Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I found one EFGT group on a lowcarb site that seems to being Dr. Barry's way of doing this which is more like Atkins. The other lowcarb site that I think you frequent has the EFGT group where the girl who started the EFGT thread follows Dr. Hymans plan. I think she is actually following one of his other books that has the same plan in it, but with a 10 day detox jump start. Like me she isn't able to purchase the organic, grass-fed products either, but she has lost very well doing it the way she does. Some suggest she do it more like Atkins woe, but she basically feels like and says what she is doing is working for her so if it isn't broken she isn't going to change it.

I did read somewhere that some of the people who use this way of eating do choose to eat some beans and grains. I think these 2 plans give me something to work with. I am kind of following the Atkins like part of the plan right now with the ratios I learned from the Dr. Barry site maybe for the 10 days that lady is doing with the Dr. Hyman plan. However, I do believe that I will begin to add a little bit of grain to my plan. Right now I just feel I need to get rid of the cravings for sweets that I was feeling on WW. Counting calories, I could still have some of it, but I find it is a trigger for me so I have to break it. Low carb helps me do that. But I will be adding a small amount of carbs later because I seem to need them for more energy.

As for that high of fat? I'm not worrying about reaching it. I don't think I will eat that much of it. I'm just trying to keep my ratios relatively close to it. I read somewhere of keeping it all moderately low carb, moderately high fat and the protein moderate. I am thankful to have a the guideline to use as I learn to do what works for my body.

My FBS is still up. I've been eating a scrambled egg at night a little bit before I go to bed. I've been taking the Metformin earlier in the evening in case what you read is true Carol Sue. So I'm wondering if the egg is a smart move. Sometime I need to add some calories to get to 1200 calories and I figure the egg scrambled in a pat of butter is better for the bs. If what you read is true, I need to allow my liver to get rid of the excess glucose. I've been searching to find out if that is true, but haven't found it yet. Maybe I should go back to doing IF with this and take the Metformin the way my doc told me in the beginning. He said take it with my largest meal which is lunch time for me. I might go back to doing that and see what happens. It worked great for me when he first diagnosed me. And I was doing Atkins and got my numbers down to normal within 6 months.

Have to go out today so we are planning to eat at Steak N Shake. I looked on MFP (love that site) and found I can get a guacamole burger no bun and a side salad which will come to 245 calories. So I plan to get that for lunch and I will still be low carb and it will fit my ratio. I agree with you Fickle that MFP is the best calorie site I've ever used. And like p.a. I like that it shows me how much sodium, calories, carb, fat and protein as well as fiber I'm eating each day. I also like the fact that the foods I eat the most stays on file so that all I have to do is check it and move on. So much easier that WW and others I have used.

Sorry folks. I guess I got long winded there.

Fickles You are doing great. Sending good vibes to you reaching your .6 lbs goal.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #32  

I went back to the low carb site where I got so much info on the Dr. Barry book. The lady who posted all the information from the book as a guideline is the one who said that Barry doesn't eat fruit or grains, but she say that it is up to the individual whether they eat it or not. She goes on to share that some people will have some bread, but it all has to be counted.

The way I understand this diet is similar to Atkins except you don't eat so much meat and you don't have to count calories, you just eat to satisfy hunger, However, if you choose to eat carbs then you have to count those. I think that is a good idea. Using MFP, I can allow it to keep up with all that for me.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #33  

Hey Carol. I should have said I was guessing those were the snacks Mad had mentioned. I love them like chips and I can't buy them because of the same reason as your dh,,,I would eat the whole bag.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Yep, it's Dietbet.com I'm doing. https://www.dietbet.com/games/79701/activity

I've used Paypal since it was first created because it was the easiest way to pay for Ebay auctions. I've never had an issue with it, but I can understand your hesitation. I think I recall them getting hacked a few years back.

I hem-hawed over trying Dietbet for six months and finally said, why not? I spend $35 on junk LOL, might as well see if I can get paid to lose weight with it. This is my first one. Depending on how this one works out, I'm not sure if I'll do another or not. It has helped keep me straight, but it's also a bit stressful.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Fickle, if it wasn't for the issue of Paypal, I would do DietBet in an instant! LOL I have wasted much more than $35 on so many things, and I think money is a great motivator. If I won't do it for money, what else is there? This might have been during the time Paypal got hacked. I didn't have to pay for what the people bought with my credit card and I'm not 100% sure that it happened through Paypal. The card company actually called me to inform me that it happened. Something about the transaction made them suspicious. They canceled my card and issues a new one. I am trying to think of something I want bad enough to lose weight for it, but unfortunately, I have everything I want, except a thin body. Apparently that's not enough incentive.

Trish, I remember you got sick the last time you tried upping your fat, so I'm thinking you won't be able to do it too high this time either. Here's something I think is funny. My step daughter got her cholesterol checked and it's high. I don't know how high. But the doctor asked her what she eats, and then told her to stop eating avocados. Of all things. Actually, my step daughter is thin and eats pretty healthy. But she will not eat avocados since that doctor told her that.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #36  

I can't believe it, but I found the article I was reading about the Dawn Phenomenon/liver dump. It's from Dr Fung. I hope I'm allowed to post this link. If you don't want to read the whole article, scroll down to where you see what looks like a cartoon drawing and read from there to the end of the article.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...nomenon-t2d-8/
Old 03-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #37  

Carol Sue Thanks for your concern. I know I have to be careful adding too much fat. I'm not raising my fat percentage extremely high. Personally, I think my body was telling me I can't do that or I don't need to do that. I like the fact that Dr. Hyman's plan stresses eat more vegetables and good fats. I do not like the idea of eating loads of fat. I also know that I do not do very well cutting my carbs down so low. I did cut the carbs back a lot, to break some cravings for sweets, however, I think I need to eat carbs in moderation. That is why I like tracking on MFP so that I can see how many grams of protein, carbs, fat, sodium and fiber as well as the amount of calories that I am using. I couldn't get that on WW.

I am thankful for what I learned on WW, because I can use that with my MFP. I don't want to go extreme with any nutrient.

We ended up going to a new hamburger place here in town because it was closer. I ended up eating 3/4 of a small cheeseburger and DH and I shared a small order of onion rings which we didn't finish. I'm pleased to say that I still stayed within my calories and the other numbers. Another good eating day.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #38  

Here is another reason not to overdo carbohydrates.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/...6581457615616/
Old 03-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #39  

Trish, you know how my DH is such a carboholic. He has to have potatoes, and lots of them, every day, plus he eats a lot of baked good every day. He is blessed that he never had a weight problem in spite of this. He saw that report on TV about the possibility of carbs contributing to cancer and it was an eye opener to him. In spite of this, I really doubt that he will cut back on his carbs after eating this way for 73 years. Starting in grade school, he went off to school with a breakfast of doughnuts and coffee with lots of cream and sugar.

Trish, I think even following WW you could still track your nutrients on MFP, you just couldn't do it on the WW website. To me, the cost of WW just isn't worth it. Once you understand the portion control, it doesn't seem necessary to continue to pay.

I think maybe I read too much. LOL Last night I was reading on BS101 about long term low carb eating. It said that long term low carb eating can contribute to a change in your thyroid and cause extreme fatigue. I took it to mean people who are doing LC such as Atkins Induction long term. Some of the people on the LC forum are complaining of that fatigue and they are ones who have been doing VLC for a year or more. It said that the remedy is to up your carbs a little bit and the fatigue will be relieved, but you will gain a few pounds. The weight you gain back is not fat, but the weight of the glucose coming back into your liver. Makes sense, but no one likes to see that gain after losing so much. This is when being a slave to the scale is not recommended.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #40  

And 205! Now .2 lbs from winning. I should, fingers crossed, get there this weekend!! Then I'll just have to maintain until the 21st.

Such beautiful weather lately. I think I'm going to get my house scrubbed this weekend and get my garden started. I love fresh squash and cucumbers. YUM!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #41  

FickleHearts YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Carol Sue Your DH sounds so much like my second DH. He was a meat and potato man. He thought you had to have both at every meal. He could eat anything he wanted and never gain a lb. He used to tell people that he ate way more than I did and I was the one who gained weight not him. I remember the first time I cooked beans for our supper. I made it the way my aunt always did. A pot of beans, with side dishes of fries, tomatoes, onions and cornbread. I thought that was a great southern home cooked meal. He set down at the table and looked around and said "Where is the meat?" He went on to inform me that a meal ALWAYS consists of meat AND potatoes. LOL

The fatigue is why I've never made the 14 days of AI. I just get so lethargic I just couldn't make the full 2 weeks. I just don't have time to go to bed to ride it out. I am not sure it would ever pass for me. That is what I've been experiencing with doing EFGT as a VLC way of eat. There it makes me think I have to have a little more carbs. I've been making myself exercise during this time as well and of course, there is too much to do and I don't have time to sleep all day. DH things I shouldn't make myself exercise, but I still try to do 20 minutes of the bike plus a few minutes with the weights and my back exercises I do before I even get out of bed which always adds up to about 30 minutes daily. He is afraid that I will lower my immune system, but I'm afraid if I don't exercise that I will get out of the habit and have to go through the struggle of making myself do it down the road.

We have talked about the high fat. I think I eat 2 eggs, 2 sl very crisp bacon, 1 sl of American cheese and half an avocado for breakfast. And then I have the bullet coffee with CO and cinnamon. I think for me that is just too much fat. I think the bullet coffee is good to start my day with, but I think I need to either cut the avocado to 1/4 of an avocado instead of 1/2 and I might do better if I save the avocado to put into my salad at lunch time. I read that breakfast should be heavy with protein, but just maybe mine is too heavy.

I think it just comes down to learning how to tweak this to fit our own body. And I may cut some of this back and have 1 slice of the 45 calorie Sarah Lee bread. I haven't had that in about 2 weeks now.

I think using the WW food plan rules along with tracking on MFP to do a more moderate low carb way of eating will be very helpful for me. To be honest at my age, I want to be able to be as healthy as possible as well as enjoy the years I have later. I really want to get used to eating a healthy way and then be able to stop tracking. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life worrying about all this stuff. I've lived 50 yrs dieting. I think it is time to just fall into a healthy routine and enjoy life without thinking about food/diet all the time.

Y'all have a fantastic Friday.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #42  

Trish, my DH doesn't need the meat. Many times he has just had a big plate of fried potatoes for his dinner, and sometimes when we go out to eat, he will get an order of loaded fries and a piece of pie. He will eat the meat if it's there, and it has to be very lean, all visible fat removed, but the potatoes are the main event. I call him Mr Potato Head. LOL

Fickle, do you have to wait until the 21 to do your final weigh in? If you reach goal before then, you will have to be very careful that you don't bounce back up!!! Yikes! I think I would try to get a little lower to be sure. Are you allowed to go a little lower? Do they still have the same rule that you are not allowed to lose too much? This could get very tricky. I hope you win!! Are you going to do it again?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #43  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

so much good news here from you all!
Mine is that in spite of a stressful week, I have moved my ticker down a pound. I have been losing, but hadn't set the ticker up when I gained.
One more pound and will have lost 10 since the New Year. Its very slow, but steadily going down.
Sunny and warming here, going out for a trail walk.
Also, the back is slowly improving, but there are setbacks as well as gains, but I am feeling more hopeful for sure.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #44  

Fatmad Congratulations!!! 1 lb gone. Glad back is improving.

Carol Sue My DH now is like yours. He would love to have fries at every meal, but doesn't because of health. He does prefer meat with the fat removed most of the time.

I've bounced back to 225 and seem to hang around there, but that isn't unusual for me. Not changing the ticker yet as I hope it will begin to change.

I eat a lot of vegetables and like some fruit. I think I'm not going to worry so much about ratios of carbs, protein, fat. I am just going to stick with the WW plan counting calories on MFP. I will try to stay within what I've put on the goals, but not going to worry about it too much one way or the other. Watch my calories, fiber and sodium. I guess I just don't care to be that precise. It is too much work. I am going to work at doing this within 5 to 9 eating hours.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #45  

203.6 this morning. Which is 1.2 lbs below my goal LOL! So far, I've won, but I can't do another official weigh in until the 21st. Provided my hormones don't make me gain too much water bloat, I should be good. I'll get disqualified if I go below 198 (but I'd be so ecstatic to see 190 anything I don't think I'd care LOL).

Yeah, I think I'll do another one in April. Hubby and I have decided to use my bonus money this year and do a cruise at labor day. I won't be at goal by then I'm sure, but I'm dang sure going to try!!!

Man, my husband is also like that ladies. He loves his taters and unless it's super lean, he doesn't eat a lot of meat. He's a total burger and fries guy.

Grats Fatmad! 9 lbs GONE! WOOT!
Closed Thread