Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue So very glad you aren't going to have to pay to have the modem hooked up. I figured there was something wrong with it and I'm glad you'll get it replaced without costing you anything.

Gayle I certainly hope your eye is better.

Well, I decided to make a spread for the 3 of us although on a much smaller scale than what I'm used to do. I'm used to cooking for a minimum of 10 to 35 people. I did get a turkey almost 15 lbs. I figure since I'm mostly lowcarbing that I can use some of the left over meat and they can have all the other left overs. I've chosen to do 3 lowcarb days so I can enjoy the higher carb foods I want to eat on T-day. I'm going to have plain broccoli with EVOO and and my dressing with the turkey. I also have one serving of one dessert on T-day so and I will be through.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

We went out to the store and when we came back the phones were not working, so dh had to call them again I hope this is not going to be on going. we never had problems with the old modem. Now I wanted to try out the wifi on my nook.

it worked but I saved the password . I think that means all my neighbors will have access to it. now I have to figure out how to unsave it . I am not tech savvy. I should have married a computer expert!! LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-24-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #93  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

My niece was born last night! It was a very late night at the hospital, didn't get home til 3, arrived home to find my daughter had woken up, couldn't find me and was beside herself sobbing. I guess she didn't find daddy to be very comforting in the middle of the night.....not a shock, lol! We had been planning to eat out Thanksgiving but have decided to cook at home and have my mom over since my brother and his wife will be settling in at home with the baby and want to stay home. I have actually never cooked for Thanksgiving. We have always either gone out or gone to my mom's. I picked up this "special" at the store today....a turkey, 3 sides and rolls for $30...and will add some items to it. Should be interesting, lol!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #94  

We figured out that the old modem had a battery backup but the new one doesn't. That's why we lost the phone service. We had high winds yesterday. The tech told us that they don't provide batteries because most people have cordless phones that require electricity to operate. We have them, but we also have a couple wall phones that go directly into the phone line. He gave us the battery out of the old modem and we are going to take it to the Comcast office and they will give us a replacement that will fit in the new modem. Then we should be all set.

I figured out that when I sign out of my Nook I can unsave the password so others cannot sign in on my wifi. I really wouldn't care if someone used it, but there are too many people who can't be trusted.

Congratulations Aunt Shannon!!! Hope everyone is doing well!

Is that a pre-cooked turkey you're buying? If so, that is a VERY good deal. They run a lot more in our stores. I think that will do very well for your family and your mother.

I started cooking turkeys when we went to DH's mom's for Thanksgiving because we like leftovers for the weekend and she never offered leftovers to take home. I don't know how I learned to do it, I think I just winged it the first time. It's actually a very easy meal to prepare. Once in the oven, the turkey cooks all by itself, then you just prepare the sides while the turkey is cooking. It's very intimidating to a new cook. I am NOT a good cook. If I can do it, anyone can.

One year a single friend of mine couldn't get home to Ohio to be with her family for Thanksgiving but she still wanted to have the whole deal for dinner, so she ordered it from a local supermarket. They only did advance orders. When she went to pick it up there was a mix-up and her meal was not there. They had some pre-cooked chickens, so they substituted that and gave it to her free. The chicken was a much better size for just her and she didn't have to pay for it!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #95  

Oh man, the modem saga continues. LOL We drove out to the Comcast office, about 20-25 miles away and they do not have the batteries. There is a number you have to call if you want a battery. So, when we got home DH called and complained that the cable guy told us to go out there and we drove all the way out there for nothing. So she is sending us the battery with no shipping charge, which was $6.95. The battery itself is $35, but worth it if it's going to keep us from losing our phone service. Also, they said they give free replacement batteries for as long as you have the service.

Trish, I took some books back to the library today so I picked up the Brown
Fat book while I was there. I probably won't start reading it until after Thanksgiving as I have too much to do.

I only use the dishes in my china closet on holidays so this morning I took everything out of it and washed everything. As I set a stack of dinner plates into the sink a stink bug appeared, swimming around. Good thing that didn't happen in front of my company. That would be embarassing!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #96  

Shannon CONGRATULATIONS on the new niece. You are such a good cook that I'm sure your Thanksgiving dinner will turn out great. You have a good start to work around for your first time. It will be good and the fellowship is the best part anyway.

Carol Sue Don't you just hate it when someone doesn't know what they are doing? Are they going to get everything to you before the weekend? I look forward to see what you think about the book. I'm not sure about it, but I am doing it on my own schedule and the weight comes up a little the day after a carb day, but us down a little more after the protein day. So maybe it does work with the weight loss. I'm not seeing much weight loss because I was already doing a lowcarb/lowcalorie diet.
I will eat off tomorrow and enjoy everything I want to eat and then I will be right back on lowcarb Friday and Saturday and maybe even Monday. I kind of see from the book why Dana Carpandar's diet worked for her. After reading this, I think you could mostly lowcarb all week and then when you go out to eat some where or if one day you want something that is a little carby that it will be no big deal. In fact, I can see how the new Weight Watcher's plan could work if it was done right. I just have a whole new atitude about eating.

I finally have all my shopping done for Thanksgiving. I wasn't going to cook a whole lot, but I will still have a nice one. I realized the problem with Turkey day is most of the foods are starchy. I am not making enough to last for a week like I did with previous DH and when my kids were little.

DGS said he would be here all day today until he went to work at 5 and this morning tells me he won't be back until late. I had planned pork chops lunch, but I won't be cooking all that I was going to now. That is good for DH and me because we don't need to eat a lot of stuff today. Not when I have so much to do for tomorrow. He says he will be here all day tomorrow, but I don't trust him to do anything he says any more. He lost his scholarship for this year and had to take out loans to go this year. I'm not sure he hasn't already flunked out. He was supposedly working to get another scholarship for next year, but I don't think he will make it. He tells us he is studying at the library, but he doesn't come home until 2 and 3 in the morning. We think he is socializing too much and not studying and may be flunking out. He hates what he is studying etc, but his mother and his daddy's dad is really pushing him to do all this. I see disaster down the road. I just hope it doesn't throw him over the edge. His personality has changed and he spends no time whatsoever with his Grandad or me. He has become disrespectful. Pretty good signs that he is doing something he knows he isn't supposed to be doing. We can only pray. One thing I've learned through the years is that our kids have to go through things because that is how they grow. We just want to keep them from having to go through it. I learned that all that I did to try to keep my kids from going through their hard knocks, didn't work. I couldn't stop it. Just sad we have to go through this with a grandchild. I thought I paid all my dues with my children and grandchildren. LOL

We have blood work Monday so I can't go off too much. We go to the doctor on the 10th and the A1c will be done then. So I'm working to keep it coming down. Thanksgiving won't stop that from happening.

Y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving Day.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #97  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello everyone,

It is a nice sunny day today ~ about 70*. In the mornings, it is still chilly sometimes.

I've been reading here, but busy and haven't gotten a chance to post. We have Maddie all day this week ~ school vacation. She keeps us busy. She and Grandpa have gone to some special thing going on at the Childrens Museum, so having a little time to get some stuff done that I can't get to when she is here.

Gonna make a casserole I saw on Facebook for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It is probably just going to be DH and I, so I didn't want to make a turkey and all that stuff. I invited DS Jason ~ don't know if he will come or not. He might be going to get together with a friend's family. That is ok ~ I would rather him be where he feels like he is having fun and not be alone. DD Sara hasn't said boo about Thanksgiving ~ so don't know what their family is doing. Since her divorce holidays aren't the same ~ kind of sad, but I know others are in the same boat. Sometimes we get together, but it is kind of a spur of the moment thing if it happens at all.

Guess I'd better get off and get those things done before the big and little kid return ~ LOL.

Hope you all have a nice thanksgiving and good time with your families.

Last edited by glynne; 11-26-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #98  

Hi Gayle. Sometimes I wish I could have a year off from hosting Thanksgiving. I think my sister-in-law would do it, but I don't want to lose it altogether. I would like to go away somewhere for the long holiday weekend instead, while we are still well enough to do it. DH has some strange ideas as you might have figured out, and he does not like to go to someone else's house for dinner. He's fine having them all come here and he does help me a lot with everything. I would just like to spend it doing smething else for a change. I think your Thanksgiving will be fine. There's no law that says you have to eat turkey.

I bought a recumbent bike today at Goodwill for $20. It has some kind of digital screen that I can't figure out how to work, but I'm really not interested in that. I just want to pedal at my own pace and not worry about how fast or how far I'm going. I also have the treadmill and elliptical but wanted something else for variety. I have had 2 regular exercise bikes but they hurt my lower back because of the leaning forward to reach the handlebars. I think the recumbent will be better for me because you can sit back and lean back. If not, I only have $20 invested in it so I can sell it or donate it back to Goodwill. I think the comfort level always depends on what type of back problem you have.

Trish, I don't know how long it will take us to get the battery for the modem, but the phones have been working the past 2 days. I think all that wind we had that one day might have had something to do with the problem. I don't see any improvement in the speed of the computer with the new modem.

I have been eating way too many carbs this week. I plan on getting back to my exercising and better eating habits after Thanksgiving. I just have had too much to do.

I have an appointment with the cardiologist on Friday morning. I never thought about it, but his office is in the same direction as the local mall, and with Black Friday being the same day we probably should give ourselves some extra time to get there. My blood pressure has been up lately, and I know it's because my weight is up, but he will probably want to give me more meds. I know if I could lose some weight it would improve both my blood pressure and my sugar. Sometimes when I go to him I take an extra blood pressure pill so my BP isn't too high. Shhhhh. Don't tell him. LOL
Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #99  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ~ enjoy your day and the time with your families
Old 11-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #100  

Old 11-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #101  

Thanksgiving is over. All leftovers have left the building, with the exception of some turkey for leftovers today and some bean and corn dip my DIL made.

The decision has been made to alternate the holidays with the younger generation, between my DIL, my SIL and me. My step-daughter really can't afford to host a holiday, plus she lives in a mobile home with not much room. I will do Christmas, DIL will do Easter and SIL will do Thanksgiving, starting next year. In a way I will miss it but in another way I'm relieved. It was getting to be understood that I was doing every holiday like my MIL did and felt that I could never get a day off no matter what. Most of the time you're OK once you get everything started, but when it gets closer to mealtime and everything needs to be finished up at once, it's hectic. All my guests were late yesterday and there was no one to help except DH. He WAS a big help, but because they were late, the food was cold by the time we ate. DH and I are ALWAYS early anywhere we go, so I will be able to pitch in and help out at the other people's houses.

Every Thanksgiving, Santa Claus calls our house and talks to my grandson. There's enough people here that he never figures out that someone left the room and is calling from a cell phone. This year it was DH. Last year it was his Dad. He really stressed to Santa the fact that he has been good all year! LOL

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! Now to get back down to the business of health and weight loss. Oh, wait a minute, there's still Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years in a couple weeks.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-28-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #102  

My cardiologist appt went well. My weight and BP were both up, but it IS the day after Thanksgiving. We discussed weight loss and how it would help with all my medical issues, so he gave me a reprieve until I see him again in 6 months. If I lose some weight, all my labs should improve. If not, he will have to take action. I know I've been saying this for ages, but maybe now that I have a goal to shoot for I will be able to stick to a diet and exercise program in order to avoid the consequences. He also said that weight loss would help with my 2 leaky heart valves. I wasn't aware that weight effected that. I guess weight effects everything. He didn't pressure me about weight, I brought up the subject, so I don't feel as if he was being critical of me.

My grandson hopped on the recumbant bike last night and tried it out. He loves my exercise equipment. To him it's FUN.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #103  

Carol Sue Glad the cardiologist appt went well. I hope my blood work Monday works as well. I have a doctor's appt on the 10th and hope it won't be too bad for the holiday month and that maybe I will be able to lose some weight before then so that my gain won't be too high from my last visit. My weight last time was 211 and now after T-day, I was up to 218.2. I'm not too sure I can lose 7 lbs by the time I go back. Oh well.

Sounds like you will get some rest from all the work for holidays and still get to be a part of it. I don't think I could cook for so many people any more. I cooked a lot of food for just the 3 of us and my back was hurting so badly by the time I went to bed. I had to sleep with the heating pad and took ibuprofin for the pain. Feeling a little better this morning.

I did overeat when we ate the turkey dinner. I didn't intend to, but I overdid the dressing. So I ended up doing 2 miles on the recumbent bike because I have a heated vibrating pad for my back I bought and put on it for when I ride it. I really needed the relief from eating too much. I also took one of DH extra glimeperide and my fbs was 94 this morning. I really wish I could get my doctor to give me a prescription of that stuff. Oh well.

I am back OP this morning counting calories. Although I have blood work Monday morning, I have till the 10th to get my weight down some.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Now it is time to do the best I can until Christmas. It will only be DH and me and I already have an idea in my head of what I plan to fix. It won't be too far off my plan at that time. I would like to end the year with a pretty good weight loss for this year. Won't be as low as I would like, but I just want to feel like I accomplished something.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #104  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Happy belated Thanksgiving ladies!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #105  

Trish, it is sometimes nice to have the glimiperide to lower your blood sugar now and then, but it tends to make you feel that you can fit in more carbs because the pill will bring your blood sugar down. I am trying to get back to not using it. Lately, I've been using it every day and that was not what I intended. I think the only way your dr will give you the prescription is if you get a high A1c, like in the 9s or 10s. If I remember correctly, you were in the 5s last time. I doubt if he will ever give it to you under those circumstances. You are far better off to control your blood sugar with diet. You can do this. With an A1c in the 5s you have great control, even though you feel that some of your readings are too high. There is more to consider than just FBG.

Yesterday we ate leftover turkey for lunch then we went to the casino and ate the buffet. I really didn't enjoy it because I was still full from lunch. Afterwards, I felt so stuffed I felt sick. I hate that feeling. I am going to make today a mostly vegetable day to get my body back to feeling better. This is yuk. I did do a lot of walking at the casino so that was good.

Sometime over the weekend I will probably start reading the Brown Fat book. I'll let you know what I think. I usually skim through at first and read high points that interest me then go back and start at the beginning.
Closed Thread