Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

DH got the PC working around midnight, but for some reason, the posts I posted this morning are not here. Oh well.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Glad your PC is working. Sorry you lost your messages.

Everything here is about the same. Weight bouncing but staying in the 214 range which I consider good. FBS stable at 111 for 2 days now. It seems to work that way, but I'm sure it will all continue to come down some more as I work the program. Slow is better they say and I've always been one who wants it quick, but I have to face it... that hasn't worked out to good for me in the past.

We are at the end close to payday so when we get paid I will go get some veggies and fruit and be able to do better on this plan. I am so glad that I got this book as it is helping me to see what to eat and why. It is such a blessing. It also explains why some foods are good for you and why some are not and what to eat to replace it. For example, I think barley is my replacement for rice. So full of healthy stuff in it. Some grains are high in protein as well as vitamins and minerals etc. I used to like beans and rice but I tried it with barley instead and it was really good.

After reading this book, I've also learned why The New Atkins Diet Plan allowed some of the veggies that was not on the original. It has to do with the Glycemic Load. They have learned the Glycemic Load is a better guide than the Glycemic Index they used to use. Quite interesting. They learned by using GL that those foods did not cause an insulin spike, but slowed the insulin release down. In fact, this book teaches you how to eat some of the higher GL foods by including certain low GL foods with it to balance it out so you don't get a spike from the meal.

Well, I got to run. Going to beauty shop a little later today. Need to dress and leave DH a note where I am. He thought I wasn't going when he went to bed so he will wonder where I am when he gets up and I'm not here.

Have a nice weekend. Those of you in all that bad weather stay warm and safe.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #138  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Hey ladies,

It's rainy and gloomy here. We are anxiously awaiting the afternoon when Snow White (Olivia's favorite Disney princess) will be at the library for a special storytime!

Well, it's wake up call time I guess. I went to edit my signature with my current weight and wow, I'm about to go backwards to the point that I cannot claim to be at my second goal of a 10% loss. That is really sad! I have checked my FBS the past two mornings after a really long hiatus and I was 122 yesterday and 127 today. I have been eating so much sugar and carbs, I'm shocked it's not worse but that is bad enough. I have been researching the Trim Healthy Mama plan for several days now. It is very similar to any low carb diet but it does allow some carbs I have previously not allowed when on plan such as sweet potatoes, rolled oats, more fruit options, brown rice, quinoa and the packaged low carb tortillas and bread (like Joseph's). I am not all too sure about this plan bc when I have cut those things out and then allowed them I started binge eating again but I'm really burnt out and just not able to get back to strict LCHF again so I'm willing to try something new to see if maybe it is more manageable for long term use. I have not ordered the book yet and the library doesn't carry it so it may be a couple more weeks before I can order and receive the book but there is so much out there on the internet about it I think I can probably half start without the book anyway. One of the more successful bloggers out there who has followed the plan for several years has tons of info and recipes on her site and even she recommends just starting with making one meal a day fit the plan for the first week so that's doable. At any rate something has to change, right???!!!!

I am still convinced though that a key for me, personally, is making ahead and freezing meals. One of the reasons this plan is catching my eye again is because Once A Month Meals (a website that puts together menus for cooking and freezing ahead) has been dabbling in posting meals for this plan and just announced they will do a full menu in March. Since getting back to freezing ahead is important to me that was appealing. Last night I cooked and froze meat to go with my homemade spaghetti sauces that I froze last week and froze precooked taco seasoned meat. Last week I also froze vegetables for a crockpot curry meal I found online for this plan. I still need to buy chicken breasts that go with it but those are ready to go.

I've been really enjoying the bible study I started back before Christmas (Bible Study Fellowship) especially since our church search is going slow as molasses. Their children's program is really great too and I am so glad I can bring Olivia. I really regret not rejoining the program when I first started staying at home.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #139  

Trish, we have talked about so many books here I had to look back to see which book you're talking about...it's the Magic Foods book. It seems to be working so well for you, and you're also doing IF, right? Is your DH following the same plan? I agree that your new A1c will probably be in the normal range. You sound like me, waiting for payday. We get our SS on Wednesday and I already went through the store ads and made a list for shopping on Wednesday.

I had to go to the library today to pick up a fiction novel they were holding for me, and I also got a newer book The Diabetes Reset written by George King MD of the Joslin Diabetes Center. It was written in 2014. I picked it up to see if it had any new ideas since it was a newer book. I skimmed through it and I'm not really impressed. It's nothing we've never heard before. Since it's from Joslin, it doesn't recomment low carb, but low fat and high fiber. It had a section explaining why you should not do high fat. It is called the Rural Asian Diet. Never heard of it before. Otherwise, the strategies are exercise, reduce stress, reduce inflammation, get enough sleep....things we already know. There's also an interesting section about increasing brown fat. It says to stay in a lower temperature. Brrrr That might be why DH never has a weight problem. He wears a thin summer jacket all the time, never a hat, scarf or gloves, even when he's out cleaning the snow. For days that it's really freezing cold he will get out another jacket that has a lining, but it's still not a warm coat for our cold PA winters. His son has always dressed like that, too, and never had a weight problem.

Shannon, I think if you give the THM plan a try and do it for only one meal, it's a start. Sometimes it's too shocking to the system to jump in right away. Look at it this way, it can't be worse than you're doing now. I know what you mean about starting a binge, though. I have that issue with bread all the time. Even today, I made some mac and cheese for DH and he didn't eat it all. Guess who ate it? I wasn't doing that for such a long time, and now I'm slipping back. I need to clean up my act, too.

My weight is staying good but not my blood sugar. It seems that any carbs at all spikes me now.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-24-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #140  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

well, I have not been as low carb as I would like, choices were a bit limited on today's menu, but have continued with skiing a lot. I am on a girls weekend with my sister.
Yesterday's ski included a ridiculously high and steep climb up an escarpment. I took an extra "loop" on the ski trail, which until then had been beginner level, thinking I was just adding a couple of kilometres to the trail, and found a nice up hill, then turned a corner and realized I was going up and up and up. DOn't ask me where I got the gumption to make that climb, was the biggest climb I have ever done since starting cross country skiing. I go to the top and was so proud of myself, I called DH to tell him. Big boost to self-esteem. Even though I am not a racer or fast, I am good!
Today, I took it easier, but still skied at a good clip and for a good distance. Tomorrow, look out!
Happy to hear from everyone, enjoying reading everyone's posts.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #141  

So exciting Mad! You are doing good! I tried skiing once, and that was enough. I didn't have proper clothes and I was freezing. And a girls-only weekend sounds fun, too. Great holiday for you.

I am supposed to get labs done on March 1 but I think I am going to postpone it for a while. They would not be good at all. I am like Shannon...I did so well before the doctor was patting me on the back. I don't know what happened!

Trish, I ordered the Magic Foods book, used. I'm still waiting for a confirmation from the seller. That and another book I ordered from them each said "one copy left" which could be an error, and they might not have them. If so, I will order from someone else. There were a few good prices out there.

EDIT: Just checked...both of my books shipped. Very fast service! Coming from Ohio, so that's a hop, skip and a jump from me. I'm excited. The other book is a cookbook I want to add to my collection.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-25-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #142  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, HA1C is up to .073 so I need to get back onto the lower carb wagon and back to regularly taking my meds. (I'm inclined to skip the evening ones and sometimes "forget" my Victoza shot.) Aside from that, I'm busy as usual and getting very little exercise because of my sore feet. I need to start acting like a responsible adult before it's too late. I'm still trying to lose the December ten pounds. Ticker is not lying today for a change.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #143  

Ruthie It is great to hear from you. Sorry about the sore feet. Hope that gets better. Always good to hear from you.

Fatmad I would think that having to eat more carbs than you like to will not cause a big jump in weight since you are getting all that exercise. Being able to go up that hill was quite an accomplishment. You deserved to be excited about it. I think that means you are evidently in better shape than you thought. Glad you are enjoying the trip.

Carol Sue I think you will enjoy the book and will learn a lot. It has become my favorite book on nutrition for diabetes. I learned that acid like ACV or lemon helps slow down insulin spikes in a whole meal. I've always wondered why my weight etc worked so good when we go out to eat even though I usually eat more carbs. Now I know that it is because I always drink lemon water with it. I've switched to mustard on most sandwiches and no mayo and I always eat the dill pickle if it has it which I've learned also helps the insulin to spike more slowly.

I remember in the old WW plan years ago that we were allowed the carbs which we didn't have much knowledge about grains and lower carbs back then. However, we were allowed one starch exchange, but were required to eat greens at least once a day and all the raw veggies we wanted. Weight loss was slow but it did come off. Of course, I didn't have diabetes and no idea I ever would then. My point is that I can understand from reading this why it was such a good diet plan. I really think the plan they have now is probably similar, but when I was doing WW online and got on some threads it seemed like all they wanted to use their points for was anything but veggies and whole grains. I finally stopped going on them because I felt they were only looking for a way to have their diet cakes, cookies etc.

I'm sorry I don't share as much as you probably would from the book, but I have difficulty remembering everything to share.

Any way, I learned today about how good cabbage and others in that family like broccoli and brussel sprouts are for lower blood sugar and lowers our risk of several cancers including breast cancer by 43%. Carrots which are now included helps protect our eyes as we get older and prevent macular degeneration and cataracs.

Shannon I used to attend BSF when it was closer to me and really enjoyed it. I loved the fellowship and the scripture discussions. They finally started one here again, but it is in the evening and I just don't drive much at night any more. I have heard that their children's program is awesome so I know Olivia will enjoy it.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Hi Guys! Again, I just can not keep up!

I don't know HOW I'm doing. Ok, I guess? I like to test a lot and keep track but the past few days have been crazy busy and it just got away from me. I'm eating the same, I think? I am terrible about not getting enough sleep. Maybe I could make that a priority this week.

I'm hitting my 5k step goal pretty much every day so I guess that means it's time to stop just parking further away and taking the stairs...I'm going to have to start REAL EXERCISE! Gasp!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #145  

Secondhalf, it sounds like the 5K steps is becoming a regular part of your life, not intentional exercise. That's good. Since I stay home most of the time I only go over 5K if I am out somewhere.

I used to fall asleep and stay asleep until my alarm went off, but now I wake up every couple hours. I am getting better at falling back to sleep recently, but when I worked, there were times that I got by on 2-3 hours of sleep. Maybe knowing I don't have to go anywhere helps me fall back to sleep. I occasionally take a Benadryl to help me, but I prefer not to take anything for sleep because I will become dependent on it.

Trish, there are things I like and dislike about WW. It's hard to figure out the points for foods that you prepare at home, but I like that you can eat anything as long as you include the points in your daily allowance. That way there are no foods off-limits. It just doesn't work for me. I eat all the healthy foods, I just eat too much of it. I keep thinking back to when I was in the hospital and they brought me my heart healthy, carb control meals. The portions were right-size and there was nothing in between meals. I did that once I got home for several months and that's how I lost my first 20 lbs, but I have drifted away from that and can't get it back. My doctor would say "You CAN do it, you just don't WANT to." LOL

I also wanted to get the book mentioned in the sticky about the Glycemic Load for Diabetics, but I will try just googling Glycemic Load and getting my info from there. I don't want to start buying tons of books again.

Ruth, I like your comment that you have to start behaving like a responsible adult. That's what I have to do, too! If I got my A1c checked right now it would not be good. I am scheduled to get it checked Mar 1 but I am going to postpone it at least until Apr 1, and I need to walk the straight and narrow until then.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-26-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #146  

Trish, I have tried all the things they recommend, lemon water, vinegar water, cinnamon, fiber (beans) and none of them ever made a significant difference in my blood sugar. When I was reading The End of Diabetes and DR Furman recommended eating all the vegetables, that didn't help my blood sugar, but it did improve other things. I lost my cravings for sweets, my nails have gotten so much stronger, the pain in my back and hip went away and that loose tooth I had tightened up. I cannot prove that these things happened because of the vegetables, but I think they did. I made no other changes. Dr Furman said that even though carrots are considered a high carb veggie, the nutrient value far outweighs the carbs you get from them. I eat them and lots of cruciferous veggies at least 4 times a week, but there is no improvement in blood sugar. Of course, he recommends little or no carbs and little or no meat, and I have not eliminated those foods from my diet. So I have seen improvements in my health, but not blood sugar. The only thing that really impacts my blood sugar is exercise.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #147  

Carol Sue I have read that some medications can cause diabetes. Could you be taking a that is causing your blood sugar to be higher? I can't remember which one, but I know one of DH medicines can cause diabetes. I remember when I read it that my first thought was that he didn't have diabetes until he took that medication. I need to look that up and see if the doctor could change it.

There are a lot of things I liked about WW and back when it was Flex and Core plan, I combined the two like some others did and I did great. However, I also have the problem of some of the foods I cooked I didn't know how to count the points. However at this point, I just don't want to count anything if I don't have to. As long as I can keep improving the way I'm eating now, I see no reason to count calories, pts or anything else. It is really nice not to have to think about food all the time.

I just realized today that you asked me if DH eats like I do. Not too much. I do try to make some of the foods I'm reading about to help him. He really needs to keep his cholesterol coming down especially the triglycerides. So I figure if I can make us one good healthy meal that we eat together that it has to help.

You also asked if I was still doing IF. Most of the time yes, but there are some days like Saturday and Sunday when I don't because I like to eat breakfast before I leave the house. All the other days I am able to wait until 10 or later to eat. I am eating 3 meals a day most of the time. One problem that I'm having sticking to the 8 hr window that I usually do is that if I strictly stay with the 8 hr window is that I have to eat that third meal when I'm not hungry. I also like to follow IE principles too of not eating until I get hungry which makes it difficult to stay within 8 hrs. Back when I was researching IF, I did read that women can get by with eating within a 9 hr window so on those days that I don't get hungry until after the 8 hr window I've decided it is better to wait until I'm hungry which usually puts within a 9 hr window. I feel safe about doing that since I eat a combination of IF/IE. It seems to be working ok with lowering the fbs so as long as it stays or keeps getting lower I will continue eating that way.

My fbs was 108 today. Lately it seems to either be 104 or 108. I did that for a week or so when I was in one teens just before it went below 110. I'm hoping it is getting ready to go below 100 soon.

DH and I go back to the doc in March. I've got over a month to make this a habit and hopefully get my numbers better. I hope I can help DH have improved numbers too. Even where I am now, I think he is going to be surprised at how much my bs has improved.

I started exercising again. I've decided to make a habit of exercising 20 minutes 6 days a week which will be 120 minutes a week taking Sunday off. After it was shared that the DM book recommended 30 min 3 or 4 days a week which equals 80 to 120 minutes a week, I will still get the 120 minutes. Riding the recumbent bike every other day isn't working for me because I am finding a reason to wait another day and then that other day never comes when I'm thinking do 30 min 3 days a week. I need to do it in a way that it will become a habit for me. I know if I do it as a habit that in time my body will actually look forward to it. I think it all comes down to doing what fits my personality. I've got the eating down now I've got to get the exercise down pat. I'm sure when I get that going that the fbs will improve even more. That may be all it will take to get my fbs under that 100 mark.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #148  
~Shannon

Just popping by to say hello. I am still deep in researching this new plan I want to start, collecting recipes, etc. I went grocery shopping today and bought brown rice, quinoa and sweet potatoes. I have not bought those items in almost a year....felt weird!

I can't believe how huge my belly has gotten. 6 months ago it looked vastly improved. Now I think it may actually look worse than it did before I started anything....amazing! I am looking forward to turning that around. I hate how full and heavy I feel lately.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #149  

Shannon, hating how you feel is a good motivator. When you start this new plan and start to feel better you will want to keep it up so you continue to feel good. I think adding those 3 items will change DH's attitude too, adding a bit of substance to the meals. I love all 3 of those things, but DH won't eat them. I have started using brown rice instead of white when I make stuffed cabbage and stuffed peppers and he doesn't mind that because it's mixed in with the meat, but if I make other things like rice pilaf he wants white rice.

Trish, eating low carb will drop triglycerides like a rock, but I know your DH does not want to eat low carb all the time. Try to get him to cut back as much as you can with the meals you prepare.

I agree that if a longer eating window sometimes is working for you, then it's all good. There's no hard and fast rule....just what works.

I heard that statins can cause diabetes and I take a statin, but when I looked it up, mine is not one that causes diabetes. I take a very old one. I am supposed to take 80mg but I cut back to 40mg when my lab work was so good. Dr doesn't know that, but I think the pharmacy has to know because I don't get the RX filled as often as I should. Numbers don't lie, and if my labs are within normal range, I don't think I need as much as they prescribed. I saw a cardiologist on The Doctor's show who said that statins do more for the heart than just lower cholesterol and he takes that into consideration when he prescribes them.

I also think Beta Blockers raise blood sugar, too, but I need them to help regulate my heart beat. Sometimes I get to the point where I just want to quit taking all my meds and let nature take it's course. Some doctors will take a patient off all meds and when they have all left the body, they start adding meds back to see what they really need. I'm starting to feel like one of those old people I used to feel sorry for when I worked at the pharmacy.

I also read recently that coffee (caffiene) raises blood sugar. I guess I have to quit everything!

I get very excited if my blood sugar gets to 110 or below.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-27-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #150  
~Shannon

Carol Sue i have two more days of my statin left and then I am done. I have just read a lot about women not needing them. I want to get on plan and see how my lab results do with diet and no meds. I will reassess after a year of monitoring. If I can get on and stay on a lower carb plan, get my BS under control and the labs are still bad I will start taking the statin again but I'd like to try a year without.
Closed Thread