Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

p.a. Contrats on the new grand baby! I have never given birth, and have never seen a baby being born. I don't know how I'd like that. I have seen it on TV on medical shows, but they only show what they want you to see. When I was in the hospital, I liked the food. I know I am rare! And DH liked eating in the cafeteria while I was there. I think it was just better than having to cook for himself.

Trish, I am glad to hear your GS will be finishing up sooner than expected and you can move on with your plans. It's hard to be in limbo.

I was starting to feel better then I felt worse again last night. Today is it mostly runny nose and coughing...just annoying, but I feel Ok otherwise. I have been eating more carbs lately, because they seem to soothe me. No sweets, but I had a baked potato with lots of butter for lunch, and DH brought McDonald's for dinner and I ate a chicken sandwich on a bun. Not what I would have liked to have, but when I'm not cooking, DH only thinks of McDonalds. We have many restaurants that I could call in a take-out order and he could pick it up, but beggars can't be choosers.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Sorry you are still not feeling up to par. Hope that changes soon. I don't think you can worry about the carbs while sick. I have had a little more carbs than usual because I also needed it to sooth my stomach to keep the acid down because I was in a situation where even a swallow of water caused GERD type reactions. Sometime you just have to do the best that you can.

My stomach has been better the past few days. DH son and granddaughter leave early in the morning so I will attempt to start back on lowcarbing tomorrow. I am strongly looking at Whole30 although I think it will be a challenge to do it for 30 days. I've got some ideas in my mind which I think I can do to make it work. It is only for 30 days and I would love to have the base of it. However, I also believe that if I could do AI for the 2 weeks or a even a month, it would do the same thing. So I'm thinking about it. Which ever I decide to do, I will begin it tomorrow.

We are going to Discovery Place in Charlotte today. We plan to go to a restaurant called Rock Bottom which is next door to it after we get through walking around. I will be using the Hugo walker today. It sure made walking the Aviation place a lot easier for me. I used my cane at the Billy Graham Library because I knew they had a lot of seating areas in each room on the tour. It makes me feel like I could do more walking if I used the walker. I might start doing that. DH would walk if I would walk with him and the walker would make it doable.

Well, I've got to get DH up so we can get this day going and I want to see if I can find a menu for the Rock Bottom restaurant since I started on plan this morning. It would be nice if I could stay OP the whole day.

p.a. I suspect you will be going to see that new DGS so not sure we will hear from you much. LOL I don't blame you at all.

Have a good day.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

Can anyone recommend the best diet plan for someone newly diagnosed.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #19  

Welcome, Huntress! Sorry to hear you've received the dreaded diabetes diagnosis. The main thing you should do is cut out sweets as much as you can. I know it can be hard to go cold turkey. Also, cut back on starchy carbs, such as potatoes, rice, pasta, flour based foods like bread and pizza, sugar sweetened drinks. Eat more vegetables. You should get a glucose meter and test 2 hours after each meal to see how that meal effected your blood sugar. If it goes up too high, then there was something in that meal you should avoid. This would give you a good start, and your doctor will probably set you up to go to a class with a dieticion who will give you guidelines to follow.

Good luck to you!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #20  

Huntress Welcome. At first it is a shock to be diagnosed, but if you get right on a good plan you can live with then you will do fine. Diet and exercise has a lot to do with keeping things in check.

Company is gone. DGS is gone until sometime tomorrow so DH and I have the house to ourselves at least until tomorrow sometime. We really enjoyed having Hubby's DS and DGD. And I actually didn't do too bad with all the eating out. I only gained 2.4 lbs which hopefully I will get back off before my WI Monday morning. I may not lose any weight this week, but if I can come through the week with no gain then I will count that as a success.

I didn't do bad with all the walking either which I'm sure is why there wasn't any more gain than there was. I had a hypoglycemic attack just before we went into the IMAX show. I had some diabetic tablets and it must have been extremely low because it took 3 of them to get myself together. I dozed off in the show just enough to get myself back to normal. It was my fault because I had only eaten an egg with a pinch of grated mozzarella cheese and a little bit of lf crumbled turkey sausage that I had nuked and eaten before we left. DH asked me if I wanted anything to eat a little bit before we went in to IMAX, but they didn't have anything OP and I was so determined not to eat junk. It is a good thing I had the diabetic tablets. It was crazy to do that and I won't make that mistake again. We got there around noon and left just before they closed. So I was on the move most of the time. I was amazed that my feet and back didn't hurt.

I probably did more walking in the past 2 days than I have done at one time in ages. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't decided if I'm going to ride my recumbent bike today or not although I really think it would be good to go ahead and do it today and tomorrow.

I am going to do OP my own plan leaning more toward a combination of LC/IE/IF ((Low carb/Intuitive Eating/Intermittent Fasting) eating mostly protein, veggies and some fruit and will eat mostly real food most of the time. No diet foods and as little processed foods as possible.

I'm using some of the ideas I got from the Thompson videos but not all. I've decided that I need some flexibility in my food plan because life happens. I need to make room for those things so that I don't feel like a complete failure when they do. Like you Carol Sue, I have a DH who decides to go eat at a place that is not always Low carb friendly. Most of the time I can handle it, but not always so I want to be flexible for those times when I can't stay Low carb. If I have an off/cheat day/meal as part of my plan, then there will be no such thing as a screw up or failure feelings. I am going to set limits of 2 or 3 meals and 1 snack each day and eat nothing after 8 pm regardless of when my 1st meal is eaten. I will exercise a minimum of 3 days a week for 20 minutes and maximum of 20 minutes 6 days a week on the recumbent bike. The change on that will depend on other activity such as walking on some days. I know some people may not think this Intuitive Eating, but I personally like eating more Low carb and setting a cut off time for eating when possible. After all, this is MY Personal Plan that I can live with.

Carol Sue Hope you are on the downside of that cold.

Got a lot of washing to do. DS brought down the sheets and towels so I'm washing today so we can get the upstairs ready for whoever I next visitors will be.

Have a great day and weekend.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 10-09-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #21  

Trish, sorry to hear about your hypo. I should probably knock on wood, but I have only had 1 hypo since diagnosed 7 years ago, and that was because I took more med than I need. Now I ALWAYS test before I take it to be sure I really need it. If not eating carbs, I usually don't need it and don't take it. I know it's prescribed just to take 1mg twice a day, but if I take it when I don't need it I have to eat carbs to counteract it. Glad you had your glucose pills with you.

I am still coughing up a lot of congestion, but generally feel better.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #22  

Afternoon everyone
With eating at the hospital and just being busy this week I'm up 4 pounds....ouch!! Ok time to get back to what I was eating before.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #23  

p.a. How's the new grand baby doing? It's hard to stay on plan when you're away from home so much, but you will get back to it. I am up 1 lb and I haven't been eating out!! These things happen.

My cold got a little worse last night. I started having pain in my left ear. That's never good. It's the weekend now so I can't get in to see the doctor unless I go to MedExpress and that's $40 as compared to a Dr visit which is $10. I am going to try to hold out until Monday. If I can't get in to see the doctor I can get a visit with a NP, and that will do for a small problem like this. I might need antibiotics. Otherwise, I'm feeling better.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #24  

I have been concentrating on eating less. I'm including some carbs, but it's things like baked sweet potatoes, not white carbs. Also, I have been cutting out some night time eating. I'm down 2 lbs and my blood sugar is down a bit, so I'm glad about that. I think I will gradually cut back more, in small enough increments that my body won't notice as much and see how I do.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Wish we would hear from Bonnie, but I know she doesn't post much. Trish, you mentioned that the weather was really bad in her area. Have you heard any more about how bad it was? I hope she and her family are OK. She was having so many family problems there for a while.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #25  

Carol Sue I was going by the fact that Bonnie lived in a place where flooding and loss of power was so bad in times past. However, I think this time it was more on the Atlantic side of I-95 and Columbia. So she might not have had it so bad this time. I think everyone has power back now.

I'm glad you are doing well and Congratulations on the 2 lbs down.

I've decided that dieting isn't going to work for me. It just makes me want more to eat. I did keep the 226.8 which is amazing to me with all the carbs I ate the past 2 days and I even forgot to take a fluid pill so it is real. So I ended last week with a 3 lb loss instead of the 5 I would have lost. I am going strictly IE and lean more toward fiber. I think that is the way for me do this, because if I can't have something that is exactly what I want. I know I have that problem so I have to turn it around and make it work for me instead of against me. Somehow take my weaknesses and turn them into strengths.

I have company coming for brunch in a few minutes and I am making a nice egg casserole for us more low carbish friendly although not strict.

Catch ya later. Have a good day.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #26  

Morning everyone
Had a wonderful thanksgiving weekend here....ate too much but that's part of the holiday right?
Carson is doing great. My dd is bringing him over tonight for a visit with nana..but without my dgd ,,,she won't let me hold him long before she tells me to give him to mommy lol.
This morning was blood work for my 3 month A1C check. I go back Monday to see Dr..would be nice if its down again.

Carol I call that baby steps....little changes at a time. Good for you!!
Trish dieting dosnt work for everyone,,..or no one would have a weight problem right? You will find something that clicks. Don't quit trying..
Old 10-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #27  

p.a. I forgot y'all were having your Thanksgiving holiday. Glad you enjoyed it as well as enjoying that precious new grandson.

I'm not giving up on eating healthy. In fact, I got up this morning and decided I wanted 1/2 a grapefruit first thing and then I actually wanted an egg salad for breakfast.

I'm re-reading the book Lowcarb for dummies book. She uses the WWP+ idea of certain fruits, veggies are freebie foods, but she also includes lean protein as part of the freebie foods. No counting calories. She says people may eat bigger portions in the beginning, but when they adjust to knowing they can have it whenever they want, that the portions diminish. She does allow any foods, but limit them to occasional.

Since I am choosing to do Intuitive Eating woe, this actually fits me very well. It is just learning to eat healthy most of the time, but to eat when hungry and eat only as much as needed to be satisfied.

Carol Sue I hope you are feeling okay.

Busy day today. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #28  

Trish, to me, IE is just common sense when it comes to eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied, but I just can't go along with "eat what you want." Many people take that to mean a free for all on sweets, and that is never good. Personally, I have to watch my carbs because of my diabetes. Some diabetics can allow more carbs than others. I say I follow low carb and I try very hard, but I slip up more times than I like to admit, but I will not quit trying. I will not give in to stronger pills and insulin. I am not even at 80/20...more like 60/40, but always trying to improve. I agree that there are no good/bad foods, but variety and moderation are key! I know that you agree with me, but some on the IE thread do not. That's why I will no longer post there. I'm tired of getting beat up. You know who I mean.

Oh, p.a. I love Thanksgiving. I love that it's a feast, but it's just one day and not like Christmas when the feasting lasts for weeks. LOL That's funny that dgd won't let you hold dgs too long.

I hope you get a good A1c.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #29  

I've been re-reading Low-carb Dieting for Dummies. I am using the basoc guidelines of this book. No counting calories although I am going to keep my starchy carbs between 45 to 75 grams. I like the idea of eating more grains than non. I just like the suggestions in this book and how this was originally an experiment she did to see how it would work. She found that this way of eating lowers LDL Cholesterol and triglycerides and balances glucose while it increases the HDL Cholesterol and lowers the risk of heart attacks and strokes. And it does all this with diet and exercise. I'm still doing low-carb, but not 0 to 20 carbs which is impossible for me to do. This is very doable. Now all I have to do is make it a routine/habit so it becomes a lifestyle for me. I can do this by picking the foods that I truly like even the grains and legumes and nuts that I like with the amount of protein and fats that I also like. And I can become and stay healthy along the way.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #30  

Trish, I was reading Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. He says that most people can do well as long as they stay below 100gm of carb per day and anything below 50 gm is really not healthy. It seems that Dr Atkins came up with the 20gm of carb limit and convinced people that it is required, when really, it's better to be a little higher. It's low enough to keep your insulin levels low and insulin is what causes fat storage. So if you find the number that works for you, you're good to go! I know I have never been able to do 20 or below for more than a couple days.
Closed Thread