Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #271  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

DD heard from his primary doc this morning and he thinks DD is over medicated but of course he can't change anything because cardiologist is in charge of everything. DD asked me to call CHF clinic and tell them what is going on. The nurse said to remove the pill that I have to cut in half for him to take 3 nights a week. She also said for him not to take one of the pills he takes at night to see if he feels better tomorrow and then call her to tell her how he feels. In the meantime she will talk to the cardiologist and see what he says. One of the heart pills he is taking they were going to cut back next month and she said they could cut it back early. We hope to know more tomorrow. So I will get up and go over there in the morning and do his meds for next week. So ready for him to be feeling better again.

Y'all know I lean more toward IE. Well, I got an email from the authors of the IE book I have and they now have a workbook too. I ordered it from Amazon this morning. Should have it by Friday. I hope it helps me get my act together. Of course, I still think when DD is better, I will be able to do better too although I need to learn to take care of me regardless of whatever stress is in my life.

So far I'm doing good today. I have my plan done and printed out for today. Calories on MFP are within the 1400. I'm not setting any real goals except to eat what I really want to eat but within the 1400 calories and keep my exercises going on a regular basis.

Here's hoping for a great day for each of us.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I did very well with my low carb menu yesterday. My salmon was so good! I had a few more carbs because I chose a salad instead of broccoli, but I was just hungry for salad. And the dressing probably added some calories. I got on the scale this morning and it didn't go down. Grrrrr Today, I had carbs. At lunchtime I got hungry for toast, so I had 2 pieces of toast, but it was on my 35 calorie bread, so 2 slices are the same as 1 of regular bread. Now I had a hot dog for dinner, so more bread. It's my downfall. I'm hoping I can get back to my DD tomorrow and stick with it. Once you fall off the wagon, it's tough to get back on, so we're better off to be diligent and stay on the straight and narrow. The DD UD is the only plan that has given me any weight loss and good blood sugar in such a long time, I hate to give up on it already.

Hi Anna. I like your IndiAnna name. It's cute! I looked back at your prior posts and see that you were on SB a couple years ago. Are you still doing that? You have lost good so far according to your stats.

Do you have diabetes or have tested for pre-diabetes? Jump right on in and tell us more about yourself!

Trish, I'm so sorry to hear of all the problems your Dad is having. That's a shame, since he was doing so well. I hope they get his meds straightened out. I know that some doctors tend to over-medicate. It seems that his PCP feels that less is more, and in some cases, it is.

I wouldn't worry about staying on plan right now. You and DH have too many other things to worry about right now, but you're right, you have to take care of you. When I am running around Walmart, I consider that my exercise, too. It shows as steps on my Fitbit!

p.a. I agree with you that I feel so sluggish when I'm eating carbs. I think as long as you can limit them to occasional, you're all right. You got a really good drop in your A1c!!

Mad, I hope you get through your meeting day without any slip ups, or maybe just little ones. LOL
Old 03-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #273  

Hi Anna Welcome to this group. Tell us more about yourself.

fatmad I hope all goes well with your meeting tomorrow.

p.a. Thanks for sharing your experience with the A1c.

Carol Sue I agree that once we fall off the wagon it is difficult to get back on. I'm not sure the calorie counting is working for me.

DH found some info online concerning prebiotics by a Dr. Gundry. I don't know if I agree with everything he said, but he did get my attention. Of course, he is selling a product which he claimed couldn't be bought from anyone but him. However, I did find it on Amazon and it is not the best according to people who use prebiotics. I saw another one a whole lot less expensive that I could get if DH wants to try it.

I googled prebiotics and I just might try eating foods with prebiotics instead of taking a supplement. Onions, banana and asparagus and avocados seems to be some of the foods. I think I have to go back eating low carb, because so many foods are prebiotic friendly. With all that is going on in my life, I am just going to try to do the best I can with it right now. I honestly believe it can still be done Intuitively along with IF. Switching back to lowcarb tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #274  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Happily down a pound. Stuck well to LC yesterday, including being sure to add extra fat to keep me feeling satisfied. I also missed my midday metformin, so added an extra half to my bedtime dose so I would only be down 1/2 for the day. Lets NOT do that again. Night cramps for sure.
While I am missing the carb foods sometimes, I have gotten used to my diet changes and they are working nicely for me. So I will keep doing this combo of low carb, high fat, IE, IF, JUDDD for now. When I write it down, it looks and sounds unwieldy but it works out pretty well.

Happy Wednesday everyone
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #275  
Madeleine

Welcome IndiAnna:
Very happy to see you getting closer to goal. You have removed a lot of weight already, and Onederland is now in sight! Whatever you are doing is working, so keep on!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #276  

Trish, I believe that it's best to get your nutrients from food when you can. I have potty issues occasionally, but I don't know if they are caused by something going on with my gut bacteria or something else. I tend to think it's something else because of the bowel surgery I had to have in 2010. I eat onions almost daily, and the other prebiotic foods occasionally, so I think I'm OK. But if your DH thinks he is better off taking a prebiotic supplement I don't see any harm in it. I really don't know a lot about them.

My weight is still up. Today is a DD so I am going to try my best to do it correctly. I know DH mentioned getting pizza today. I don't have to eat it, or maybe just mix some toppings into a salad. DH sure throws a wrench into my plans. LOL
Old 03-29-2017, 08:07 AM   #277  

Mad, we were posting at the same time. I take Metformin 3 times a day and have missed a dose occasionally. There for a while I was taking 1 AM and 2 at Bedtime, trying to lower AM FBG, but now I find that splitting them up between dinner and bedtime works better. Sometimes I forget the one at dinner.

Congrats on staying on plan, and the pound down.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #278  

Morning everyone
Yesterday was a crazy busy day and ended with an unplanned lesson at 5,,,,so didn't eat from 11 till 730,,, hadn't taken anything out so ate a plate of stuff,,,veg/dip, cheese, cold meat. Happily was down 2 pounds this am,,,kind of unplanned fasting.
Warmer today so putting on runners and will get some steps in,,,I'm really feeling like walking again these days.
I agree about how hard it is to get back on the wagon once you slip off,,,,I'm just feeling like I'm hanging on with my fingertips right now and I'm really trying to remember how good I felt a year ago. My clothes from last summer are tight and they are my goal the next 6 weeks,,,
Old 03-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #279  

S/C/G: 241/208/175

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi! I’m Anna (of course). I’m 39 years old and live in the Midwest (of course, again). I’m single…no kids, but two cats.

I am a Type II Diabetic. I was diagnosed in 2010. I spent a lot of those years in denial and not managing my diabetes. Then a few years ago, my uncle (who also is Type II) had part of his foot amputated as a result of his uncontrolled diabetes and its complications. Let me tell you that was a heck of a wake up. Until recently, progress has be slow…but I’m starting to really focus on what I’m eating. I am keeping an honest food journal now and that really is helping me be accountable. I don’t really follow any specific diet plan anymore. My plan currently is to eat as many veggies as I can, watch the fat and carbs, and not beat myself up if I eat a Reese’s egg once in a while.

I bought a set of kettle bells recently and look forward to using them in the very near future.

I look forward to getting to know you all!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #280  

Carol Sue Too many things get in the way for me to do JUDDD right now. I never know which way my day is going to go. It has worked so well for you so I hope you can get it working for you again. You were good at that.

I really don't know if DH wants to take the prebiotic or not. I personally think it was just to sell the guys product. I would rather use the food. However, he did mention the foods that cause inflammation in joint pain which got me to thinking. Until I started eating the grains and other foods on WW, I didn't have joint pain. I have also been eating a lot of colorful bell peppers and didn't realize they are part of the night shade family which I remember fatmad mentioned a while back. So I think I will just lay off of those for a while including the bread. While I might have it occasionally which never caused me problems in the past, I don't think they can be a regular part of my food plan.

fatmad I like how you described you plan. I guess I'm pretty much on a similar combo myself minus high fat and JUDDD. I do more of a moderately high fat since I don't like it and I would love to do JUDDD but not while so much is going on with Daddy.

I called DD this morning a little earlier than usual because I had to call the nurse at CHF clinic to report how he did after taking that one pill out. He said he felt horrible and was aching all over. I called the nurse and she called him to get his symptoms etc. We just seem to come out of one situation to go into another one. He now has the flu that he probably picked up at the doc's office the other day. I had planned to go do his meds this afternoon, but we decided he would rest today and DH and I will go tomorrow afternoon and do them. I'm going to try to get some masks to wear while there so we don't pass this stuff back and forth. We have all had our flu shots etc, but evidently this is a different strain. We don't need to all have it.

I found an active IE group on FB. Someone said something that made me decide to get back OP. While I do want to do a moderately LC plan, I want to do it Intuitively I still have the problem with trying to try one more diet. This person had asked about counting calories to see how much she was eating. This other person asked her how that would help her to know how a certain food made her feel after she ate it.

That set me to thinking about how I feel when I eat the carby foods that I miss when I am low carbing and how I feel when I don't eat those foods. I actually have no energy after eating those foods that I think I just can't or don't want to give up. They make me feel lethargic and all I want to do is sleep. I think it must be how a person must feel when they are drunk or drugged. And I realize that I DO NOT like that feeling. I might feel that way for a short time when I first start eating low carb, but it doesn't last for too many days and then I want to exercise and do things. So why would I want all those carby foods?

For me it comes down to one question "How do I want to feel when I finish eating?" Do I want to feel strong and healthy and full of life? Or do I want to feel like crap and need a nap after eating? So I am back OP. LC/IE/IF

p.a. Hang in there. You will feel much better if you do.

IndiAnna I agree with Mad. Keep doing what you are doing.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #281  
Madeleine

my only caution about not enough fat when doing low or lower carb, is that its the fat that makes you feel satisfied. Makes a huge difference for me. I now find I feel "full" differently, and later. SO I stop eating and about an hour later I realize i am more full and feel satisfied. Its not immediate at all. SO I keep my portions manageable and have more an hour or so more if something is bugging me and saying "I'm still hungry". then I have a bit more, and make sure I get more fat.
Last night I actually put butter to melt on my scallops with bacon. I know, sounds weird and maybe gross, but it wasn't and I had an appetizer sized serving of that and a small soup and was quite satisfied. Lots of calories, but lost weight.
Today is warm enough that the dog and I spent lots of time outside. She is liking laying in the sun.
The vet has told us she is nearing the end and its all about the quality of life for her now. I just love having her here, and hope she lasts a while longer, as long as she is happy and comfy. She still usually enjoys outings I thats so good for me.
Carol Sue, I hope you figure out what is wrong and get that weight back down again.

Trish, I actually am eating nightshades again, and am off wine. It really affects my inflammation, and in fact I rarely have alcohol at all now, as it gives me insomnia, no matter what kind of drink I have.

Anna, glad you are here and hope you can keep those sugars in line. Its terrible to think those things can happen to us. For me, I had a bleed in my eye diagnosed and that sent me back to the doctor and the lab. I hope to have all in order and weight down significantly when I go back in a few months. I lost more than 5% of my starting weight, and next mini goal is 10% and under 170. That will feel like a big win for me.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #282  

Fatmad Thanks for sharing how you add fat. I say I don't like fat, but there are some I do like. When I finally ate breakfast, I mashed an avocado in with the eggs. When it was decided not to go to Daddy's today, it was too late to get anything lc out to cook. So this became a CAD day. I made a hamburger and baked fries rather than fried. However, I did spray coconut oil on them. So I do like some of the healthier fats, although I have to say that I love bacon and things cooked in bacon grease.

I am doing all this Intuitively not restricting anything I really want to eat. It is a good thing that I really do love lc meats. I will probably make wings for a late snack tonight if I need it. Since this is a CAD day, supper has to be low carb.

The strange thing is that I obviously had enough fat today that I am very satisfied with eating less than I have in some time. So I can see the importance of having the fat in my diet. Also by removing restrictions through IE, has helped me a lot. I don't feel like I need to keep eating. I honestly believe it is the combination of lowcar and IE. I don't feel like I have to eat when I'm not hungry to reach a goal of pts or calories that a diet says I have to eat. I only have to eat if I'm hungry. Wonderful freeing feeling. LOL
Old 03-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #283  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Just popping in to say hello
Old 03-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #284  

Morning everyone.welcome Anna,,,
Hi Jesikabeth

Mad I belong to a keto group on Facebook,,,even though I don't do keto low I do eat lower carb,,,and yes you have to eat the 'healthy' fat to keep satisfied. For me the healthy fats are butter, avocado, olive oil, full fat diary, and fat on meats,,,I DONT deep fry anything,,,I think some people can use it as an excuse to eat garbage.
Still walking here and working on new ideas for pottery,,,

I don't make the dessert type recipes either,,,there's so many out there. I keep it simple.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #285  

I don't eat foods that are labeled low fat, such as cheese, except for milk. I use skim milk by preference of taste. Full fat milk tastes slimy to me after all the years of using skim. I think fatty foods cause potty problems for me. I noticed that when I eat the dark meat chicken I cook. I used to eat very fatty foods, fried foods, but now that I've been away from them I don't like them. I eat eggs almost daily and they contain fat, and I eat a lot of salmon, which contains healthy fat, and I use butter on my veggies. But I don't like bacon which seems to be a LC staple, and recently I don't like sausage, either. Or avacado. My tastes are changing. I don't add extra fat to my foods. I cut visible fat off meats, but do like to use meat that has marbled fat for tenderness and flavor. If I cook burgers, I blot mine, because I don't like it greasy. When I track my food on Fitday, my fat is usually around 50% or more, and that is just by listing the foods I eat and the butter I use for cooking, so I don't think I'm lacking in fat.

p.a. I don't make the dessert recipes, either. They don't interest me, and DH wouldn't eat them. He loves sweets, but wants the real thing. He said he wants to live his life enjoying eating what he likes and if shortens his life, so be it. I don't worry so much about the length of my life, as the quality.

Anna, I am very, very afraid of losing my toes or eyesight to diabetes. I sometimes get an "I don't care" attitude, but after seeing a few high blood sugar readings it brings me back to reality. You can't wait until something happens to change. It's too late by then. We have to make the changes, now.

I am afraid to go for an eye appointment because all the time I spend ignoring my diabetes may have caused irreversible damage. Although I can see, I'm afraid they will take away my drivers license, and I don't want that to happen.

Mad, how old is your dog? I don't remember if you said. We had one that lived to be 19, and another 17. As long as they are still eating and walking around with no pain, I think they are OK. I hope you have your for a while longer.

Trish, I had a talk with my friend, who must be tired of hearing me complain about the lack of success in weight loss. LOL She told me to take a week and just don't worry about what I eat or what I weigh. I understand where she's coming from on that, because I am getting so obsessed and upset when I don't get a drop. I have to be so extreme and diligent to lose even a lb, and one deviation from plan sends the scale back up. Yesterday, DH wanted pizza, and I ate it too. 4 pieces! I was surprised my blood sugar didn't spike, but I did take my Metformin and Glimiperide before I ate, but I am up another pound this morning. It really didn't taste as good as I remember it. Isn't that strange? My tastes have changed so much and I am going back to when I ate only fish and chicken. I don't even like red meat much anymore. But DH hasn't changed at all and it's causing problems because what I want is so much different than what he wants. Yesterday, morning, I would have been happy with scrambled eggs, but he went to pick up McDonald's. I told him I didn't want any, but he brought it anyway. I only ate the scrambled eggs. I really didn't want the sausage or biscuit, so I left them sit. Eventually, he threw them out for the critters. He ate the hash browns. He knows that most of the time I say I don't want something, but if it's put in front of me I will eat it. I'm so tired of doing that.

It's funny that you mention reaching a certain number of points or calories. I NEVER end up with not enough, always too many. Any time I track my food I end up with more than I originally intended.
Closed Thread