Old 07-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/211/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Newly diagnosed...carb counting question

I am newly diagnosed with diabetes, and my doctor wants me to shoot for roughly 45 grams of carb per meal. I have been counting just total carbs so far, but upon some reading, it seems I should be adding fiber into the equation. For example, if something has 23g total carbs, and 9g of fiber, the net carbs would be only 14g. So in my meal calculations, I would only add in 14g instead of the 23g? I plan on discussing this with my doctor when I check in with her in another week or so but I'm just curious as to how other folks handle this.
Mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Hi Mainah and welcome.

Net carbs (total carb minus fiber) is what would be counted. HOWEVER, you will find that other than doctors and nutritionists amd the American Diabetes Association, absolutely NO ONE thinks diabetics or even pre-diabetics should have anywhere near 45 carbs per meal!!! (Along with the 15 per snack they usually also recommend!) In fact, very recently the ADA has just begun to "think about" changing their official views on this.

I know this is going to be fristrating and confusing to hear this as a newly diagnosed diabetic who is lustening to a doctor... And believe me I amno radical anti-medical advise rebel. But this 45 carbs is WILDLY out of line and the best it might do is allow you to grow into a high dose of medication as the only possible way to control your diabetes.

You might want to do some additional research and reading on line. Check put Diabetes 101 and also you will surely hear from several of our regulars on here.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT UPON YOURSELF TO learn more about the impacts of carbs on blood sugars.

Hopefully you are trsting blood dugar multiple tomes per day and in conjunction with reading more about carbs and blood sugar, you will begin to lower your readings by lowering your carbs.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote