Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #16  

Morning ladies,,,,
Carol no I wasn't having trouble with my eyes,,,and when he first checked them he thought it was mild. Ughhh
I've been back into my walking again lots of days over 10,000 steps!! I have my diabetic check up next Monday and I already no my bloodwork is good but my weight is up!! I'm knuckling down this week to get it as close to my lowest as I can.
I think 8.1 or 140's is very high for me,,,can't imagine over 200's...I'm thinking that's over 10 in Canada.
I aim to stay in the 6.0-6.9 area

Off to do errands...
Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Oh, p.a. I am to stay below 7, but I don't. I have had readings in the 300s, and one in the 400s. That's in the 20s in Canada!! Yikes!! Right now I'm having a hard time getting it down below 200, and when I do get it down, it quickly goes back up, and that's with meds. I don't know what's going on. I am going to have to eat zero carb for a couple days to get it to come down and stay down.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-24-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #18  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

afternoon,
i pop in every once in awhile. but, today when i couldn't put on last years jeans, that was it. i have to take this weight off and bring down the A1C so they will take me off the meds. saw a new endro months back. he said i was back in to prediabetic numbers again. 5.8. so he put me on trulicity, metformin, some other pill. on the three month check up i didn't lose any weight. his PA said that i have to lose the weight. that was to be my goal. she said she was changing my meds again cause they have better appetite control. i have told them both, i have a binge eating disorder no matter what the appetite suppressant is i can eat. i have messed up my bodies full/hungry signs. i also have anxiety disorder and OCD. gee and you tell me to lose weight. thanks. as i don't deal with the "fail" mind anyway. i had lost 121+ lbs. gained back 60 after i had excess skin removed. so i decided when i went jean shopping this morning. back to the carb counting. i lost half the weight doing that, the other half on weight watchers. we camp a lot so carb counting is easier for me to do. i do know both plan by heart. i am breaking out the food scale and back to serving sizes again also. i remember my dietitian asking me why i thought i couldn't have my sandwich and chips for lunch everyday. i said chips aren't healthy. she asked if it was within carb count i said yes, she responded than why not eat what you want. yup why not.
have a good day ladies.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:32 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Chipper Welcome. Yes, get control before you become a full fledged diabetic. I know that is sometimes easier said than done. Good luck on your journey.

p.a. So sorry about the eye problems. I hope losing weight and getting things under control will slow down or stop the process. Saying prayers for you.

Carol Sue Thanks for the recipes. I found the chipped beef in a jar and bought a package of white gravy that had to be mixed with water and cooked and DH loved it, but said it was so much richer and better than the frozen version that he not only liked it better, but wouldn't eat it as often. It satisfied his desire for it for a while.

I've made up my mind that I am going on South Beach Diet. It is ridiculous for me not to do it. I am on their FB site and began reading their posts today. Many who had done Atkins were saying that they we happier on the SBD because they didn't have the flu reactions during the 1st 2 week phase. I don't have time for that reaction either as I'm just too busy these days so will spend the rest of the week getting all the ingredients so that I can start Sunday. I have an really good doctor who is willing to work with me so I need to get busy and giver her something to work with.

The past few weeks have been too busy to do this since I need to be cooking most of our meals in order to stay OP. We have been eating out too much for dieting of any sort. We finally got most of the things done that we had to do such to get driver's license etc. Hopefully next week we will be staying home most of the week except for my mornings out for breakfast with DD and DS and trips to grocery store to replenish food. And the nice thing is that the Whataburger breakfast plate minus the biscuit is SBD friendly although there are no veggies, however, I might take a few raw veggies with me.

We have a Luby's cafeteria where DH and I enjoy eating and it is fairly easy to make good choices that are almost SBD friendly. We have also found a local steak house that we love going to and of course steak houses are very SBD friendly. We have much better restaurant choices here that are lowcarb/SBD friendly here than we had in SC.

My DS and I are spending the day together Saturday planning to either go up to Ft. Worth to hook up with her oldest DD to celebrate my nieces birthday if she is available to be with us. She is a very busy girl so she may not be available. So in that case, we will stay in town and spend the day doing something else while our DHs take our Daddy to a WW2 Air Show in Dallas. That is why I am waiting to begin SBD Sunday. However, I will be easing into SBD slowly before then.

I read on FB SBD group where they suggest that if you get off one meal or for a day to just jump right back OP. That is my plan. My problem is that I always expect perfection and when I am not perfect, I give up and quit. No more. This is life and nothing in life is perfect so I will no longer expect me to be. I will only expect me to do OP most of the time and try to learn that an off plan meal or day does not have to be the end of the diet. It is just a bump in the road.

DH is like a different person. He actually enjoys doing things and getting out whether it is just the 2 of us or with my DS and her DH and our DD. Plus we are all trying to eat healthier. I honestly believe this move is the best thing for us although we are still trying to figure out where everything is going to go, but it is good. The medical network we are in here has a Pro-time Clinic where DH is going tomorrow for them to test for his blood thinner. They will work with him to keep it regulated and then send the report to our primary doctor. I feel like everything is falling into place.

Well, if you have read this far. Thanks. I will also try to start coming here regularly again so we can all encourage each other.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #20  

Glad to hear you are settling in, Trish. I haven't spent much time in other parts of the country, but when I think of SC I think of southern cooking, and TX makes me think of western cooking. I think my low carb leans toward SB because I am not an Atkins low carb. I eat beans, dairy and fruit occasionally, although it is not a regular thing. I am trying to eliminate snacks though, which are a must on SB. I try to go longer between eating to lower insulin, and practice IE to keep from eating when I am not hungry, out of habit. If I stay true to it, I lose and my blood sugar goes down. It's not the plan that doesn't work, it's up to me to work the plan. I am far from perfect. I think you will be happier if you try to be more forgiving of yourself when you go OP.

I wonder how Bonnie and her family made it through the recent hurricane. I hope they are safe.

Hi Chipper! This is a struggle for sure for all of us. We have to figure out what works and doesn't. One size does not fit all. A dietician can advise you, but you are the one who has to step on the scale and fit into the jeans. Find out what works for you and do it 80% of the time.

p.a. Hope you're doing well and your eye is improving.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-27-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #21  

Morning everyone,,,a good week. Lots of walking and good eating! I feel more in control these days.
I won't know how the injection worked until nov 14th....so hoping there is a big change for the good.

We had our first snowstorm of the year yesterday,,I was not prepared. Getting milder this weekend so I'm going to work on my list to be ready for next one.

Carol,,,,400's,,,, that's scary. Maybe it's time to change your meds?
Trish your moving sounds better and better...I'm glad it's all working out.
Hi Chipper! I eat low carb as well,, but I could not eat a sandwich and chips for lunch my bg dosnt like it...wayyyy to many carbs in that for me. Your lucky it works for you. I keep my carbs under 50 per day...total carbs not net. My splurge each day is an apple..I love fruit and apples are good on my bg.
I test a lot and have found a lot of foods that spike my bg.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #22  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

i was DX diabetic june 2006. was on meds. when i lost the weight i went into remission. people don't understand, once your a diabetic you will always be. when you start doing your old lifestyle again, back it comes. it has for me. i am just going back to what i learned when first DX 45 per meal, 15 morning/afternoon snack, 30 evening must include protein. i am fortune that not many things send my sugars way up. under 100 most mornings. with all three of these meds though i found i can't workout like i like too. both times with trainer i became dizzy, nausea, sweaty. tested and i went low in the 70's. for me that is low. i had to stop working out so hard. right now i concentrate on the food. being a binge eating i have to learn to eat so differently. some good days some not so good.
have a good day ladies, i have to get some housework done and laundry.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Glad to hear you are settling in, Trish. I haven't spent much time in other parts of the country, but when I think of SC I think of southern cooking, and TX makes me think of western cooking. I think my low carb leans toward SB because I am not an Atkins low carb. I eat beans, dairy and fruit occasionally, although it is not a regular thing. I am trying to eliminate snacks though, which are a must on SB. I try to go longer between eating to lower insulin, and practice IE to keep from eating when I am not hungry, out of habit. If I stay true to it, I lose and my blood sugar goes down. It's not the plan that doesn't work, it's up to me to work the plan. I am far from perfect. I think you will be happier if you try to be more forgiving of yourself when you go OP.
Carol Sue, I would do better if I followed the SBD Guidelines with IE/IF. My FBS does better when I eat that way too. Like you, the problem isn't the plan, it the one working the plan or the lack of working the plan. I am the problem not the plan.

Easing into the plan hasn't been so good so far and I'm supposed to start 100% OP Sunday. I start off very well, but don't follow through for the day. I hope I will be able to do SBD, I'm a little shaky about it. I am not good at doing the snacks either especially in the morning as it just does not fit into my day since I don't eat breakfast until around 10 or 11 in the morning. I know that I actually do better doing a 10 hr eating window eating 3 meals eaten 5 hrs apart. My main thing with any plan is just "doing it". I have learned that eating more of a low carb (not Atkins low carb) does work best for me.

Today when we got to Whataburger after having our hair done, it was past breakfast so I asked for a hamburger without a bun and ate it plain, no mayo, mustard or ketchup. I ordered onion rings instead of fries deciding that would be better than the fries. I came home and cooked chicken tenders with chicken gravy and I had mine on squash noodles and a salad. My problem with eating the salad is that I always want crackers with it. I ate one chicken tender, the noodles and half the salad. I had the other half of the salad with the other chicken tender cut up in it. It would be great if I could say that is all I had, but it wasn't. I had chips, my weakness, and some of the candy we bought. Hopefully, Sunday will be better.

Tomorrow is our trip to Ft. Worth to celebrate my niece's birthday. I look forward to visiting with her before she moves to OK to start her new job. I haven't seen her in a few years.

Y'all have a nice week end.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #24  

p.a. I don't want to take more meds. In fact, I want to take less. If I follow my low carb plan and also, IF, my blood sugar comes way down and stays there, with just 1/2 gm of med twice a day. My problem comes when I don't follow through with low carb. The meds allow me to eat more carb, but I don't want the meds because it seems that you just have to keep increasing them. I can do this. I just have to set my mind to it.

Chipper, in the past I have had some heated discussions with people who say diabetes can be "cured." I agree with you that it can go into remission with proper diet and weight loss, but you must continue your proper diet or your blood sugar shoots up again. Dr Jason Fung has a website where he says that extended fasting will cure diabetes to the point that you can eat carbs again without increasing blood sugar. I am very sceptical of that, and I don't really see myself doing any extended fasting. He's talking days of fasting, not hours. There's a part of me who wants to be able to enjoy a plate of spaghetti and meatballs........

Trish, I remember once asking about the 2 snacks and why they are not optional, but I can't remember what the answer was. I believe that we should not eat if we are not hungry, and I now believe that the more often we eat, the more we stoke our insulin, which we want to avoid. That's not to say that I don't eat when I'm not hungry, but that is a goal I strive for. I believe if I had never eaten when I wasn't hungry then I would still be thin. I eat because it's meal time, or because DH wants to eat, or just because the food is sitting there in front of me. I just wish I had more self control.

I'm glad you are getting to spend more time with your family and I know you and they enjoy that. It's a shame your niece is leaving just as you got there.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #25  

Good Morning,

Chipper Your story is so similar to mine. I reversed the diabetes 2x in my life, but as soon as I went back to my old ways, the diabetes returned. I agree, we can go into remission, but if we want it to stay there, we can never go back to our old ways of eating. I did it once doing lowfat and the second time doing low carb. As my previous doctor told me, "Any diet will work if you can live with it". So I am hoping to use what I've learned to create my own plan. And yes exercise is important but I don't think we have to go overboard. Being active is very important.

Today I am back OP. I'm not naming this way of eating. I am doing low carb and using the SBD guidelines, but I am not going to say I am doing SBD because I'm not following it 100%. Carol Sue I don't agree with eating a snack when I'm not hungry either. I think doing that has caused me to lose the ability to know when I am hungry.

I am using MFP to count calories and eating less carbs. My new doctor said that you don't have to do Atkins low carb to do low carb so I'm not going to. I am going to try to keep bread and pasta out of my diet as much as possible. I think there are enough people today who do Paleo so that it seems to be easier to even get hamburgers without bread. I know that Whataburger has no problem when I ask for breakfast or hamburgers without it.

I had a nice time with my sister and her daughters. My niece who is moving to OK is going to work for a previous boss who is up there who has wanted her to work for him for a number of years. She will be General Manager of a store up there. The company is paying to break her lease on her apartment and moving her there and she will get a nice raise so I am happy for her. She will be about 3 hrs from us instead of the one.

DH enjoyed the WW2 Commerative Air Show they took my Daddy to. Daddy learned of a plan and crew who were headed home after the war crashed and they all died which he had never heard about and met some other WW3 Veterans he didn't know so he really enjoyed it too. DH has already found another Air Show that will be here in town in March so I'm sure they will be going to that one too. So good to see my DH enjoying life again and having some male friends (family members) to do things with.

Guess I better call my Dad before it gets any later. I don't know when the Cowboys play so want to check on him before the game. Y'all have a great Sunday and I'll touch base sometime tomorrow to let you know how my plan went today.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #26  

I did very well with my food today. That's the first time in a long time that I can say that. I wanted to try doing a 2 day fast but DH talked me out of it. He said he didn't want me to get sick but I think he just wanted me to go out to eat with him. LOL I fasted for 6 days when I was in the hospital and I was fine. So I just ate small today. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, as always. No lunch, but an early dinner at Bob Evans, of salmon, carrots and a tossed salad. They have banana bread there. I had 1 bite of DH's, and I brought mine home so he can have it with his coffee in the morning. I am a little hungry now but will try not to eat again. If I get really hungry, I will eat something small, though.

They are making scotch eggs on TV. I would like to try one someday. I heard of it made with hard cooked eggs, wrapped in sausage meat, rolled in bread crumbs and deep fried. On TV they made them with soft boiled eggs and that looked good. I guess I shouldn't be watching cooking shows when I'm hungry. LOL
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #27  

Carol Sue I'm glad you had a good eating day. I think I can do the fast from 8 or 8:30 pm until 10 or 10:30 the next morning. I'm going to work on that one.

I ended up just counting calories today and tracked it on MFP. I put my percentages on there a few months ago of protein/carb/fat and the only thing I went over on was the sodium and the fat so I guess I did pretty good since I stayed within my 1500 calories. My sister and I went in together and bought me a Keurig coffee pot when I moved here. I am hooked on Cappacino and a Chia drink so I just have one each a day and count the calories. I drank them tonight and they made me feel really full so I think that will keep me from eating anything at night.

I am going to be doing the recumbent bike on Tue, Thurs and Sat as those are the days I am home. I do all my running on Mon, Wed and Fri when I go for breakfast with Daddy, my sister and whoever else decides to show up and visit with us. My Daddy and sister's preachers wife comes and eats with us a lot of mornings. Since it is so far over there for me to meet them, I run whatever errands I can so I don't have to make trips back... saves gasoline.

You know I was able to choose my electric company here in TX. The company I chose gives me free electricity from 8pm to 4am. So I'm wash clothes in the evening now and dry the clothes after 8pm. We don't waste though since this only lasts for a year, I don't want to get into a bad habit of wasting electricity; plus DH and I are used to conserving energy and I don't want to have to retrain myself when we go back to paying for it during those hours. I'm not use to doing laundry so late at night. I really wish I had chosen earlier hours. I love my new washer and dryer. I don't know how they get clothes clean and dry in such short time, but it does. That will save money too.

I'm not really fond of my new refrigerator. It looked like it would be more roomy, but it isn't. We are going to have to buy a small chest freezer and place it in the garage. Home Depot told us the one we want is going on sale in November so we will go order it sometime next week. Then I will be able to purchase more meat and place it in the freezer.

Carol Sue We both have one successful day to build on. See you here tomorrow.

Chipper, P.A. and others Hope y'all have had a good day as well.

P.A. I'm praying your eyes will improve.

Good night.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #28  

Trish, I want to call your attention to an issue you might have with putting a freezer in your garage. What is the temperature of your garage in the hotter summer months? My son got rid of his garage freezer because he heard that if your garage gets hot, you really waste a lot of electricity since the freezer has to run constantly to compete with the hot temperatures. If your garage tends to be cooler from the air conditioning in your home you should be OK. It's something to think about. We have a small freezer but we have a basement that does not get hot.

That's a great deal to have free electric overnight and a good idea to do laundry then. Now that it's just DH and I, I make sure that we have enough clothes etc that I only have to do laundry every two weeks and can get a full load, that is more economical. You have to come up with ideas to save where you can. I was constantly washing clothes when the kids were here. And towels!! So many towels to wash!

Here's my broken record again. I am going to get back to exercising. LOL LOL I really have to. My husband's friend's mother passed away recently, at age 80. He is a single guy and for the past couple months he had to take care of her, doing things for her than no son should have to do for their mother. I didn't know him well enough to ask if he checked into getting help to come in. They have agencies. But it made me think that someday, if I'm lucky, I will be that old, and really don't have anyone to do things like that for me, and wouldn't want them to, really. So I'd better get busy and get myself in better physical condition so I don't need it. My bestie from high school is 71. She lives in a townhouse and is up and down 3 flights of stairs all day, and walks outside daily, weather permitting. She lives on a hilly street. She walks up and down several hills like a trooper. She sets a great example for me. I will no longer walk outside, but I need to do a lot more than I do. I would say she walks a mile up to the service station and then back home. Even my DH finds it hard to believe that she does that at 71. Also, I saw an article in Fitness Magazine about a 91 year old woman who exercises daily! Makes me feel so inadequate.

Hoping to have another good eating day today. I joined a challenge on another forum and Wednesday is weigh-in day. I have decided not to weigh in between weigh in days, so I won't know until Wednesday if I'm being effective. I get frustrated when I see fluctuations. If I go a whole week without any loss I will know I need to try harder. My blood sugar is coming back down, though.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #29  

Carol Sue We don't have any other place in this house to put a freezer so it will have to go in the garage.

I gained 5.6 lbs this month. So I am too am going to get serious about taking care of my weight and health. I went on Whataburger nutrition site and found that I can have a Taquito for about 360 calories and 26 to 28 carbs. So I will start eating those. BTW while looking at their menu, I found that some of their meals have MSG. I know I'm allergic to MSG so I've decided when I have the potty problems that I've probably gotten MSG. Still am using the Lactose free milk though.

I've got to head out to meet Daddy and sister, but I'll be back later. Here's to another good eating day. I just want to start checking in here daily to stay OP.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #30  

I just tried something new and want to post a review. It is Birds Eye Protein Blend, from the freezer case. I had a cents off coupon and decided to try it. They have several and I tried Tuscan Blend. It was very tasty, I really liked it, but it's pretty high calorie. It has vegetables, whole grain and protein. The Tuscan Blend had mixed veggies, like peas, green beans, carrots and zucchini, along with some lentils, garbanzo beans, brown rice, bulgar wheat and something that forms a tasty sauce when you cook it. It's an 11 oz package, and you put the whole frozen, unopened package in the microwave. Another option is to cook it on the stove top adding a small amount of water, which is what I did. I really did like it, but probably won't buy it again because I like it enough to over eat on it and like I said, it is high calorie, especially compared to just vegetables. Another reason is because DH would not eat it and that would leave me to eat the whole bag. LOL But for those who like to eat whole grains, it's really a convenient choice. I think it would be great just with some cut up grill chicken, like a stir fry.
Closed Thread