Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Mad Congratulations on getting back down to your pre-Christmas weight. It is a nice feeling I know since I just got back down to the low I had just before DD went into the hospital. I can't help you with remembering to take the Metformin as I'm bad about remembering to take my pills. Now that I take the Trulicity once a week, I have a hard time remembering to take my bp medicine. I like to take it with breakfast with my vitamins and I have sitting out where I can see it and I still forget it.

Carol Sue The only time I drink lemon water any more is when we go out to eat. I'm not sure why but it works like a diueritic when I use it.

I can't get the ticker to work for me any more on here. Isn't even a place for me to do it when I go to signature. Not sure why.

I don't think I like doing Ketogenic. I'm not getting enough veggies. I am upping them a little and just going low carb. I reset everything on MFP to carbs 15% which keeps them under 60, 60% fat (I'll never go that high, but had to put it at something) and 25% protein since I've learned that women don't need a lot of protein. Can't get the numbers exact since MFP's percentages or only set in 5s and 10s. However it does give me some room for a little more carbs. I was hungry last night but I think it is probably because I'm not eating enough fat and protein, but them I'm not eating 20 g of carbs either which means I'm not eating enough veggies. So this will help me a lot.

I am going to go back to using Carbohydrate Addict's Plan because I like being able to have a more carby meal once a day although not necessarily high carb. We are going to take Daddy for the steak we promised him before he went into the hospital and wasn't able to get out. My DS and DBIL are going to meet us. I will have my usual steak, salad w/Ranch Drsg and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter no bread this time. I was shocked when I logged it on MFP to learn that while the calories are high, there only 8 carbs in the whole meal. I couldn't believe that it is 0 carbs. I looked at it several times to see if I was right, but that is what it says. I'll be safe though because that will be my Carb Meal for the day on CAD.

They have a plan called Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan where you make some modifications to fit your lifestyle health etc. And I will be doing it more my way. I will not always eat more carby foods like I won't be eating bread. I had forgotten about the One Minute Muffin bread until Mad mentioned it and I really like it. So I will switch to it. Does anyone know the carb count on that? Maybe I can find it on this site on the carb counter thread.

Well as usual I am too talkative today. But I still have to eat breakfast and it is after 11am. I wanted to wait since we won't be eating our main meal until after 4 today since that is when we are all meeting so my DBIL can be there. He is the only one of our bunch who isn't retired yet and still works all day.

FBS was up a little to 122, but that's because I went to bed hungry. I always know that when I don't satisfy true hunger it will be up, but it was too late to eat anything. Another reason I'm not doing Ketogenic.

Here's to a great day today.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

How is CAD Lifetime different? I have seen that book at Goodwill.

And I am questioning the carb count of your planned meal, considering you are having a sweet potato. The sweet potato has a carb count in the 20s for a medium potato. It would be a lower net carb count due to the fiber.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #123  

Carol Sue According to Calorie King a sweet potato (3oz) in skin is 13.8 g and 2.2 fiber. I will probably go with the net 11.6 g. I just don't trust or believe that any starchy food would be 0 carbs.

In CALP Step 2 has Nine Options for Life which you can choose to do or not do as part of your plan. Although you can move your Reward Meal around to fit you day, you can choose to have it when you want most of the time, whether you want o use sweetners, whether to eat processed foods or not, to take Chromium which they recommend GTF instead of Chromium Picolinate, but I couldn't tell the difference so don't use the GTF. I still use Chromium Picolinate and whether you want to choose to eat MSG and choose whether to drink diet sodas or not. You can choose to whether you want to exercise or not and light to moderate for 15 minutes a day. I'm not sure if there are any others, but these choices have a lot to do with how fast or slow you will lose weight.

I have decided that counting the carbs I eat with CAD will be a part of my plan because I think it will help me better. Seeing how way off MFP is on the sweet potato, I might just start doing on paper and use either a calorie/carb counter or use Calorie Counter hoping they are more accurate. I'm having to estimate todays any way because our favorite steak house here so far is locally owned and I haven't seen a nutrition site for it. I think I'll as the waitress about that today. I know some restaurants have nutrition menus.

My choice is to keep my carbs for the whole day under 40 grams at least most days. I am also getting active on the FB CAD group as they share a whole lot of info on there. I will also use IF with it which is easier with CAD because you don't even have to eat breakfast if you don't want to. In fact, in the original CAD, not sure about their other books, you can eat only 1 or 2 meals you are comfortable and snacks or optional. Kind of IE friendly too. The main thing is to eat when you are hungry and although they say they are not low carb, they really are, but not extra low. That depends on how much carby foods you choose at one meal a day. The goal is to have no cravings and with no foods off limit there is no guilt trips because you know you can have a dessert or whatever at you one carb meal. The key is though that the carb meal absolutely must be eaten within 60 minutes. Go over and you will get a insulin surge.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #124  

Trish, please go back and check MFP again. I don't know what steak house you are going to, but the only thing I could find on MFP for baked sweet potato is Texas Roadhouse. Their sweet potato is listed at 40 gm of carb less 8 grm fiber. I'm thinking maybe you were looking at something else. I'm thinking that 3 oz sweet potato would be very small. Naturally, it would depend on how big the potato is and how much of it you eat. Personally, I don't see a problem with an occasional sweet potato. True, it IS carb, but it has a lot of nutrients and is high in needed fiber. Sweet potato pie would be a different matter. LOL

We stopped at Goodwill today and that CAD Lifespan book is still there, 99 cents, but as soon as I looked at it I thought it looked familiar and I thought I already had it. I looked when I got home, and I do have it. I actually was intending to buy the one for Heart that was recommended by that one woman on the Low Carb forum, but bought the Lifespan by mistake. Later on I found the one for Heart. So I will look through the Lifespan book maybe tomorrow. I am getting some books together to donate to the library. I just have too many, and there are so many "diet books" that I will no longer use since I seem to be firmly planted in lower carb. I do not do keto though, because I do eat vegetables and don't plan on stopping that. Those women on the Low Carb forum eat very small portions of carb and I think they only have 1 carb at their reward meal.

Mad, I can only find ground flaxseed everywhere I look, not the meal, but I googled and saw that Bob's Red Mills makes the meal and there is a supermarket a mile or two from here who has a big line of Bob's Red Mills products. I'm hoping to find it there. It seems that the meal is flaxseed ground very fine. I don't know if the ground flaxseed is ground that fine.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #125  

I actually found was able to found a sweet potato with cinnamon and butter no sugar at a local steakhouse on MFP and it showed 41 grams. I used it because the local place where we ate said that the do not use any butter in theirs. It was small and I don't eat the skin. I would at home but not out in a restaurant. I actually ended up with a total of 51 grams net carbs for the whole day. And I still only had 1188 calories for the day. So I consider that a very good CAD day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-22-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #126  

Yes, Trish, that sounds like a good day to me, too. I eat the skin of a white potato but not a sweet potato. Don't know why.

Wait til you hear what I did yesterday. I rarely eat pizza because of what it does to my BS. DH has been trying to find a pizza he likes closer to home, so yesterday we got one from a place a mile away. I decided to try it. It was so amazingly outstanding! It took me back years, to the "best pizza I ever ate!" I could not stop at one slice, and ate 4. I was so afraid of what was going to happen to my blood sugar. I took my Metformin and doubled up on my Glimiperide. I know, I know, but I was still under the max recommended doseage for the dag. I was so stuffed I did not get the least bit of interest in eating the rest of the day. This morning BS was 137, not bad, and I am down another pound. Go figure! Other days I struggle and struggle and go up on the scale. I'm thinking that in the future, if I plan, I can eat very low carb all day and then have 1 slice and a side salad, and then just take my daily dose all at one time instead of spacing it out. Not all the time, but occasionally. I don't want this to start me down a slippery slope.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #127  

I have another good CAD day. Upping the carb count worked out really good today. I didn't eat a dinner because we ate our main meal so late that I just haven't been hungry enough to fix a meal. I did eat a protein snack with sugar free jello. I get the sf jello in individual servings at Walmart and they are 0 carb. The whole snack was only 2 carbs. My total net carbs today was 39 g. I started my RM with the 2 c salad with salad drsg, had chicken nuggets that I make with very little batter made with seltzer water instead of milk and just a little bit of flour. I also do this when I make a batter for fish for DH. I use the seltzer water and just enough corn meal. I have used almond flour and may check into the carbs for that too. I had a small helping of corn to bring the carb down below 10 grams according to the package, zucchini and finished with Greek nonfat yogurt for dessert. The nice thing is that I didn't eat it all because, I started to feel full. So I probably never at the full net carbs. My calories today is just under 1000 calories. Of course MFP complained that I'm not eating enough. But I feel I have enough because I am satisfied and no hunger. I will implement the IE rule of eating until satisfied from now on during RM because I actually ate beyond satisfaction before I realized that I was getting full. I know I've heard some IErs say till full, but I don't like feeling full for one thing, plus I think when I over eat that my FBS is usually higher the next day.

I am thrilled with the results of CAD this time. I've taken CAD rules plus some things I've learned about my on body's reaction to things and made my own CALP options. I haven't exercised but once this week because I have been dealing with a lot of phone calls and things with Daddy again. They drew blood yesterday and his sodium was too low, his potassium too high which has cause kidney function to elevate. I talked to the homecare nurse and they took him off one medicines. They will do blood work next Monday and let us know Tuesday if it will be put back at a lower dose or not. She did tell me that they will continue homecare for 9 more weeks because they are going to be working at getting his medicine regulated and decide then if they can release him. They won't release him until it is regulated. We are so thankful for that because my sister said that someone should have done this 3 yrs ago. He is still released from therapy. My Daddy has always exercised and since they released him, he is double what they had him doing but he has doubled it. I think when they get his medication regulated, he will really bounce back maybe better than before. I need more of his self discipline of exercise to rub off on me. He is a great example to his family.

Busy day tomorrow... beauty shop, got to go take meds I picked up to Daddy's tomorrow and then my niece that used to come over a lot before all this happened with Daddy is bringing her son and coming over to visit for a while. That will be nice because I haven't seen them but once at the hospital when we were staying with Daddy up there.

I'll check in tomorrow if I get a chance. If not, have a nice weekend.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #128  

Trish, I am so proud of you for tweaking CAD to what works for you and also not letting MFP intimidate you into eating more than you need. You will be fine!

I want to start making SF Jello for myself but first I have to dig out my little cups to put it in. That's what stops me from making it.

I bought the FlaxMeal yesterday. Boy, it is pricy!! I will have to really love these flax muffins to justify buying this all the time. When I bought the flax seeds I wanted to make these flax crackers. I tried a couple times and couldn't get them the way I wanted them and then gave up. They were made from the whole seeds. The package of meal has a recipe on it for crackers, using the meal instead of the whole seeds. I might try that too and see how I like it.

I used to take Niacin as directed by my cardiologist, but I heard something bad about it so I stopped it. Now I've been reading about it on another forum and decided to go back to it. I have taken it for 3 days, and I notice my appetite is diminished. I don't know if the Niacin is causing that, but a diminished appetite would not hurt me at all. I still eat, but stop after eating a very small portion. I don't feel full, but the food just doesn't appeal to me after a few bites. I will have to see how long this lasts and see if the Niacin is causing it. One bad thing. I ran out of my bread I use, and the store was out of it this week when I was there. White Toast is starting to taste very good to me. Not a good thing! LOL
Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #129  

My carbs are too high today, but calories under 1200. Sodium is up too. It is my fault. Daddy wanted to go to Whataburger. I probably ate only a little over half the hamburger. I don't have cheese put on it any more. I got the meal with fries and didn't know how to count the fries because I only ate about 8 to 10 of them and gave the rest to him. I drank a Diet Dr. Pepper. Then I went to the store and decided to stop by Long John Silvers and got a meal plus one piece of fish. DH at the meal and I ate one and a half piece of fish and 3 shrimp. I didn't eat any of the sides. I count that as 2 RM which I've heard CADers do on an off day. However, as Dr. Westman would say I will not eat any more carbs today as I am back OP right now. I'm having company later so it will be easy not to eat. LOL
Old 02-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #130  

Carol Sue I got the flax meal too. I started not to, but decided that I want to make the muffin for my low carb CM. I saw the best recipe for grilled cauliflower toast. The way they make it looks like a grilled cheese sandwich. I will try to see if I can post it here. I don't know if we are allowed to share videos. Maybe I can put the link on here. It is really looks good. I hope the cracker recipe is on my Flex meal package if not I will be asking for your to post it.

I am doing so well that I am beginning to feel impowered. I just hope I can keep it up. Some women on the FB were talking about a product called SlimQuick Protein powder that they drink. I found it at HEB and bought it today. You mix a scoop of it in 4 oz of water and drink 1 in the morning and 1 6 hrs later. It has the stuff in it that is green tea that helps you burn fat and lose 3x more weight than you would without it. I decided why not try it. I will start it in the morning. I'll let you know if it works or not. They claim on the container that they did a test and people used it with diet and exercise and that the people using it lost 25 more lbs than the ones who didn't use it.

p.a., mad and everyone

Have a great weekend.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #131  

Here is an experience I had with my BS. Yesterday, we went to eat at a restaurant where I had fried fish, mac and cheese, and garlic toast. This is more carb that I usually eat, but they have delicious home made mac and cheese that I love, so I took my Metformin and Glimiperide and dug in. I ate the mac and cheese, garlic toast, and 1 piece of fish. Two hours later I checked BS, expecting a spike, but it was 117. I never get a reading like that after a meal, but I figured the Glimiperide did it's job. I checked 2 hours later at bedtime, and it was 143. So my blood sugar did not peak at 2 hours like they tell us. If I hadn't checked again, I would have thought the 117 was correct.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #132  

Trish, I googled "Keto Cauliflower Grilled Cheese" and it brought up a few videos and one print recipe. One video was using the ground flax in the "bread" recipe and the others were using shredded cheese. They all looked good. Even if it didn't taste exactly like a grilled cheese I think I would like it because i like the combination of cauliflower and cheese. I don't think DH would eat it. So I don't know if I would do this just for myself, but maybe.

There was another recipe for Cauliflower Garlic Bread Sticks. They looked good, too. It's amazing what you can do with cauliflower. I think that's because it doesn't have a really strong taste and takes on the taste of what you add to it.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #133  

I know DH is going to want to go to the casino today. He is getting into the habit of wanting to go every week. I don't want to go every week, but my life is much easier if I just go along with him. He can be very miserable if we don't go, and I use this for leverage to get my way about other things. LOL Compromise! Give and Take! Marital Harmony! I do like it when we WIN! LOL
Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #134  

Carol Sue I like cauliflower as cauliflower, but am not fooled into thinking it is faux potato. It is what it is... mashed cauliflower with cheese etc a substitute for a potato, but to me it is nothing like a potato. LOL

The grilled cheese cauliflower will still be a grilled chees cauliflower that looks like an grilled cheese sandwich, but it won't be the same. However, standing on its on, it looks like it will be good. However, I think if you want something close to an actual grilled cheese sandwich that making the "One minute muffin" would make a really good one. I like cheese toast once in a while and I think that would taste great made with the flax meal bread.

I am back OP with CAD today. I found it interesting on the FB CAD that some follow the original strict CAD and others have tweaked it to fit their lifestyle. The lady that started the thread on FB has tweaked hers. I read one of those who has tweaked hers brought out the fact that a lot of things that are available today for low carb CM meals were not available when the Heller's wrote their books. The no longer write books and no longer have a website that they monitor so we are pretty much left to keep up with new health changes and tweak for ourselves. Personally, I also remember that her last book was because the original way they did CAD no longer worked for her and the made a few changes. Their changes wouldn't work for me, but did for others. It goes back to "one size doesn't fit all". Maybe where a lot of diets fail is that there is not room to tweak for the individual.

That is interesting about the BS reading. I've had that happen too. I think it comes back to the fact that each of us or different. I think they know a lot about diabetes and have made good changes through the years, but I also think that they don't understand it all. Perhaps that is why you get conflicting advice and ideas out there on how to deal with it. For example, I believe Keto diet is probably really great, but I read some where that only 2% of the people who lose weight with extremely low carb diets keep it off. Although more people keep their weight off with WW, I think if they told the truth the percentage would not be a whole lot better. All of this is a live and learn kind of thing. My original doctor who diagnosed me handed the diabetic diet and said "This is that I am supposed to give you, but you will figure out on your own what works for you". I've been working at it ever since.

As for going to the Casino with your DH, we do what we have to keep peace. LOL At least you are getting out of the house and it is probably good for you and you always enjoy being able to eat the veggies. So enjoy your day with him. When DH wants me to so something I'm not in the mood for, I stop and think of my life without him after my previous hubby died and I decide it is better than not having to do things with. Not that I always feel that way, but I try. LOL
Old 02-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #135  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

hi friends:
Really pleased to stay I have been sticking to low carb plan, in spite of obstacles. Weight same, but not up. Was not sure how everything would go with busy work time and working all-nighters and eating in the middle of the night, and at least I didn't gain.
I also slept ok after ward. I have to admit, I have used carbs to help me sleep. After working all night, I often have had a carb meal before sleep, as I tend to sleep better, (diabetic coma anyone?) but this time i didn't and I slept fine.
After tomorrow night I am on holidays for a couple of weeks. No big plans, just family time, maybe go to Ottawa to see DD too. I have been eating carefully for about 6 weeks, low carb for the last week only, but we will see how it all goes. I would like to see 170 before Easter at the latest, but I often slow down about now, and start to have small cheats. Lets hope I can get past it.

Happy to see you both tweaking your diets.
I honestly don't know the difference between ground flax and flax meal.
I think almond meal is just ground almonds. I would go with either. and if you can't find flax, try the almond. I am gonna make another batch today.

Happy weekend
Closed Thread