Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #301  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Two days on Metformin and so far so good. I think it is curbing my appetite. I am eating more mini snacks, but only when really hungry. I worked on my closet yesterday. I am giving away a lot of the small clothes that I can't wear. I will just buy what I want as I lose weight. That will be like a reward or treat for losing. Those clothes were so old and out dated, but still good and I don't want to pay to move them and put in storage and I decided someone who needs them can get good wear out of them. Still have to get everything out of there and then put back in nice and neat for showing the house. I ended up with 2 larger boxes and 2 small ones packed that DH will have to work on putting somewhere in the garage.

I've started bagging up some books to give away. I'm giving up diet books that I don't and won't use, but keeping my books on diabetes and low carbing. Some of the low carb books, I'm keeping for recipes that are in them. Also throwing out old recipes that I printed out over the years that I never used and probably never will especially those that are not low carb.

My FBS was 120 this morning. I only did 4 and 3/4 miles on bike. I actually forgot to go back and do the last 2 miles and the only reason I tried to do it was that my back was hurting from all the bending and twisting and using the recumbent bike eases the pain, but had to stop short of the 2 miles because I started sweating and felt faint and dizzy. I stopped and checked my bs and it had dropped to 79 from all the work and exercise. I'm glad it is dropping, but I will have to be more careful. I slept like a log.

Well, I need to get busy. DH is up and he has gone out to work on the house. I think he is going to start pressure cleaning the house, drive and side walk. He was going to pay someone to do it, but the guy who came by Saturday while he was mowing wanted $500.00 to do it so DH decided he would do it instead. He has the pressure cleaner to do it. It will probably take him a couple of days to do it. I'm going to go work on my closet while he is working out there.

I'm not sure how fast we can get everything done to sale the house, but I am shooting for the 5th of June or sometime that week.

Y'all have a nice Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #302  

Good fou you on the exercise Trish!!
Enjoy your weekend everyone. It's going to be a scorcher here
Old 05-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #303  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

This morning we went out to eat at a breakfast buffet. I really don't like to do that because I end up eating too much and hate to start the day out like that. When we were coming home I told DH I won't be hungry again until bedtime. He laughed at me, so I felt that I had to stick to my guns and not give in and eat. He made himself a hot dog and some fried potatoes at dinner time but I didn't eat. I was still not really hungry. Later on I got hungry and cooked some vegetables for myself. They satisfied the hunger without really filling me up. I wish I could eat like that every day because I only ate when I was hungry. My blood sugar was way down. Tomorrow we will be having a little picnic for just us. Potato salad, hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, corn on the cob. I will try to just eat a small portion of each and not eat much else for the day. I didn't buy any buns, so if DH wants them, we will have to get them tomorrow. As long as I don't end up having a really big meal I should be able to stick with this lower calorie eating.

p.a. it's been really hot here the past few days, too. Hot for May. I noticed this morning around 10:30 it was already 87 degrees. I don't expect it to last. I prefer the 70s. That way it's comfortable and we don't have to run the air conditioning. I don't know what we did before we had air conditioning.

Trish, it sounds like you're coming right along getting the house ready for sale. It's good that you aren't in a big hurry to move in case it doesn't sell right away, but this is the best time of year for selling a house.

Hi to everyone else...Mad, Fickle, Watercolor, Donna. Hope everyone in US has a nice holiday. p.a. and Mad, I just googled and saw that you have Memorial Day in Canady on July 1, close to our Independence Day. The things you learn!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-29-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #304  

I've been on Metformin again for about 4 days. While I've had loose bowel issues, I've had no diarrhea. Close, but not unbearable problems. Today on my FB CAD support group, I may have found the problem. May not be milk or the Metformin.

A lady wrote a post asking what she called a strange question, but I think it was what I needed. She mentioned that since she has been on CAD and eating so many raw veggies that she has been experiencing diarrhea and wondered if they were the cause. Suddenly people were posting that they had the same problem especially with the raw veggie. It was finally brought out that if you were adding so many veggies so quickly that you hadn't been eating before that you were adding too much fiber too quickly. I'm hoping that is what the problem has been for me.

In fact, I have noticed that the times I do not eat a salad that I didn't have any problems at all. I had thought when I had the problems even for a few days after getting off the Metformin that it was just because the Metformin was still in my system, but now I realize the fact that I was eating a huge salad was probably the reason. When the issues would go away, I either was not eating a lot of veggies or none at all. When I had the issues at the restaurant when my sister and I had the country fried steak, I had also had a nice big salad and vegetables with it for the 1st time in about a week.

I will be experimenting the next few days to find out if that was the problem or not. We are having hot dogs tomorrow so I won't be eating a salad at all. I will try drinking milk tomorrow to see how it affects me. I sure hope I can go back to drinking my milk. I tell you the substitutes are okay but just do not taste like the real thing.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #305  

I hope you get it figured out Trish. It's a terrible situation. I get issues from time to time but I don't eat the same things from day to day so can't blame it on any one thing. I eat a lot of vegetables, but always cooked. Salad is the only thing I eat raw, but I only eat salad about once a week.

I had a couple sweet potatoes left and wanted to use them up before they went bad. I cut them up and made sweet potato fries in the oven. I had never had them before. They were so delicious! The only thing wrong is I didn't have the oven hot enough and they didin't get crispy. I mixed together 2 Tbs oil, 2 Tbs paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cumin. I put the potatoes in the mixture to coat and placed them on a baking sheet. The recipe said 25-30 min at 450, but I only put it at 400. I think they cooked in the middle before actually getting crispy. But they tasted so good, sweet and savory without any sugar, just the natural sweetness of the sweet potato. That recipe is a keeper!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-30-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #306  

I had a glass of regular 2% milk at my RM today and since we had hot dogs, I didn't have a lot of veggies. I plan to have my veggies with protein at my
cm meal in a bit. I'll have a zucchinie/yellow squash noodle stir fry for dinner. I took my Metformin and have taken it almost a week. No diarrhea today. I think the huge servings of veggies must have been the culprit. YAY!!! Looks like I can have the Metformin and the milk plus I had 2 eggs and 2 slices of bacon for breakfast. This is really great.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #307  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi gang, have been busy with work. Not quite sticking to plan, and weight is up a bit. still under 180 and a bit up and down.
Trish, I still occasionally get diarrhea with the metformin, seems to be dependent on taking it with the meal that has wheat. I can have both wheat and metformin, but not take it during or just after the meal. Also, don't increase the dose until you are comfortable with the dose you are on.
Going to start tracking more carefully again and get back to weight loss.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #308  

Madeleine Good to hear from you. I hear you on struggling to stay OP and on the diarrhea. I thought I was going to have diarrhea again this morning but it wasn't. If things stay as they are then I will have no problem taking the Metformin. It never hurts to have a good movement. I always say that you can't lose weight if you don't. So far all is good. I'm glad you were able to maintain being under 180. I think I need to change my ticker as my weight has come back up some since I got over the bug I had.

I am going to be cutting my carbs back some on my RM. It was easier to get back OP with having more of them, but it is time to settle it back down. Also, I will get back to my regular 45 to 50 minute bike exercises. I want to keep that up since I notice that my FBS jumps back up to the 160s when I don't. I didn't exercise but 2 miles in the last 3 days and FBS was 165 this morning.

I am so glad DH is beginning to get interested in fixing things up on the house to sell it. With the work that needs to be done and all the rain in going on in TX holding up them starting to build the new house, he has decided that we need to get those things fixed and put the house on the market the end of June. I'm waiting to see if they are going to waive the money they usually want to get started or not. We are using the money from this house to pay for that house and were told that the contractor sometimes waives it for people who are going to pay cash for the house. We will get a small home improvement loan to fix this house plus the money to start the house if needed. I learned the weekend that all the information has gone to his daughter and we should hear from her sometime this week on everything.

She takes what we want and designs and prices everything and then works with us to finalize everything with us and then schedules everything to get it going. Since the rain is holding up building, it gives her time to get all that done and gives us a little more time here as well. I am definitely learning patients through this endeavor. LOL

Hope everyone is has a good week after our Memorial Day eating. Here's to a great week.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #309  

Just wanted to say hi. I have a lot of running around to do today.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #310  

Carol Sue My running around with things to do is usually on Wednesday, but I have a Lab apt in the morning, hair apt has been moved to Thurs as soon as I can get to the beauty salon after that and when DH gets up he has Lab apt and we will do our running around after. So our busy day is going to be tomorrow.

Well hello June and good bye May. I just brought my ticker up to date and changed me log sheet for the month where I keep a daily weight, bs and bp track. DH made it up years ago for his 1st wife to keep daily track of her bs. I took it and changed it to fit my tracking since I don't take insulin and have to track bs all day.

The good thing I see by that is how I did for the month overall. My FBS is 14 pts higher than on May 1, but my weight is actually down 7 lbs for the month. My bp has settled in a consistently good steady range. So I know that my diet plan is good and I just need to make it my lifestyle because when I am more consistent with the exercise and CAD, I notice my numbers are better on those days.

My Daddy is in the hospital. He was at the doctor's office for an apt and his bp was too high so he sent him to the ER for tests etc. Not sure what all they are looking for, except last night when I finally got to talk to my sister who lives there he was admitted and had an IV with meds for his Atrial fib. They said that wanted to be sure he doesn't have a clot in the heart, but I never could figure out why they hadn't done the echo as of about 6pm when I talked to her and they said that it may have to be done today. I didn't want to alarm my sister, but excuse me? If it was serious enough to put him in the hospital to check for it then why wasn't that done sooner. I don't always understand the medical field. The main thing I want them to do is get his bp regul

I've shared with y'all that my Daddy turns 93 the end of June, but he does not look it at all. She told me that the hospital doctor thought he was a 68 yr old man. The nurse came into the room to check on him and said that she had to go back and look at his chart because she thought she was in the wrong room because he didn't look like a 93 yr old man. Oh I hope I inherited his genes. LOL.

Have a good day. I'll catch y'all day after tomorrow.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-01-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #311  

I have a plan for today and I'm sticking to it....it's so hard to slip once I go down that path. I'm heading out for a walk in an hour and bringing a little lunch with me to eat by the water. That always makes me feel better. Feeling like I'm in a slump these days and not sure why.
Trish I'll be thinking of you dad...
Mad good to see you again.
Hi Carol.bye Carol! Lol
Old 06-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #312  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

just wanted to say hello and a little about me. i see some from when i was here years back. i was DX 6/06. so in just 15 days will be 10 years. yes, i remember the day. in these 10 yrs i have lost 121 lbs. as of nov 13. since than i have gained back 60. A1C has gone from 5.3 to 5.9/5.8, still ok, but, getting back up there. my insurance wanted me to see an endro again. he has put me on metformin, januvia, tanzeum. before i was on metformin changed to victoza. than came off meds in 2012. don't know why he put me back on let alone 3. he also wants me to show a significant weight loss when i see him in 3 months. in the last 8 months or so i also found out i have a binge eating disorder. so to be on a "diet" is my worst fear. takes me to the "diet" thinking again. he wants me carb counting, basic way. i am trying to find my way back and get this back off. i didn't go through skin removal surgery and pain for nothing. been back at the gym and started running again, after some health issues.
hello
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #313  

chipper Welcome back. I don't think I was here back when you were. Good luck on your journey.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #314  

Chipper, congratulations on the great weight loss! Even though you have gained some back, you still should be proud of your success. It's good that you have recognized the need to get back on the wagon before you regain more. As far as your binge eating disorder, I believe most overweight people have some type of eating disorder. For the most part, if we ate when we are hungry and stopped when satisfied, we would probably not have this problem. I say most, because there are some medical issues that can cause weight gain. Stick around. I'd like to hear how you lost so much!

Trish, I hope your Dad is OK. From my own experience with hospital stays, they never seem to consider our issues as much as an emergency as we do. I think that's because they see sickness day in and day out. Hopefully your Dad will not suffer from waiting one more day for his echo. One time I was hospitalized in the cardiac wing because of shortness of breath. They kept me for 5 days, running tests, and all they came up with was changing my BP meds. I missed 5 days of work because of this. I think when you have good insurance that pays well, they look for ways to keep you there longer.If he didn't have insurance, he would probably have been sent home.

I had my cardiologist appointment yesterday, and I'm glad I insisted in seeing the cardiologist instead of the PA. I discussed my BP with him because I am very concerned that my systolic number is 150 and my diastolic is 60. When it does go down into the 140s, the bottom number goes into the 50s, which scares me. He stated over and over that he is not worried and that it is not a problem. I have confidence in him and so I now believe him. He still wants me to get the systolic down more and said that he's confident that the diastolic will not go down to a dangerous level. He said that my medication is purposely lowering the diastolic and that it is better for the heart. I read online that below 55 puts you at higher risk for stroke and heart attack, but he does not feel that it will go that low. He stressed exercise, exercise, exercise and we agreed that losing 20 lbs would help tremendously. I guess I have to really review my eating and see just exactly where I'm going wrong. Apparently calories are sneaking in and I'm not accounting for them. And I know my exercise has been lacking. I am going for a stress test on Wednesday only because I haven't had one since 2011. I feel good so I don't expect them to find a problem. I hope I'm right.

p.a. your walk and little lunch by the water sounds so nice and relaxing. We do have to be diligent about every bite we take to stay in control. It's so easy to get out of sync. You can do this. I hope you cheer up!

Mad, I think I would do much better if I was better at tracking. There was one period of time a few years back when I tracked diligently, and at that time my weight and lab work were at their best ever. It works, but only if you do it, and do it correctly. I need to find a better system that I will stick to.

I have recently found that if I'm busy I don't think to eat until I really get hungry.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #315  

I don't know why I've never thought of this before. WW Simply Filling Foods, the old Core Plan. My problem with WW or any diet is having to count calories. But WW WF, really is more of a LF lower carb way of eating or could be. I still get some fruit, protein/meat and veggies. As for starches, the rule on those falls into the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet plan easily because they can only be eaten during CAD's RM.

Therefore I will kind of revise my own plan using WWSF plan. This will be soooo much easier for me.

Y'all have a super Sunday.
Closed Thread