Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I always wanted to try Duke's but they don't sell it up north. A couple months ago they had it in the Dollar General ad. When we went in to get it they said they didn't have it and that it was only in certain states. I use Hellmans. I tried a generic from Aldi's once and we didn't like it. I will use Aldi's brands when it tastes the same. Some things are even better than the brand name.

I was eating those chips with hummus, so substituting nuts wouldn't work, but I also like it with celery which is much healthier. I only eat a few nuts a day, for the healthy fat and mine are unsalted.

We don't eat a lot of corn. Our growing season is shorter here and you can only get the farmers corn for a few weeks out of the year. We have had it twice this summer so far. Probably one more time. DH likes canned or frozen corn too, but I can take it or leave it. I know a lot of diet plans say not to eat it, but I like a plan that allows most foods, as, for me, my weight problem is from too much food, not the type of food eaten. When I lived at home, my mother would not cook a special meal for me. I ate whatever she cooked for dinner and still lost weight because I controlled my portions. I need to get my mind to do that again.

Yesterday, we got fish from a local restaurant. It comes with french fries and cole slaw. They give you 3 pieces of fish and that's good for DH and I. DH eats the french fries and I eat the cole slaw, but yesterday I had a few of the french fries, too. That was my RM. It wasn't balanced because it was a take-out meal and I did not eat a big salad before hand. I'm glad the book says you can substitute cooked vegetables for the salad. That would work best for me in most cases.

I decided I need to throw IE into the mix to keep me from eating when not hungry and stopping when satisfied. But it will be my version of IE. Because of my diabetes, I can not eat carbs or sweets just because I want them.

So my WOE is a combination of LC, CALP, IF, and IE. LOL Do what works!

p.a. Walk Away the Pounds is a good low impact work-out. There's no complicated steps to learn and you can do it at your own pace.

Hi Rennie!!!!

Elizabeth! Where are you?

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-25-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #77  

Here's one of my problems. On some days, DH makes breakfast for himself, and when he does, he makes scrambled eggs for me. Sometimes he asks if I want them, and sometimes he doesn't. Like today. He just made them. I wasn't really hungry yet, and would have probably not eaten until around 10 or 11, sometimes even later. But if I tell him I don't want it, he will never make it for me again, and that's something I enjoy. His scrambled eggs are really good! So I ate when I wasn't hungry, and now my appetite has been set in motion and I could eat again. Not that I'm hungry. I have to get busy doing something to get my mind off food, or maybe just have a cup of tea or coffee.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #78  

Morning everyone
Got on the scale today and I'm down 1.6.
My overall goal is to get my carbs down,,,,I'm finding these days I can go as high as 100 per day. My bg numbers are very good but I want to control it without meds. I do have some crackers with lunch...I'm such a carb addict. I'm looking for that crunch. Does anyone have a low carb cracker recipe they make?

Carol Sue, that's hard....could you talk to your dh about how much you love them and him making them but could he wait till you asked for them.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #79  

No, p.a. he would just not make them for me anymore, and it would make him feel bad...he feels that he's doing something nice for me. It's not every day, and on some days, I AM hungry,
Old 07-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #80  

It is sweet of him, Carol Sue.
I just found out I have company coming this Tuesday not next....guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I never noticed that the book said you can substitute veggies for the salad. I could handle that. As much as I love salads, I still get tired of them sometime. Maybe I will rethink CALP since the RM is nice to fall back on.

p.a Just think of the exercise you will be getting tomorrow getting ready for company.

I have been off a bit this weekend. I will get back OP tomorrow. I think I need to get the CALP book back out. I have the workbook and I think I need to work it again. Dietdoctor.com has more info on how to low carb. He obviously doesn't think you have to give up everything forever, just don't eat some of the foods we like very often. I need to be OP for quite a while before I eat off or perhaps I need to learn how to make CALP work for me again.

Been a busy week end. DH tried to fix my friends tail lights on her car but it must be electrical as it just blew the fuse again. We ended up making popcorn and watching a movie. I didn't eat much but it wasn't low carb. Although I did not see anything on his site about popcorn. If I had been doing CALP, it could have been my RM. I do remember seeing Rachel Heller and her husband on tv years ago. Someone had pigged out on cookies while on the CAD. Dr. Rachel told her that she could have had 3 CM and had the cookies for her RM. So I think if I did Craving Reducing meals and then had the popcorn later with a diet cold drink for a RM, I would still be OP. If I decide to do CALP, I will have to be sure that I eat nuts with RM and not for snacks as that is the only way they would be allowed.

I will get the book out and look at it tomorrow. I still have that breakfast at church coming up this coming Thursday. CALP would sure make it easier.

I will get back with y'all tomorrow. I'm starting my exercise tomorrow.
Good night.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #82  

Carol Sue I got my CALP book out and looked it over. I like your LC, CALP, IF, IE. You might say that is what I'm doing. I'm probably doing more of a LCHF (Although it won't be that high, I'm just not going to use lowfat anything which CALP does say you can use either regular or lowfat so I guess LC/CALP/IF/IE works.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #83  

Trish, I don't intentionally add extra fat, but I have never used low fat products, except for the low fat milk, and I use that because I prefer it. I eat dark meat chicken instead of the lower fat white meat. I eat pork country ribs that have more fat than the loin chops DH eats. I blot the grease off my burgers that I cook at home only because I don't like the greasy feel. So I don't add extra fat, but I don't avoid it either.

Last night was not good. My reward meal was way too long. I just couldn't quit eating.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #84  

Carol Sue I don't add extra fat either. I do the same thing you do with the meat. I do use butter or EVOO on some of my veggies now.

I checked out the CALP site where I know of the successful women doing it. I noticed that while they do mention eating bread and dessert from time to time, they seem to eat peas, carrots, squash (more high carb veggies) as their carby food during RM. I really never thought of squash as a higher carb. I'll have to look up the carb count on that one. It may be the kind of squash as I seem to remember some squash is higher. I'll have to check to see if zucchini a higher carb as I really like zucchini and usually like eating it as a CM veggie. Any way, I say all that to say that I think I haven't seeing the full picture of the carby RM. Maybe I am not doing it correctly.

I started CALP again today. I think if I can learn to look at it differently that it will work again. It is such a great way to have your carbs and lose weight at the same time AND get the diabetes under control. As I've said before, it makes going out to eat soooooo much easier.

Elizabeth Are you on a technical break? Hope you are doing well.

p.a. and Rennie I hope all is going well for y'all today.

Have a good day.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #85  

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 sl bacon, 1/4 avocado, kale, 2 c coffee with half & half and Stevia

RM - large salad with Duke's Mayo, 4 crackers, meatloaf, corn on the cob, brussel sprouts and 8 oz glass whole milk. (I hope I have things balanced enough for the corn and crackers. I just count the milk as dairy although I think it is supposed to be included in 1/3 carb. So I may not be a legal RM on that. The Costco corn on cob is sooo good and a little sweet so I called that my dessert to round out my RM. (The games we play. But if it works...)

Dinner - salad with sandwich meat for protein and mayo.

Drinking mostly water and 1 glass of tea

My exercise today was kettle and dumb bells and 2 miles (approximately 21 minutes) on recumbent bike.

Been a good day.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #86  

Morning
Just getting ready for company. After spending 3 weeks on holidays and losing weight I'm ready to stay OP while they are here. Will check in when i can
Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #87  

Feeling dizzy, weak, no energy etc. CALP says may not be eating enough carbs and Dietdoctor.com says I'm not eating enough salt. Just hope this doesn't last long. It is kind of like what the Atkins Induction call Atkins flu. I felt this way the 1st time I did AI and I always stopped the Atkins because I hated this feeling. I hope I can ride this out to the other side.

p.a. Enjoy your company.

Hope everyone is doing good.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #88  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

HEY Ladies it has been a while. I have been busy. I am down 118 pounds and I am working on our new house so we can move!!!Yay!! We are finally leaving his aunts. She has been arguing with us daily we are jest tired of it so much has happened that we are done. We have a friend who has a house one street over and he is paying us to fix it and then he is gonna let us rent it from him. We are all so excited that we have been here for 3 years and so ready for us to have our own place back. Its pretty late here and I am exhausted and I have to get up and do everything all over tomorrow on my birthday! Butt it is a good presant!! I hope all is doing well!!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #89  

Hi Bonnie! Good to see you. You have done very well with your weight loss and I hope you are feeling good and your family is doing well. I'm glad you are finally moving into your own home. You have done so much for his Aunt and she doesn't seem to appreciate it. You will have much less stress getting away from her, but still be close enough to her if necessary. I'm looking forward to hearing how it all works out.

Trish, I hope that Atkins Flu is all that's wrong with you. When you list your food it sounds as if you're eating enough, but I don't know how big your portions are, so I can't judge. I hope it's not low sodium. I don't eat a lot of salt but I don't have any problems, but my BIL's sodium was low because of a med he was taking and he ended up having seizures and had to be hospitalized.

I have been having bathroom problems the past couple days. At first I thought it was something I ate but then it continued. I never had problems with Metformin, but I just started using a new batch and they filled it with a different manufacturer than I usually get. I hope that's not it. I hope it's just a temporary thing. I will take an Immodium and see how things go after that. (no pun intended!)

p.a. I hope you continue to do well with your company here. Once you establish a lifestyle it becomes second nature. Enjoy..but not too much! LOL
Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #90  

Bonnie I think of you often and have wondered how you were doing. You have done great with getting your weight under control especially with all the stress you have had with your hubby's aunt. You will feel like you have gone to heaven when you get into your own place.

Carol Sue I think it was my bp. It has been really low the past 3 days so I didn't take a bp pill yesterday and it was still a little low this morning. I think the bp medicine is going to be the first pill I'm going to be able to ditch doing low carb.

I'm not eating a lot. In fact, yesterday I only had my RM around 3 and then I just had eggs with some ham cut into it. I took a potassium pill and also read from PP Dr. Eades to take Magnesium before you go to bed. I thought I didn't have any Magnesium but I did find 4 pills so I took one last night before I went to bed. I feel so good about what I'm doing and with all the info out there with Drs. Fung, Eades, Dietdoctor.com, and other lowcarbers out there, I think that by the grace of God maybe I can actually do this. I have also started drinking broth. I only have low sodium broth so I added some salt to it when I made it.

I hope your problem isn't the Metformin. You know I stopped the Januvia and am taking the Metformin and it is not having the affect on me that it had before. In fact, since I'm doing lowcarb, I may need to start taking Metamucil.

Well, I got a whoosh downward on the scales and I am only 2 lb from being in line with my ticker. So maybe... it will be right soon.

I have a meeting I was going to go to tonight and one in the morning at church, but I think I'm going to stay home. I've decided that this is the time that I need to take care of me and my health. I've always copped out when I got to feeling this way. I know my body is just adjusting to the way I'm eating and I'm not going to stop now. Too much at stake. I like the term Reverse Diabetes. I know it can be done because I've done it before. I am determined that I am going to do it again and this time I will make this way of eating a lifestyle so that I will never have diabetes again.

Y'all have a great day.
Closed Thread