Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #436  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Yes his shoulder did start hurting while he was on that medication. We see his primary next week and hope to find something out then. Hopefully he will do an x-ray or send him to a orthopedic. How did you deal with your shoulder problem? Did you get any help for the pain etc? DD home nurse comes tomorrow and the CHF nurse said she needs to talk to primary about his shoulder.

Glad got back to exercising today. You are getting a pretty good work out there with those machines. I think we both have to get more faithful to doing our exercise. I ended up dropping DD off at the wrong door at the hospital and going into the wrong door after parking. I didn't realize where he was sitting so I thought he had already gone up to Lab. So I made a trip up to Lab to find he wasn't there yet and had to walk back down to find him sitting inside the main door. I had gone in the outpatient door which is actually where I should have let him off. So he ended have to walk a long way to gt to the elevator and then the long walk to Lab. Then we had to go back down and walk all the way on the other side of the bulding. We got to where I let him off and he said "Now we have to walk 2 more miles to CHF". He uses his walker but it was still too far with the way he was hurting. I told the receptionist at CHF that was too far for him to have to walk. She told me that from now on if it is too much for him to just come on in to CHF and they will do it there. They just like him to go to Lab if he can because it makes the visit with them go faster. Next time I will go by how he feels. He is such a trooper and he does whatever he thinks they want him to do even if he isn't sure he can. I told him I would get him a wheelchair, but he doesn't want to use one. I think he is afraid they will think he isn't doing very well if he uses one.

I had a very carby meal this afternoon and found myself in carb overload. I got through with DD at CHF and called DH and told him I would get fish. I got beer battered cod from Long John Silver's and my sides were carbs this time. For starters I think they cooked it in old grease and the fries looked like they were old and so was the corn. I was swollen and I felt so drugged. I think we are going to have to stop getting it from there. Any way, I laid down for a bit, but just didn't help. When I called to check on my DD tonight, he asked me what I could do about it. Funny thing is I had not thought about what I could do to change it. I told him I thought I could do my 15 minutes on the bike and drink lots of water to flush it all out. So when we hung up, I got on the bike. I was amazed that almost 10 minutes into it that I started feeling better and the cloudy thinking started going away. I ate chicken with mayo for dinner and I took one of my mild fluid pill to get the swelling down. I sure won't be eating so many carbs at one time again. If so many carbs at one meal causes that kind of problem for me, I will just do JUDDD without the CAD. I'm still only having 2 meals and a snack. I didn't track on MFP, but I probably didn't even have 1200 cals today.

Catch you tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #437  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I didn't do much for the pain except rest. I read about it extensively online and it says not to exercise the area because the tendons could rupture. I just didn't accent my shoulder/arm movements. It took a couple years for the shoulder pain to subside, and then it started in my elbow. It goes away for a while, but the elbow pain recently came back. This med was given to me by the surgeon who did my bowel surgery, and he moved out of start shortly afterward. I told my PCP about it and he told me the pain was NOT from the Cipro. He said that thousands of people take Cipro every day and have no problem. I told him what it said in the insert that came with the med and he said that would be a very rare side effect. Well, rare does not mean impossible. I also discussed it with the pharmacist, who also said he didn't think the pain had anything to do with the med. If you google "Black Box warning about Cipro" a lot of sites will come up. A Black Box Warning is the strongest warning the FDA gives. I found a couple forums that were just for discussing problems with Cipro and it's family of related drugs.

So your Dad's doctor may not agree that the pain is from the med, and maybe it's not in your Dad's case, but it sounds very similar. I hope they are able to help him. I just live with it.

I'm wondering if you could get transport at the hospital to bring a wheel chair when your Dad is there, to help him get from one department to the other, like they do when you are an inpatient and have to go for tests.

Several times when my blood sugar went high I did a 15 minute walk on my treadmill to help bring it down. They said sometimes exercise raises blood sugar, but brings it down overall. I think strenuous exercise raises it, but gentle exercise brings it down. When I was first diagnosed there was a woman at work who was type 1. I asked her what I could do to lower my blood sugar since I was not on insulin and she said exercise. She always took a walk after lunch every day.

They closed our Long John Silvers a couple years ago. We have so many fast food places and restaurants here because of the turnpike interchange. I guess Long John Silvers wasn't getting that much business. Now there isn't really anyplace around here to get fish. There is one restaurant that has good fish, but it's a huge sandwich, and they started charging extra if you share. The only time we get that is if we get take-out to avoid the extra charge, and DH likes to sit in a restaurant and be served, rather than get take-out.

I love fish. I have been eating a lot of salmon lately and I'm a little concerned about the mercury. I guess I should limit that. I had it two days in a row.

Yesterday I ate the salad bar for dinner, but I also had a cup of soup and a cup of chili.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #438  

Carol Sue I told DD that the doctor isn't ever going to admit it if his pain is from the medicine. His was the generic of Cipro. However, DS just told me that he had trouble with his shoulder once before years ago. So I don't know if it is from that or not. She thinks it is his rotor cup. I'm not sure I would want him to have surgery at his age or if they would even consider it. Just have to wait and see.

The hospital would give me a wheelchair to take him up, but he wouldn't let me. DH even has her chair similar to hove around or whatever it is called, but he wouldn't use it either. He jokingly asked the nurse yesterday if he could come in closer to the lab next time. However, she has put it in his records for him to do it at CHF next time. However, I'm hoping by then he will be so much better.

I had 2 egg, bacon and what I call a finger salad of cukes, a tomato, radish and a big slice of red pepper. I thought I could get a 2 oz can tuna and have it with a similar finger salad cut up into it mixed with mayo. I hope that won't be too much mercury. I hadn't thought about that. I think that was why I quit eating so much of it before. I'm a routine person and I don't think I would tire of it. I could get some canned chicken and alternate it to cut down on the mercury. Eggs can be fried or boiled for variety. I'm also thinking of getting avocados to eat with eggs. I'd rather fry the eggs in Pam and have the avocado for a healthy fat. I might even mash 1/2 avocado into the fish/chicken salad instead of mayo for the same reason.

DH is taking me out to our favorite local steakhouse for late Mother's Day dinner. That is so easy for a low carb meal. I am thinking about having a low carb meal so I can have my ice cream treat for a Reward Snack instead of a regular Reward Meal when we get home. This should be a DD, but I'm pretty sure yesterday was not an UD. I need to go put it in MFP and be sure though. I didn't feel like doing that yesterday.

Upped my exercise to 21 minutes for the next 5 days so I can get a 6 day average of 20 minutes this week. Of course, I won't do any exercise Sunday or Monday because of the colonoscopy procedure. Will get back to it on the following Tuesday. I agree with what the Type 1 diabetic lady told you about it. I am so convinced that the exercise does help keep the bs down. I will work up to 30 minutes a day within the next couple of weeks.

Still feel a little "cloudy" thinking, but I was interested with a comment to someone on FB CAD group made to a woman who said she had been on it for 2 weeks and hadn't lost weight. One person told her that she would stay on CAD just for the benefit of "no cravings and no cloudy thinking". I think she is right. I don't have cravings at night any more and I tell you eating loads of carbs is not worth the way I feel today. I am looking so forward to clear thinking again. I still haven't ruled out doing stricter low carb after the colonoscopy.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #439  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi friends: still struggling with food choices, but going away for the weekend Thursday morning, so I may do better. No fast food at the cottage, thats for sure.
But I expect to keep struggling a bit.
Tomorrow, we are going to put our dear doggie to sleep. She was born with a liver defect, and was only supposed to survive a couple of years. She is 10 now, but her time is near and she is in pain. DD is here overnight, as we will take her to the vet tomorrow afternoon. We are all taking turns crying and being comforted.
I made DH was "a dog's purpose" on the pay-per-view the other night, to try to prepare him. He has been in denial, and now he finally gets it. Bless him for his tender heart, he's a crier too.
My other DD will be visiting next week when we get back from the cottage, so will have both my girls around a bit. Not right on mother's day, but close enough for me.
Best wishes to everyone, have a good week.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #440  

Mad, I am so sorry to hear of your dog's illness. I would be crying too. Pets never live as long as we do, or as long as we'd like them to. Bless all of you in making this decision, which is best for the dog.

Trish, when I was reading the CAD/CALP thread on Low Carb, I noticed that those women who have done so well don't eat much carb at their RM. Maybe a small portion of a starchy carb just for a taste. and/or a light dessert so they are really close to eating Low Carb, except for a small portion eaten at RM.

The Cipro I took was generic also. It involves any meds in the Quinolone family, and Levoquin is a big offender from what I've read. It is possible that your Dad's shoulder pain could be from something else. Years ago I had bad shoulder pain in my left shoulder. I know it was caused by repetitive movement. At work, my credenza was on the left side of my desk, and I was constantly reaching my left arm out to put files on the credenza. When I would get in the car, it was very difficult for me to reach back for the seat belt to put it on. I went for PT to correct that, and then I started to swivel my chair around to the left instead of just reaching my arm out. The pain from the Cipro was all on the right side...right shoulder and right elbow. It seems to hurt more at night than during the day, or maybe I just notice it more when I'm lying in bed.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #441  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol Sue: thanks for your kind words. The vet clinic did a great job, and DD and I were there to hold her and love her for the end. DD took the day off and took her to the park, did some photos and the children there came and petted her. Having the day with her. DD really accepted it was time, had to help her into the car, realized she couldn't walk more than a minute without rest etc.
SO lots of tears, mine more after than before. Being here at the cottage now, I am still sad she couldn't be here one last time, but she really went down hill this week, and doing at our home vet was better, I doubt she would have lasted the weekend without more discomfort and problems. poor love.

Anyhow, eating is still a bit problematic, nothing too crazy, but not on plan. But I am not going to stress over it. Tomorrow is another day, and another chance to get back on plan.

You know Carol Sue, I was on Cipro briefly for a UTI that I just couldn't get rid of, (and it didn't work either) and its been since then I have had the problems with pain and arthritis like stuff. However, I was getting the nodes on my fingers before that, and of course, docs just say its aging etc. But I put off going on the CIpro for months (did 4 rounds of other antibiotics first) because of the potential side effects. The sudden ruptured tendons are very scary, and the other muscle and joint issues haven't been well documented, but seem to be more frequent, which is why I won't prescribe it. Fortunately for me, its rare that it would come up.

Trish, hope things get better with your father too. best wishes everyone
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #442  

fatmad So sorry about your pet. So hard to give them up even when we know it is better for them.

Not much going on around here. DH got the date and time for his endoscopy and colonoscopy. It will be June 13. I'll be glad when we get this all behind us. My diet has just been kind of there. No real plan, I plan to get back to an OP routine Tuesday after the colonoscopy. However, I'm eating only 2 meals right now. Just not hungry at night. No snacking at night of late. Don't know what that is all about, but hope I'll be able to keep it up.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #443  

Mad, I believe my doctor is right, that thousands of people take Cipro with no side effects. But anytime there's a risk, I seem to get it. My friend's husband has trouble with diverticulitis and he has a standing prescription for Cipro any time he has an episode. He obviously has no problem with it. I don't consider my problems with my hands or fingers to be from the Cipro. Just the shoulder/elbow, occasional ankle pain that all started a couple days after I started taking the Cipro. No one can convince me it was not from the Cipro.

We have had 5 dogs before this one. All of them had to be put down except for one, who died on her own. She lived to be 19 years old. She was still able to walk around and was eating, until the last two days. Even the groomer asked us not to bring her anymore because she was just so fragile. But we don't think she was suffering.

Trish I hope all goes well with your medical procedure and DH's. I was all ready to post that I have not had any bathroom problems for a week or so, and then it happened this morning. I can't really pinpoint the cause unless it's greasy foods. I don't recall having anything particularly greasy yesterday. I ate a frozen chimichanga and I didn't feel well after eating that, but felt ok by bedtime. I don't know. I read about this online and it is a very common problem. Many people who have this, a normal bowel movement, follow quickly with a loose bowel movement, seem to say it's IBS-D. So I am going to assume that's what it is and try to stay away from greasy food.

I just got weighed. My weight had crept up to 204, but after this morning, it's back down to 202. LOL All's well that ends well!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-19-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #444  

Didn't go to DD after beauty shop today. He didn't feel up to doing anything. He took himself to the store yesterday and I really think he just did too much. DH and I went by there after we left gastro clinic and he was pretty tired. He had both door locks locked and had to get up to let us in and he was kind of wobbly. He was disoriented because he had fallen asleep. I'm glad we went by. DH found his freezer open. He evidently started putting groceries away and thought he closed it when he set down. I think with going to CHF, eating out twice this week and then taking himself to the store was just too much for him although he will never admit it.

I'm tired. I think my vitamins must do more for me than I thought. I haven't taken them since they had me stop them Monday (1 week before the procedure). I surely will be glad to get back to them. Didn't get the Trulicity yesterday and my FBS was 133 and checked it when I got home before eating some fruit and it was 108. So far so good.

I have decided on the plan I am going to use starting Tuesday. I'm going back on WWSP. I had to Walmart to get DH medicine and got some fruit and a few other things I want to have on hand. I might try the WW Simply Filling plan, but definitely will be doing WW. I did so well on that before and it gives me a wide range of foods that I can eat. I can also eat less meat on it and I'm tired of all the meat. Plus I like eating less fat.

Carol Sue I notice when I eat too much fat that I have the similar problems. I just do better not to eat a lot of greasy foods. Thus the reason for choosing WW.

I'm actually looking forward to have the procedure. I think the results will be pretty good. My DS said a lot of people have diverticulitus so not to be surprised although she said it is usually mild. I'm thinking if I do have a slight problem with it that will explain why I have difficulty eating too much roughage some time. I don't expect anything really but can't hurt to know.

DH must be catching up on the sleep he seems to have lost the last few nights since he is still asleep. I think I'll take advantage of it and take a short nap myself.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #445  

I hope you Dad is careful. I still think he should have someone coming in to help him from time to time. It worries me to hear some things.

Trish, when I had the bowel surgery, it was because I had diverticulitis but didn't know it. I had never had a colonoscopy. That was worse than my heart surgery and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope everything is fine with you. I think it's good that you're having this done.

I don't have problems with all fatty foods. Salmon is a fatty fish, but it's healthy fat and that doesn't bother me. It's things like the chicken I simmer in stock. I think it gets greasy from the fat under the skin. I really like it cooked that way. I don't eat the skin, so next time I will remove the skin before cooking. I don't have any problem with roasted chicken, probably because it is drier and the fat renders off. I also have problem now with sausage, and also with those Steakum Steaks that give off a lot of grease. No more of them.

I did well with not eating between meals today. I actually went a little too long because I ate around 10, then we were traveling, and I didn't get to eat again until 5. I was very hungry by the time we ate, but it wasn't bad, and I didn't overeat when I finally ate. I had a burger with lettuce and tomato and ate it without the bun and some french fries. I didn't really want the french fries but the alternate choices were potato salad or macaroni salad and I didn't want them because of the mayonnaise and I didn't know how fresh it was. So the french fries were the lesser of the 3 evils. I am mainly concerned about breaking the snacking between meals so I am happy with today's results. Now on to tomorrow!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-19-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #446  

Carol Sue My great grandmother raised her own chickens. She never would cook them with the skin on so I never did either. Even when I fried them. My 2nd Hubby's grandmother always said a chicken was too dry when cooked without the skin, but I never had that problem with mine. Of course, roasted chickens are different, I do leave the skin on for those but then most of the fat drips off of it and I don't usually eat the skin then unless it is really crispy.

As much as I love WWSP, I just can't deal with the point counting. I went to the store yesterday and bought diet margarine and got one with 35 calories and it is still 4pts for 1 T and I thought then why not just use butter. I will follow their plan, but with calorie counting on MFP. It just makes more sense to do it with the calories.

I did manage to keep 4.8 lbs off this week so will be changing ticker. I seem to bounce up and down a lb, but I've always done that. Tomorrow is my prep day for the procedure Monday. I used to would have pigged out the day before a fast, but I'm relatively calm about everything. Eating fairly light today. I'm not low carbing, I'm just eating healthy. I decided I wanted cereal this morning and am using measuring cups to watch my portions. I even cut up chunks of melon for a cup serving for a snack and enjoyed that. My goal is to learn portion control while learning to eat healthy. I've done everything else through the years. I used to tell the doc in SC that I eat healthy to which he said, "Maybe you are eating too much healthy food". Maybe he was right. So I decided since there isn't anything wrong with what I eat, maybe I should concentrate more on the amount that I eat.

Since I will come out of this procedure experience feeling empty and light, it just might feel good to eat so as to feel that way all the time. As a young girl growing up, I seldom ever experienced that over stuffed feeling. So I am wondering when I decided that I need to feel full all the time? Just thinking out loud.

fatmad Thinking of you and your family adjusting to not having your little pet.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #447  

I didn't like counting the points either when I did WW. Mostly I ate the same things over and over because I had the points memorized. I also feel that I eat healthy, but the eating between meal, even if the snacks are healthy, was adding up to too much food, and I wasn't really hungry at meal time. This is the second day that I went 4-5 hours between meals without snacks, so I think I will be able to break this habit. There are things that I like to make sure I eat daily or often, like green stuffed olives or shelled walnuts, but if I think of it, I can eat them with my meals instead of in between.

I have always cooked my chicken with the skin on to retain the moisture. It's really fine when it's roasted. I don't eat the skin even if it's crispy. I used to eat the skin on batter fried chicken but I don't eat fried anymore. The only problem seems to be with the chicken cooked in the broth and I think removing the skin before cooking will fix that. I would hate to give up eating it because it comes out so tender and moist that way.

Trish, good luck with the prep. I didn't mind drinking the fluid, but I sure didn't like spending the whole day in the bathroom! LOL
Old 05-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #448  

This my fasting day for procedure. Not bad so far, but the I don't start the cleansing until 5pm. I have had a cup of reduced sodium chicken broth which I diluted and it tastes terrible, but is different. Since they said DH could use Crystalite instead of Gatorade, I made a pitcher of it and am mixing it with tea to keep my diet from feeling so boring. I had a cup of coffee this morning with Splenda which wasn't too bad.

Here I am fasting and I have been looking at SB diet Phase 2 group on FB and I just might do SB when I come off of this. Some of them share the foods they are eating on Phase 1 and it looks so very good. I do like low carb and there are so many foods allowed on SBD Phase 1 that you can't have on Atkins and still be low carb. Example, milk, lentils and even some treats to satisfy the occasional sweets. I think I will give it a chance again.

After putting this off for so many years, now that I'm doing it, I have no problem with it. Just looking forward to getting it over with.

Carol Sue We are both blessed with the fact that we do like healthy foods. I just like to keep things simple and I think you do too. I still hate counting anything and perhaps that is why SBD just might be the way to go.

I used to always wait 4 to 6 hrs + between meals with no problems. Not sure when, where or why that changed.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #449  

I guess today is the day for your test, Trish. Hope it all goes well.

I agree that it's best to find a plan that includes the foods you like so you don't feel deprived. I would probably do better if I eliminated more foods completely, but I can't stick to it. My biggest problem is not what I eat, but when and how much. I should put that manta in my siggy. LOL I finished dinner around 5 yesterday. I cooked a turkey, with stuffing, potatoes, and mixed veggies. I ate a full portion of everything. I was very worried, thinking that I would have no more food until today, but I went into the bedroom to watch TV for the evening, and for some reason, when I do that, I don't eat any more. If I'm in the living room, I can see the kitchen, and the food calls my name. I woke up hungry in the middle of the night, but it wasn't bad and I was able to fall back to sleep. This morning I will be fine with just coffee. My fasting blood sugar was 131, improved from what it was running for a while.

I got an article from WebMD in my mailbox that says it's about eating breakfast. I will read it and see what they have to say. It was very hard for me to stop eating breakfast, or delay it until late in the morning. Once I have my first meal of the day my appetite ramps up and I want more food all day. I will read their article and see if they change my mind. What I'm doing so far makes me feel better, but it's not bringing weight loss. So we'll see.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #450  

I took the breakfast quiz and only got 60%. I thought maybe they were going to say something new. I disagree with some of what they say and agree with some. They said that skipping breakfast can cause you to develop heart disease and diabetes. I developed both of these while eating breakfast regularly! I was very healthy eating breakfast upon rising, and having lunch at noon, rarely eating dinner. I developed my health issues years later when adding dinner into the mix cause weight gain. This is just my own experience. Now, the first meal of the day ramps up my appetite and causes me to want more food all day, so IMO, I am better off to delay it a few hours.

I would like to add that my opinions only apply to type 2 diabetes. Anyone with type 1, insulin dependent should probably be adhering to stricter meal scheduling.
Closed Thread