Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I've had a good day. Ended up with an 8 hr window today. I will get a 16 hr fast because I won't eat until 11:30 or 12 tomorrow. DH has a Protime blood check tomorrow at 2 pm and then we will meet Daddy and my Sister and brother-in-law at 3 pm to eat. After we eat, we will go to Daddy's so DH can put the recumbent bike together that the 4 of us bought Daddy and then if we have time DH will download Daddy's pictures off his pc onto a portable hard drive so he can organize them for Daddy.

I don't know if I told you that my sister bought a new car and her DH is getting her old car and they are taking Daddy's truck and giving him the car her DH was driving which will cost Daddy a lot less gasoline wise. I watched him park and get out of his truck today and I'll be glad when he has a smaller car. I don't know how he gets in and out of it as there is no way I could get in and out of it. He is beginning to watch what he eats. I get the Taquito with egg, cheese and bacon which is 360 calories. He ate a Taquito today only he had sausage. I told him that his was only 360 calories too.

It was really cold here this morning. I got up a little early so I would have time to ride my recumbent bike for 30 minutes. Then I went to Walmart after I had breakfast and walked around for about an hour. I would have postponed going to Walmart if I hadn't had to pick up medicine. I walked up to the window to get my medicine and she said $23.00 and I said "What?" They had some kind of a mix up and didn't show my Part D insurance. When she got it straightened out, it was $1.00. I told her that was a medicine that I had asked my doctor for in SC; it wasn't something I had to have and if it had gone up to $23 that I would have stopped taking it. Big difference in $1 and $23. Like you said Carol Sue when we are on Social Security, we have to be more careful with our spending.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I'm very surprised that your Dad is still driving at his age, but my Uncle drove until he had his stroke, and died from it a month later, at 92. Most have given up driving in their 80s. I know DH will never give up his car keys. He will be clutching them in his cold dead hands when he dies. He will want to drive the hearse to the cemetary. LOL

I am not doing well with my water or snacking, but am leaving food on my plate at most meals for the past few days. It's very hard for me to leave perfectly healthy food. I gave the last piece of chicken to the dog, and the veggies went down the disposal. It's so very hard for me to "not finish my vegetables" but this is about stopping the clean plate habit, not healthy eating or even dieting. My membership in the clean plate club is expiring soon! LOL I think I will try to leave more and more as time goes on. I ate scrambled eggs this morning, and just now I ate a piece of leftover chicken, but instead of a snack, I'm calling that lunch. I'm making chili for dinner. That's going to be a very hard one, since I love chili!! I just realized I ate all my scrambled eggs. Oh well, nobody's perfect!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #93  

Trish, I have never gone on Goodreads site, but I went on it and looked around after you mentioned it. I didn't sign up or log in, just looked to see what I could see. Now I'm getting emails from them. How do they do that? Cookies, I guess.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #94  

Carol Sue I have looked at things online on Amazon and Women Within and the next thing I know we are getting emails offering them to me or I see ads on FB for what I was looking at. Home Depot does the same thing.

I find that a lot of people in their 90s still drive. There were ladies in their 90s in the church we attended in SC who still drive. Their sister who was in her late 90s drove up to the time that she got sick just before she died. My Daddy gets around pretty good. He doesn't get around quite as good as he used to, but he does well. We got the recumbent for him. DH fell early yesterday morning and couldn't walk because he needed to stay off his left leg for the day so my BIL went over and put the bike together for Daddy. Funny how he kept telling my sister and me not to get him one, but he is really glad to have it. It is so much fun to see him light up when we do things for him. I noticed today how good he is looking since we moved here and his bp has even improved. My DS keeps telling me this is because I live here now. We really enjoy spending time with him.

My plan has evolved to IF 14/10 with IE. The book by Reed Lean Fast Diet has a 3 Tier way of eating and IE is one of them. I think I'm just too rebellious to set calories etc. I end up eating more when trying to eat less. I decided that since I eat at 10ish at Whataburger on Monday and Wednesday and then on Friday around 10:45 to 11 that My eating time will start most days around 10 and eat nothing after 8 pm will give me a 10 hr eating window and 14 fasting. I'm eating mostly moderately low carb, but using the IE principles although I am eating only 3 meals a day or 2 meals and a snack. I'm just not going to set myself up to fail any more.

I am also going to try to use less processed foods where I can. I did that today and did very well and felt pretty good. I'm pretty much settled into exercising on the recumbent bike 6 days a week. On M/W/F I get up early enough to ride it before I leave at 9:30 am. I ride it everyday no matter what my plans are for the rest of the day. I walked around at the grocery store for a good hour or more today, but that is extra because I still rode the bike 30 minutes. I go a few minutes longer than the 30 minutes if I need to in order to get my 3 miles done each day as well.

I have an excellent plan. Eating more veggies and protein than anything else. I started to buy a roasted chicken, but decided to buy a chicken and bake it myself so I would know what was in it. I also read something interesting about pork. It has omega-6 fat so I won't be eating it as much as I was. DH doesn't care for it much so it will be easy to give it up. However, I did find a Natural bacon by Hormel that doesn't have any additives etc in it. We need to eat more fish or at least I am going to try to.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #95  

Trish, I am so glad you are enjoying Lean Fast Diet. I also found it very informative. There are a lot of expensive diet related books out there and you can really spend a lot of money on them, but this one was great, from an unknown author, and inexpensive. It actually contained some tips I hadn't heard before. One of these days when life slows down, I will pick it up and read it again.

Protein and veggies has been my plan for quite some time now. We have pork a couple times a year, not a lot. You do need some Omega 6, Trish, but in a smaller ratio to Omega 3. At least that's what I've read. For years I ate nothing but chicken and fish, but then I met DH and his eating is way different from mine. Many times I cook a steak for him and chicken or fish for me. And in a restaurant, we can each make our own choices. I am also going to go back to drinking milk. It is said to help with weight loss and I recently read that it helps with BP. I like it. I mostly got away from drinking it because it tends to increase mucus. I'll try it and see how it goes.

Exercise is key as we age, to keep us limber and strengthen our muscles and it's great that you got the bike for your Dad. A recumbent bike is very easy on the joints. I got mine at Goodwill for $25 so it was a great find. When I first started using it my bad knew would click, but it no longer does that, so I think it's helping. My cardiologist recommended walking in a pool, but I have no interest in that. I don't like to be in water. I can't even take a bath...it has to be a shower.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #96  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Hello everyone

I haven't been to this thread lately. All is ok in my world, just crazy busy.

I used to go to Diabetes Centers of America, it's like a one stop shop clinic for everything Diabetic - all under one roof (A1C testing, blood draw, diabetes educator, nutritionist, doctor, etc. etc. etc.) and I LOVED it.

WELL, the center by my house closed. I was so disappointed. However, my diabetes doctor moved to an endocrinology center near my house. So, I have an appointment with her tomorrow for my 3 month check up (A1C, etc.) NOT a one stop shop as far as I know, but at least it's my doc whom I adore

Kind of nervous actually. I haven't been checking my BG's as often as I should, when I do they are excellent, but still...

Last check up, my A1C was 5.9, and since then I have become somewhat lax. So I'm nervous!!

Last check up my doc talked about possibly lowering some of my Metformin. Again, nervous bc if my A1C is a 5.9, which is very good, why change a good thing?

I'm currently on 1000mg Metformin ER twice daily and Bydureon (non insulin) injection once weekly.

Hmmm.... Wish me luck! I'll be back on Monday to update.

Have a fantastic weekend all
Old 12-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #97  

Metformin has some other benefits to your body and few side effects, so I so no reason to lower it, but I'm not the doctor.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #98  

I just wrote a long message and lost the whole thing. Too tired to write another one.

JesidaBeth I hope your doc's appointment goes well. It probably will better than you think.

Carol Sue The Lean Fast Diet is full of a world of information that has helped me so that something has just clicked for me. I got so many good ideas from it. Even cycling the calorie/carb eating.

Today was our appoint for bloodwork. It was only 32 degrees when I got up this morning. We thought that we might get some rain and sleet, but it didn't make it this far. DH asked me to wait and go with him which meant I would have to fast until we went for our bloodwork as we have doctor appointments next Thursday. I got up about 7:30 to see if it was raining and/or sleeting, but thank God it didn't even rain. So I could have gone without him, but I decided to wait. It is a little further to the doctor's office than it was to our old doctor's office in SC.

LFD talks having longer fasting hours some days. I decided that since I will be fasting until my 1:30 doctor's appointment next week that I might as well practice it today. After all some people do a shorter eating window 2 days a week although they do 8 or 10 most of the other days. So I have decided to do the 14/10 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and do a 19/5 Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I will continue my recumbent bike exercise on Monday through Saturday. Sunday will be WI day and no exercise day plus I won't worry about a set eating window 8 pm will always be my cut off time for eating since that is when I start my fasting window. I am beginning to enjoy exercising on the recumbent bike. In fact there are days that I actually look forward to it. I think it is because I know that by using it that my joint hurt less and most days they don't bother me at all. It also helps my back.

I am very happy with the way things are going with my plan. It is "my plan" using the IF/IE way of eating principles. No struggle just very simple and easy to follow as it fits my lifestyle so well.

Another cold night tonight and it probably won't even be 30 degrees in the morning when I leave for the beauty shop. The good thing is that I can go to the beauty shop, meet Daddy for late breakfast or lunch and then come straight home. I don't need to go to the store or anything. I'm going to stay home all weekend and stay warm.

Hope everyone in the extreme cold weather will stay safe and warm.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #99  

I'm surprised that Texas gets that cold. We are having cold temps over the weekend, highs in the 20s. We have a dusting of snow on the deck, but nowhere else. Remember this past year when my niece had that terrible heart attack and was not expected to recover? Well, she has recovered and is doing well, but she can't drive, and probably will never drive again. Just this week my nephew told me that she and her husband moved to Austin TX because of his job. I hadn't heard that that was a possibllity, or I would have made it a point to see her before she left. We were never real close, but it really bothers me now to realize that I will probably never see her again. It was very shocking to me that she left behind her daughter and 2 grandchildren whom she saw daily. But I guess you have to go where your job takes you. He can't look for another job at his age (57) and good jobs are hard to come by in our area. I know that Tx is not at the end of the earth, but I don't know if either of them can afford the trips for visits.

I fast longer some days accidentally. DH doesn't eat breakfast every day, and some days he has cake or a donut for breakfast, so I don't eat breakfast on those days. On days that I do eat, I eat eggs around 10. If we don't eat breakfast, or if we are out and about in the morning, I usually don't eat until noon or later. And dinner is around 4-5. I try not to eat after 6, but that's hit and miss.

Yesterday I got a yen for some cereal, so I ate some of DHs raisin bran. Just about 1/2 cup with milk. I feel so good having had that extra fiber, that I might go back to eating Fiber One with my breakfast. When I was in the hospital my breakfast was bran cereal with milk, an egg, fruit and toast. Small portions of each. I kept that up for a while after I came home and I lost 15 lbs, quickly. I think the fiber will help with my bathroom issues, which I haven't had for a while now.

The scale hasn't gone down, but it hasn't gone up either.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #100  

JesikaBeth Be sure to let us know how your appointment went today. I suspect it will be a good doctor's visit.

Carol Sue We get all kinds of weather here especially in Central TX. I'm glad your niece is doing so much better. I'm sorry she moved without you getting to see her. I agree these days that people have to go where their job is especially when you get past a certain age.

I think no gain or loss is not a bad thing because I believe that you will soon see a whoosh of a weight loss. Maybe you need a little bit of fiber. Obviously it worked for you in the past.

I was going to share with you that at the beginning of 2016, we decided that one thing we were going to do was to learn "what would work for us". We didn't know if we would lose much weight during that process and we haven't lost much this year, but I do believe that we have learned what works for us. We have found plans that we can live with. I believe that now we just have to go with our own personal plan and give them a chance to improve our health and hopefully we will lose weight too. For me getting my FBS under control is my #1 goal right now.

Seeing my Daddy and Sister beginning to do some of what I'm doing is what motivates me right now. I noticed this week that they both ordered the Taquito with egg, cheese and they get sausage. I still get it with the bacon. They started eating them after Daddy got one Monday and I told him that he was only eating 360 or 380 calories. I can't remember which one. Now they both eat them. My Daddy is even doing a form of IF himself. I think he must be doing 19/5 most days as we eat around 10 am and he doesn't eat anything after 3 or 4 pm. When I was growing up and ate only 2 meals a day, most of the time my Daddy only ate 1 or 2 meals a day and he was extremely active as I was too. He had a cousin who ate 1 meal a day and had to have most of his colon removed and Daddy thought it was because he only ate one meal a day. I finally told Daddy that we don't know what he ate. I know his cousin owned a restaurant at one time and ate a lot of junk type food. I don't think you can eat certain junk foods everyday and be healthy. I'm glad to see Daddy eating healthy and exercising again.

My weight is bouncing back and forth, but not weight gain. Kind of hovering. Although my FBS is down under 200s, it is not low enough to please me so I will probably go onto the Trulicity shot once a week if the doctor thinks it will be okay for me to do so. It isn't something I want to do forever, but I don't want to go on with the higher readings. I want to get it under control now. If I can get the readings and the weight coming down, I think it will encourage me to keep doing what I'm doing. I know the exercise should help do that so not sure she will want to start it at this time. I am willing to wait if that is her recommendation. We see her next Thursday afternoon.

Reed who wrote the Lean Fast Diet book mentions in the book that he was planning a book to guide woman who do IF. I am almost through with LFD so I think I will look to see if he has written the new book yet and get it. I hope it will be on kindle.

Have a great evening and I will wish y'all a great weekend now just in case I don't get back here until Monday.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #101  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Hi Everyone. Well my Dr. appointment went well. Kinda. My A1C was a 5.8 whoohoo - BUT... I've been having a lot of GI issues and have an appointment with my GI doctor tomorrow. So, my diabetes doc wanted me off the Bydureon injections because they could be either causing the GI issues OR making them worse. Potential pancreatitis, even. SO... before I was on Metformin ER 1000mg twice daily and Bydureon injections once a week. She took me off the Bydureon (at least for the time being), and has me on a small dose of Actos and continue the Metformin ER. She said to expect my blood sugars to be higher than they have been, but right now the GI issues and potential pancreatitis trumps that. Sigh. I admit I am a bit disappointed. I suppose we shall see...
Old 12-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #102  

JesikaBeth, I feel that you could control your blood sugar reading by eating fewer carbs, rather than having them go higher with the injections. But that's completely up to you. It's harder, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

I would be very happy with an A1c of 5.8.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #103  

I'm a little bit early for reporting my results for 2016 because there's still a couple weeks left. I looked back and saw where I reported that I stayed in Onederland over the holidays, so I would say I was in the high 190s, and now I am at 206 this morning, so a gain for the year, unless a miracle occurs, in addition to the one we know about. LOL My blood sugar is way up, too, although this morning it was under 200. That's because it was so high at bedtime I took extra Glimiperide. I really don't know what's wrong with me that I can't do better. I KNOW what I am supposed to be doing. I just feel like a fat blob right now.

I had a great breakfast this morning. Sauteed mushrooms with frozen mustard greens, then an egg scrambled into it, and I didn't actually eat that until 1PM. I do so well early in the day. I need to put more emphasis on later. That's where my problems lie.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 12-12-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #104  

JesakaBeth Glad your appointment went fairly well. Sorry about having to come off the injections. I understand one of the possible side effects of the Trulicity injections that I want to go on is pancreatitis. However, my sister takes it and her blood sugar is good. I see my doctor Thursday and will see what she has to say. I couldn't take Metformin because I couldn't stay go any where because I was always having diarrhea. Prayers coming your way.

Carol Sue I have the same problem. I do so well during the day and then later in the evening all **** breaks loose and I am wanting to eat everything in sight.

I really think right now my problem is that it is a combo of things. 1. I was off for so long with the move. 2. I was so good during Thanksgiving. 3. Now it is Christmas time and I want some of the goodies to eat, but I have to be good because I have doctor's appointment Thursday afternoon. I usually lose weight during the holidays, but it is a struggle right now.

Right now, I'm just trying to get through the holidays. The only thing working in my favor is that I've got my exercise routine going for me. I have been looking at WWSP and Calorie Counting, but I talked to my baby sister yesterday. Her doctor put her on lowfat diet and she counts calories , but I think she has cut the fat too far back. She now weighs 100 lbs. Her doctor told her to stop losing weight. She said that she is wrinkled in some places and I told her to be sure she is eating some fat, 30%, and put just a few lbs back on and maybe some of those places would fill out again. She still has her sweets etc, but she makes everything with Splenda and says her family can't tell the difference. She is moving back here in about 4 or 5 months which will be nice because we can do this together. Her DH does this with her.

She told me not to set my goal so low as 120 lbs etc, but take my age into consideration and set my goal higher. I told her that DH and I had talked about me just setting my goal at 150 lbs. He thinks I would look great at that weight.

I am going to continue using MFP and count calories. I am going to go more lowfat, but also try not to go too high with the carbs as I think that is important too. I will talk to my doctor and may even as her if they have a dietician to help me. Not sure about that one. My carbs will mostly come from fruit and veggies.

I haven't looked to see where I am in regards to where I was a year ago. The main thing I want to do is get myself headed in the right direction so that next year I will be much healthier than I am now.

I am determined not to keep going down the road I have been going on for so very long.

Have a great evening.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #105  

Trish, My best weight was around 130 lbs, but I know I will never weigh that again, nor do I want to. I would be very happy at 150, and satisfied with 175. But that won't happen if I continue to gain. I tracked my food for today and I was around 1700 calories. I baked cookies today for Christmas. I normally don't eat any but I ate two. I had to make sure no one was going to get sick on them. LOL They are in the freezer now. I think 1700 cals is maintenance for me, as I lose best at 1500 or less. Right now I just want to get back under 200. That's all I want for Christmas, and I have 12 days to do it. Tonight when I go to bed I will pray that God helps me do this.
Closed Thread