Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #256  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I want to add to Mad's comment about lows. What I was talking about was not riding out a low. If you are truly low, you do need to eat or take glucose tablets. But if you are getting symptoms of a low, such as feeling jittery, and you test and you are NOT low, then it's best to ride it out. The symptoms are just your body adjusting to lower blood sugar. When you blood sugars are higher for a long period of time, your body gets used to that and wants to stay there.

I hope they get your Dad's problems straightened out. It's a good thing you moved closer to him so you can help him.

Mad, I'm glad you are adjusting to IF. My body is also getting used to having less food. I did not do great on my last DD, but I hope to do better today. I have not lost anymore weight but also have not gained, so I consider that a good thing. For some reason this is effecting my bathroom frequency even though I am eating veggies. I guess if you put less in, there's less to come out!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #257  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue and Fatmad Thanks for the info on the lows. I agree as that was what I was thinking. As long as it isn't too low, I thought it might be good to ride it out and let my body adjust to the new low. Thanks fatmad for letting me know what too low would be. It doesn't get that low so I am safe doing it the way I do. The lowest I've had during those was a 99, but that hasn't happened in a while.

It is good that we moved here when we did for my DD. Actually DH was the one who suggested that DD take a Lasix and Xanax. When my DS took him to the ER a few months ago, we had given him another Lasix. By the time the ER decided to give him a Lasix shot, DH and I were there and told him that we had given him an extra Lasix at home. The ER doctor decided to send him home without the shot because the fluid was starting to come off and his high bp was coming down in ER. DH and I figured it would be better to give him the Lasix to bring the fluid down this time because he was not that swollen and it was a day he wasn't supposed to have the Lasix. We knew it wouldn't hurt him. He recently was switched from 2 Xanax a day to 1. He has panic attacks so I figured when his bp went up it got worse because he panicked. So it just made sense to give him one to calm him done. It helps that DH worked in the hospital for almost 20 yrs which makes DD trust him. He never knew that DH and I had discussed this before we got there. So coming from DH, he accepted the suggestion and by the time we left he was doing so much better. Today he is feeling much better. I think it also helped him that the EMT told him his antibiotic was making him tired. Today he is exercising his legs to keep them strong. I am so thankful that my DD is a fighter and will work to get well. I just hate he has had so many struggles along the way.

I fell off the wagon last night, but like fatmad says, on JUDDD it would just be an UD. I've had too many of those this past week so I'm going to suck it up and do a DD. My DD are not 500 calories, but if I get my act together with the IF, I should be okay.

fatmad I'm glad you will have time with your Dad today.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #258  

I had a NSV today and I want to tell about it. For years, I have not been able to walk up or down stairs in the normal way because of my bad knee. I had to just do one step at a time, leading with the same leg. This morning I stood at the bottom step and tried getting on and off the step with my bad leg. It felt fine, so I came all the way up the stairs in the normal way. I had to go slow, and held the hand rails on both sides, but I had no pain or weakness. I have been doing exercises to strengthen the thign muscle above my knee, and another woman told me that the recumbent bike helped with her knee problems. That's why I got it. I am going to do this more often, and once I master going up, I will work on going down, which is also difficult. When I first started using the recumbent bike my knee would click, but it no longer does that. I don't know what that means. I can remember when I used to run up and down the stairs!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-25-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #259  

Carol Sue Great news!!! Glad the recumbent bike is working for your knees. I don't have the problems with my knees since I started using mine either. It helps my back too.

I just may have to go back to an almost ketogenic woe again. I'm having too much trouble with wanting to eat more than I should. I don't really want to eat that way, but may have no choice. I like making Sunday my WI day and will decide before I go to bed tonight. I may start back on it tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #260  

We always hear it said not to wait until tomorrow to get back OP. So I decided not to wait. I am back OP tonight with supper. I made a low carb meal of eggs, ham and avocado with cheese and Picante sauce.

I also went on MFP and reset my protein/carb/fat ratios. I am cutting my carbs back below 50. Couldn't set it for less 15% which is 53 g. I divided the other between the fat and protein with fat % higher than the protein. I am keeping the calories at 1400 max. I think I just have to keep things within these guidelines. I did average of 20 minutes a day over a 6 days this past week and I will try to keep that up from now on.

I don't know why I had such a difficult week this past week, but I can't let it keep going that way. I have to get back on a low carb plan.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #261  

Trish, eggs are always a good meal to fall back on to keep carbs in line, and if you're like me, you will have lower blood sugar the morning after. I haven't been doing that lately with this plan, but you remember it always worked for me before.

I have to get my DD back in line. I've been creeping up on the calories. Not to the point of an UD, but too high for a DD. When I do that, I try to cut back on the next UD to compensate. I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm not losing, but not gaining either. That's good, but I want to LOSE!

I got a new piece of exercise equipment and have to re arrange things to fit it in. DH wants me to get rid of something, but so far, I still want all that I have. I will make it fit. My neighborhood has a big yard sale every August, and maybe by then I will be ready to get rid of something. I still use it all. I got a Malibu Pilates Chair at Goodwill for $20. They are $100 and up online. There is a video online of how to use it. There are some of the exercises that I will never be able to do, but some I can, and I like to vary my workout to keep from getting stagnant, and also to vary the muscles used. If I don't like it, it can be out there for the garage sale, too. LOL I should know by August if I want to keep it. There is always so much exercise equipment at Goodwill. People buy it then get tired of it, and it benefits someone looking for it. I bought some of my stuff full price years ago and I think I got my money's worth out of it by now.

I know most people don't have room at home for exercise equipment. We had the gameroom when the kids still lived there so they could have a place to entertain their friends in private. We never used it after they moved out so we got rid of the furniture and now it's my exercise room. I love it, even though I don't use it as much as I should. I want to get back to it this week now that I have something new to play with. LOL
Old 03-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #262  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone

Carol Sue, i am really happy for you to be able to do stairs "normally" again. I would think the combo of weight loss, and the exercises you have been doing are really helping. Thats wonderful

Trish: keep on trying. And yes, don't wait until tomorrow to get back on plan.

I unfortunately had another up day yesterday. Took Dad and Doreen out for brunch, and wound up having some toast and a few home fries with my eggs and back bacon. DOn't know why I didn't just order an omelette and tell them to skip the toast. My bad.
Then went to a friend's place for supper on the way home, chicken and roast veggies, but then there were cookies and piece of chocolate. I am afraid my food addictions were only on hold, still there, but in the background. I just can't have stuff in front of me. I stopped myself after a bit, but some damage done.

Having a DD today, and being careful.

Dad is well, and we are planning for his birthday, he will be 86 next month.

Have a happy healthy Sunday everyone
Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #263  

I didn't break my fast until I started having the low carb jitters. Then I cooked a low carb omelet and checked my fbs just before I ate and it was 108. Can't do that tomorrow because I have to go to DD at 9am. He has been feeling exhausted and the antibiotic he has been on for the UTI says to call doctor immediately if you are unusually tired or weak. I told him to call doctor's office in the morning to get in. I think he needs to have a urine specimen done and be sure everything is okay. However, I think on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday's when I stay home that I will continue waiting until my bs goes down before I break my fast. Hopefully this may help me to stay within the 1400 calories and 8 hr eating window.

My calories were just under 1400 today and I ate them within 7 hrs. It was a good day. Just have to take this One day at a time.

Carol Sue Always thought I would love to have an exercise room, but that is just a dream. Enjoy your equipment.

fatmad Glad you had a good visit with your DD and as for the eating? I agree, we just have to keep trying. I start each day out good and then we just have to work at having more successful good days.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #264  

I thought I posted last night but it's not here. Where on earth did I post it? LOL

I am up two more pounds and I'm so angry with myself! So now it's only 4 lbs down. This is quite a set back for me. I'm having trouble sticking to the 500 calorie days. I don't know why, because I felt fine with them the first week. I had some hunger, but it was OK. I didn't have any dizziness or headache. Just some growling in my stomach, which I was able to bear because it told me I was burning fat. Don't I want to burn fat again? I am determined to do this because it's the only way I can lose.

Trish, if you can't wait longer to eat on days you see your Dad, just eat an omlet or scrambled eggs. They will hold your hunger and have little to no effect on your blood sugar. I wish I could eat them more often but DH is still of the belief that they are bad for the heart, even though my cholesterol is low even with eggs daily. I think I will go back to buying the egg substitute from Walmart so I can have them more often without concerning him. I used that for a long time and they taste fine to me. That should ease his mind that I am eating too many eggs. Eggs are complete protein, low carb, and contain a lot of nutrients. I think I got into such a habit of eating them when I was single because they were so cheap, and I was on a tight budget. I also drank skim milk a couple times a day and I got away from that, too. I think that was a mistake.

Mad, I'm glad your Dad is doing well at his age. You and Trish have both had your Dad's for a long time. My Dad died at age 60 and my mother at age 64, so I was an orphan at 34. I think the longer you have your parents, the harder it is when you lose them. I hope you both have your Dad's for a long time.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #265  

Today is supposed to be a down day, but I don't feel good, and don't want to do 500 calories. So far today I had 2 scrambled eggs with some sauteed mushrooms, and a simmered chicken thigh. So far, this is 415 calories, 28 gm of fat, 35 gm of protein and 5 gm of carb, so I am going to continue and make it a low carb day, but also keep my calories as low as possible. We are going to Bob Evans. We were supposed to go yesterday but DH wanted pizza. I will get grilled salmon and veggies. That will bring it to 800 calories, which is still very low, 74 gm protein, 32 gm of fat and only 18 net carbs. And lots of water. I hope to stop eating after that. I think low carb should be as good as 500 cals to help get the 2 lbs off that I gained. I'm not sure why I don't feel well, but it could have something to do with the popcorn I ate the past 2 nights. I told DH never to make popcorn for me again, no matter how I beg him. He makes the best popcorn!! Big and white and fluffy, light salt and no butter. It just doesn't seem to agree with my bowel, ever since my surgery. I hope I didn't cause any damage. I should have known better.

Trish, every time someone tells me they would love to have an exercise room it makes me feel very guilty that I don't use it more often. Maybe that will give me the incentive I need. I remember one time my son brought a woman friend here and she said if I had all this I would be so skinny. Guess that was a much needed message.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-27-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #266  
Madeleine

Carol Sue: I hope you are doing better and the gain on the scale is just a temporary setback. Remember that being able to climb stairs again is a big win and you are doing better physically.
Be sure to eat enough every day, even the down days can be more than 500 if you are over all down.

I did well so far today, and planning just to have some salad for supper tonight, with some cheese in it.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #267  

I blew it again last night. DS and I decided that we are just under too much stress with our DD. So today, I'm not counting anything. I am just doing IE or the WW Simply Filling type plan. I was totally exhausted when I got up this morning. I got to Daddy's at 9 am and he had an appointment with PA at 11:30. DS got there shortly after with breakfast from Whataburger. We do better eating stuff from there. I had scrambled eggs and bacon. I did eat a few bites of the jalapeno biscuit DS gets with the meals. I don't try eating a lot of it because the jalapenos give me potty issues.

The only thing was that by the time we got through from the doctor's office and got DD home and settled, I had to go get his meds and a few groceries for him and us. My bs was coming down and I was feeling the cloudy thinking. That is when "adrenaline" kicks in on me to get me through all I have to do. I went to the store and then ran the stuff over to Daddy's on my way home. By the time I got home it was late so I stopped and got chicken on the way home because I didn't feel like cooking. Such is my life lately.

Daddy's UTI is gone, but he had a very low bp reading while at the doc's office. PA did a test to check his electrolytes and found that his potassium was borderline high. She said 1/10 more and it would be high. She took him off the Aldactone. The cardiologist had taken him off of it once before and then added it back half a pill 3 days a week. She also ran another test that she said she would have the results tomorrow. I think she said the would have him take another test later to see if he can take the pill again. I told her thought he was taking too much Lasix, but I understood that it is necessary with the CHF and I wasn't about to change anything on my own. She said we would know more after this test tomorrow and then we might need to take him back into the CHF clinic before his April appointment. I just hope he gets to feeling a lot better in the next few days.

I also got a new pill box for him. The one he has is so confusing to me and I am not sure he is taking the pills the way I set them up. It is also so easy to open that he opens more than one day and I'm not sure he doesn't get it mixed up. I don't think that will happen with this new one. DS and I decided to keep an eye on him to see how he does. As much as we hate to do it, we may have to put him in assisted living. She is looking at a place out here not too far from where I live. I figured that is why the Lord closed the door for me to move to the other places I wanted to move because I knew he was planning to this place out here if we ever had to move him.

Well, I'm tired and I need a nap so I'm going to close. I'm hoping with no rules that I will do better with my eating today. I spent about 30 + minutes rushing around Walmart today so I'm counting that as my exercise today.

I don't know if I could do 500 calories a day or not. I don't think I could with the Trulicity, but I really do hope I can still make tomorrow a fairly low calorie day.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #268  

Trish I wouldn't be able to do up days and down days like you do,,,,the up days would just make me crave more and more,,,I agree with Carol your body is adjusting to the lower numbers that why the jittery feeling. I felt exactly the same way when my A1C dropped from 12 to 5.8... I thought for sure I was having lows,,,nope my body was adjusting. Some days I felt awful,,,,now I feel awful if I eat a lot of carbs.

Been out walking lots lately,,,,spring has sprung here finally!!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:25 AM   #269  
Madeleine

it stayed above freezing overnight, so now I truly feel like its spring. I don't remember the furnace coming on at all.
Getting down below ticker again, hope to be changing it by weeks end. Today will be "normal" but tomorrow is meeting day and I have to be careful. Too easy to mess up and over eat around everyone who brings goodies.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #270  

S/C/G: 241/208/175

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone. My name is Anna and I'm new(ish) here. I'm closer to my goal than I've ever been. I'm hoping to keep that train rolling. : )
Closed Thread