Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Dgramie Great job with the 96 fbs. You obviously have what is working for you.

Couldn't get in touch with my sister this morning which was strange. Stranger was that she didn't return my call. I decided to check on her this afternoon when I went to ride the recumbent bike and she answered with "I'm kind of down right now". When I asked what was wrong, she said "My doctor told me today that I'm diabetic". I think she felt better when we hung up. I tell you this makes me more determined to get this under control so I can help her and inspire her. He was putting her on some medication that is supposed to help her lose weight, but she couldn't remember what it was. She was waiting for him to call her to tell her what he wants her to do. I am the oldest and have to be an example for her.

I've had a pretty good day. I ate breakfast and had lunch about 6 hrs later which means that I won't be having dinner. I will have the scrambled eggs for a snack in a couple of hours before I go to bed. Wasn't AI, but was still lowcarb. I even got my 30 min on the recumbent bike. I'm pleased.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I'm sorry to hear that your sister has diabetes, but with all you have learned, you can help her. She's lucky to have you.

We went out for dinner and I got the soup and salad bar. They had red wine vinegar and I put some on my salad and it was sooo good. I got a cup of chili instead of soup because I wanted the beans. Two hours post prandial is 170. I was going to take a half of a glimiperide but I decided to wait until bedtime and have the scrambled egg and see what that does. I am so glad I am no longer getting those 200s.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-26-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #138  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

new article, should convince you to avoid prepared foods and stick to real food!

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...d-obesity-mice

soy lecithin is a common emulsifier.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #139  
Madeleine

HI all:

Welcome back Shannon, and happy to hear from you.

Re the new atkins books. I don't have a problem with the information per se, but the "diet plan" uses a lot of atkins products. They have numbers of net carbs that make no sense to me, or anyone who practises atkins.
many people use the plan in DANDR (dr atkins new diet revolution) the original book. if you understand better from the new book though, thats great. Just avoid the prepared foods. bars and shakes should be emergency food (I take some with me when working. If I am stuck somewhere for long periods and the only foods around are not on plan, I will have a shake or bar) .

Trish, I am fudging with atkins and LC to some degree. I eat a carrot from time to time. Maybe what I do is more like level 2 instead of induction.
but I am making sure I really get enough fat. It makes a huge difference in satisfaction. The advantage of eating an avocado or something, is that it is such a "good" fat. and its yummy

I had blood work done yesterday, so by Monday I should have results.
blessings to everyone, and hope we all stay warm.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #140  

Mad I have found that the Atkin bars give me diarrhea because of the sugar alcohols and I've got a few of the diet meals, but haven't found one that I like yet. I have those and the shakes for emergency meals or a quick meal without cooking. However, I have to say that I will not be buying the bars and won't be replacing the dinners either. I actually got the dinners for ideas on what to eat, but my problem is that I don't like the way they are seasoned.

I read more of the Dr. Fung materials and I am going to go back to eating 3 meals a day with no snacks. Even the New Atkins book says to eat only when you are hungry. However, they suggest not going more than 6 hrs without eating. Dr. Fung material says when you eat 6 meals that your bs is never allowed to go back down which causes our body to resist insulin more and cause us to gain weight. I thought of the Diabetic Miracle book that says wait 5 hrs. This gives our body time to bring the insulin down and stay down for a few hrs. I do like the eat within 10 hrs and fast for 14 hrs.

Carol Sue I agree with you that this fits within the guidelines of my IE/IF woe. In fact, he talked about how we could go back to eating the way our mothers and grandmothers told us to eat in the 50s and we would be fine. They taught us not to eat snacks or sweets. Well, most Mothers did, mine was a chocoholic so we did eat sweets. Strangely thing about me is I grew up not wanting sweets. I've always said that once I experienced blood sugar problems, I seemed to crave the stuff.

Any way, it makes sense to me and it is the way I ate when left alone to eat my own way, so I'm going to go for it. I remember a doctor I had years ago before I ever diabetes who asked me "Have you ever had a diet or eat when you were thin?" I told him that I did. He said "Go back to eating that way again." That is what I'm going to do. I'm just going to eat the way I did when I was "naturally" thin and never ever thought of "dieting".

Have a great day.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #141  

I talked to my sister this morning and she sounded good. I've shared a lot of info with her and she is reading and feeling more optimistic. I'm still reading and sharing from what I read in the Dr. Fung articles. It kind of takes all I've been reading and learning recently in other books and seems to bring it all together so that I am understanding more and more. I feel like I finally have what I've been looking for. A way to eat healthy without thinking about food/diet all the time. I am tracking things on MFP for now until I get used to how I'm eating so I can make it a lifestyle rather than just another diet.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #142  
Madeleine

Trish: LOL, if I ate the way I did when I was young and "naturally thin" I would weigh 300 pounds. I overate and had lots of sweets and candy.
I snacked constantly. I know there were times I didn't eat but I did go overboard.
For whatever reason I didn't gain then, it all changed when I started working nights. The messing with the my schedule has affected me permanently, so I have no illusions that going back is going to happen for me.
I am very interested in the research going on about gut bacteria and weight.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:05 AM   #143  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Trish I'm sorry to hear about your sister but I think it's a real blessing that she has someone so close to talk to about it. I'm sure you will be a great source of information, encouragement and inspiration for her!

Happy Friday! (well, it's Saturday now)
I stupidly drank a diet soda at dinner tonight and it's 2 am and I not even the slightest bit tired and I have already taken my melatonin!! The past two weeks with everything being cancelled, we have really gotten out of our normal sleeping schedule. We have been going to bed later and later and getting up later, it's real mess! I do much better when we get up earlier and go to bed earlier. (I am referring to Olivia and myself, there is NO helping the DH, he stays up watching TV everynight til all hours no matter what).

I'm slowly getting all my technology issues fixed. The new laptop has Windows 8 and it is totally different from whatever I had before, I am really struggling to get used to the differences. I do all our bill paying online and need to get up to speed quick bc I've got bills due in the next week! DH set up my new cell phone tonight. He claims it is "just like your old phone" but I disagree - another thing to get used to! I am GRATEFUL though!! With the phone, we were going to buy a new one (the charging port stopped working on the actual phone) but when he called to cancel our account the provider offered to overnight a new phone. I was pretty impressed with that considering I have NO CONTRACT with them! I have been with them month to month since I left my job in 2012 so I guess they are rewarding me for being a good customer :-) The iPad is still not charging right - no idea, could be the charger. I might have to buy a cheap replacement to see.

I had my weekly weigh in today and was happy to see a loss, last week I actually gained (so many cheat days that week). So, for February I lost almost 8 lbs! Yay!

I wanted to tell ya'll about my Dreamfields experiment. This new plan allows the use of Dreamfields. I had never had it bc it was strongly discouraged in my LCHF groups last year. I had been eating my homemade spaghetti sauce just by itself and I was fine with that but decided to try the Dreamfields since it was allowed. I cooked exactly one serving of the angel hair variety and had it with my meat sauce, shredded cheese and a salad with ranch. I tested at the 1 and 2 hour marks and got 130 and 110. I was very happy with that so I may continue to enjoy it - will test again the next time just to confirm. I have to cook mine separate from the other but it only takes 5 min so it's really not a big deal. I don't know if I can get DH to switch, frankly I think it tastes the same but he is like a master taster when it comes to any changes I make.

I sat down tonight to review my goals for the year and how I've been doing and I'm pretty happy so far but I did make a thorough list of things to work on in March including EARLIER BEDTIMES!! I also need to work more on meal planning. This new plan has actually helped me in that area in that I do have to have some kind of plan in order to follow the foundation of the plan - separating carbs from fats. So, I've been trying to have at least 3 meal ideas for the week and then when I make them is flexible. Also, last week I actually prepped breakfast for 3 days on Sunday night. I made these yummy breakfast burritos with eggs, bacon, cheese, salsa and low carb tortillas that you freeze and then reheat. DH actually liked those (I made his with sausage). It was kind of funny though to be scrambling a dozen eggs at one time!

I have more to say but better get myself into bed, even though I'm not tired. I'm hoping it will lull me to sleep!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #144  

I have stayed low carb for 4 days now. I say low carb as I have not had any starch...bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. I know that veggies contain carbs. My blood sugar is better than it was, but still not good. Since I am trying to lower my insulin levels I have only been taking half a gm of glimiperide when absolutely needed, and yesterday I took none. My blood sugar would be lower if I took it, but it increases insulin secretion and I don't want that. I have never had my insulin levels checked so I might look into that with my doctor. I hope I don't have to go back to taking it regularly. According to DR Fung, nothing between meals and a longer IF period will lower insulin secretions, so I am trying to make this work. I have tried so many other things, and this is one I have not tried before.

The past 2 days I have had nothing between meals, except for the scrambled egg at bedtime. 2 eggs doesn't work. It has to be only 1 egg. I might even cut my breakfast back to only 1 egg. I am eating smaller portions, and noticing hunger as real hunger, not just appetite. Hunger is uncomfortable, but not life threatening. I have been having mostly 2 meals a day in 8 hours. I will add the egg at bedtime as long as it is lowering my FBG.

I have lived a life of grazing, thinking that as long as it's low carb it's OK. Now I'm learning that I should not be eating between meals at all, as any food you eat, even if it's low carb, causes an insulin response. When I was growing up, there wasn't anything to eat between meals. My mother had just enough money to buy food for our meals. Cake was a treat for someone's birthday. 5 family members, 5 birthday cakes a year. Once a month she went downtown and always brought us a treat of candy. A bag of gum drops usually, and when that was gone, that was it until next month. It wasn't until I was old enough to go out and get a job that I started to eat differently. Buying snacks whenever I wanted them, eating socially with friend without regard to hunger or mealtime. I want to go back to the way I ate when I was a kid and my mother was providing the meals.

Mad, I also believe there is something to the gut bacteria theory.

I also have heard about those who could eat whatever they wanted and it had no effect, until they got older, or had lifestyle changes such as your schedule changes, that made it catch-up with them later in life. I now believe that it WAS having an effect on their bodies, but it could not be seen in the form of weight gain. It was gradually changing their bodies over time until it got to the point that the body could no longer fight it and they gained weight.

I do eat carrots, ever since DrFurhman said that the nutritional value of carrots far outweighs the carb count. I mostly eat a combo of broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and baby carrots, so I'm getting 3 or 4 baby carrots at a time. It's not the carrots that are hurting my weight loss. I have many more serious food issues.

Shannon, I'm glad to hear that this new plan is working for you. I think maybe DH would eat Dreamfields. He is not big on regular pasta, so the change might be to his liking.

EDIT: I just googled the nutrition info on Dreamfields angel hair. The only difference there is between that and the angel hair I buy now is 3 gm of fiber per 2 oz portion. I don't know if it would be worth it for us since we only have it about once a month. I don't doubt the blood sugar results you had. It doesn't really spike my blood sugar either, but mine is a lot higher than yours overall.

Trish, I have been tracking, too, and paying more attention to my nutrient percentages.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-28-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #145  

Quick flyby. Staying on "my plan" eating only 3 meals a day giving my insulin time to come back down in between meals so staying away from snacks. Not going to use the nighttime egg unless I have to. Going to try this without it for now. I am back to eating with guidelines from the dummies book on lowcarbing. This is day 2 OP. Weight is starting to slowly inch down again a fraction each day on the scales and fbs is coming down too. I check before I eat breakfast and since I usually go 5 to 6 hrs between breakfast and lunch, I check before lunch and bs has been even lower before lunch. I haven't checked before dinner but will start doing that tomorrow. I'm happy with the way things are going.

Today when we had our usual Saturday pizza, I was making my salad with oil and vinegar per Magic Foods book to keep the pizza meal carb friendly. DH came in and saw the wine vinegars sitting on the island where I was working and asked me if that was the vinegar that I use with the olive oil. I told him yes and made the statement that I always make my salad with it because it helps keep my blood sugar a balanced meal. He said "I think I'll try that next time I have a salad". Shocker. Hope he will go for it and like it.

I think we are all doing good. Practice, practice and it will get better.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #146  

I wanted to mention a new product I tasted in WalMart. FlatOut Flatbreads. They had spread them with a cream cheese type spread and rolled them up and sliced them for an appetizer. It was good. I looked at the package and they have a lower net carb count. They are big, oval shaped, about 12 inches long and 7 inches across and come in different flavors, such as whole grain, italian, etc. It showed a picture of using them as a pizza crust that looked interesting. I think the net carbs were about 8 or 9 and also protein around 7-9 gms. They are big enough that you could probably cut them in half and make 2 wraps with one if you wanted to. I didn't buy them because DH wouldn't eat them and I don't eat a lot of sandwich type meals, but I might buy them to make appetizers the next time I have a get-together. They were sold on a separate display near the deli. Google them.

Yesterday was not a good day for me. I did well all day until dinner. I tried a new recipe. I put some plain greek yogurt on boneless skinless chicken breasts, then a mixture of panko bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese and spices, and baked it in the oven. I ate it, but I didn't like the taste of the coating. I think it needed more spices. And I didn't like the texture of the chicken. Other than that I just had vegetables with butter. I didn't feel satisfied. My hunger was satisfied, but because I didn't enjoy the meal I kept craving something else. In the evening I ate some cheese crackers and sunflower seeds. Then I had my egg at bedtime but my FBS still went up, and I think that was because I didn't fast between dinner and bedtime. I know that we both enjoy our meat cooked plain, without any coatings, sauces or gravies and I should have known better than to try it. I know that eating something I really enjoy is satisfying and something I don't enjoy is not. Hunger has nothing to do with it.

Nothing else I have been reading online mentions IF for Insulin Resistance the way DR Fung does. I have requested a couple books on Insulin Resistance from the library to see if they have any other good information. After last night, I really see the difference between the fasting and not fasting.

Just looked at the calendar and realized that March has come in like a lion! I've started the new thread for March.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...ml#post5137530

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-01-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Closed Thread