Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I think you will be okay with what you ate. You may be surprised at how good things look today. One meal off isn't a disaster it is when we let them snowball on us as I've done many times.

I've had leg cramps since I was a young teenager, but I woke up with one of the worst I've ever experienced this morning and then remembered that was one of the major complaints I had with the regular Metformins. And I have only taken them for 2 days so needless to say I am back on the Metformin ER today. I will take it in the evening with a snack. Then when I see the doctor in 3 weeks I will ask him to up it to (2) 500 mg a day instead of the 1. That is what DH takes.

I have figures out how to eat the way I want to eat and keep the calories around 1600 calories depending on what meat we eat at lunch everyday. So calories should remain between 1500 to 1600 cals a day. I probably won't be counting calories or pts. I'm pretty much a routine person so when I get my routine going I'll be fine. I kept my eggs, bacon and double fiber toast for breakfast. Protein and veggies for lunch with milk and I like the WW frozen tv dinners with some added veggies for dinner when I'll take my Metformin ER. That would give me an IF eating 10 hr window with a 14 hr fast. I don't think I will need snacks. If I can do this with 5 hrs between meals, my bs readings will finally settle down to normal and hopefully with the exercise/activity the weight will come off as well. This is a routine that I can live with. I'm drinking warm lemon water first thing each morning which seems to have great benefits especially digestive. I'm not worried too much about the fat in my diet because when I first got back on WW and cut back the fat, I found that my joints began to hurt again. I'm using both eggbeaters and regular eggs because I sometimes like an egg sandwich for breakfast like the egg McMuffin which I fix on double fiber bread and it easier to use eggbeaters for that. My goal is to make fruit my dessert with my meals instead of other cake foods although I have found a few WW ones that I do like on occasion.

As you can see, I have decided not to do low carb because I am never able to stick to it so why bother and set myself up for failure. It is time to just make a plan that I can live with for the rest of my life because it fits me.

We have looked at floor plans until they are all running together. So I finally set down and took certain things that we liked about different house plans and designed one the way we want it. I've got a couple of others I want to play with to see if I can do with them. I love the family/kitchen area in the house we had in FL. I love looking at floor plans and playing with them. I think I could have done that if I had thought of it when I was young. LOL

My oldest DS is coming through here next week. He will be here sometime Wednesday as he drives up to Mass to get his stuff and take it back to TX. Not sure what is going to happen with him and that girl. She is sweet, but her Mother lives with her and she is a trip. I'm not sure but what she will finally break them up which is what she told her daughter that she was going to do. I think my DS is tired of fooling with it.

Well, I better get busy around here. Hope everyone has a really good day.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, my mother broke me up with every guy I dated, and that's why I finally moved out. Not everyone has that option, I know. It's sad, because DH would have been a very good son-in-law for her. I hope things go well for your son.

I think you will do OK with the carbs you are eating as long as they don't raise your blood sugar. Everyone is not cut out for low carb. You are not eating a lot of carbs, and they are high fiber which is good.

I am trying to lower my calories for a while to get this weight moving. I am no longer worrying about not getting enough calories. I know it is not something that I will do every day or for long periods of time, but will not be trying to eat more to get all my recommended calories in. Around 10 AM I had a leftover chicken thigh as I am continuing the "no eggs" for another week. DH thinks it's working, but I think any improvement he's seeing is from the lotion I'm using. The PS is still there, but sometimes lotion just calms it down so it's not so red. I am a better judge of when it's going into remission.

Good luck with your house hunting. I hope you settle on a floor plan that's right for you.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #78  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

Trish- I take magnesium supplements and it has taken care of my leg cramp issues.

Your plan looks really good! I wish you the best with it.

Carol Sue- Yes, you are thinking of the right person on the IE thread and the only thing she was missing was the pitchfork to fun me off with, lol.

I also think you'll be fine with yesterday's meal. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

1000 mg of Met ER at dinner seems to be doing the trick for me. Last two mornings, my FBS has been in the low 90s with no dietary changes.

Sustaining that will be the challenge.

Do either of you food journal? I've never really tried it, but have read that is really is one of the keys to success.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #79  

I journal off and on. I did it daily for 6 months a few years back. Then I had surgery and got away from it. Every day I recorded my BP, FBG, weight, food and exercise. I entered the food on Fit Day. I got down to 181, but after surgery gained back 15-20 lbs, which remain firmly in place today! I would like to get back to it again because I can always look and see what calorie count works best for me and which foods I'm eating that might have too many carbs.

If I could have FBG in the 90's I'd be dancing for joy! Good job!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #80  
One Meal At A Time

I might try the journal...reality hurts, lol

But, thank you re: FBS. Let's see if it lasts.

Oh, since we were talking decorating/home plans, have you girls taken this quiz?

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/decorating-style/quiz/

These sites are also a great way to waste an afternoon, lol

https://www.floorplans.com/house-plans//

http://www.eplans.com/

Let me know if you prefer I not post non-diabetes related stuff. I promise I won't be offended!

Last edited by momwithdogs; 05-26-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #81  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI all: I'm not around much right now because of this building project. After being home for just over a week, we are heading out to the island again on Thursday.
I am sleeping a bit better, and the weight seems to be hovering around 180. I want it lower asap, so hope that working at the cottage will help. I am resolved to exercise and eat reasonable amounts, if not sticking perfectly to plan.
Best wishes to all.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #82  

Elizabeth, I personally don't care if you post non-diabetic things. If it's something I'm interested in I click. Or sometimes I bookmark so I can come back later.

I love to go on Zillow.com and look at pictures of the homes in my area that are for sale. It's surprising the things you learn about your neighbors, how they decorate, color schemes they choose, etc. I'm very nosy!

My weight is starting to come back down. I was as high as 202 last week. I don't know why, except that I know I have not been eating as many veggies as usual. Too many other foods around. I also start getting hip pain when I don't eat enough cruciferous veggies, and my fingernails start to break and crack. I am not going to change my ticker. I will get back to it, and hopefully even lower.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-27-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #83  

Elizabeth Thanks for the sites. I've gone through floorplans.com and zillow.com and another one which I can't remember the name yet. Found a few that I was able to change some inside walls to make them work beautifully. I found another one that we could use without any changes although the kitchen isn't the way I want it, but it would work.

Carol Sue It is nice that your weight is coming back down. I haven't been doing really great for the same reason. DH put the chips away so I can't see them, but they call my name. As my son said today,"It's ok that they call you Mama as long as you don't answer". The problem is that I've been answering.

I told DH today that I'm going to have to think of chips the same way I did when I was losing weight when I first married him. He always kept a large bag of chips on the bottom shelf of the coffee table and I was never tempted to even touch them because I saw them as "poison" to my system. Since my fbs was up to 134 yesterday and 140 today, maybe it really is like poison to my system.

I was going to get some deli meat for sandwiches and snacks but decided not to because when I eat a sandwich I want chips with it. No sandwich meat then no chips. Elizabeth, I've always liked IE, but I guess this is why I can't do IE. There are certain foods that are bad foods for me and they say for us not to think of foods as good and bad.

Anyway, it comes down to me having to get serious about all this again. One problem that I'm experiencing right now that I am not enjoying is the feeling of being so full in my belly. Oh why, oh why can't I get on a low carb woe and stick with it? I do like the light feeling of low carbing. I am eating more fruit and veggies and when I do that it seems to help me a lot. I'm just a bit disgusted with me right now although I'm trying not to get stressed by it.

I'll catch up with y'all tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #84  

Trish, for me, I only like chips if we have French Onion Dip. I don't like salty things and if there's dip on the chips I don't taste the salt. DH likes flavored chips and I only like plain so many times that saves me. I also have some foods that call my name and your DS is correct in saying that's OK as long as you don't answer. LOL

I so agree with you on IE. Part of the reason why I didn't get along with the others on that thread is because I feel that you should be eating nutritious food. I don't agree that the "eat what you want" part of it means eating sweets and salty snacks. I believe that if you stay away from them long enough you will lose your craving for them. There has to be a sense of discipline to this. To me it means don't eat chicken if you really want steak. Eating what I wanted when I wanted is what got me to 200 lbs. IMO sweets should be occasionally, like having some cake on someone's birthday. Not every day or even once a week. Not everyone can eat just a bite of cake and stop. For some it means devouring the whole cake. I think resisting a temptation makes you stronger for the next temptation, and makes you feel good about yourself. Self esteem is such a big part of tackling an eating problem.

I am going to quit saying that I follow Low Carb. To most people, that means 20gm per day and that's not me. I "watch" my carbs, which to me means avoiding bread, pasta, rice, sweets or potatoes, and eating complex carbs like veggies and fruits, even though I don't really like fruit that much. The fact that I've not lost any significant weight in a long, long time tells me that I need to look more closely at my plan and see where I can improve, but giving up vegetables is not going to be it.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #85  
One Meal At A Time

I don't really have a sweet tooth or a salty one for that matter- I'll eat just about anything in really large quantities, if given the chance, lol.

Trish, I really am sorry you are struggling. Maybe you are trying too many different plans right now? Have you taken a look at the No S Diet before?

http://www.nosdiet.com/

Of all the plans out there, this one makes the most sense to me. One thing I like, the designer of this WOE straight out says it might take several tries to get this right and it's more than likely, one will need to tweak it to one's own lifestyle.

I have zero excuses for not sticking to this plan, myself. Well, I could give you a laundry list of reasons why I haven't done it, but it's all just my own personal BS, lol
Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #86  

Elizabeth Thanks for the noSdiet site. I will check it out. I'm having a better day today. You said something in a recent post something about trying to put a name to your diet plan. I have the same problem. Maybe we don't need a name for how we diet. Since I never follow an exact plan, I think I would do better not to worry about what you call it. Maybe it is just learning to eat healthy and sensibly.

Carol Sue I agree with you about eating Intuitively. They teach you that there is no such thing as good/bad foods. Well, that isn't always true especially if you are dealing with something like diabetes. There are some foods that are down right bad for us even to the point that it could kill us eventually or at least lead to complications that could be deadly. However, I do better with the rule... eat only when hungry and eat only as much as it takes to satisfy that hunger and then stop. For us the rule eat whatever you want would have to be... eat what you want from the foods that we know won't harm us (give us a big bs spike). I also like the IF way of eating with it.

In fact, today has been a good day combo of a "healthy food choice" of IE and IF. I wasn't hungry until noon today and I only wanted a PB on bread. I was in too big a hurry to wait for toast so I had a PB sandwich. I had already had my 2 c of coffee so I drank water with it. I didn't eat again until 4:30 pm. So I'm planning just a snack around 8ish so I can take my Januvia and have only an 8 hr eating window. Did I mention that I'm taking the Januvia again. DH is complaining about not being able to taste his food. He is hungry but nothing tastes good. Don't really know if that has anything to do with the Januvia or not. However, his fbs is excellent on it and I think mine was improving when I took it too. He thought that I should keep taking it. I know the pharmacist told me that I need to make myself eat on a schedule because one of the side effects is that people on Januvia forget to eat. Although I don't want to lose my taste for food, I am hoping it will help me curb my appetite. It has done very well with that so far today. Hopefully it will last long enough for me to get into a habit of eating the way and the schedule I'm doing today.

My sister said that the pill she is own keeps her from being hungry. Her fbs is still a little high, but I think she said she has lost 22 lbs. So she is doing so much better.

I talked to someone at the office of the place who builds the houses we are looking at in Waco. I am impressed although I didn't get much info today. I called and left a message and office girl, who only fills in 2 days a week, called me just to tell me she got my call and that the lady who could help me would be back in the office tomorrow and hopefully will be able to call me then to answer my questions. She didn't want me to think they were ignoring me. She also sent me copies of a house I was interested in that I couldn't copy from their website for some reason. Also sent info on what they put in the house. The other company I called and talked to an agent there never returned my call and never sent me the info she promised to email me. So you can see why I'm very happy and impressed with this company. It was like talking to a good friend who wanted to help me. If they allow the adjustments and changes we want to make with the houses we're interested in, we will most likely go with them. They have almost filled up the community we've been looking at, but sometime in August they will start building in a new community they are presently creating in the exact area DH has been looking at and has wanted to move. It is in the town where my DS and her DH live in the same town which is even better. So things are looking good that way. We still have to let his DD and her family know we are moving so DGS can decide if he is going to come back and move to the dorm or move back to FL and go to school down there. He could do either one since he has to go on student loans since he lost his chance at any scholorships.

For my part, I've got to get busy going through things and decide what to keep, what to throw away or given away that I don't want so we can get this house on the market and start packing to move. We will box up and label everything and then have movers load them and furniture when it is time to move. I'm hoping to be moved by the end of this year or the 1st of next year. Hopefully all that activity will help with the weight loss/fbs reading as well. I hope we can make a trip in August to pick out the lot and officially pick the house plan we want so they can start building. A lot to do between now and then. I would like to have this house on market by sometime in July.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #87  

Trish, all this talk about moving is exciting! A new home in a new location, with more family around. It certainly will keep you busy. What is your new house plan like? I think I should pretend I'm moving and get rid of all the things I have that I don't really need.

I whole heartily agree with you that you just need to put together an eating plan that works for you with no name, and stick with that. I'm beginning to think that the different diet plans are just "suggestions" and are meant to be tweaked to our own needs. And they are money makers for the authors, that's for sure.

The only time I was ever really successful at losing was the first time I lost. I still lived with my mother and she wouldn't cook separate for me. I was on my own for breakfast and lunch and I don't really remember what I ate. But for dinner, I ate whatever she cooked in smaller portions. One helping of each, meat, starch and veggie, and nothing else the rest of the evening until breakfast the next day. I went to the Y for one hour of aerobic type exercise but they only had it twice a week, and I didn't do any other exercise. At that time I didn't know anything about losing weight except for eating less. I don't know how many calories I was eating and I didn't even know how many calories were recommended for a young woman. It was after I started reading diet books that I started getting confused. I could probably lose that way again, even eating the small portion of starch at dinner, if I could stick to no other eating throughout the day except for my 3 meals. I was doing IE and IF without even knowing what it was.

As far as IE is concerned, eating until satisfied is the key, but I think if all you want is junk food, you are not going to lose weight or be healthy.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #88  

Carol Sue You are exactly right. The way you ate was pretty much the way I are growing up except I only ate 2 meals a day. Then when I lived with my aunt and when I married DH #2, I was convinced that it was unhealthy to eat only 2 meals a day (I was actually eating 1 meal and a small snack a day when we married) and of course the weight came on. When I was extremely active growing up and when I lived with my aunt and just before I married Hubby #2, I did loads of walking. So weight was coming off. But my hubby's family not only taught me to eat 3 meals a day, but when I gained weight they taught me to diet. And so I've been on that diet roller coaster off and on for 50 yrs.

I told DH today, I think I'm tired of dieting. I've been eating "health" according to some "diet" book or plan for 50 yrs and I'm still doing it and I still weigh about what I weighed when I first went on an actual diet plan. I'm beginning to think that "diet" food is a crutch that doesn't work. You know I worked with a lady once who said she once weighed over 200 lbs and she was tiny. When I asked her how she lost it, she said "I eat what my family eats, but I just eat a spoonful of each food that is served". No diet, no deprivation. She just ate regular food but only ate less. I've often wondered if maybe that is how I should eat. In fact, I like eating at Golden Coral. I've heard people say that they have a difficult time eating at a buffet, but I find it easy to eat there. I just get a little bit of each food I want which sometimes works out to be just a bite or two. And I'm always satisfied but never stuffed when I'm through. I think because I know I can go back there again sometime. I love carrot cake and only have a small piece to finish off my meal. I make it a habit to never eat that dessert any other place and will not buy one to bring home. So I found it quite interesting that you mentioned eating a little bit of regular food. I think it would be helpful for hubbies like ours.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #89  

That was getting so long so I though I would write a new one since it is about the move.

Last night, DH told me we had an email from the original builder's office that I really wanted to build a house for us. Turns out that the girl that promised to send me some info wanted this lady to help me. She didn't know that when she called me and since I had talked to the girl, we had just left it at that although I had later learned that I really wanted this woman to help me. I didn't know how to switch to her without being rude to the girl.

I can take one of their floor plans and switch out and change it any way I want. She said "This is your home not ours and our goal is to get you into your dream home". The are opening up a new community in the area DH wanted to move, but lots won't be ready to pick until around September. Their homes are much better quality while the other place is modular and I probably won't be able to change much of anything with them. DH wants to expand the garage which isn't very big to start with and he wants 3 car garage, but the don't add them to all houses and when they do they look very tacky. So I am glad to know we can get a good quality house built where we want it.

But there is a problem. Houses in this neighborhood are selling way lower than what I want to sell my house for. However, my house is bigger and since we designed it, it has some extra things most don't have. I'm not sure we if we can get what we want for this house. Also, my sister's house in the area where we want to move is is worth a lot less than what my house is worth here and she was telling me about their property taxes and she pays a little over $700 more than we do here. The school tax in that area is higher because they are the best schools in the whole Waco area. I just imagine that is why so many people are moving out there is for the better school district because the Waco schools are a nightmare. They have been for years. If we can't get enough out of our house so that we can build a house and move and have what I want left over, we won't be moving. But we do have a little longer to find out. So we will do a lot of praying and see how it all works out. I figure if it is supposed to happen the Good Lord open the doors and show us the way. He has the plan.

I'm not going to get excited until I pick out the lot and sign the papers with a down payment. LOL That way I won't be disappointed if it doesn't work out.

Have a blessed weekend.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #90  

That's a big step, Trish. If you contract to build the house, aren't you committed to it no matter what you get for your house? That is scary to me. I hope it all works out for you.
Closed Thread