Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #31  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

good morning.....told hubby last night that today i will fight the urge to go get the marked down halloween candy. i always do and put in freezer. i tell myself that if it's just there i will be ok mentally. frozen or not i will eat it. i have had some in the house. it's in a box. out of sight out of mind for me. today i will put in freezer. i am going to start telling myself that i felt better 60lbs ago than i do today. to grab hold of that fit feeling. doing a yoga dvd this morning. never done yoga been wanting to try it. have a guy working on our RV all week, so have to stay home. but, at least it will keep me from just watching tv all day. my family doctor doesn't think i need to be on all these meds. he knows my mental state. he wants me to see endro one more time and stop. he will take me off the meds. have to think on this.
have a good day. need to get breakfast and dressed before this guy shows up.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Chipper, we have bought the marked down candy in the past. I rarely eat it anymore and DH isn't crazy about chocolate, but if he buys it I will try to do my best to stay out of it. I never thought of freezing it, but I understand that frozen food can be easily defrosted. LOL

Is your family doctor talking about the diabetes meds? I think you are better off with as few meds as possible. They do make it possible for you to eat more carbs, but I think you are better off eating a low carb diet and exercising. Some meds have side effects and your doctor may want you to avoid them. The one I am on contributes to weight gain, which is never good. I want off them, but will continue with Metformin since I believe it is beneficial in other ways, too. But this is my opinion. You have to do what you feel is best for you in the long run. I have never gone to an Endo. I have heard good and bad things about them. My family doctor handles all my diabetic needs. I do see a cardiologist for my heart issues, though.

I bought a used Yoga DVD at Goodwill but haven't tried it yet. I can only do standing exercises, as I have bad arthritis in my knees and if I get down on the floor DH has to help me back up. Or I need a crane. LOL I have heard that Yoga is good.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #33  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

yes, my family doc can manage my diabetes. i'm on three meds for that. i use to take just victoza until i lost the 121+ lbs. than controlled by diet and exercise. when i had the excess skin removed 3 yrs ago. i was lost without my gym, and gym rat buddies. all said they would help me recover. when i got the go ahead to go back they didn't have time or had left the gym. i relied so much on them. didn't realize it at the time. i have learned since. it's me i have to rely on. but, me is out to lunch right now. lol. i had lost 75 doing carb counting, than life took a down hill slide and i started gaining some back. one night daughter came over and dragged me to WW. something clicked and that started the 2 yr of weight loss and gym and maintained all of 2013. body just wouldn't budge from 170. i felt good and thought i looked good, went to a size med, 12 pants. than the surgery. WW location closed, gym friends gone. just haven't found the umph to do it again. all i did was find 60 lbs. so everyday i rely on the 170lb feeling. got rid of the smaller clothes, except my favorites. reminders lead to food.
today i am riding my bike up the street to return a library book. it's something to get me out of the house. we have an RV repairman putting on a new roof. so he's here all day for the week.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #34  

I'm sorry to hear you no longer have your gym friends. It seems that they were keeping you in line with your exercise and you looked forward to the camaradarie. That would make it hard for you to continue. We are all different. I am the type who prefers to go it alone. I have always been less active and fit, and would always compare myself to others and never felt that I measured up. While some take that as incentive to push themselves harder, for me it makes me want to drop out of a race I can never win. I prefer to try to be the best that I can be and my goal was to do better than I did last week, not measure up to someone else.

Weight Watchers is a good plan, I believe. It's good for those who don't want to deprive themselves of foods that they enjoy. I was able to work the plan and continue low carb. What worked best for me was the information and encouragement received at the meetings and the accountability of weighing in front of someone else and wanting to "be good" and show a loss. The cost is why I stopped it, and unfortunately without the informational meetings and accountability I was not able to stick to it.

I think you have a good grasp on what you should do and how to do it. Knowing plays a big part. I believe you can control your blood sugar with diet and exercise, and your doctor can slowly wean you off the meds you are on!!
Old 11-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #35  

Afternoon everyone
Had my diabetes check on Monday...dr was pleased with my numbers. We discussed my high bs morning fasting readings and I told her I can't get them down. Now she saw my A1C was 6.1 so she knows overall I'm doing good. But, with my eye problems starting now I need to get that number in check. She suggested a med that isn't to control my diabetes but it will make me 'pee out'sugar from carbs. She offered me a card that allows me to get the med for a year for free. So I'm starting it today. A plus side to it is it helps you lose weight. She mentioned I was up 5 pounds since last visit and I was honest and said I had been up more but that I'm coming back down again so she said this pill will help me. If I didn't have this concern for my eyes I would have passed on more meds but when the opthamoligist said my desease could be progressing it scared the crap out of me....so I will try it and see how my morning numbers are. Today was 7.1 which is still high but lower then it has been.

Carol I totally get why you want to get off the meds....
Chipper sounds like your getting back into the exercise mode. Good for you
Trish I'm on my own and have a freezer...I use it to much for meats etc on sale.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #36  

Glad to hear you had a good Dr visit, p.a. They eye problem could be due to age rather than diabetes, since your A1c or BG were never really high...like mine. It's still prudent to work on keeping it low, though.

I have heard of a med that makes you pee out the sugar, but it was advertised as a diabetes pill. I believe it has side effects, such as UTIs. My doctor suggested it to me because of the weight loss benefits but I turned it down due to cost. I don't remember the name of it.

I have always hated daily weighing, because the fluctuations upset me, but I am considering going back to it. When I did it before, it helped me stay away from night time snacking because I realized that passing on a night time snack might bring a loss the next morning. Maybe it will work that way again.

I have been using down the extra food I have in my freezer, both upstairs and down. I want to get back to using just the upstairs freezer over the holidays as I want to use my downstairs freezer to freeze Christmas cookies so I can bake ahead. I am out of almost all meats now, and down to the minimum on frozen veggies. I will start buying smaller quantities as I need them now instead of buying larger quantities and stocking up. It is cheaper to buy them on sale in larger quantities, but I need my freezer space, now. I would also like to buy an extra turkey for the freezer while they are on sale. So our dinners have been based on what I had left in the freezer. LOL Looks like it's going to be hot sausage today.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #37  

Hit 175.5 today, in the 4th day of what is now a 15 day fast.
Finished an 8 day Monday @ lunch. Next one is Tuesday the 15th lunch again.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #38  

Trish that's sounds like the med I'm on...it's called Forxiga.
Warning TMI.... woke up this morning early and weighed , during the next 3 hours I peed 3 times and dropped 1.5 pounds. Those pills work fast.

Last edited by p.a.; 11-04-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #39  

p.a. Hope you're doing well with your new med.

I did very well with my food today. 1100 cals, 26 gm carb. That's my main interest. My online food log also shows nutrition, but I rarely look at it. I looked today and my calcium intake is really low. I think I'll start having a glass of milk or two per day. And/or some cheese. I know that's going to raise my calories. Maybe a supplement, but I like to get my nutrition from food. All minerals are low, too. No red meat today, maybe that's it. I will have to check it on a red meat day.

Hope everyone else from our little group is doing well.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #40  

Trish, I don't know if you are still reading here. I bought some Duke mayonaise today. I have heard that it's good, but could never find it around here in PA. I heard that it is sold mostly in the south. Our big one here is Hellman's. I saw the Duke in Walmart and decided to try it.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:02 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I just read this article on yahoo about high protein diets.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/7d8bb79...veals-how.html

DH and I have had a virus for a number of days now. I'll be back soon.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #42  

That's an interesting article, Trish. I know I do best with few carbs. I don't know if that means I eat high protein or not, because I always include veggies.

Hope you're feeling better, soon.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

p.a. I'm not sure which medication you are taking, but the diabetic ones I cannot take because of the yeast infection tendency. My DH takes one of them and it helps him a lot. My sister took one for a while with no problem. I think as long as your doctor is keeping an eye on everything maybe you won't have any problems. I hope you find a way to slow down your eye problems.

chipper Your story of the candy in the freezer made me think of years ago when I was in Overeater's Anonymous, my kids were young. I would buy them oatmeal cookies from Little Debbies for their lunches/snacks. I loved those things, but decided that I would put them in the freezer so I would not eat them. Plus I smoked so I would not eat. Oh the games we play with ourselves. I learned that those little Debbie treats tested so good dunked in my coffee and I could hold a cigarette I one hand and one in the other. I finally had to learn to not bring them on my property at all. My oldest told me recently that he knew that the can of Charlie Chips I bought for their lunches were not always Charlie Chips. He and his brother used to argue about it. I told him that he was right. I would pig out on the chips and then run down to the store and purchase a bag of chips that looked almost like the original CC and pour it into the can to replace the ones I ate. He said that he knew it, but my youngest wouldn't believe it.

Carol Sue Where are you doing your food log. Glad you have found one you like and counting calories.

I think we all probably have those stories. I might add that the only reason we didn't fall for the candy sale after Halloween is that #1 we were sick and #2 Walmart where we shop were really smart this year. They didn't have any to sale because Halloween night they gave candy to as many kids who came to the store dressed in their costumes between certain hours.

I'm sorry I've been MIA so long. The amazing thing is that my sister and her hubby and DH and I have had a virus for days. We would almost get over it and it would hit us again. However, I believe I have figured out what has been causing my potty problems even when I didn't have the virus.

Discussing how my bs works with my sister, I found out our blood sugar readings puzzles her doctor the same as it does my new doctor. They don't know how we can have higher FBS readings, but have lower A!C that we get. So I decided to check into the Insulin Resistant book I bought years ago called The Carb Lovers Diet. I didn't learn anything new really as we have always known that fiber makes you feel full and it also is not digested, but passes through our bodies.

I realized this is what is happening to me. I decided research the possibility of eating too much fiber and what the Side Effects of too much Fiber would be. When we get past 50 yrs of age, we women do not need more than 21 g of fiber. I think it said that men are not supposed to eat more than 30 g.

My problem is TOO MUCH FIBER!!! I've spent this time while sick trying to decide what I am going to eat since everything was making me sick. The good thing at this point is I've lost 10 lbs while being sick.

Everybody was wondering what we could eat that would not upset our stomachs and send us running to the potty. I remembered Mama feeding us scrambled eggs when we were sick and could finally eat again. She eased us back into eating. Then I thought of eating crackers to calm the nausea and my sister didn't have crackers so they thought of dry toast.

I ate scrambled eggs one morning and had no problems that day and was starting to feel better. Later that night I ate saltine crackers when DH wanted something to eat and at this point we were afraid to eat anything. I ate a few crackers which did seem to calm the nausea, but later sent me running to the potty. I even tried the dry toast (the only bread I have in the house if high fiber) and it sent me running to the potty. No mistaking it, at this point it is evident that I just cannot eat fiber of any kind right now. Then I read the article that I shared early this morning.

I had decided that since I've lost 10 lbs (I am aware some of this could come back) and my body feels so much lighter, that I will take advantage of it and go VLC for a while to give my body time to heal. I had scrambled eggs this morning. I am not eating high fat although, I'm not really planning on going on lowfat at this time. I just have never bought into the HFLC way of eating.

When I told my sister what I had learned, she told me that when she lost all the weight she lost a while back that she did it eating meat and cheese. That was after she had Lap Band Surgery. She said that when she got off that she just couldn't get back on it again. I am hoping she and I can help each other get back on it together. According to what I heard Dr. Fung said on one of his videos, this is where he got the idea of IF was when he saw the results of those who had the Weight Loss Surgery. Therefore I believe this should work to not only help us lose weight, but it will help get our blood sugar under control.

Sorry this is so long. I'll try to be here more often so I'm not so long winded.

Have a nice day/
Old 11-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #44  

Trish, I think I am allowed to say the name of my online food log. I use Fitday. It is free, but you have to sign up, like the one you have mentioned. I've used that one off and on for years. I like it because I'm used to it, and it give you the breakdown of fat, how much is saturated, polyunsaturated and mono. You can do a lot more with it than I use it for, like figuring out your macros, and other nutrients. Tracking weight, and some others. You can get really involved with it.

I have read a lot about what the two different types of fiber do but can't think of it right now. I should keep track of what I read a little better than I do, because mostly I can't remember where I read things. I don't think I get enough fiber unless I am eating more veggies. I don't want to go into detail here because it's TMI, but I don't think fiber causes the kind of potty issues we have had in the past. It makes it easier to go, but not urgent, if you know what I mean. Actually, I think fiber is supposed to be helpful to prevent those types of problems. People with certain medical conditions should avoid excessive fiber, while it helps with other medical conditions. When I think of fiber I think of Dr Fuhrman and his discussion about carrots. I think I am part rabbit as I am somewhat addicted to carrots. LOL I need to read through his book again because it tells all about the benefits of each veggie.

And Trish, you know all about me and scrambled eggs. LOL
Old 11-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #45  

Trish, I just read another article about fiber that says that too much fiber too fast CAN cause diarrhea, so my comment above was wrong. Sorry.

Viscous fibers are found exclusively in plant foods.

Rich sources include beans (legumes), flax seeds, asparagus, brussels sprouts and oats, to name a few.

If you’re planning to switch to a high-fiber diet, remember to do it gradually to give your body time to adjust.

Abdominal discomfort, cramps and even diarrhea are common side effects if you ramp up your fiber intake too quickly.
Closed Thread