Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

The computer has been working fine the rest of the day. I just had that blip this morning. I don't know what caused it.

My blood sugar was really high this morning. I had a very good day with eating today so hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Although I am fasting at least 16 hrs or more, I still check my FBS when I first get up and then again just before I eat my first meal. This morning my FBS was 165 when I got up, but it was 102 just before I ate. I am doing a 4 hr eating window today. It was the 1st time in quite some time that it has been that high, but then it was earlier than usual when I checked it.

I still don't understand how all of this works.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-28-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: correction of 16 yrs
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #108  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

Happy Sunday!

+1 for being confused, lol

I am really starting to get angry with myself. I know what has to be done, but just cannot follow through with it. Seriously, why do some people go to the doctor, get their 'wake up call' and get on with it? Why can't I do that?

Maybe I'm just being dramatic, but I find it absolutely terrifying that I cannot seem to get this under control.

Trish, I'm glad your DH got the all clear, but how bizarre about the lack of taste? Silly question, but has he lost weight since this started?

Carol Sue, fiber and exercise? Will have to read more.

to you both!
momwithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #109  

Elizabeth, I am the same as you. I get gung ho, and that lasts about a week, then I fall off the wagon and have to start over. I know very well what the dangers are, but like you, I can't seem to follow through. I think we both need a nice swift kick in the pants! Anybody out there willing to comply? LOL

The fiber binds with the other food and lowers/slows the absorption to reduce blood sugar spikes. That keeps your body from releasing too much insulin, and insulin is the fat storage hormone. Exercise helps with the insulin resistance in your muscles, making them absorb more glucose from the blood to be used for energy. With less glucose in the blood, you need less insulin. There's a lot of technical jargon in this book that is over my head, but that's the basic idea.

Trish
, for me, it seems that my blood sugar is lower when I first get up than it is a hour or two later, even without eating. I blame it on my coffee. But the day I had to go for blood work I woke up and it was in the 140s. No coffee or anything, expect a half a glimiperide which I thought would lower it for the bloodwork. When I left the house it was in the 160s. So I don't have the same experience that you do.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #110  

Elizabeth Yes DH has been losing weight because he doesn't eat as much as he did since he can't taste. However, he is having to cut back on some things because of his cholesterol and triglycerides being high. He is slowly cutting back on some things. Also he does eat a lot of things we didn't use to eat because instead of going by taste, he now goes by how it feel... such as texture. So I'm learning to try different things to give him a chance to see if he can tolerate it or not. The bad thing is that I've been eating it with him and while his weight is going down, mine has been going up. I'm working on changing that now.

I've go a big pot of lintels and steamer of quinoa going now. I will eat protein and simi low carb, but not Atkins typle low carb. I just get too board eating so much meat.

I have to tell y'all something funny that happened when we went to Outback after we left the ENT office. I usually take DH out for steak for birthday and father's day. So we decided to go ahead and try Outback steak.

The waitress brought our steaks and we are discussing how it felt when he ate it. As the waitress walked by, DH said "The texture is okay, I can eat this but it has no taste". All the waitress heard was "It has no taste". She stopped abruptly and said "My steak has no taste? You want me to take it back and get another one?" Then we explained to her the problem was not the steak but the fact that he had no ability to taste. She was concerned for him.

I left to go potty while he paid the bill. When we got in the car, he told me that she had told him to ask for her next time we go because she would have them spice it up for him hoping he will be able to taste it. Of course, that won't help, but it was funny and nice.

Carol Sue Just the difference in yours and my experiences with FBS just goes to show why we have to find what works for us individually. What irritates me is that just the time I think I've got it figured out, I find out that I don't.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #111  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello everyone

I am new to this section. I was recently diagnosed Type 2 about three months ago. The last two months were filled with depression trying to come to grips with accepting my fate. But there are too many people in my family who are also Type 2 and doing nothing about it, and I didn't want to end up getting worse with time...

So here I am! Taking my meds, checking my BS, watching what I eat more closely, and exercising a lot more.

I have one question since I am new to diabetes... do you find it difficult to manage both PCOS and diabetes, or do the two kind of coincide? When it was just PCOS I never worried about my BS because it wasn't an apparent issue. I followed a nutritarian type diet, full of veg, some fruit, beans and nuts, and no bread/pasta/rice (pretty much vegan). Watching carbs wasn't really an issue then because I was naturally choosing foods that were lower carb options.

I have been trying to do the nutritarian diet again but having commitment issues. (I just love pizza too much, even in moderation). I think that was my downfall the last time.

Hopefully I will get to know some of you better!

Until next time, keep on dancin'
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #112  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

hi all:
back from holidays: stayed true to ticker at least

Also had a tender neck/outside of my throat.
Apparently an inflamed trachea.
So I am not supposed to sing.
I am not very compliant with that, as I tend to sing a lot.
(sing along to the radio, sing as I work etc. )

Otherwise doing well.
Latest a1c was 5.8 so I am ok with that.

just thought I would check in and say hi
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:20 AM   #113  

Laifierr, Welcome to the diabetes thread! I don't have PCOS and I don't think any of the other posters here do either, but we are all type 2 diabetic or pre-diabetic, so we can communicate with you on that. I love nutritarian, although I do still eat meat, just not as much as I did before. I, too, try to stay away from starchy carbs but am not always compliant. I used to love pizza and couldn't stay away from it, although it raised my blood sugar very high. My husband still orders it, but I started pulling off the cheese and toppings and chopping that up into a salad. I still get the taste of pizza, but without the crust. It's better than having no pizza at all. You might want to try that. It's sad that we have to make these changes, but the alternative is some very serious medical problem that can be caused by high blood sugar.

Trish, did you ever try couscous? I saw them making it on TV and wanted to try it. I bought some, but then realized that what I bought is instant, probably pre cooked and seasoned, and I wanted to try cooking it from scratch like quinoa. I will make it so I can taste it and see if I actually like it before I look for it again. What I bought was Far East brand.

Mad, it's funny that you posted today. I was thinking about you because this morning I watched a program on TV about a woman giving birth at home, in a tub, with 2 midwives. It was interesting. Her husband was in the tub with her, assisting here, and her 3 kids were there watching the whole thing, getting to see their baby sister come into the world. The one little girl was sitting there eating a sandwich! LOL The baby weighed 9 lb 14 oz. Wow!

Elizabeth, how's Bob?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #114  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

I love couscous! Sorry if you already know this, but it's not a grain like quinoa, it's a pasta-like product made with semolina flour. If you buy the plain type, there is nothing added to it. All of it is pretty 'instant,' what changes is the cooking method. Americans add it to a cup of boiling water and call it done. In the Middle East, it will be steamed and rinsed several times, but the initial product is all the same.

As for Bob, he is back this morning, but wants to take things a little more slowly. He felt I was trying to move too fast and he feels the relationship will fizzle out if we try to keep that pace. I'm a lucky girl, he is very wise! LOL

Trish, does your DH cook for himself at all? That might make things a little easier on you.

Laifierr, welcome! I do not have true PCOS. Have had issues with ovarian cysts, but none of the actual side-effects of the disease. I am considered pre-diabetic bc I had gestational diabetes with both of my sons. Might as well call it early type 2, but that is another argument, LOL.

Welcome home, Fatmad!
momwithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #115  

Thanks for the info Elizabeth. I looked at the box and it is called Near East, not Far East. LOL The one I got is roasted garlic and olive oil flavor. I think I will cook some today and see how I like it. I love to try new things. That's too bad, because I keep adding foods to my list of what I like...not good when you're trying to lose weight!

I love how you talk to/about Bob. He is right to want to take things slowly. Slow but sure wins the race.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #116  

Laifierr Welcome!!! I've never been diagnosed with PCOS, but my sister and I have often wondered if we had it. Just knowing some of the things her daughter goes through and she has it.

Elizabeth No DH doesn't cook for himself. It sure would be nice if he did cook. He could as I know he had to before we married, but now I've spoiled him and he doesn't even try. Once in a while, he will come into the kitchen and help me some but that isn't often either.

I kind of like Bob myself. I think he must have been talking to me today too. I've been trying to cut my IF hours down to 4 or 5 eating hrs, but this morning decided to do it slowly. Most days I will do 6 to 8 eating hrs and then on certain days when I have to eat earlier, I will stick to the 10 hr eating window.

In fact, I almost decided not to do IF, but felt like I should look at the IF group on FB and I was so glad that I did. There was a newbie who asked about what you eat during your eating window. I learned some cut calories, some low carb, some use micronutrient plans and some eat whatever they want. The main rule seems to be eat within an 10 hr window when you start and when comfortable cut back to 8 hr window. So y'all know me, I have a tendency to decide something isn't working and switch, but once I read that, I decided to keep doing IF. I've decided no matter what time I start to eat each morning, I will stop eating by 7 pm. That will give my body 4 or 5 hrs for my stomach to empty before I go to bed as I don't like going to sleep on a full tummy.

Carol Sue I haven't made couscous. I bought it one time, but gave it to the kids when they lived here. I tasted it, but won't make it just for me. I cooked quinoa yesterday and while it was okay, not my favorite or at least not with lentils. Actually, I do like lentils and barley, but haven't cooked it in quite some time.

Mad Always good to hear from you.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #117  

I wanted to share something I saw on tv this morning and the other post was getting too long.

I don't usually watch Benny Hinn much but decided to watch it today and he had a very interesting nutritionist/doctor on his show. I'm not sure he was a doctor although he was called that by the host.

This man was full of so much information and I plan to get his book. He had done an extensive research because he wife who had been a Beauty Pagent winner and was very vibrant and active until after the child was borne when she experienced such an abrupt change of personality that she wouldn't leave her bedroom because of fear, anxiety and panic attacks as well as depression. He told all the meds she had been put on and they realized she could live this way forever. He already worked for a pacemaker company and knew the medical jargon. So he decided to explore and research everything he could in medical field to see what was going on.

Long story short that interested me was what they have learned about how the neurons in our brain etc that they thought couldn't be rebuilt is not true etc. He talked about diet. I now understand why I cannot do a high protein diet.

He said that protein and fat goes into your stomach and it tells your body sends a message to your body that protein and fat has come in and it will tell your body when you need to stop. Example he used. Most people cannot eat more than 2 boiled eggs. If they try to eat 3 or more, you will feel like throwing up. He said that is because your body knows how much fat/protein it can handle/need at any given time. He said you can crack half a dozen eggs and mix them together and eat it condensed and you have taken out the process your body needs to get the message you've eaten too much. He says it is the same thing when you eat carbs like sugar. Your body is never able to send your brain the message to stop eating so you continue to eat. According to him, THIS IS WHY WE SHOULD NOT EAT PROCESSED FOODS.

Carol Sue I thought about how you and I have talked about how we cannot follow a high fat low carb diet because we don't like too much fat or adding a lot of fat. I recorded the show and will have to watch it again because he talked so fast to get everything in. He talked about the importance of eating greens, veggies, good fats especially Omega3/DHA and protein, but no processed foods. He seems to believe if people would eat this way our health would improve as well as the weight would also correct itself.

The name of his book is Super Health Diet. His name is K. C. Craichy. Amazon.com is out of the book right now, but I noticed there were some used ones available for a few cents. You might could even get it from the library. I'll check the spelling and correct it.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-29-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of authors name
Old 06-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #118  

Trish, I have never heard of this man or this book but I did see it online. I didn't read the reviews. It's not available at the library, so I will wait and see for now. It's possible that he's not a doctor, but a PHD, which is why he would be called doctor.

I have barley in the house all the time because I always put it in my home-made vegetable soup, but I never think of making it otherwise. I should. I liked the couscous, and it didn't really spike my blood sugar considering it is pasta.

I got a call from my cardiologist about my bloodwork. My cholesterol and LDL are very good, but my HDL is too low and my triglycerides are too high, even though they are lower than last time. The doctor just wants me to exercise more. Guess he doesn't know I haven't been exercising at all lately. I rearranged my exercise room so I can see the TV from every piece of equipment and plan on getting back to it now that I'm feeling better. I don't know what was causing my general feeling of yucky, but I started back taking the Kemp with the iodine in it and I feel much better. Much more energy and no more palpitations.

I haven't heard form the PCP. He doesn't call unless there's a problem that involves a medication change. Also, if he is on vacation, he will not see the bloodwork until he comes back. I want to call to make an appointment with him to discuss things and have him look at my eye. I thought what I had was a stye, but although it went down quite a bit and no longer hurts, there's still a little pimple there that I'm wondering about. It's not real noticeable, but I can feel a tiny bump with my finger.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #119  

Carol Sue I hope your eye is okay.

I don't know much about him either, but I did like knowing more about how starchy carbs work in contrast to how fat/protein work to either make us feel satisfied or want to eat more. Still haven't ordered the book. I've had to go back to internet explorer on my laptop and for some reason Amazon won't work on my pc. I will have to get on DH pc to order. I'm also wanting to order one of the Low Carbing Among Friends cookbook, but not sure which one so I won't order anything until I make a decision concerning that. Really doesn't matter right now since Amazon is out of them right now and I can order later.

Well after a month or more eating the way I have been, I'm ending this month with my weight and my fbs up. So I consider this woe a wash. I am going back to my old Carbohydrate Addicts Diet because I do believe some starchy/grain carbs are important in my plan for a lot of reasons. For one thing the right ones keep me regular. I am going to keep the IF 8 hr eating window, but will only eat one carby meal a day. I will be eating low carb meals twice a day or as needed. This worked for me before and I see no reason why it won't now. I just have to make the commitment to it and do it.

BBL
Old 06-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #120  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

Trish, that seems a little bogus to me. Nutrients (sugars, fats, and proteins) are "processed" and absorbed in the small intestines, not the stomach. The break down of eggs in the stomach can release sulfur and create sulfuric acid in the stomach which could lead to upset stomach and "eggy" sulfur burps though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqV04BO_YHc
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote