Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Fatmad I wondered where you were. Sorry you have been having problems get on 3fc. Glad you could finally check again.

Momwithdogs Thanks. I honestly believe that I need to be listening to my gut feelings more often. I don't do that enough. I love fruit and veggies, but also like more carby foods that I believe are important too. So going in that direction. Also thanks for sharing how you take your Metformin. The Pharmacist had told me in the beginning that many of the problems that people have with it is that they take it wrong. She told me to always take it with food. Yesterday we went out for burgers and I took it in the middle of the meal rather than before and so far so good. I do hope I will be able to stay on it.

Carol Sue Glad you fbs is moving down again. CALP worked good for me before, but no more. I think if I was doing a Atkins type low carb that I might could throw an occasional RM when I couldn't eat the very low carb meal. It came in so handy especially holidays but now I have to do this a little different.

I think DH is going to finally work with me on getting control of our bs. He said last night that if I couldn't take the diabetic meds and he can't afford the Invokana and doesn't qualify tor the free program that we will have to get busy and exercise more. I told him that when I got control before that I exercised 45 minutes a day.

One of the other things that I've decided to do is to take the Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar book that I bought and pick out foods that we both like that are low to medium GL. I am loving lintels. I think those are going to be an evening meal at least 2 or 3 days a week. We are going to the grocery store and Lowe's this afternoon. DH is so picky that I'm going to make him take the book and make a list of the foods he likes so I can plan our main meal around his likes. It will be so much easier if we can work at this together. It is so stressful trying to cook foods that are good for both of us when he doesn't really like a lot of veggies that I like. This way I can plan our main meal around his likes and my second meal around mine.

There was a plan I always said that I would follow if I ever lived normal hours. It was called Fit For Life by (I think) the man named Diamond. And the 1st doctor who diagnosed me with diabetes not only approved of it but he also told me that was the way his wife ate. She was one of his nurses and tiny. They were oriental and "health" nuts. I also remember the man who ran the health food store where that doc and my family and I shopped had a saying about the way fruits and veggies work in our bodies. He would stress to me saying "Now remember... veggies are the broom and fruits are the mop that keeps your body clean". On that plan you eat your fruit by itself in the morning between hours 4am to noon. Meals are eaten between noon and 8pm. and nothing betwee 8pm till 4am. I don't do the combining the way he says and I also use dairy which he says humans do not need. I don't use that much when eating this way so will tweak that part to fit me.

Now that I'm working more for health than weight loss, I am going to use the Cycle of eating from FFL, but use The Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar book as a guideline for the foods I will eat on this program. I use the low GL fruits less than 10g in the morning and use the moderate GL is 11-19g. Supposedly this will lower my fbs and hopefully with added exercise the weight will come down too. I noticed glancing through this book that it also says to eat 3 grains a day. I remember that the low carb book I had for dummies said that we should eat a minimum of 3 grains a day and she claimed that the weight would just fall off. I don't know how that will work at my age but it is worth finding out.

Sorry so wordy. Y'all have a nice day.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Nothing's really new with me today, just checking in.

Trish, I was reading a diabetes forum this morning and some people were mentioning that when their weight went down, their blood sugar went up. I remember some people mentioning that on this thread in the past. I didn't see anything that said why this happens. I guess it doesn't necessarily happen to everyone. Back to the old "we're all different" theory.

It's a forum that I just read once in a while for information, but I don't take much stock in what they believe. Most feel that oral meds should never be used for diabetes. Either control it with diet and exercise or inject insulin. I don't agree with that, so I would rather not post than have everyone gang up on me.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-24-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #63  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

Happy Friday!

DH and I are off to Santa Fe tomorrow morning; we just looked at the map and figured why not, lol. Only going for the one night, but I am looking forward to the break.

Patty- I have never tried met at the beginning of a meal; I prefer to have some food in my stomach when I take medication, unless the directions specifically say to take it without food.

I hope everyone else is struggling as little as possible. I had a piece of cake before bed last night and my FBS was 108 this morning. On the one hand, that is much higher than I like- on the other hand, the little voice in my head tells me 108 isn't bad...trying to justify it.

I have got to learn that none of my efforts are going to show immediate gratification and that things might get worse before they get better.

Seriously; keep reminding me of that one!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #64  

Momwithdogs Enjoy your break. I'ved tried taking the Met every way possible and still experienced potty issues. Didn't even get all my groceries had to come home. Still having a little bit of the problems today. So not taking it any more.

Carol Sue Since I read what I did by Dr. Fung, I got the impression that you get the bs under control before the weight comes off. You lose some, but not a lot until you get the bs right. I was reading some in the Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar while DH was in getting blood draw for PT and it says exercising 30 minutes at least 3 days a week helps lower bs. I've got 3 days done for this week and plan to do one more tomorrow for 4 days this week. I will do 5 days next as I figure if I go back to doing 30 minutes 5 days a week that should help a lot when it comes to lowering bs. Saw some other things in that book that I seemed to have missed last time so will be reading it again.

Other than the potty issue yesterday which seems to be hanging on till I get the Met out of my system, my eating was mostly GL/diabetic friendly foods. Told the nurse when she called today with results of DH lab work that we can't pay $200 dollars a month for Invokana and that I can't take the Met ER. Now that I know that I have to do this with diet and exercise, I will just get busy and do it. Well, while typing this, I got a call from the nurse that the doctor is calling in a prescription for both DH and me as he is putting us on Januvea (probably spelling that wrong). I'll have to read up on that one now as I've never taken it. If I'm not mistaken, I think Ruth is or was on that one. I'll get that tomorrow when I go to the beauty shop and then finish my shopping. I will still use the Magic Foods guidelines for GL and work at getting things under control with the diet, exercise and the new medicine.

I have been craving grapefruit for weeks so now start my day by eating grapefruit with my 1st cup of coffee in the morning. I've switched to decaf since the MF book says it is better for blood sugar. My sister laughed saying, "That is really bad when you crave grapefruit". LOL But it is good for lowering inflammation so I decided that maybe my body was telling me something. When I decided to eat, I had a small helping of oatmeal with strawberries, yogurt and chia seeds which are blood sugar friendly as well as good for lowering cholesterol. Sticking to the lower than 10g GL fruits.

So I'm coming at this from an eat healthy way of eating rather than thinking diet to lose weight. Although I didn't eat a whole serving of oats, it will still count as 1 of the 3 grain carb foods today.

I probably won't be on here again until Monday. I've got to stop staying on this pc so much. Have a nice weekend everybody.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #65  

Here's a link I found on another forum. Lots of good information for anyone who's interested. I haven't read all of it, but I like what I've read so far.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/2015...is-killing-us/
Old 04-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #66  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone: just a quick hello again.
I did a lot of gardening this past weekend, I was on call but things were quiet.
I am teaching courses on Friday and Saturday, so will be prepping until then. Am a little nervous, as I did the teacher training in September, so am not so sure of myself. I pretty much have to review it all over again.
I am steady with weight, but no downward momentum.
I am not exercising as much as I would like to be doing either.
Only I have control over my next moves. Its up to me.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #67  

Just a quick flyby. Got my new medicine. Can't tell if it is working, but I'm not having any side effects. I don't know anyone who is or has taken Januvia so not sure about it. I read that when you take Januvia that you have to diet and exercise for it to work. So I am doing both. I did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike and my 10 minutes back exercises. Plus I'm trying to be more active as I'm beginning to do some spring house cleaning. I want to get rid of all of this clutter. I know I am convinced that have to really work at getting this bs under control. I didn't lose or gain any weight this week and fbs was down to 142. At least it is back in the 140s. Hopely with the exercise and diet it will keep coming down.

Fatmad I am sure you will do very well teaching your classes. I know I've learned a lot from you over the years.

Carol Sue Thanks for the site. I'll check it out although I am following more of a Glycemic Load/IE plan right now.

I wonder if anyone can share with me about their experience with Januvia? I would appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #68  

Trish, I don't know anything about Januvia except what's online. I don't know anyone who takes it. Someone else might, though. I hope it works well for you.

I just posted that site because it's about Diabetes and someone might be interested in reading it. I haven't even read all of it yet. GL is a very good WOE. I've read a lot about it. I know you don't really want to read anymore about other plans, but I still do. I don't necessarily want to try them, but I just like to see what's out there and I usually get good information even if I never try the actual plan. I know that Low Carb is the only thing that keeps my blood sugar down and I have done that for so long and nothing else works as well for me. You know, one size .........
Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #69  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

Good morning!

Back from my quick Santa Fe trip; met with snow, rain and hail on the drive home.

Wannab- Thank you for posting that link and I do agree, verbage is everything. I am a little concerned that the author mentioned she 'cured' herself, but I guess offering others some hope isn't always a bad thing.

Patty- Do you prefer to be called Trish? I have never taken Januvia and only know what my doctor said- she has seen an increase in patients suffering with recurrent yeast infections with the meds, male and female. She suggests taking a daily probiotic with it.

I have never had luck with low carbing it. My BS drops too low and within an hour of my meal, I start shaking and sweating.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #70  

Momwithdogs, there are some people who get low blood sugar without even being diabetic, but I've heard that it can be a sign of diabetes in some people. I have only had low blood sugar once, and that was a result of taking Glimiperide. Over the years, we have had a saying here "One size does not fit all." We offer each other ideas and support, but we realize that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. We each have to find our own plan.

I also don't like to hear anyone say they "cured" their diabetes. You CAN get it under control with diet and exercise without meds, but you have to continue that lifestyle or it will once again rear it's ugly head. But there are some people who use the word "cured" very loosely.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #71  

Momwithdogs I have had my diabetes under control twice, but when my weight gets above 200 it comes back.

Carol Sue Thanks for the website. I decide to bookmark it and read it. I've decided to make up my own personalized low carb diet plan. I'm giving up bread and starches I'll say 95% of the time. I've worked out my timing as well as the type of foods I will be eating. Typed it out and put it on the refrigerator. I think the website will help me with any tweaking that I might should do. I am keeping my fruit and milk in the plan which will be more of a moderate low carb. I really think my plan is more like 2nd phase of South Beach Diet with some tweaks.

I saw on the low carb site I frequent with where some of those people do a combination of Atkin's/SBD/Paleo or some other combination. Thus the personal plan.

Have a good day.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #72  

Trish, I use the term "low carb" but most people think of that as 20gm of carb or less. I am probably doing closer to a moderate carb, but I just use the low carb term, because it IS lower carb than I used to eat. Unfortunately, I think restricting carbs is necessary for a diabetic, even though we would all really like to have the carbs. I really miss bread, pasta and rice. I do eat them occasionally, but my blood sugar is much better when I don't.

I think that site has more information than just low carb. I think I saw her comment on leaving 3-4 hours between meals to let your blood sugar come back down. That's one thing I'm bad about. I have a tendency to graze which is really a bad thing for diabetes. I know what I am supposed to do, but I have a lot of bad habits, and they are what got me in this mess in the first place. I would love to be able to eat sandwiches like I did before. And a big plate of spaghetti. Pizza. It's just not in my best interest and the sooner I realize that the better off I will be.

Another diabetes site I was reading said that you can't just take your medicine and think it's going to take care of it. When you have diabetes you have to work at it, and that's so true.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #73  

Carol Sue I'm not only reading the site you shared, but I've shared it with many friends and family members because she shares info that I've never even heard before. And I am convinced. I joined so I can read the ebook as I just can't read all the info at one sitting. I will start eating the low carb and mostly use her pyramid. I will start eating low carb tomorrow. I like the fact that her pyramid allowed fruit along with veggies and protein and dairy. I believe I can live with that. It will take me a while to get past the desire for sweets and pasta, bread etc, but I have done that before and I will do it again.

I don't like the side effects of the Januvia that I read about so my goal is to get things under control so I can come off the meds. That with the exercise I do should help me to do just that.

Thanks for sharing the site.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #74  

I found this site for the Low Carb Pyramid that was shown on the site that Carol Sue shared.

http://www.edify.net.au/food_pyramid.php
Old 04-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #75  

Thanks for sharing that Food Pyramid, Trish. I haven't read the whole site and didn't see that yet. One think I noticed that it said was if you eat this way and don't lose weight you should cut down on portions. I know that is my problem, and also, I don't stay away from bread, pasta and rice 100%. And I do eat sweets occasionally. It is very hard to give these things up completely. They are everywhere.

I am going to try to remember where I found that link. I'd like to go back and see if there's any more useful information. It was one of the forums that I browse through occasionally, but don't always remember.
Closed Thread