Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

p.a. fasting doesn't always bring my blood sugar down, either. Maybe your dosage of glaclazide needs to be lowered if you are having so many lows. I hope you get in touch with your doctor soon.

I don't buy any low-carb products. I bought some sprouted grain bread at Target and I have it in the freezer for when I want bread. A loaf lasts me for months as I don't eat if often. This bread is very small thin slices, as 2 slices are equal to 1 slice of regular bread. I also love tomato sandwiches but have only had 1 so far this summer. I'm trying not to eat much bread.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I read on DiabetesDaily where a dietician suggests starting with a higher number like the low number of carbs that ADA recommends daily which is 130 grams and work backwards lowering the carbs till you find how many you can tolerate. Yesterday was a high carb day which I did list on MFP. I have to tell you that I cannot do a high carb diet. I was absolutely miserable. I don't know if it is because I'm not use to eating loads of carbs or what. Plus, I took the Lisinipril for the past 2 days and when I took it, my bp was so low that I was lethargic. All I wanted to do was sleep which I did. Probably not smart, but I couldn't stay awake. I checked my bp 88/46 heart rate was 78. Took hours for it to finally get back up to 105/55. So I'm taking it again until I see the doc. Maybe he will drop it or lower it. He and I will have to discuss this.

I also read that the new diabetic meds do not lower fbs, but it does lower your 2 hr post reading. I read some people on DiabetesDaily talking about how Januvia. This discussion was back inn 2010 and they were saying that they didn't think it helped them lose weight (which pharmaciest told me it might) as much as the low carb dieting did and that is where I learned that it doesn't seem to lower FBS, but 2 hrs after meals were lower. So we will see. My FBS has been rather high in 150s sometimes even lower 160s.

Then I read on another diabetic site that the host of that site that he/she never got better bg/bp readings until he got off his meds (didn't recommend anyone doing that) and started eating low carb/low glycemic way of eating. This site talked about the varied definitions of very low carb, moderately low carb etc. I think the very low carb is between 21 to 70 gram carbs a day. I don't remember the moderately low carb range because I realized that I could do 70 g a day.

I'm not giving up low carb way of eating. There are just too many great benefits from eating that way. Not real sure about the IF side of it. I am not sure if it is helping enough. The main thing is to stop eating early at night and then I usually don't eat until 9 or 10 am. I once had a book where you had fruit by itself in the morning hours and then ate regular food for 8 hours and the fasted for 8 hrs. The cycle was from 8 pm to 4 am you fasted, from 4 am to noon was time to consume fruit and then eat your regular meals from noon to 8 pm. So I figure if I fast from 8 pm to 9 or 10 am that I'll be doing good. I am exercising although not always as much as I probably should. Mostly trying to move around more. I have been riding a mile on the recumbent bike in the evening because it stops my back from hurting. So I've ridden it almost everyday this week.

What does this mean for me? Since low carbing works for lowering bp and bs, I will stick to that. It just might mean that the doc will have to take me off my meds. Who knows. No since in even taking Januvia if it doesn't work and I can't afford any of the other meds, but I'm not ready to give up on that one yet. I will discuss that with him as he can up that one since I'm on the lowest mg right now. With the possible side effects, I don't want to raise it too much though. So I'm hoping if I can get my carbs to stay between 20 to 70 grams that the diet will finally lower the fbs.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #48  

Going to look up sprouted grain bread.....
Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #49  

p.a. the most popular one is Ezekiel bread, sold in the frozen food department in my local store. The one I have been buying is this

http://www.goodguide.com/products/35...eviews-ratings

It is not low carb, but the slices are very small so you need less to make a sandwich or toast, and it's said to be very healthy. It's chewy bread, not soft like white bread. You have to like that sort of thing. It's in a separate display in Target, near the dairy/deli aisle. It's expensive, but worth it to me.

Trish, I think the reason you cannot eat higher carb is because your body is no longer used to it. It's the same way with me. I ate really high carb the past two days and felt terrible, also. When I do that I have to take my glimiperide full strength and I'd rather not.

I tried cutting back on my vegetables to make my carbs lower and I am not happy with that. I was again reading about the importance of the fiber and nutrients in the vegetables so I am going to add them back. I can eat a lot of vegetables and still say below 70 gm of carb. I believe our bodies need them. Everyone might not agree with me and that is a personal choice. My joint pain has also increased without the vegetables.

I would not be taking the blood pressure meds if I were you. Fluid pills lower blood pressure, too, if you're still taking them. It's good that you check your blood pressure so you know where you stand. Please take into consideration that the blood pressure monitor you're using could be malfunctioning. Sometimes I check mine when I go to the local Walmart, but theirs is always much lower than the one I have at home, and at the doctor. One time our doctor had us bring our home monitor with us so he could compare that reading to the one they did manually. Back then, it was the same, but they can wear out and malfunction.

I ordered a copy of the original Dr Atkins Diet Revulution 72. These women keep saying how the original diet was so different from the new version. Many of them go on induction and stay there for extended periods of time. I am interested in reading about OWL, as I believe it allows more vegetables than they are eating. They only eat a little bit of iceberg lettuce and cucumbers. I am doing this just to satisfy my own curiosity. I will not confront them about their lack of vegetables. Everyone has the right to do what they want.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-16-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #50  

I checked my fbs earlier this morning and it was 157 which isn't unusual for being on Januvia. I decided to eat a little differently today. So I had an apple with a slice of cheddar cheese before going to church. I remember a lady who use to be on here who ate an apple with peanut butter in the mornings. By the time I got to church and set down, I suddenly felt alert. Something I haven't felt in quite some time. The carb was higher than I would have liked but I will watch that next time. I think I need the fruit. I got home and checked my bg before eating lunch and my reading was 127. So I'm going to do some things a little differently this week. I am going to try eating small snack type meals for a few days and see how that works. Perhaps I am one of those people who does better with a little more carbs, but spreading them throughout the day into small snacks.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #51  

Trish, do you ever do a control test on your meter? I did one this morning. I opened a new pkg of strips and my FBS was 201. I haven't had one in the 200s for over a month, so I did a control test and tested again and it was 163. Not great, but a big improvement over the 201.

I like apples, and like them with PB, but for some reason I buy them and then don't eat them. I like Gala apples.

I am reading a book from the library that was recommended to me. It is Rethinking Thin. I just started it this morning. So far, it tells how all the diets that are popular actually started years ago in the 1800s, but keep being brought back, some the same, and some with a new twist. And all of them include regaining at some point in time. Keeping it off seems to be the main problem, but I can't even get it off in the first place!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #52  

Morning
I tried the low carb bread last night...I used it as a bun...it was ok but not great. It maybe be better toasted. I'm kind of nervous to toast it though in case i realllly like it. Haha. I have seen the Ezekiel bread at the store! It was in the freezers. Ok I will buy a loaf next time. Chewy bread is good! I think with my other two pkgs of the low carb bread I will make some individual pizza crusts and freeze them. Something to have on hand for those days when I need something quick.

Carol Sue how do you do a control test on your meter? Never heard of that.
Gala apples are my favourite go to apple. This summer I had diva apples they are from New Zealand....so sweet and crisp yummmm Apple season is coming up! My teeth are sensitive so I can't do the tart apples like Macintosh. Make my teeth ache just thinking of it.
Trish I've read that having some protein with carbs helps control the bg.

Weight was down this morning I'm in a new decade.. That was my goal for August!!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #53  

Carol Sue I don't know what a control test is for the meter or how to do it. Please explain. Interesting info in your new book. After all, how many different ways can a person eat.

p.a. I'm going to try to limit my intake of bread. I am changing some of the foods I'm eating but staying within the 8 hr IF window and also staying within the calories and macronutrient counts I've decided on. I know it takes time to adjust to something new. So I plan to give this a little more time to do it.

This morning I had fruit with nonfat Greek yogurt. I've decided to "learn" to like Greek yogurt because it is supposed to be better for me. I also got some lowfat cottage cheese to have on a salad for dinner instead of eating so much mayonnaise and other fats.

I joined SparkPeople to see how many calories they recommend. They show that I should be able to lose 1 lb a week eating 1450 to 1800 calories a day. They don't seem to do macronutrients. So I will continue the 1600 calories on MFP. I have come to believe that I just have to patiently give it time. Years ago I heard of a woman who did WW for 1 whole year before she lost even one lb. But once the year was up OP she started losing weight.

I like using MFP because it figures the carbs, fats and proteins for me as well as the fiber (macronutrients). Then I subtract the fiber from the carb count to see how many carbs I'm doing that day. I really believe having the carbs between 70 to 80 grams after the subtraction of fiber should also helpl keep me from slipping up and overeating. I remember a doctor's book that I read who said to have the carb grams lower than the fat grams and protein grams and then keep the fat grams above the protein gram count. I've finally got that adjusted on MFP so I will also stay with this way of eating believing I will eventually see good results.

My FBS is coming down, but it is slow, but I want to know that the Januvia along with my diet and exercise plan will work for me. BP without the medicine is staying under 120/80. In fact this morning was 112/64 and was in that range the day before. Evidently lowcarbing along with IF does lower BP. I am very happy with the results. I finally have Trish's Plan that I believe I can live with.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #54  

Most blood glucose meters have a feature of doing a control test. I have the Walmart Relion meter. I got a bottle of control solution free from the manufacturer by ordering it online. If you are using a different meter, I've heard people say if you call the manufacturer they will send it to you. Their customer service number should be in the instruction manual.

On the Relion meter, I insert a strip. When it starts blinking, indicating that it's ready, you push the button on the right and an indicator will light up in the upper right corner showing a little bottle. (the coltrol solution) You put a drop of solution on the strip and it will come up with a number, that should be within a certain range, as shown on the canister of strips. Mine was 93. This is to be done occasionally, especially each time you open a new package of strips. It "resets" the meter. If the number you get is not within the range indicated on the package of strips, something is wrong, usually the control solution or the strips are out of date. Or something is wrong with the meter. With any problem I've had, a control test always fixes it. If you have not been doing control tests then your reading could be off.

I used to use One Touch. I had 2 meters. I started getting way different readings between the two meters. I did control tests and that didn't help. Then I opened a new pkg of strips and the the 2 meters gave the same reading within 1 or 2 points. Even though the strips had not expired yet, they had been opened too long. Back then I didn't test very often. Now that I test more often the strips don't have a chance to get old.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #55  

Morning
Trish I know I can't lose weight with that many calories...MFP wants me to eat 1600 a day as well but it dosnt work for me. Now I eat around 1200 and I dont 'eat' my exercise calories either. My Fitbit is linked to MFP and most days I show I've burned more calories then I've eaten. Since following this plan I have been steadily losing 1-2 pounds a week. I'm not starving and I feel so much better.
You will find what works for you..it took me years. I still struggle sometimes to.

Carol Sue I have the contour next meter,,,I didn't keep the booklet for it so I will google about testing it. Good to know thanks!!
Going to an English restaurant for lunch today, I will try a real scone with tea but I'll pass on the jam and cream with it. That will be my lunch..

Have a good day everyone!
Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #56  

Carol Sue Thanks for sharing the info. I checked mine last night and I think it is ok.

I am not going to worry about carbs any more. I'm just going to count calories and keep them under 1400 calories. Then if I have to go lower, I will. I have changed my mind about some lowfat products. I thought about doing WW again. I even made food plan for today with WW and then checked the calories on MFP and I think it is easier to use MFP. Plus I can print out my daily plan. I tried using Sparkpeople, but they don't have calories for all the foods I eat like MFP does. So I will continue using it.

p.a. I don't use my exercise calories either unless we eat out.

I've decided that I want to eat what I enjoy eating and stay within a limited number of calories. I'm not really losing at this point... I'm just maintaining within a few pounds. If I have to cut my calories back even more to lose, I will do it, but I will do it eating foods I enjoy eating.

Have a good day.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #57  

Leaving tomorrow for a weekend away......... Food will not be an issue. I won't let it. ( keep repeating that to myself as needed)
Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #58  

Started WWPP at home on my own. No meetings. I have got to get control of portions. I like having the fruits and veggies. I like the idea of being able to make homemade soups this fall. I'm even doing lowfat. I'll let you know how it goes. Just can't keep gaining weight.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-20-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #59  

I have decided that I am no longer trying to lose weight. I have been on 3FC since 2011 and my weight has not changed much since then, just up and down the same 5 pounds. I have become healthier, though. I have changed my diet and my labs are good. My doctor is pleased with them, and just tells me to exercise. I don't think stressing about what it says on the scale is good for me. I know I weigh more than I should, but my body seems to like this weight so I am going to accept it, too. This does not mean I am going to go back to my old WOE. Watching my carbs has lowered my blood sugar and I will continue my healthy eating that I have come to love. It just comes natural to me, now...no feeling of deprivation. I will still weigh, and will not allow my weight to balloon out of control. But if I stay at 200 lbs the rest of my life, so be it.

I have made some good friends on 3FC and I will still be posting, cheering others on. I'm just changing my focus for myself.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #60  

Carol Sue I think we stress too much and I've been reading how stress is soooo bad for diabetics. I have pretty much the same attitude about this as you do although I'm not ready to stay where I am weight wise. However, I decided that I need to work with my body.

I will be 72 yrs young tomorrow and I realized yesterday when talking to my sister that I've been on some diet or another for 50 yrs. I'm tired of it. WW is a good diet. A few years ago I was sitting in the waiting room of the hospital waiting for DH having some test done. The tv was on in the waiting room and they announced the best diet for losing weight. They said that WW was #1 and next was Atkins. The problem was keeping it off. Then a while back I read the same thing on a newsletter I got from diet site.

So I have to come to the realization that it is obvious that I am not good doing Atkins or low carb. It just does not fit me or my lifestyle. WW used to advertise something like "Eat normal food and lose weight". I always had problems with WW before because my deceased Hubby and family ate a lot of fatty foods. DH I have now doesn't really like a lot of fat foods. So I'm going back to eating the way I did when we first married and I lost so much weight only this time I'm doing it with WWPP. If done correctly it is an extremely healthy way to eat and DH will do it with me.

In fact, I bought some lowfat 2% cottage cheese. Last night DH came in and said, "You know what I want to eat tomorrow? I want some of that cottage cheese with tomatoes. I learned to eat it that way from my Mother". I learned a lot myself from DH Mother when DH and I married. I learned that a sandwich doesn't have to have mayonnaise. I can eat it with mustard or without anything. I also learned that I could be just as satisfied with half a peanut butter sandwich as I would be with a whole one. It means I can eat a smaller portion of something I really want and lose weight and still be satisfied. What fats I am eating are healthy ones.

I am also eating a lot like I do when we travel. I usually have a Egg McMuffin for breakfast when traveling between 9:30 and 11 am. So I make one with lowfat foods at home for as little as 4 or 5 pts. depending on the meat (bacon, Canadian Bacon or lowfat sausage) and lowfat cheese. It has become my favorite breakfast. I don't use a lot of fat free foods unless that is all I can get. It is working so. I am also exercising 5 days a week for 20 to 30 minutes.

I think the greatest benefit this will have for me is that I will stop the stress. When I get rid of the stress I get of feeling guilty when I haven't done something I cannot do (low carb), the blood sugar will come down and stabilize. Then perhaps even the weight will come down as well. I'm telling you, I see people at church who have lost weight with WW and they are looking great and they have energy. I'm so ready to feel good again.

Carol Sue I think you live under such stress too and I think your way of doing things will help you a lot too as the stress is removed.

p.a. I don't know if you are checking in while traveling, but hope you are having a wonderful time.
Closed Thread