Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Thanks for the pep/encouraging talk. I think my A1c was 6.2. My FBG was 94 yesterday and it was 113 this morning. Actually the Glucocil is actually keeping me from being hungry. I'm not taking the Metformin any more because I refuse to live with the diarrhea that I seem to have even when taking the 500 mg.

I'm also using the idea that I don't eat more than 3 starchy carbs a day and I try to eat them earlier in the day. Yesterday, I didn't eat anything after 6 pm. My weight is up a little but at least the FBG is good. I am using the Richard Simmons guide of how many starchy carbs only I don't allow myself more than 3 most of the time. I don't understand why he limits the veggies so unless that was before we learned so much about veggies. It is just a guideline so not too worried about it.

Carol Sue Are you finding that a lot of the holiday foods you used to love just don't taste as good as you remember? It is really strange. I used to work so hard for weeks before Thanksgiving and served so many people that I think maybe the fellowship was what made it taste so good. And I never had time to just sit and enjoy a meal because I was the hostess. Now I made the dinner and was able to sit and enjoy it, but it just didn't taste as good as it used too. I'm hoping that is because my body enjoys healthier foods better.

I have lots of left overs but I'll be using the turkey and add healthier foods around it for myself. Even the cheesecake I made that I always look forward to has lost its flare. Just isn't the same. I do so hope that my tastes are changing. DGS was excited about the Thanksgiving meal so he and DH are enjoying the leftovers.

Shannon Glad you checked in. How did your meal turn out? I bet it was great.

Well, time to head out to the beauty shop. Have a great Saturday.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, we must have been typing at the same time.

My Thanksgiving meals are usually pretty healthy. I don't eat potatoes or bread, no sweet potatoes because I only like them baked, plain, and at Thanksgiving everyone wants them with all the sugar and marshmallows. My SIL told me that she made them with Splenda Brown Sugar, but we didn't tell the guys that. LOL I don't eat sweets, so no pie, or pumpkin roll for me. DIL brought a corn and black bean dip and I made a pig of myself with that. I will have to get that recipe. I go more for savory dishes like that. My own plate consisted of turkey, vegetables and stuffing. The stuffing was my one carby treat for the holiday, and my step-daughter took all the leftover stuffing home. So it's gone. My daughter in law also made this parmesan crusted butternut squash. Delicious! It was peeled and cut into slices, then coated with the parm and I don't know what else to hold the parm on, then baked, and covered with lemon zest strips. Very, very good, and something different from what we usually have. DH even ate a piece of it! We call her Martha Stewart, and she actually looks like her, and my SIL is Paula Deen, and looks like her too. They haven't figured out who I am yet.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #108  

Well, I ditched the rest of the cornbread dressing. I knew I made way more than we would eat and I don't think DGS ate any and I asked DH if he wanted any more or could I ditch it and he agreed for me to ditch it. The only thing left that I will eat is the turkey.

I am going back to mostly lowcarbing tomorrow. Just don't want to eat much carby foods. I made myself a turkey salad tonight on huge bed of romaine lettuce. I red that romaine lettuce is as good if not better than kale nutrient wise and I really do like it. I know it won't last for long, but I really am hungrier for regular veggies than starchy ones. It is a good thing, but should have happened at least a month ago since I've got blood work Monday. I had to go to dr. office to pick up a prescription Thursday and I told the receptionist that I must have been out of my mind to make an appt for blood work the Monday after Thanksgiving. She said "Well, just tell him it was Thanksgiving". LOL I really don't expect it too be great, but don't expect it to be too bad either.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #109  

Trish, it really depends on what the bloodwork is for. If it is for A1C, it won't make a bit of difference. It measures over a 3 month period, not what you ate in the past few days. I think you can get a higher lipid reading based on recent meals, but that would be more high cholesterol foods, such as shrimp and lobster, eggs, etc and really, just if you ate excessive amounts.

I used the Thanksgiving excuse for my weight and blood pressure when I was at the doctor because that was the next day. It was only a half truth because my blood pressure has been up for a while now.

I love hearts of romaine, I spray them with olive oil and grill them on my grill pan. It's yummy, but DH doesn't like it. He doesn't eat much salad at home because he only likes iceberg lettuce, plus, he will only use dressing for a couple days after the bottle is open because then he says it's old. You are probably learning that he has some very old fashioned, strange ideas about things. LOL I will use dressing even if it is a little past the expiration date as long as it doesn't smell bad. And I have never had any food borne illness.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but we got a new supermarket in the area. It's convenient, about 1 mile from my home. When I go there, I'm usually only buying a few things so it's easy to check my receipt. Three times recently, I was overcharged for something. The scanned price is higher than the ticket price on the counter. The first time, I took it to the customer service office and the woman there said I get it free, which is the policy in most grocery stores. All well and good. A week or so later, I went in and was over charged again. This girl just adjusted the price, but I spoke up and said "Aren't I supposed to get it free?" She very begrudgingly gave it to me free. Now it happened again yesterday with eggs. They scanned higher than the ticket price on the counter. Once again, she wanted to adjust the price and I asked why I didn't get it free, so she gave it to me free. I only bought 3 items, and one was wrong. It's not like I am doing this on purpose. I have no way of knowing these items are going to ring up higher. But if someone goes in and buys a big order, imagine how many items they have that are ringing up higher. The next time I am in there and see the owner walking around I'm going to tell him. It almost seems as though they do this on purpose, thinking most people won't notice or complain about a small difference here and there, but this happens to me so often that I ALWAYS check my receipts. They are upping their profits over time.

So, enough complaints from me! LOL
Old 11-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #110  

Carol Sue Your hubby sounds so much like mine. He only likes iceburg lettuce too. I used to keep it for him but it was always ruining. I would eat it and it caused me problems I don't have with the romaine lettuce. I forgot about grilling the romaine lettuce. DH DS made that when we visited them last summer and I loved it. Thanks for reminding me of it. My hubby is so picky.

This lab work has everything, but my Dr. only pays attention to the A1c he will do on the 10th of the month. Tomorrow is for all the other stuff. I don’t really look for the overall blood work tomorrow to be too bad because I've eaten fairly healthy foods most of the time. However, I’m not sure how the A1c will be.

I’ve decided to go back to Intuively Eating with Intermittent Fasting way of eating. I will use a 5 to 8 hr eating window depending on what is going on each day. I know my doctor doesn’t like the idea, but I think he is thinking of people fasting for 24 hrs. or more. I won’t do that. I just need to get into the habit of eating this way while I’m bored with food. The IF really works good for helping keep my FBG down. I had 94 and 113 this past week, but then 142 this morning. But I think it is because I ate just one half of deviled egg later than usual. I don't think it would have been bad except I forgot that I made them with sweet relish for Thanksgiving because DH doesn't like dill. Strange how eating something sweet later in day can be such a problem. IF will help stop that because there will be no night time snacking.

I have been conditioned to having to eat breakfast so much by diets that I have noticed lately that I’m afraid of going very long without eating in the morning. Since I have to fast for lab work tomorrow, I decided that today that I would eat after I got home from church instead of before. I didn't even have a cup of coffee. We had to go by Walmart to get DH prescriptions and pick up a few things. So it was 12:30 before I got to sit down to eat. I was just beginning to get a little hungry. I had a lowcarb breakfast. Later I had an apple and some turkey. I will eat my final meal for the day around 6:30 pm.

I am meeting my beautician for coffee in the morning at the Waffle House after my blood draw. If we decide to eat breakfast, I’ve decided to have a lowcarb breakfast probably only eggs and bacon or ham. DH has been wanting pizza so we will probably go have pizza after his blood draw tomorrow afternoon. The only other eating out that we have planned is to take DGS out to eat for his birthday Thursday afternoon. We are taking him to the new Texas Roadhouse Steak House and I will get a steak and veggies only. I always find it easy to eat at a steak restaurant. All other meals between now and the 10th will be controlled here at home. So hopefully my A1c won’t be too bad. I know for the last 3 months that the daily readings have been crazy almost like what they were during and after my trip to TX. So maybe it won’t be too much higher than the 6.2 that it was the last time.

I heard that we need to watch our receipts when we use credit cards when shopping, but I am watching it with my bank card as well. I also check my bank account everyday to be sure no one is messing with my bank account since someone used DH last spring in a place FL where I've never been. I just don’t trust people especially here at Christmas time. It is a shame but we have to stay on top of everything these days.

Well, I guess I've rambled enough. I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend. Tomorrow is Dec 1 and looks like I'm going to have to show a gain for this month. I will really have to watch myself if I'm going to keep my weight loss for this year. But we can do it. I've always done really well during the holidays so I hope that will be so again this year. I think it is because I get so bored with the holiday foods.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #111  

Texas Roadhouse is my favorite place to eat. DH always get the 6 oz sirloin, steak fries and a salad. Never changes. I order different things. Sometimes I get the roast chicken, sometimes ribs, and sometimes pulled pork. The last time I got the pulled pork I didn't like it. Too saucy. And I always order fresh vegetables, it's usually broccoli, and a salad. I used to get a baked sweet potato but I cut that out, too. We go there about once a month.

I didn't eat very much today. When I got home at 9PM my BS was 120. That's good for me. I was a little bit hungry so I cooked some vegetables...broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. Low calorie, low carb and very good. Just enough to keep my stomach from growling during the night.

Now I'm tired, so I'm going to bed.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #112  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Happy first day of December! I can't believe it's already the end of the year! Time gallops!

My Thanksgiving lunch went well. I actually made a grain free sugar free lunch for me and regular stuff for everyone else, it was helpful that most of the regular stuff was premade! The turkey was a "cook from frozen". I did overcook it but it still tasted good. That evening we went to Cracker Barrel for dinner and my grain free sugar free day ended, LOL!

I have been having a really difficult time with my daughter the last few months and it seems to be getting worse. She has become very aggressive towards me when she doesn't get something she wants or I have to take something away from her. She kicks, hits, spits, etc. she has always been strong willed and physically strong but it has gotten really bad. Discipline does not work, she is so angry. I have been spending alot of my spare time reading online trying to figure out what is going on with her. The best I have come up with is that she is acting out from some fear or insecurity. She behaves fine at school, it is just at home that there is an issue and it's not an all day kind of thing but I'd say at least once a day or every other day we have some major blow up where she gets mad and starts attacking me. On weekdays it is often around dinnertime....I think part of that is just plain old being hungry and tired. On weekends it can be anytime. Sometimes I feel like it has to do with my husband but she takes it out on me....on weekdays it almost always is when he comes down from work. She does not handle transition times well, that has always been the case so it may just be transitioning from him stopping work or something. I just don't know....it is really draining me and I really have no one to talk to about it. It's sad but moms today are very judgemental and I have found over time that there have only been a very few moms I could share difficulties with without feeling judged. So, I thought I'd share with you ladies....maybe you will have some words of wisdom or compassion. And really, other than being strong willed, she is a sweet girl....she is filled with light and song....That is why I am really struggling, she is a happy child, I don't know what is causing these explosions.

So, not much time lately for diet or BS readings....just trying to survive. Oh, I did get to crash course learn to use my new machine in Thanksgiving. The night before, at bedtime, Olivia told me she really wanted a turkey shirt. I had to scramble because the hoops that came with my machine have a lot of limitations (hopefully ordering new hoops today!) so I only had one design that worked...it's not my favorite "turkey" but it worked. I have no idea if I can even repeat what I did, I seriously just kept pushing buttins til I thought it would stitch right, LOL! Here is the shirt (probably sideways, no idea why these forum designs hate iPad pics so much!).

Today I've got alot to do while Olivia is in preschool and then have to meet a contractor replacing two windows at the MIL's house (still no bites there, they just dropped the price $10K) and then Olivia has ballet. We did Nov on Thurs mornings but no one else signed up for that class so she is moving to the Mon class this month. There are 5 other kids in that class so hopefully it will go well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #113  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Shannon ~ just playing around ~ here is your picture flipped so it is upright. Probably why I am "poofy". I spend too much time playing around on the computer instead of moving.

Olivia sure is a cutie. Nice job on the Turkey Shirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olivia.jpg (52.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by glynne; 12-01-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #114  

This morning I changed our medicare supplement to a new one they have out that is $0 premium. The one we have now is going up to $52 per month for each of us. As far as I can see, the only difference with the new one is that certain hospitals and doctors are off-network, but they are in Pittsburgh and we go east toward Greensburg for all our medical needs, so it should work out for us. I hope I didn't make a mistake, but when you're on Social Security, saving $104 per month is big.

Gayle,
thank you so much for turning Olivia's picture around. The pictures my son sends me are always sideways, too. I have to fiddle around with them on the computer to get them turned around, and I never remember how I did it. LOL

Shannon, I think you should talk to your pediatrician about Olivia's behavior. They may be able to suggest something. My step-children were pre-teen when I took over their care so I have no experience with younger children. But it sounds like something you want to nip in the bud. I do know with my grandson, he had to go for counseling and they told his parents that discipline has to be done consistently, over and over before it actually starts to work. Maybe you just need a little more time with it. There has been a huge change in my grandson from 5 years old to 6 years old. He's like a different kid and I think Kindergarten has helped. I hope this all works out for you.

The shirt is really adorable! You do such nice work. I'll bet Olivia loves having a Mom that can do special things like that for her. She's a cutie!

My thanksgiving turkey is always over cooked. After the little timer pops up I leave it in the oven for another 30 minutes. I like it when I move the turkey leg and the bone just falls off. Then it's done to my liking. I like dark meat, but no one ever complains that the white meat is dry.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #115  

Shannon I have no real advise for you. I know big changes are harder on some children. I know DH youngest granddaughter had such a difficult time when her Mother re-married. She was a real embarrassment to everyone at her Mom and Step-dad's wedding. There were just too many changes too fast in her young life. She was about 4 or 5. The bad thing for her was that her Mother didn't correct her when things first started and I think it was because she felt guilty about her Daddy leaving. He was such a big part of her life. We had moved and no one dealt with the issues. She now spends lots of time with her Daddy now that they have moved back to FL.

Do you think it may have something to do with moving into a new home? Your DH was away a bit during that time and you two were so busy with the two houses plus your retreat. Nothing really major to you or me, but you never know how little kids see things. You spend so much time with her and do so much for and with her that it is difficult to figure out why she would feel insecure, however, if you really think this is what she is feeling that way, perhaps it is something so very simple that you might not be able to pin point it. I misread so many things with my kids when they were little and didn't even know it until my kids were grown and we talked about it. As my son always tells me, "Mama, there are books to help you do everything except parenting". That is really true and even the ones that are out there do not always fit your particular situation. You have such a close relationship with Olivia so I am going to be praying that somehow she will be able to eventually talk to you about what she is feeling. She is so precious and the shirt is so cute. I used to love making shirts (we did it with paints) for my kids when they were growing up.

Well, lab work is done. The little nurse they have now has no problem taking my blood. I always dread it because I've had a few that couldn't even find the vein. So I'm glad that is over.

BBL
Old 12-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #116  

Are we going to start a new thread for December?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #117  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...ml#post5100679
Closed Thread