Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Thanks Carol Sue for the B-day wish. It has been a super day.

We ended up going Tig-Friday to eat. We have to go almost to NC to go to one and I had heard Tony say he wanted to go there so I decided "It's my B-day so why not?" I love baby back ribs and their half back isn't so bad price wise. When I got home I found it was wwwaaaayyyy too many cals. And I didn't now to as them not to put the bbq sauce on the ribs. I'll know next time. I did get broccoli and the Lime slaw so that wasn't bad. Tony wanted to try their Jack Daniels sample plate. We shared the shrimp (I love fried shrimp) and he had half back ribs on it. We had a couple of pieces of the fried chicken pieces and brought back the rest of them for DGS to have as a snack. It was wwwaaayyy too carby as well as it was very sweet, but it was a planned off plan. My new lowcarb friend read that when you eat off like that to exercise after dinner so I'm going to try that. It is supposed to help a diabetic get their numbers down the next day.

As for KFC, she said she quit eating there because she had eaten there a few times and took the skin and breading off and still had a bump in bs readings after. She said there must be something else that they do to the chicken. So I will know if I eat there again (one of Tony's favorite places) that I'm going to have a bump. I thought they had baked/roasted chicken, but I have never seen it there.

Back OP tonight. Not going to have any dinner. Just a snack later to take my 500 mg Metformin. She also said that sometimes she will get a bump reading like that, but it stays low most of the time and she doesn't worry about the occasional bump. So getting right back OP should make it all okay.

Have a great weekend.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #152  

Height: 5'7"

Fbs have all been great this wk. I am doing better with my eating. I caught a cold / sore throat from my little ones. So glad to get antibotic and be feeling better. Hubby seems to have it now.
I push mowed the yard this evening and really worked up a sweat. Came in and temp was still 92 with heat index of 98. I plan to do more yard and garden work tomorrow evening.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Dgramie, it sounds like you got some good exercise in. I have heard that mowing the lawn is one of the best forms of exercise that you can fit in just by doing what needs to be done around the house. Good job!

Trish, I saw grilled chicken on the KFC online menu but it did say Menu Items May Vary By Location.

We also don't go to TGI Fridays. We went there once. The next time we went the line was so long to wait that we went somewhere else. It is next door to a Tx Roadhouse and DH likes their steak better. I have had the ribs, but that was long ago before I had diabetes. They have great pulled pork. Once I asked if I could have it without the sauce and they said it's cooked in the sauce, but sometimes when they give it to me I get a serving that doesn't have a lot of visible sauce. I eat some at the restaurant and bring the rest home for the next days lunch. At home, I rinse it in a strainer to get the excess sauce off. It still has the taste of the sauce cooked in, but not all the sugary sauce. It's only an occasional thing so I don't worry much about it. DH doesn't like pulled pork or I would make it at home where I can control the sauce. I do the same thing with baked beans....rinse the sauce off. We do differ in our food choices, Trish. I don't like fried chicken or fried shrimp. Prefer grill on both! I think I grew up with my mother frying EVERYTHING and I got tired of it. After moving out on my own I became familiar with other types of cooking.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #154  

My FBS was 134 this morning, but I don't consider that high considering what I ate yesterday. I believe a few days back on lowcarbing, I will get back under the 120. Weight only went up .4 lb from yesterday so I think I'm good.

We usually have pizza on Saturday, but I told DH that I wasn't going to get one because I wanted to get back OP. I went to Walmart and got some frozen catfish, called Pizza Hut and ordered a Personal Pan Pizza and went by and got it for him. I came home and pan fried 2 fillets and mixed the last of some frozen broccoli with a deluxe stir-fry veggies and nuked them mixed them all together in a bowl and had an OP lunch. For breakfast, I had eggs, bacon, cheese and chopped frozen baby kale.

I don't know if I'm going to eat dinner or not. I checked a diet my new lowcarb friend told about on a thread on MFP called Egg Fast Diet. I looked it up. From what I understand, those on keto diets use it to break a stall. They do 3 to 7 days of it. Also, I read that if you do it for 2 meals on a day you are going to eat a more carby starch meal that some how it will keep the carby meal from being so bad on the glucose. Don't know if that is true or not. If I had known about it yesterday, I would have tried it to see. You can google it. That is what I did. It was late and I didn't look to see if there are any variations as there were several references to it. I found it through this website http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/about which has some interesting info about how healthy eggs are and why. You might like to read it. I have a friend wants me to go out with her Wednesday for a late birthday celebration, so I just might try the 2 meals of eggs that day to see if it helps. She has a coupon for us to go to Charonda's. However, I do like taco salads so I can still stay close to plan eating one of those.

I did think about having eggs for dinner if I decide to eat, but a lot of times I'm not hungry so I may just wait and eat my late snack when I take my Metformin. I bought some more 0 carb sandwich meat and some cheese I thought I would cut up in smaller sizes and nuke them into lowcarb chips for snacks. I really want to get into this so that I can enjoy staying OP and not get side tracked by some food I liked before that won't fit lowcarb lifestyle.

Carol Sue I actually like shrimp fried or broiled. When we go to Sonny's BBQ I can get sliced or pulled pork without the sauce because they have bottles of sauces at the table. I didn't use it when DH and I went last week because I was afraid it would have some sugar in it. I don't know if I could have gotten the ribs without the sauce or not. When I cook them at home, I eat them without sauce on mine because I just like the flavor of the ribs with the seasonings on it.

I feel so encouraged and empowered with what I'm doing. While am going to follow this way of eating at least 90% of the time, I am also going to allow myself at least 10% leeway to enjoy the few times that I want to do something else. I really do not believe one meal from time to time is going to ruin things. JMHO After all, Carol Sue we have to have our beans from time to time.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #155  

Good Morning. Just checking in this morning but I don't have much new to say. I was looking back through my tracking from past years, especially 2011 when my lab results were the best, and I noticed that I was not eating as low carb back then as I am now, but I was exercising regularly, so I have come to the conclusion that exercise was key. I know that, but seeing the results in black and white makes it clearer. Back then I was eating bread, and my carbs were between 100-200 daily. I am now eating fewer carbs, but struggling to get good results, and now I blame that on not keeping up with the exercise. It's sporatic at best. I have about 6 weeks until my next labs, so I am going to try to see if 6 weeks can make a difference.

Shannon, if you're around, you might find this interesting. I am reading a book I got from the library called Cholesterol Clarity. Basically, they are saying that statins don't do enough to make it worth the harm they can do. They lower total cholesterol and LDL some, but that's not the key element in heart health, but instead, HDL and Triglycerides, which are improved by low carb high fat diet. Statins have no effect on these. Also, it says that having cholesterol too low can also be harmful, and I am having one of the problems they discussed. Since the last time we talked about statins I have cut mine by half. Now I am considering cutting by half again, and eventually quitting them altogether. I read somewhere that if you quit cold turkey you could have a rebound effect, raising your cholesterol excessively. It's interesting, and it brings to mind the fact that DH refused statins from day one. I hate to tell him he was right.....LOL
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #156  

Although I don't agree with all of it, I knew the answers they wanted and got 100%.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/rm-qui...0yNm4PCC9sE%3d
Old 08-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #157  

Carol Sue Interesting info about statins. Thanks for sharing.

I came home and cooked my eggs in CO and had maybe 1/2 Tbsp in my coffee and about an hour after brunch had to run too the potty. I don't think I can use CO. I seem to have no problem cooking in or with any other fats... bacon, EVOO, canola, or butter, but when I use CO, I get into trouble. So sad because I got about half of a huge jar of it. My system just does not like CO.

My weight is back down to 222 this week, but I would love to get back down to the 221 or 119 before I go see the doctor in September... 2 weeks from now.

I am not doing Atkins Induction now. I am just going to try to keep my carbs around 40 grams. I rinsed a can of pinto beans and put them in the crockpot with a serving (2 oz) kielbasa and water after heating it in the microwave. I plan to have half of it tonight with tomatoes and chopped onion and save the other half for later in the week. Can't remember the carbs for it, but my calories at the end of the day will be around 1400 calories, total net carbs 33. So I think that will be good.

Carol Sue There are just a few things that I want to keep in my food plan which may mean that I will be eating lowcarb, but not extremely low. However, I really don't want to even get near 100 g at least while losing weight. Since I've pretty much decided to eat whole fat foods instead of FF or LF, I don't really want to add fat to my food either. I know what they say about HF and I really believe so far that some of the foods that I like that are not FF/LF makes the fat intake at the end of the day higher than the grams of protein which seems to be the way I understand things should be on LCHF.

I cannot do the Egg Fast either or I choose not to. The one I read recommended a certain amount of butter/fat with each egg. Sorry can't remember if it was tsp or tblsp, but I don't want to eat even 1 tsp of fat to 1 egg ratio. So I don't think that is acceptable for me either with the results issues I seem to have with too much fat intake. I'm not ready to take a chance of that.

Shannon Hope the move is getting better.

Rennie Hope things are going well for you.

Donna, dgramie, and Everyone else Hi
Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #158  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Happy belated birthday Trish!!!

OMG, this move is killing me!! We all spent 7 hrs at the old house Sat filling up the truck and a UHaul trailer! Our new house is filled with boxes, you can't even get through the garage anymore. The good news is we are very close to being done at the old house. We have a painter repairing holes, touching up paint and repainting the worst areas and I've convinced hubby to pay to have someone else clean it. Hopefully we can get it on the market within the week. I am so ready to be in the new house full time....it is in crisis mode here...boxes everywhere!
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #159  

Shannon This will get better, but I know how you feel. It seems so far away. When we sold our house in FL, there were things we were going to give away. The lady who bought our house said for us to leave whatever we didn't want and she would either use it or give it away. Sure made that end easy for us. Tony had already done a lot of clean up as we went, touch up paint etc. We still have boxes we never opened. We just don't have room for all of it especially since his daughter and her family moved in. Then when they left DGS stayed here. I would love to have that room to put things in. Oh Well. Two more years before he graduates from college so that is just a dream for now.

Well, DH and I had a bad eating day. I did so well for a while, but then last night we were both starving. We decided we wanted popcorn. Well, totally ruined my diet yesterday. I know it was just a snack, but fbs was 147 and weight up 1.8 lbs. I was so mad at myself.

As I laid in bed beating myself up, I thought... "What would I say if it was one you ladies?" So I decided, that was yesterday. Today is a new day and all isn't lost if I get up and get back OP. I've decided to go back to moderate low carb the way I was eating before I got caught up on the LCHF stuff. I think I can do Moderate LC Moderate Fat, but it just screws up my system to do HF. It just doesn't work for me. In trying to do LCHF, I'm not eating balanced even for LC. Eating LCHF needs more sodium and that isn't me either. So I will do a what I will call a MLCMF way of eating.

Company coming in a few minutes so I'll be back later.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #160  

Shannon, believe it or not, the worst is over. Just open the boxes you need right away, then open the others as they are needed. We went through that when we moved. At least you have a very big house now with room to have the boxes sitting around for a while. It was a good idea to hire someone to clean the old house. You have enough to do!

Trish, everyone tweaks to fit into their own lifestyle. It will work out fine. What will you tell the woman who was advising you? Maybe you can fit the LCHF in, but not every day.

I wanted to change something to shake things up, at least temporarily. I am considering 5:2. Four days of low carb, two days of 500 cals and 1 carb day. Also, I am going to try to fit this into IF with an 8 hour eating window. I realize that 5:2 is a form of IF. I don't know how many calories I'm going to go to on the 4 LC days. I will have to decide on that. But I have to allow a carb day for days when DH wants lasagne, or pasta. In the book I am reading Cholesterol Clarity, they said that the way to raise HDL and lower Triglicerides is to do LC and exercise daily, and also IF with a 16 hr fast. I did the 16 hr fast after dinner until this morning. It was a little tough because I'm used to some snacking in the evening but I made it, and I'm still not really hungry for breakfast yet. I am already down 1 more pound this morning and FBG was 114. That's great for me. I'm still not sure how I will do the 500 cal days, but I have some ideas I picked up from reading about JUDDD, which is 500 cals every other day. A little too strict for me. LOL I think between now and when I get labs done again in October I should be able to make a difference in my labs. If not, then I know I tried my best.

I also wanted to ask you about the Tumeric/Curcumin. Are you still taking it? What were you taking it for? I have to take back what I said about not taking supplements, because there was mention in the book about Curcumin helping with heart disease and also blood sugar, so I bought some and am going to give it a try.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #161  

Carol Sue I was taking curcumin because it was supposed to help with the blood sugar and some other things, but I can't remember right now. Since I've learned that the CO was my problem, I just might be able to use it. May try it again in a few days. I've got busy days for the next few days so may try it again when I will have time to handle any discomfort if I have any problems.

I still may follow the ratio of carb to fat to protein, but just not as high as others do. I'm not sure. My lifestyle just seems to have to have a few days to allow for some carby foods once in a while. I'm just not sure how to work that in. If I decide not to go as strict as the lady does, I will just be honest with her that my system just cannot handle it. I'm shooting for lowering my fbs below 120 and I will do what I have to do to do that.

I do know that I can do IF 12 to 16 hr fast everyday. I've done that. I also know that I like to do 3 meals and preferably no snacks. So I might could do a 6 day low carb with the fat a little higher and allow one day for carbs. I just know I have to figure this out so I can do it so that it is something I can live with and that works for me. MFP does help with me being able to see the ratios so that I might can still the carby day, but use the ratios even on those days. I will figure it out.

Good luck with your plan.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #162  

I got way off track the past few days. I ate my weight in fingerfoods. My stomach is reminding me that I will pay the price for bad eating.
My fbs was 83 today. I skipped dinner last night because I had grazed all day long.
My goal for today is only drink water, no soft drinks. I can't believe I allowed myself to ever get hooked again.
I am going to really watch processed carbs and portions sizes today.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #163  

I have a new grand baby coming in march. All my others live out of town and we just keep them from time to time. Well #6 will live in our town and I will help keep it while mommy works. Mommy is a bouncer and walker. So it's time for this Grammie to get in shape!! My energy is at an all time low and I'm sick of it.
When my first grand baby arrived ( 6yrs ago in oct.)I was 30 lbs lighter than I am today. Time to stop beating myself up for gaining and get off the weight. I have 30 wks.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #164  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramie View Post
I have a new grand baby coming in march. All my others live out of town and we just keep them from time to time. Well #6 will live in our town and I will help keep it while mommy works. Mommy is a bouncer and walker. So it's time for this Grammie to get in shape!! My energy is at an all time low and I'm sick of it.
When my first grand baby arrived ( 6yrs ago in oct.)I was 30 lbs lighter than I am today. Time to stop beating myself up for gaining and get off the weight. I have 30 wks.
That's great news and incentive for you!!
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #165  

I am so off plan. I am going back to my 1000 mg Metformin. I am also going back to Intermittent Fasting. I am going to do the 16/8 daily. The only way that will change is when I get into it again, there are days I will do 19/5 when I'm not all that hungry. I will take the Metformin with the last meal of the day.
I know there are days when I will be eating carbs, because that seems to be my lifestyle, but I will work at keeping them to a minimum. Maybe more of a modified paleo/primal diet.

DH doesn't like a lot of fat and actually now that I've been trying to eat more fat, I know that I don't like it either. I do know I like beans and greens and some fruit. Primal gives room for those minus the beans although as I was researching last night there are those who modify primal and eat some beans and grains. So there must be room to make a plan that can be modified and work for me.

I just decided today that I've tried things a lot of different ways and I need to figure out how to put them together to work for me personally. I caught myself wanting sweets yesterday and I am not going to get on that merry-go-round again. Stopping it in its tracks today. I think that shows me that I'm not being satisfied with what I'm doing and so it is time to change it.

I know I feel better when I don't eat anything until around 11 or 12. I've always been that way. I think getting up and eating right away has become a habit, not hunger. I need to listen to my hunger signals (Intuitive Eating) again like I did on my trip. I seemed to have more control on my trip than I do now. I realize that was because food wasn't available all the time like it is at home. It's kind of like the experience you had Carol Sue the day you and DH went shopping and went so long without eating. You said you didn't get hungry and didn't even think about food. We did the same thing on our trip. And when we did eat we even ate some things that were REALLY NO NOs like the caramel coffee on the way home that you would have thought would have shot our blood sugar to the moon, but it didn't hurt us. In fact, it was so sweet we couldn't drink all of it and with all the things I did eat on the that trip, I came home with a weight loss. FBS was a little high, but not as high as it could have been.

I think it was because I also made a lot of good healthy choices.

Anyway, the first step is to get back on IF/IE again and to go from there. I think my friend and I are going to a Mexican restaurant tonight because she has a coupon. It is one of my favorite places to eat that DH hates. So I have decided that I will either get tacos or taco salad. I won't eat a lot today since I know that is going to be more carby. Might even try to have only a 5 hr eating window today.

Have a good day chickies.