Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #436  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, a quick check in.

1BlueRose68 I agree with Carol Sue that your blurred vision might or might not be due to diabetes. I wore glass when I was in my teens. Then I went for several years when I didn't have to wear them and then years later when I was going to a diet doctor and lost lots of weight, I suddenly needed to wear glasses again. I was not diabetic either of those times. It would be good to check it out with your doctor.

I don't think I've been here this week. We have been working like crazy getting the house ready to move. We had the man from our church come to see about painting the deck and small would porch for us. When I told him we were selling our house and moving, he said his son and his wife are looking for a place to buy. They are trying to decide if they want to build a house of buy one already built. So DH and I had to get ourselves busy and get everything ready so he could see it when he came by Friday morning to give us an estimate on the paint job. DH took him through the house and he liked the house and the neighborhood and felt it would be good for his son. They have a 4 yr old son and this would be closer to their church for when the little boy starts getting active in the church activities. We haven't heard from him. But I didn't really expect to because of his sons job with a cable company. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to see the house tomorrow.

We had another call from a man in our church. Our pastor had told him we were selling out house, but he and his wife didn't want to move February and the house is too big for them too.

If the painters son doesn't take the house then we will call a realtor to sell our house. I read online about selling yourself and I decided that I don't want to sell it myself. I don't know all the ins and outs and I would feel more secure with a realtor.

We got our shingles shots Monday and everything went well until Tuesday afternoon then my arm started itching like crazy and I had a round red rash around the injection. Lasted maybe around 36 hours give or take, but like I told my sister that was still better than having to go through the pain I went through when I had the shingles. She is getting her shot next week when she goes to the doctor. She just go over the shingles this past week. She had a mild case but was painful enough she doesn't want to go through it again either.

Well, I'm back on MFP counting calories. Otherwise, I'm gaining because things are so crazy and I have gained back some of the weight I lost. I will say one thing DH and I did learn from our evening of having to work so hard to get the house ready for the next day and that is our problem with diabetes is being too sedentary. We worked so hard and we're still sore from all that lifting, twisting, etc, but his FBS was 111 and mine was 149. So if we were more active and ate less, we just might not have a bs problem. I find that so interesting.

Well, I need to get some laundry done. Now that we have the house clean enough to show, I just have to work to keep it that way. I'll check back when I can. If all goes well, I will be moving this time next month.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #437  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good to hear from you, Trish. I know you're busy getting ready to move. It's exciting, but a lot of work. I hope you sell your house easily. I know the realtor takes a percentage of the sale price, but it's well worth it unless you are able to find a buying that you know, such as the son of the painter. Then you just need a real estate attorney. The realtor has ways of advertising the house and getting more prospective buyers. And they handle all the little ins and outs of it.

I know that being physically active is very important for a diabetic, but you know, I just can't get myself moving! I keep saying "tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes. That's one thing about DH, even though he eats tons of carbs he is very physically active all day. Hopefully those carbs won't come back to bite him, because he would not do well at all as a diabetic.

Yesterday I was reading a lot online and most of what I was reading was indicating how hopeless it is to ever think of having a significant weight loss. It said that once you lose 10% of your weight, your body really starts to fight it, and if you are able to lose more, the chances of keeping it off are slim. That is very depressing, but from everything I see, it's true. I only know a few people who have had significant weight loss, and they are really struggling to maintain. Most have done this a couple times before, but gained it all back eventually. I read a lot of weight loss forums, and everyone is struggling. So many people are staying on plan 100% but are still stuck and not losing. They are trying one thing after the other to trick their body to release some more fat, but it's just a vicious cycle. I am starting to believe that's why the things that worked for us before just don't work now. On DR Fung's Blog, I read that the only thing that really works is fasting, and he's not talking about IF. He's talking about fasts of 4-5 days, or longer. I had to do that when I was in the hospital, but that was medically supervised, and I can't imagine doing that now. I had no choice. I was lying in that bed and no one was bringing me any food. LOL

On top of that, it said that the only way diabetes can be "reversed" is if the weight is lost. But if that's a hopeless cause, then what? I think I was a lot better off before I started reading this stuff.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #438  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Good morning everyone Sorry I have been MIA. Things are crazy over here. I wanted to pop in though and say hello!

Have a great day!!!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #439  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Broccoli and to the thread. I hope that you return

Carol Sue and p.a. I think that is what is happening to me (carb tiredness). I'm always tired. I'm gonna have to eat TOTALLY ON POINT to see if I notice a difference in my tiredness.

BlueRose, that is one of the symptoms that I have. Sweet tea instantly does that to me. I have not drank pre-made sweet tea in a long while. Please have your glucose checked.

Trish and Carol Sue, I know losing the weight helps with my bs levels but it didn't show any signs of reversing the disease. My low was 152.8.

Trish I pray you sell your house with ease and you get full value for it.

Carol Sue, it sounds like the articles you were reading were straight to the point about weight loss. However I believe that what worked for me before can work again IF I would do it. I have not given my complete all to pre-planning/preparing my meals and I certainly have not made an effort to walk 3 miles 6 days a week. Diet alone for me will never work and like you said with (get moving) I say tomorrow and tomorrow may come but it will only last a day or two. SO the cycle continues.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #440  

Well, today I am back to believing that I CAN lose weight, but how much, I'm not sure. I lost 10% of my weight back in 2008 when I had my heart surgery. I went from 217 - 197 and maintained that since, relatively. I never gained it all back, and never went above 203, so I consider it to be maintained. I think by maintaining that loss for 8 years, I could probably consider that to be my new set point, and could possibly lose another 10%. I am starting to lose again since I began intermittent fasting and cutting out snacks. I think I will continue to lose as long as I don't lose my momentum on this. I do not have any set schedule or eating window. I am just extending the time between eating. Letting myself feel a bit of hunger, and letting my blood sugar and insulin levels come down between eating. I am leaning toward low carb, but not going to extremes. Today DH was eating potato chips. I ate one without any guilt. But that is compared to eating a bowlful, or a bagful. You and I both know I could fall off this wagon in a nano-second, but each day I stick with it is one more day in the right direction. My incentive is, my best friend is losing, 10 lbs so far, and I don't want her to leave me in the dust, plus, I want to make DH eat his little comments he makes now and then.

I remember one time Trish's doctor told her that any diet will work, if you do it, and I agree with that. I know there are some people who believe that their way is the only way, but that's because their way was the only way that worked for them. I also feel if it isn't something you can follow for life you will not be able to maintain. And I feel that it should not be so rigid. Eating something that is off plan once in a while isn't going to be the end of the world. But only you can determine how often you can eat "off plan" and still lose/maintain. And you have to be honest with yourself about it. All along I insisted that I was eating healthy and there was no reason for me not to be losing, but now I see that there was a reason. The little snacks here and there, even though they were low carb, were adding up, and keeping my insulin levels up. I pray that I can continue this.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #441  

Just popping in,,,,I've been busy with unexpectedly selling my old house in my hometown. It has been sitting empty since dh and I moved away 7 years ago and out of the blue someone put an offer on it. I sign papers fri and then head there for 12 days to clean it out. Closing date is Aug 5th,,,it's a mixed blessing. I'll be relieved to not have to worry about it and yet there is so many memories tied to it.
Weight is coming down, counting carbs again. Trying to walk more but not possible when it's over 90 degrees.
Will check in as I can
Old 07-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #442  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Carol Sue I love your post above, so positive and enlightening ... thank you and I wish you all the best

p.a. I'm sure that has to be a lot on your mind with your former home. I hope your it gives your some peace
Old 07-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #443  

I have been sticking to low carb a few days now and my blood sugar is so good it feels like my meter is broken. 105-110 during the day, even 2 hours after dinner, and 125 this morning. Fasting is always higher for me. I have not been taking my Amaryl with numbers like this, but still taking Metformin. This proves to me that my diabetes has not progressed to worse, and is fine if I just stay away from those ding-dong carbs!! (no pun intended. I never did like Ding Dongs. LOL) I am still eating vegetables, just no starchy carbs, and no between meal snacking. Lots of coffee. I don't know if that's good or bad, but keeps something in my stomach and keeps me away from snacks. When I think of snacking, I think about my good blood sugar without it.

I plan on starting back on my exercise tomorrow. I hope I can stick to it and get back in the habit. Today we are going to an amusement park and there will be lots of walking. We'll see how that goes.

p.a. Yay on selling the old home front. I agree that it can be bittersweet, but a load off your mind and some extra $$$ in your pocket. I know cleaning it out will be a chore. Good luck with that.

Wonder how Trish is doing with her house sale.

Rennie, I like when I am feeling upbeat about things. It just gets discouraging when they don't go the way I think they should be going. Like when I stay on plan for several days and the scale still doesn't move. That's when I'm supposed to just keep hanging in there and wait for a whoosh, but instead I tend to give up and that causes a setback.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #444  

A quick flyby. I wrote a long post Saturday I think it was and lost the whole thing. I was just too tired to re-write it.

We are getting close. I took bleach water and mopped my tile floors and they look almost new. Still have to clean out pantry, a few closets etc. The painter hopes to be here Thursday or Friday and the carpet people might be here tomorrow, but if not he will be here next Wednesday to stretch and clean the carpet. The realtor will be here Friday afternoon. Timing depends on the painters and carpet cleaner. If they get it done this week then the house will go on the market this weekend or Monday. If everything won't be finished until next Wednesday, then the house will be on the market the next weekend.

If I wasn't so tired with all I'm doing, I would actually be excited.

I'm back to low carbing and counting calories. I bought a book called The Carb Sensitive Program by a Natasha Turner. She says you don't have to give up all carbs. She recommends a ratio of 35g carbs, 35 protein, and 30g fat of whatever your calories. She has different stages 6 if I remember rightly. Basic allowed foods come from protein, low carb fruits and veggies. I haven't time to check it too much, but she has you try higher carbs in stages. One week of starches then you answer a set of questions of how you felt after eating those carbs, it no problem then, try grains for one week and answer the questions at the end of that week, then beans for a week and the dairy. This is done to learn which type of carbs you are sensitive too. I really don't have time to do this at this time, but I will be doing it when I move and get settled. I do notice that some carbs makes me lethargic. It will be nice to learn which one is the culprit. I have also checked into a FB group who use different low carb diets with IF. I like the JUDDD diet. So I have decided to continue using MFP with her ratios with my calories between 1100 and 1600 until then. JUDDD Diet website says my low days should be 1111 and my high days should be a little over 2400. I won't do 2400 very often. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Carol Sue It sounds like you have found what works for you. Don't change it.

I think of all of you guys and will get back from time to time when I can. Y'all have a great week.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #445  

Trish, I think the ratio of carbs is different for everyone. It depends on how carb sensitive you are, and also how insulin resistant. Each should vary carbs to see how many works for them. I know I can have very few, whereas I used to be able to have small portions of starchy carbs. I am starting to not miss them. We went to a picnic on Sunday. I took a plain hamburger patty with lettuce and tomato, and some chicken. I passed right by the potato salad, mac and cheese and baked beans like they weren't there. Very easy for me to do now. And the best part is that no one commented that I wasn't eating them.

And yesterday I put DH's leftover rice a roni right down the garbage disposal. LOL Yay for me!! I have the best fed garbage disposal in town.

I didn't eat my egg at bedtime last night and my fasting blood sugar was up about 40 points. So it makes a difference. I tried different snacks and the egg was what worked. It doesn't really add a lot of calories to my diet, and I can always allow for them to be included in my total. Cut back from another meal. When I eat the egg my fasting blood sugar is almost the same as my bedtime blood sugar. I am still taking the same amount of met at bedtime. I love knowing how my body works with all this instead of stabbing in the dark. I feel more in control.

No drastic weight loss, still. I went down a few when I first started this but I think I have gotten too sure of myself and added more calories without realizing it. I know people say you don't have to count calories when eating low carb, but I read of someone who counts both carbs and calories and lost a lot of weight and has maintained longer than those who only count carbs. And she didn't do high fat, either. She just did it her way and didn't listen to those who say you have to eat this or that. The proof is in the pudding...sugar free, that is. LOL So that proves to me that not everyone's body responds in the same way and I am OK doing it my way. Low carb, low calorie, low fat. This is working for my blood sugar and blood pressure and I believe that weight loss is not far behind.

DH has really lost weight. I can see it. He never mentions it, but sometimes I notice that he is leaving more food on his plate. Also, it's been so hot and humid here and he works so hard and really sweats it off. Good for him. I could never keep quiet about it if I lost. I think he doesn't mention it because he would never admit that he had gained. LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-26-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #446  

Today I made lasagne for dinner. It was so good. I wanted more after I finished, but after a while I felt full enough without more. They say it takes time for your brain to register saciety. First carbs I've had in a while. I test 2 hours after and was at 181. Not bad for a two hour reading. I took 1MG of Glimiperide and will check again in 2 hours to see if that was enough. I think I get a worse reading after eating spaghetti because that's all pasta. Lasagne has a lot of meat and cheese and not as much pasta, and they say that protein and fat offsets the effects of carbs. I make lasagne about once a month, so that's not bad once in a while IMO. The only other thing I had today was steamed cabbage, kale and onion I had for lunch. I love that combination. As much as I am an egg lover, I am going to forgo my morning eggs since I will be having an egg at bedtime to help with fasting blood sugar. If that doesn't continue to help I will stop it.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #447  

Hmmm, no one here for a few days.

How is the moving prep going, Trish? One day last week I accidentally picked up my bottle of bleach cleaner that I use in the bathroom and the cap came off. I spilled it all over the tile in the bathroom. I panicked and grabbed the throw rug right away so it wouldn't get ruined, then I threw an old towel over the cleaner that was running all over the floor. I thought it was going to ruin the floor but it didn't. I usually just use that cleaner to clean the tile around the tub. But now the floor got a good cleaning. LOL

My blood sugar continues to be good, except for the day DH baked a frozen pizza and I indulged. I know better. Otherwise, I have been doing Atkins Induction type eating for a few days, trying to jump start my weight loss. I'm just getting so tired of seeing the same number on the scale. Something's gotta give. I don't really believe in Atkins Induction completely, so this is out of character for me, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I don't expect to be doing this long term. If and when I start to see a loss I will be adding back more veggies than just green salad. I miss my veggies. If this doesn't help, I just don't know what else to do.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #448  

Another quick flyby. Can't remember what I shared last mainly because I lost one post I wrote.

Things are moving along. DH and I have been cleaning and packed up a few boxes to get things off the cabinets and what I call making the house more model like as we make it look less like ours. So I guess we depersonalizing the house. Realtor says people want to come in and walk through the house thinking "I could do this and I could do that in that spot" to make it theirs. They must see it as how they could make it look the way they want it. My kitchen countertop is so big that it feels like it needs something. I guess that will make them think of what they could put on it. I don't care as long as it sells as quick as everyone has told me it would.

We didn't go to church this morning. We were just so worn out trying to get things ready for the Realtor to come out and take some more pics and I assume approve our improvements. She comes tomorrow at 1:30 and then the carpet cleaner Wednesday morning. I've decided not to go to the last Bible study on Thursday morning in case someone wants to see it that day. I go for a perm on Thursday afternoon at 3 so DH can be up to hear the phone ring if someone wants to come see the house.

We have to clean out the refrigerator and freezer and make it look nicer since we are leaving both. Then I think we are at the place of just keep it clean and ready to show at a moments notice. I am going to be checking out moving companies to see who is best for the best price. They warn not to use the cheapest company as there are scammers out there who are not reliable.

Weight is coming down. I am down to 222.8 this morning. The problem with that is I am just grabbing what is quick so not necessarily healthy. I did get my eye exam yesterday and the good thing is that with the new tests they can see if there is any damages to organs from the diabetes. Not sue how that works but with the new technology they can do so much. I have no retinopathy. I think that is what it is called. My eyesight had not changed much although I do have cataracts, but not bad enough to have surgery for a while. He said the day you cannot pass a DMV test, you will need surgery. I told him that a doctor had told me 13 yrs ago that if I took Bilberry and wore the sunglasses that cover the side of the glasses that I might never have cataracts which I have done faithfully since then. He said that everybody gets cataracts as they get older, but for me to continue the regiment because it was slowing down the process. I wear bifocals because I need the lower lens for reading glasses and top lens for driving. I can't remember which one he said didn't need any change. I think my reading tests showed I needed to be changed but my farsighted lens didn't need to be changed but he said that he could still make it sharper.

I am thankful for the eye test. I didn't know they could see all that now. DH needs cataract surgery when we get to TX and I would love for the doc who did my Daddy's to do his. This doc I saw told me that the cataract surgery they do now is even better than when my Daddy had his. I know my son doesn't have to wear glasses at all.

Well I've bored y'all enough and I need to get busy. I've got to go unplug the freezer so it will get warm enough that I can wipe the some spots in it and rearrange things so it looks nicer. I'll work on the fridge after lunch.

Y'all have a great day and I will be back when I can. Maybe when I get things done with getting this ready for show, I can check in more often.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #449  

I am down 2 more pounds this morning. Guess what? Diets DO work if you stick with them. LOL I realize that this is the whoosh you get when you first start sticking to a diet, but a loss is a loss and I will take it.

I am so overdue for an eye exam, Trish, but I keep putting it off. Lately I have been making myself do the things I've been putting off, so I hope to get the eye exam before winter sets in. I was told previously that I had a cataract starting but it's not ready to be removed. I still feel that I can see OK, but after my BIL got his done he was amazed at how he could see, so it seems that his sight was getting worse and worse but he didn't realize it. He always used to go home before dark on holidays, saying that he can't see to drive at night, so the cararacts might have been why.

You're making good progress Trish, with your weight and the house.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #450  

I didn't get weighed this morning so I don't know if I lost or gained. My blood sugar was stellar, though. I took no Amaryl today. Yay! When I got up my blood sugar was 124 so I didn't take any because I was afraid it would drop too low. I had a hard boiled egg for breakfast, and a chicken leg for lunch. Before we went out for dinner, it was 97. Me....having a double digit blood sugar!! I had a grilled chicken and vegetable salad. They grill the chicken, mushrooms, and zucchini in some type of balsamic dressing, then put it still warm in the bed of greens. It is so tasty! It also has shredded carrots, onions, and sunflower seeds in it. I don't even need dressing with it. I am assuming they will quit having it after summer is over so I've been ordering it every time we go there. Anyway, two hours after dinner my blood sugar was 112. It went up 15 points from my dinner. WTH? I can't believe I am accomplishing this. I am so afraid I will wake up and find it's a dream. You all know how I have struggled. I looked back on my meter and it was July 27 when I had a reading of 335. On that day I said "This is it!! No more!!" So this change only took 7 days of low carb eating to accomplish. So far I have not missed carbs. DH has a package of Pringles here and I have eyed them a couple times, but then I remember I want to keep blood sugar down and I walk away. Today he bought popsicles. They are not sugar free so I think I need to stay away from them. I'm taking this one day at a time.
Closed Thread