a chicken leg now and then. I could never eat like she does. But she is losing weight, she has dropped her A1c, so who am I to criticize? I don't want to eat like she does, and would never want to push her to eat like I do. We are all individuals and all need to find what works!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #33  

I quit eating turkey anything other then real turkey meat....no more fake stuff!! It's full of crap that isn't good for us... I know cook real bacon and sausages , and a pig at a time, and freeze it. Then portion it out.
Today I got in a great walk...I'm tired now. Lots of fresh air.
I tried making that cauliflower rice that is making the internet rounds,,, it tastes like stir fry,,,not even close to rice.

Enjoying a bit of warmer weather here....
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #34  

p.a. I've been thinking the same thing about the fake stuff. I've decided the real thing is much better and a lot less sodium. I have nothing against the cauliflower rice however, it still tastes like cauliflower. I tried faux mashed potatoes with it, but it was still cauliflower taste. LOL I actually like cauliflower, but I eat it as cauliflower.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #35  

I normally don't like fakes either, but the thing with the bacon and sausage, I don't like the fatty taste and feel of the real, or the saltiness of real bacon. I don't get that with the turkey and I actually enjoy it. It's still not something I would buy on a regular basis, but I rarely buy regular bacon or sausage either. The only time I eat it is if I'm eating out and there's no other option.

I have made the cauliflower rice and I like it as fried rice with veggies and scrambled eggs in it. Tastes the same as fried rice to me. So I prepared some and froze it in portion size bags and will see how it is when I defrost it. I have learned to stay away from mashed potatoes, so I have no interest in having cauliflower mashed potatoes.

I am down to 202 this morning and FBG 155. I don't know how the 202 happened. I stood on the scale in shock, looking around to see what could be causing that. LOL Maybe i'm dehydrated. I'm hoping I can get it to stick. Onederland is not far away.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #36  

Ughh I keep trying cauliflower recipes and they all taste like cauliflower to me....Trish I like cauliflower but when recipe says rice or pizza that's what I want to taste.
One recent recipe I tried is a low carb bagel dog,,,never had one before so didn't know what it should taste like, and I loved this one! I know not supposed to count calories on low carb but I'm pretty sure this one is calorie heavy. So I will keep it as a treat.
Carol nice loss good for you
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #37  

Carol Sue Glad you got the 202 this morning as well as the FBS being 155. I knew it would finally come together for you. Won't be long till you reach onderland.

p.a. I feel the same way. I will keep cauliflower as cauliflower. You just can't trick my taste buds. LOL

Nothing new to report here. I'm staying with my Daddy tonight. Dear baby sister suddenly decided they want to visit a lot of their other family members here rather than take care of our Daddy so it falls back on my other sister and me. I told my sister that we should have expected it. DS DH said he wasn't surprised and my DH said let them do whatever they want to do and he, DS and her DH and I will continue doing what we were doing before they came here. Her DH is on some kind of probation and I think they used my Daddy's illness as an excuse to get away and come here. Whatever. It isn't my problem if I don't allow it to be. All my other sister and I and our hubbys care about is getting Daddy well and independent again. That should happen within the next few weeks. He is doing really good. We took him to his primary doctor and he was pleased with Daddy's progress. We see the cardiologist Thursday morning. So my sister will come stay with him in the day time and I will come back to stay at night until Daddy can stay alone. We may get the go ahead on that Thursday. That way my sister and I can take turns coming to check on him each day.

Weight was up today because I went on a binge. Today I've had Slim Fast except for the baked fish DBIL brought us for dinner. FBS was 137 this morning so that was good.

I'm tired and headed to bed soon. Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #38  

FBS this morning 122. I don't have my scales to weigh on so don't know about weight. I think I will continue the lowcarb Slim Fast diet for a little longer.

Have a good day.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #39  

Trish, that sounded so funny when you said you went on a binge. You never do that, and it doesn't really sound like that's the way you've been eating. If the Slim Fast satisfies you and it's helping, go for it.

I am continuing what I'm doing. This morning I woke up really early. When I came out here I ate a slice of swiss cheese. I wasn't hungry, because I'm not accustomed to eating early anymore, but this new plan I'm trying says to eat something within an hour of waking, so I did. Then around 10 I had 1 egg scrambled with 2 sliced mushrooms. We went shopping, and when I came home I ate 2 slices of deli turkey. Now I'm cooking a pot roast with carrots, potatoes and onions, and am cooking some brussels sprouts on the stove. My plan is to eat a small serving of each. I could say I'm a little bit hungry, but the feeling is barely there. Right now I am used to eating very small portions and I feel so much better. I noticed when I was shopping that I have so much energy. I just hope I can continue this and not fall off the wagon. I don't track my food every day but I will today. I know my carbs have been around 50-75 and calories around 1200-1400. I was still at 202 this smorning and my blood sugar was 160. For any lurkers who might be reading, I know this is not good fasting blood sugar, but it's much better than it has been and I'm working toward lower it even more. Each day I am able to stick to my plan is a gift to myself. I would like to be back in Onederland as a birthday gift to myself, which is next week.

I know it's a disappointment to you that your sister is not stepping up with helping your Dad. It would really give you and your other sister a rest. But I know you are taking good care of him and soon he should be able to stay alone overnight. I know you would never forgive yourself if something happened to him, but you have to take care of yourself too. You're no good to him if you wear yourself out. Be careful.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #40  

I am down another lb this morning. I realize that this is just water and you lose more quickly in the beginning, but down is down, no matter how you look at it. 2 more lbs and I'm back in Onederland, finally. 2016 was a long and miserable year for me. This is so much easier than the IF was for me. IF just made me want to eat something and I always felt like I was fighting against the urge. Now that I'm eating 3 meals and 1-2 snacks, I don't get that urge because I know my next food it not that far away. But I'm eating much, much smaller portions that I did in the past. Enough to satisfy, but not stuff. I just tell myself "Carol, if you eat more, your weight will be back up tomorrow." Blood sugar is much better and instead of 2 gm of meds twice a day, I've been taking 1/4 of a pill...or 1/2 gm twice a day. No more spikes. In the past I have eventually fallen off the wagon. Read back in the threads, you will see it over and over, like a broken record. Now each night when I go to bed I pray that I can continue this and make it my new way of life.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #41  

Carol Sue No I don't usually binge. I think the stress just finally took over. LOL I'm fine now.

Congratulations on another lb gone. I'm so happy for you as if it were me. I think you just may have found what will work for you. Right now I am just keeping my weight at or round 216 and my FBS at 135ish. The Slim Fast helps me because Daddy doesn't eat after 3 or 4, but he does drink Boost later in the evening. That is when I can drink a Slim Fast. I did buy some of the snacks to take, but don't think I will be using them while there. I will be so glad to get back to my own eating routine when he is able to be on his own. I am ready for eggs for breakfast instead of Slim Fast, but I would love having the Slim Fast in place of a snack at night to help me get away from snacking when I do get back to my diet.

My baby sister didn't come back until yesterday afternoon and she came to spend the night and wash all their dirty clothes. Then today they had the nerve to ask if they could drive Daddy's car. They are supposedly going to her 2nd sons house and spending the night tonight and probably will stay there until Monday which means my sister will have to continue relieving me in the morning and I will be spending 3 nights at Daddy's. I did take opportunity of being home last night to go to the store to get some groceries, wash clothes and I got a good nights sleep.

We took Daddy to the cardiologist yesterday to run the pacemaker tests they do and thank God he is better and within another week can be on his own again, although still can't drive yet. The pacemaker is working beautifully and he is out of afib. My sister and I have decided (PA suggestion) to get Daddy one of those Medical Alert Necklaces where he can push a button to call 911 if he were to fall or feel like he was in trouble and needed help. Daddy is on board with going into an assisted living if we ever get to that point as he loves being around other people. But he isn't at that point yet. I told my sister with the MD necklace, we can rest at night and we could go back to taking him out at least 3 days a week. One of us could go pick him up and we could meet wherever he wants to go eat. So we have a plan, we just have to implement it. Like my friend from SC told me this morning, with his pacemaker, he could live 3 or 4 more years. My sister and I just want to make it as pleasant as possible.

I've got to start getting things ready to go back to Daddy's in a little bit. I am taking my computer with me tonight. I didn't take it the other night and it is kind of boring when he goes to sleep. I do read books, but you can only read so much without getting tired or sleepy. LOL My age I guess.

Have a great weekend and I'll catch y'all later.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #42  

I was up 1/2 lb this morning as I had a little mini binge yesterday. It came from eating a little too much at dinner. Unfortunately, the more I eat the more I want. A larger meal just gets my appetite rolling. I started with some popcorn. I bought this popcorn at Walmart because it said 1 cup was 35 calories and 5 gm of carb. Who was I kidding, thinking I would only eat 1 cup. I ate about 3 cups. Then I got into the graham crackers. I don't usually even eat graham crackers, but I have them in the house to make graham cracker crust when I make cheese cake. After that, I ate a cookie that DH bought. Then he made himself an egg sandwich, and I ate some of the scrambled eggs. I checked BS and it was up. Surprise, surprise! So I had to medicate. I am back on track today and hope that 1/2 lbs is history.

I baked all day today, making a pumpkin roll for DH and some choc chip cookies to take to my grandson on Sunday. He loves Grandma's cookies. It was funny, because he told his mom that she will have to learn how to make cookies like Grandma. Ha Ha She makes them in bars instead of single cookies, and I think that's what he meant. She is very busy as a working mother and it's much less time consuming to make the bars.

I'm glad your Dad is doing so well. I think my MIL lived longer than 3-4 years after getting her pacemaker, but she was younger than he is, and only lived to 85. I wish him well.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-20-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #43  

Carol Sue I buy Skinny Pop popcorn at Sam's club because they are individual serving sizes. I cannot buy the big bags of it and draw out just a serving size. It is like potato chips. I can eat from a serving size which is what DH buys, but never am I successful with a big bag. I think it is because when I was in Jr High and High School my lunch was 1 sandwich with a small bag of chips and a little carton of milk. I ate that everyday because it only cost 24 cents. It is like the Povlov dogs. I unknowingly conditioned myself to eat a whole bag of chips and it spills over into other things.

Your 1/2 lb is not a gain, I'm sure it is just water and it will come back down. I love knowing that from what they have told Daddy with the CHF. If he gains 3 lbs in 2 days he is to call the doctor's office, but he bounces back and forth sometimes with 2 lbs. I know his situation is different, but I also remember my doctor in SC saying he didn't worry about it if I was up only 2 lbs. I think those of us who have yo-you dieted have conditioned ourselves to think we have gained weight if we just gain .2 lbs. I used to get freaked out for a .2 gain, now I don't worry about it.

I've also decided that binges may happen but I'm trying to stop when I suddenly realize what I'm doing and just get back OP when it is time for me to eat again.

I've been having dizziness at night wondered why. I suddenly realized that it is my body adjusting to the lower readings. I road Daddy's bike last night for 20 minutes 2 miles. Later I got so dizzy. I'm not eating as often as I should when I'm here at Daddy's. I finally realized that I didn't drink the Slim Fast I had in his fridge because I didn't get hungry. So I decided around 11ish last night to drink one. I'm not sure I can do the Slim Fast because it isn't really food. Also if I do drink it, I need to have the fruit or something of substance with it. However, the good thing this morning, my FBS was 115. Hopefully it will get there and stay.

I bought some of the SF snacks, but I've decided that my snacks need to be things like popcorn or perhaps half a PB sandwich. That is what I was eating for a snack the 1st few days I drank the shakes. I would just take my multi-grain 45 calorie bread, spread a little peanut butter on it and eat it. I was satisfying and I didn't have the dizziness. What has helped me understand what is going on is the fact that my sister eats mini meal/snacks and even when she was off the Trulicity a few days she experienced very low BS episodes. Remember she is still relatively pre-diabetic and when her BS goes low, it goes extremely low and she can even get sick at her stomach with it. Exactly what I was feeling last night.

I checked my BS last night and it was 130 but you figure that I am coming way down from those 190 and 200s readings a 2 months ago. So my body is still adjusting. I've tried to not do anything about it, but with me having to be here for Daddy I can't do that. Also at home, I can get around my house safely without falling if I'm dizzy, but I can't do that here at Daddy's and he can't pick me up or help me if I fell. So I think I will bring me some PB sandwich halves to eat for a snack when here.

Carol Sue I think the Miracle Diet will work for you if you are eating enough food when you eat your small meals and if it is not making you feel like you are starving and eat more than you need at your main meal. However, that may be a learning experience that you can correct to make the plan work for you. I am sure you will figure it out. I call it tweak time. That is what I'm having to do even with SF... tweaking it so it works for me and not against me. A lot of what I'm feeling right now reminds me too much of how I got when I lost weight and got BS under control 17 yrs ago. I didn't do it healthy going without eating for hours and when I did eat the food had little to no nutritional value. I definitely don't want to do that again. Healthy is the goal more than the weight.

We have found a Medical Alert System at Amazon that we like. We just have to find out from the company who made Daddy's pacemaker monitor if they are compatible. This system will take 4 phone numbers to call plus 911 if he got in trouble and needed us. DH thinks it would be better for him to call us or 911 directly and let us help him decide if he needs an ambulance instead of depending on someone we don't know to make that decision for him. Nice thing about Amazon, we can pay to have next day delivery and DS and I will go in half and pay a one time bill for it instead of paying so much a month for someone else to monitor it. We have until next Thursday to decide as doctor said to give Daddy about a week with us here for him. Hopefully Thursday I can peacefully stay at my house and sleep in my own bed knowing Daddy is safe and can get immediate help if he needs it. I will just have to start keeping my cell phone by my bed at night. Easy to do. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Well DS will be here in about an hour with breakfast so I need to get my stuff together so I will be ready to go home for a few hours. Hang in the Carol Sue. You got this.

p.a. I know you are enjoying that new baby.

My baby sister and her DH apologized to Daddy for some of the things they had pulled explaining they had been overwhelmed by all that was going on with her kids etc. I still believe they won't be helping here much, but I just want things peaceful for my Daddy's sake. They have to be back home next week end and I am sure will be at her son's house all this weekend even through Monday. I look for her to come back to Daddy's Monday night or Tuesday to wash all their clothes and will probably leave Wednesday or Thursday. So my plan is to just stay here. She did tell Daddy they want to move back here and wanted to get along with everyone. DS and I will do what is best for Daddy. Forgiving is easy because that is what we do as Christians, but working through the trust issues is the difficult thing. However, we have always done what we needed to do for her because I feel like it is our fault she is so spoiled. We are all living the results of our previous actions. I am 11 yrs older than her and she is 8 yrs younger than my other sister. We just love her and go on. The sad thing is I have a daughter who is just like her. Her Dad and I spoiled her too.

Have a blessed day.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #44  

FBS this morning was 107. I didn't use Slimfast yesterday. I did keep my calories below 1400 calories the past few days. I am very pleased with the way Trulicity works. I am going to have to be careful and eat pretty regular small snacks to keep from getting into a hypoglycemic state.

I did add some small snacks. Didn't eat dinner but I did have half a PB sandwich with a small bag of Skinny Pop popcorn around 7 to 8 pm.

Yesterday afternoon my sister called and said that Daddy had gained 5 lbs since I had left. She had called the homebound nurse and they said take him to ER. My DGS girlfriend works in the ER. She saw Daddy's name and went out to the ER lobby and took him to a room immediately. She told my sister, "I saw his name and thought... this can't be good". Thanks to her, our stay at the hospital was not as long as it could have been.

My sister and I had noticed his swelling before I left to go home yesterday morning. We chose to give him his Lasix early and to give him another one later. Turns out that was another mistake from the hospital. He was supposed to be taking 2 Lasix a day, but I distinctly remember the male nurse stressing to me that he was to take one 20 mg Lasix at noon everyday. He made it very clear to me that it had to be done at noon. He never mentioned taking another. When I discussed it with the home bound nurse, she looked at the hospital records and understood it the same way.
We did get a good thing out of it and that is that after they ran all the tests on him, the ER doctor had looked at all of Daddy's paper work from the hospital and he said "I looked at all your test results tonight and what you had when in the hospital and they look so much better than they ever have." So he sent us back home. He was going to run an IV of Lasix, but when I told him that my sister and I had given him 2 Lasix instead of one because we saw his swelling, he said he didn't need the IV. I left to take my DH home and get my stuff I bring back and forth to Daddy's and came back to over here. They were home by the time I got here.

Now I'm waiting for DS to come back over so I can go home and get a shower and spend some time with DH before I come back this evening.

It is a good day. Y'all have a good one too.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #45  

Trish, I just won't be buying any popcorn from here on in. I really don't need it. Popcorn is a trigger food for me. I will eat and eat and eat. I was not hungry when I ate it and that is to be a rule for me. It was after I had already eaten my dinner, where I know I ate more than I should. Also, that was not from hunger, but just because the food was there in front of me. If I am hungry, I want what I eat to contain nutrition, and I don't really consider popcorn to be nutritious. To me, it's better than a piece of cake or pie, but still marginal. The way I am now, I don't get hungry, I don't eat until I'm full, just satisfied, I don't crave. If I wasn't eating enough I would feel hunger. Apparently I was eating way more than my body needed before. The snack I eat at bedtime is because of the instructions in the Diabetes Miracle. I am not following it exactly. I am not eating as low carb as it recommends, but I am eating the level of carb that allows me to lower blood sugar and lose weight. That just makes sense to me. I can eat in front of people without appearing to be doing some strange food plan. Anything I pass on will be "No, thank you, I don't care for any" without any further explanation why. Right now I understand that I am stalled because of the mini binge. It was my choice and I have to pay the consequences. It doesn't not go right back to normal for me. It takes a few days for me to get blood sugar and weight back to where they were. Let that be a lesson to me, and hopefully I will think things through next time. I have a handle on this. I was down to 1/2 gm of Glimiperide twice a day. According to plan, I will be off it altogether before the end of 2017.

I have had symptoms when my blood sugar comes down quickly, but not usually dizziness. I would explain it as weak and shaky, but I have only had 1 true low in 6 years since diagnosis and that was from Glimiperide. I think some people tend to be hypoglycemic along with their diabetes and I don't think I am one of them. I would never exercise without eating beforehand, though. Not immediately before, but would not exercise on an empty stomach. I know they have been recommending that recently, but I think that recommendation is not meant for diabetics.

I think you are smart to take an acceptable snack with you rather than eat something that's not right for you. When we travel, DH always has pretzels and cheese crackers in the center console in case we need something, and it seems I end up eating some just because he's eating it. This time I took some walnuts in a snack bag in my purse. I didn't even eat them! He had some crackers, and I just passed on them. I am so happy that I'm changing some bad habits. I don't want to be snacking on that stuff unless I'm writing in starvation. LOL

I think if anything would ever happen to DH I would get a medical alert of some type. The woman my son bought his house from had one that was part of her home security system. That's another thing I would probably get if I was alone. My friend got one recently, but she did not get the medical alert with it. I know you are in touch with your Dad daily, and someone is there daily, but some people live alone and have no one checking on them. They could lay for days, injured. Having the alert could save their life. Also, a family member could check on them in the AM and an hour later, something could happen. Better to be safe than sorry. My mother in law had 2 sons who lived with her until she died. She was lucky neither of them married or moved out. She never would have been able to live alone without having them their to do things for her and help her if she was sick.

I hope you Dad gets his fluid problem worked out. I remember after my heart surgery I was told if I went up 3 lbs or more in one day to call the Dr immediately, but I didn't have that problem.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Closed Thread