Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Madeleine The article on the rice was interesting. I have a book on RS foods. I never was sure about it and never tried it. I really thought it was just a way to eat starchy foods and didn't give it a try because I was on Atkins at the time I got it. I'll have to pull it out and look at it a little closer. If I remember and understood it right, the picture I saw of oatmeal the oatmeal didn't look thoroughly cooked to me. As I said, I wasn't too interested back then and never was quite sure why I even purchased it. I'll check it out. It will be interesting to see if it works with pasta.

Carol Sue Where are you? Are you okay? Maybe this was your week end with your DGS and you are busy with him. Hope all is well.

My weight was down today, but fbs was 133. Been kind of hanging in the 130s right now.

Madeleine I like the fact that I can have fruit and veggies for almost 0 pts but I don't like that plan is that the protein and the starchy foods are extremely high pts. I thought I could work the low carb into it, but I don't think so.

I'm thinking that as much as I hate counting calories, that is probably going to be the main way to go for me.

Bonnie, Shannon, and others

Have a nice evening.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #122  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default I started this low carb thing & have a HUGE issue.

Hi, to all..First of all I'm hypothroid, and it's the pain of the century for dieting. I read that low carb is best for that disease,and so I went at it two weeks ago. all gung ho. First BIG plus, I feel great physically…I'm sleeping better,more energy,and I figure it must be due to low carbing.
I have not had ONE PIECE OF BREAD,OR POTATOES,OR RICE,OR PASTA,OR SUGAR in two WEEKS! (This is the killer part,) I have not lost one pound! I'm so disappointed I can't see straight. I'm going to continue on,and I realize that hypothyroidism makes my metabolism crawl, & difficult to lose, but still..If I'm going to do this then there should be a drop..I should be losing. I walk,and lift weights. and drink lots of water…I don't want to just whine about this,so if anyone has been in this spot I sure would appreciate your advice, on getting out of it.
choices~
Mod Note: Edited to make font more readable. I just used the default font and size.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #123  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI choices, and welcome!

So glad the low carb is making you feel better, but not losing weight on it is really frustrating.
Do you see your doc regularly and get regular blood work to tweak your meds? Which meds are you on? If its ok with your doctor, you might find a kelp supplement to be helpful too. Are you also diabetic? Which meds are you on?
If so, this sounds like metabolic syndrome, which is so difficult to treat. We can hope with time, that your insulin resistance will get better.

For my part, definitely am fighting a virus of some kind. Sore throat and mild congestion, and just feeling crummy for now.
Just gonna rest and drink tea as much as possible.

have a good Monday friends.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My grandson was here this weekend. That's always challenging. LOL

I've been having trouble with my elbow, painful swelling. I made a DR appointment for Wednesday. I hope he can take care of it and not have to send me to someone else. As far as I know, I didn't hurt it in any way.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #125  

Choices Sorry your struggling with the weight loss on low carb. My experience was to lose a few lbs up front and then nothing for a while. I've heard that some lose better than others. I've learned there are so many things like fatmad said even meds than interfere with it.

Madeleine I found my books on the Resistant Starch. Now I know why I didn't give it a chance which makes me wonder even more why I bought it because it is called the The Carb Lovers Diet. I even got the cookbook that goes with it. I think because of how tired I get eating carbs, I was afraid to try it. At this point I just might change my mind since I'm having a difficult time doing anything right now.

One thing I noticed was green bananas have a higher Resistant Starch grams than ripe. I do remember reading in the book that they have less sugar content. A 1/2 c of uncooked/toasted oatmeal is recommended. Top Resistant Starch foods seems to be Banana, green, oatmeal, uncooked/toasted, lentils, cooked, potatoes, cooked and cooled, pasta, cooked and cooled, potatoes, boiled (skin & flesh) to name a few. After reading the link you shared, I see there just might be something to it.

Company on their way for coffee. Catch y'all later. Y'all have a good day. Hope you feel better Madeleine.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #126  

Carol Sue Sorry about the elbow. Hope doc can help you. Glad you checked in, but understand that it might be uncomfortable to type.

Madeleine There is lots of info on the Resistant Starch online. The book was researched and written to share by Health magazine. Here is website that explains how they think it works. However, you can read more on the Health magazine website. Here is link at webtv

http://www.webmd.com/diet/carb-lovers-diet

I think it is similar to what I've learned about eating beans etc along with other foods. Maybe more like Glycemic Load woe. It seems that these Resistant Starch foods are not digested so they don't enter the blood stream so they don't raise glucose.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-30-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #127  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Trish, thanks for the link. Not really interested, i think I will stick to low carb when possible. After doing well yesterday and most of today, I caved and had some tortellini for supper when DD and DH were having some. I was tired and had a hard work day, and caved. Just wanted easy. If someone had made salad and chicken, would have happily had that. but they didn't. argh. sometimes family undermines us without trying. But I am responsible for myself. dang.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 AM   #128  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Still struggling with this cold/sinus infection that started last Tuesday but past the worst of it, I think. Back on plan for two days now, yay!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #129  

Shannon Sorry you have been sick. Glad you are feeling better.

Madeleine I knew you might not be interested in doing it, but I do think that it would help to know that times like last night with your DD and DH won't be disastrous once in a while when it happens. You do so well on the low carb and it has always worked so well for you. I think as long as you do low carb 90% of the time that the few times you have to do something else or slip will not be worth the guilt trip we so often fall into. I'm thinking that since stress is a HUGE problem for diabetic control that if we can get out from under the stress we put ourselves under when we slip would help us a whole lot.

I ate more along the line of the Resistant Starch Glycemic Load theory and did it Intuitively and I had a great day. Didn't have any cravings, ate only when I was hungry and ate what I wanted "portion" controlled by hunger/satisfaction not allowing myself to eat beyond that point stopping short of being full. I ended up eating only 2 meals and a snack. And I didn't eat anything after 7ish last night. This is how I ate when DH and I got married and I effortlessly lost a lot of weight. I actually got down to 165 back then. No food restrictions means I can have anything I want which does away with cravings because I can have it if I want it. I usually find that I have no cravings and don't want the things I usually cannot have on a diet. I going to do this for a while to see if it will work for me as good as it did years ago. I'll let you know how it works for me.

Can't remember if I shared this with y'all or not, but our insurance will not cover the new medication DH is on. I called the pharmacy to see how much it cost without insurance coverage and it is way over 300 dollars almost 400. So that is out. I told the pharmacist what I read on the product online and I didn't think DH qualifies for it free because we are on Medicare. He said that he has customers who are on the 1 yr free program who are on Medicare so maybe our doctor will know how to get DH on it. I won't be here to call the nurse today, but will check with her tomorrow. I hope we can get it for him.

Headed to Costco today to get a few things that I only buy there. Have a great day and I'll catch y'all later.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

March is over! Come on over to the new thread!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...ml#post5149043

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-01-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Closed Thread