Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

BS was up a little to 114 this morning, but weight was down back in the 214 range. I think the bs being up is because I didn't do the little tricks I've learned to do to keep it low. I ate a little more protein than I should have yesterday. I read once that women don't need so much protein. I also hadn't had my oatmeal in a few days and had no cinnamon. That breakfast with cinnamon first thing in the morning really makes a difference for me. Also forgot to use the ACV before meals. I try to drink a little ACV before a meal if I'm not eating a salad. Also ate breakfast earlier for three days and I do better if I wait at least until 10:30 or 11 am before eating breakfast. Also I forgot to drink plenty of water yesterday. Water plays a big part too especial when eating fiber. I believe I see where I must tweak what I'm doing so I get all the benefits. For example, I don't think I need to eat more than 2 or 3 fruits a day. May not be able to eat more than 2 servings.

Shannon I suspect that eating a little bit of fiber foods would even make foods taste better to your DH. That should relieve some of the stress you feel too. Although I eat the higher carb fiber foods, I do believe I do better if I not only watch the portions, but also the number of servings that I allow myself. I'm looking forward to hearing how she includes them in your new plan.

Carol Sue You are right about the statin. I thought that was the med but couldn't remember. DH refused to take them once before, but I am not sure he can stop it. I thoroughly believe from reading about how these foods affect our blood sugar etc that if we ate right we wouldn't have to take some of the meds and supplements we take. DH gets tired of taking all those pills and all I've been doing so far is when he says something I stress the fact that he wouldn't have to take some of them if he ate right. He eats too much saturated fats, and he dosn't eat enough cholesterol, trigylceride lowering foods. And when he does eat some of them, he wants them cooked for so long that they lose their nutrients. I'm hoping if I can get my numbers right and he sees that it works that he will decide to change a few things. It wouldn't really take a lot for him to eat healthier.

I read this morning that 1 or 2 tsp of flaxseed can be put in foods that I could sneak them into a few days a week that would help lower his bs as well as some other benefits. I could use it when I make a meat loaf, spaghetti etc. I just have to find a foods I can add things to it where he won't know the difference. Some things I have to be careful or or not use too much because he is on a blood thinner.

Oh while I'm thinking about it. I read this morning that Jerusalem Artichokes can be cooked like potatoes. They said it is a little milder taste than potatoes but good low blood sugar friendly. I have never even noticed them in the store, but I'm going to look for them and try them, because even though I like cauliflower, it has never replaced potatoes for me.

Guess I better stop. I'm getting kind of wordy. Today is DH and my 12th anniversary, but we are not going to wait until tomorrow to celebrate. We get paid tomorrow and the stores are on that side of town where all the eating places are. DH son gave us 2 $15 gift cards for Christmas to Olive Garden and we saved them for our anniversary. Since I've learned so much about balancing the meal for bs, I am actually looking forward to it as it is one of my favorite places to eat. I could make a meal just on their salad.

Have good day.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Shannon, my DH was put on a statin in 1993 when he had a heart attack at 50. After a week or so, he quit taking them and never went back to it. He refuses to get bloodwork done. He said he is 72 years old and does not want to take a lot of meds. When he had shingles, he refused the antiviral meds, and only took a couple of the pain pills, even though he was in pain. I think it's a personal choice. Meds have side effects that can't be ignored. He only takes his blood pressure meds because he saw his uncle after having a stroke and doesn't want that. I take the meds that are prescribed to me, but I sometimes wonder if I really need all of them.

There is a doctor locally on the radio who says that it's better to work on the cause of the problem than to cover up the symptoms with meds that might be causing side effects you don't want.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #153  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hello Friends:

First to Trish and DH, Happy anniversary!
Have a lovely celebration.

Carol Sue and Trish: I too have been struggling about taking meds.
I decided long ago that I plan to stay on metformin, probably for life. The side effects for me are manageable, and the long term benefits (having all my toes in my 70's, having my kidneys work etc) are big.
However, after several years on SSRI antidepressants, I went off them last may. I did not find I was getting many benefits and the side effects while not major, didn't seem worth it. Before, when I tried to go off, I started having problems with anger management and anxiety, prepared for that this time, I had regular discussions about it with family and co-workers, and did lots of exercise etc. Also went off while on holidays so that helped. Recently, I read an article linking a different class of anti-depressants with Alzheimer's. Who knows about the long term effects of some meds. I am all for taking things that are doing us good, but we have to balance things off, with the help of a good caregiver.
At a certain age, there are different choices. My father's friend, in his 90's decided not to have any treatment for his cancer, because he wasn't counting the days ahead, and wanted to enjoy remembering his last days. He went peacefully recently.

So enough about that.
I am working on planning my schedule for the next few months ahead. After years of trying to fit in meditation into my day, I am realizing that doing it first thing in the morning is a good fit. Better than trying to exercise then.
The next few months should be relatively "regular" for me, as no holidays are booked until June. I have a couple of conferences, and on the first Monday of the month there will be an early morning meeting, but otherwise, I can see this working. I start back to work tomorrow evening, and will work on sticking to my WOE for the month of February and see where I am after that.
Hope everyone has a good Wednesday.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #154  

Height: 5'7"

Ok ladies I am back with my tail between my legs. I am up about 20 lbs. holidays started it and it just keeps climbing.
Today I started back tracking every bite. Also reading devotions for dieters.
Hubby got his labs back and he went from a 6.6 in July to 7.6 now and has protein in his urine.
I won't be getting labs until sept. So I have time. All my numbers are still in the normal range. The dr now is ? If I'm really prediabetic or if it was caused by extremely low potassium levels. Going to keep watching my numbers. I know for a fact if I eat sweets my numbers are higher. I will continue to check it 3-4 times a wk.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #155  

This morning my fasting blood sugar was 150. Not good, but it's been far worse than that. It was not high enough to take meds so I didn't. I didn't eat breakfast, because I wasn't hungry. I just had coffee. Right before lunch DH got out a can of crescent rolls he was going to make, so I used 2 of them and made some pigs in a blanket for myself with some little smokies. Because the crescent rolls are carbs, I took my meds with them. I made some hot sausage and coleslaw for dinner and I ate my sausage without a bun. Didn't check BS and didn't take meds. Right now I was sitting here starting to feel shaky so I checked my blood sugar and it was 88. I know that's not low, but I think I got shaky because my body is not accustomed to being below 100. On another diabetes board I read, they told me not to worry about feeling shaky as long as my blood sugar is good because that is just my body adjusting. Over time I will not get shaky at 88. But I really hate that feeling and it scares me. It makes me want to check every 15 minutes to be sure I'm not going lower. I have to fight the urge to eat something sweet to counteract it. I really hate diabetes. When I was younger I never thought I would go through something like this. It was just for other people.

dgramie
, I am sorry to hear that you have gained. I can only say that it happens to all of us from time to time and you have done the right thing by coming back to the forum! It's possible that you are not really prediabetic, but it's still best if you watch your sugar intake just in case. I know if I go for my labs on March 1 like I'm supposed to they will not be good. I'm postponing it at least another month.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #156  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol sue: I have been shaky with high blood sugars, when they were dropping quickly. What med are you on?
Dgramie: I also had trouble over the holidays, good for you for starting back tracking etc.
No big stories today, just saying hi.
Started back on call this evening. all quiet so far.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #157  

Yesterday was a flop. Will try again today
Old 01-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #158  

Mad I am on Metformin and Glimiperide 1mg. I take the Metformin regularly, but I don't take the Glimiperide if my blood sugar is below 170 unless I will be eating carbs. I did that once, and actually only took 1/2 pill and my blood sugar dropped to 44. Taking the Glimiperide, I probably should be eating carbs at every meal to keep my blood sugar steady, but I don't usually eat carbs at breakfast or lunch. It's the carbs at dinner and in the evening that get me in trouble. My intention is to get off the Glimiperide altogether. To do that, I will need to control my carbs better in the evening.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #159  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

My book arrived today - yay! Just in time, I have now crossed back into the 190s on the scale. I haven't been there since last May. Depressing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Today was kind of weird. I have had a headache ALL day long, which was awful. I don't get headaches often, so when I do I am always surprised by just how miserable it is. Ugh. Feeling better now.

Anyway, I don't even know if I ate breakfasted and I braised some endive for lunch (this might be my favorite favorite food). THEN...someone gave me an Olive Garden GC for my bday. I'm not a huge Olive Garden fan in general but I love that salad. My husband is out of town so my daughter and I decided to get take out from OG. While I have not eaten a lot or gone insane, I have picked at some very carby stuff I usually avoid. None of it is really SO AMAZING but something about noodles, man. I didn't go bananas, but I definitely COULD.

I'm going to go stick them in the fridge so I forget about them.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Take care!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:17 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Carol Sue - I get the space bar thumb too! My carpel tunnel used to involve more of my hand and up the arm but now it's just my thumb. I think my Armour Thyroid medicine has helped mine, it still hurts though if I am on my phone too much texting or computering.

Trish - WW - That's exactly why I stopped going. I was going to meetings and was one of the few people trying to do the whole foods plan. Everyone else spent most of the meeting talking about the lowest point ice cream bars and puddings and bread. Including the leader. I get much more support and ideas on this forum.

And I had no idea that pickles were good for lowering insulin spikes! I am the pickle queen! Now I have a reason besides my addiction.

Gained back 5 pounds of the 16 I lost last spring. Time to get back on track eating healthy - especially in the evening - and eating appropriate amounts.

Also I think this is the longest period in my life I have not been doing any kind of exercise. Have been a slug for months! My dog can't walk with me anymore due to her back problems. Her back legs are getting really bad now and the tops of her paws are scraping too much. It's very sad and depressing, she's only going to get worse. So I haven't been walking. But I plan to walk first thing tomorrow morning - I'll have to get used to going it alone!

Last edited by kris2008; 01-31-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 AM   #162  

Has anyone ever been to 5 Guys? I heard that they will serve the burger in a bowl without the bun, and it's actually on their menu that way. I would like to try it as I've heard they are voted one of the best burgers around.

One of the ladies from the Weight Loss Surgery forum passed away this week. You might have seen her posts. Her name was JiffyPop. She had had some problems off and on since surgery but I don't think her death was as a result of surgery because she was 12 years out. They said she just passed away in her sleep. I don't know how old she was. Sometimes people disappear from the forum and you never know what happened to them, but apparently someone kept in touch with her offline so they were able to inform us. Very sad. She was just posting a few days ago.

Kris
, my thumb is the only place my carpal tunnel affected. At another job I used to sit at my desk and review invoices, and when finished with each one would reach to my left and place it in a pile on my credenza. I ended up with terrible tendonitis in my left shoulder from repetitive movement and had to go for physical therepy. It still bothers me once in a while and I just do some of the exercises they had me doing in PT. I must be very suceptible to tendonitis.

I think the good thing about Weight Watchers is that you CAN eat just about anything if you include the points, but those people are not learning anything about healthy eating and you never lose your cravings. Weight Watchers knows this and takes advantage of it because it helps them sell their products. It's all about the money to them.

I am surprised that you had a regain because you always seem to me to be one who does NOT waver. If you can have a regain, it can happen to anyone. I know you will get it together again. It's all about knowing how to keep the regain at a few pounds, and not gain back everything you lost. How often do you weight yourself? Sometimes that helps keep the regains to a minimum.

I'm sorry to hear your doggie is not doing well. That is always heartbreaking. I lost my little Maltese right after Christmas and I am still so sad over that. There are so many things that remind us of him.

Dgramie, just write off yesterday and get back to it today. Take one day at a time. You can do this! Once you get the first good day under your belt it gives you incentive to do it again the next day, then the next, and the next etc.

Secondhalf
, I love Olive Garden too, and when I see their commercials on TV everything looks so good, but I haven't been there in years because of the pasta. Every entree comes with pasta and I love it and eat too much. It was probably a smart thing to get take-out and only eat part of it and save the rest for another meal. For some reason, lasagne doesn't affect me, probably because of all the protein from the meat and cheese, but when I make pasta at home, once a month or so, I always eat too much. One time I had a gift card for Olive Garden and I found out it could also be used at Red Lobster, so we went there instead.

Shannon, now that you have the book it will be easier to put your plan in motion. "Goodbye 190's! Sayonara! I'm leaving you for good!!" Maybe Donna will come back and tell you more about her success with the plan.

Trish, I have never mashed cauliflower because DH wouldn't eat it. He would not eat the artichokes either. Some things are just to much trouble to do just for myself. He eats them as vegetables, but wants his potatoes to be potatoes. When I make potatoes for him, I try to just eat a forkful for a taste.

How are you doing, Mad?
Old 01-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #163  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Jiffypop was 61 and was a friend of mine and of some of the other MODs on the Forum. By friends, I mean real life friends. I stayed with her a weekend a couple of times and she came for a visit over Christmas a few years ago. Jiff was a really great person but had many physical problems over the past year. It appears she had a heart attack and passed while sitting in her favourite chair with Lola her cat nearby. We found her when we'd not heard from her for a few days - Lauren lives nearby and went to check.

I feel as if the lights went out but I guess there is a new star in Heaven! I really miss her. It's been a bad week.

Needless to say food has not been good and meds are frequently forgotten. I need to get back on track for Jiff's sake.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #164  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I'm so sorry Ruthxxx - I did not know her and did not post in that forum but I read it alot bc of the many family/friends I have who have had the surgery, I like to stay informed. I remember her posts well - she seemed like a nice and very encouraging person.

I started a batch of bread last night that I read about here http://www.gwens-nest.com/easy-bread-recipe/ Supposedly if you make it with mostly whole wheat flour and you do the cold ferment in the fridge for 3-5 days before baking, the carbs go down and you do not get spikes. I'm going to test that out. I have been off the wagon for ages and eaten plenty of bread but I have not made anything homemade in almost a year containing any wheat flour so it felt really odd to me to make this bread mixture up. The book is like 600 pages long, though half are recipes. I am only 20 pages into it but so far, I really like it. It is so down to earth (two sisters wrote the book and it reads like you are sitting down talking to them) and sensible so far. I'll let you know what I think as I get further along. I am making an omelet recipe from the book this morning. Like the old fashioned way, not boiling it in a bag like I've done before - this is my first time making an omelet in the pan like this, LOL!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 01-31-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #165  

Shannon, I copied the bread recipe and will possibly try it out sometime, but I don't like that there's no actual carb count listed. What works for some doesn't work for others. I don't want to get my hopes up. I see a lot of posting of low carb bread that you can buy but from what I've heard, it tastes like cardboard. Let us know what you think. I have tried sourdough bread but didn't like the sour taste. Supposedly, the long fermenting period gets rid of that.

Ruth, my deepest condolences go out to those of you who knew Jiffypop personally. You just never know when it's your time.

My books I ordered came today! I am anxious to start reading Magic Foods, so I guess I know what I will be doing for the rest of the day.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-31-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Closed Thread