Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #226  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Aww Carol Sue, I just want to come hug you! That would frustrate me too. I will say a prayer for you!

All this packing, trips out of town and stress over whether this move is really going to happen is about to put me over the edge. I can't get back on plan completely bc I don't have the time I used to have for cooking and I'm just eating whatever I am able to throw together. Yesterday I ate cereal for the first time in 4 months Hubby says "no, you can't give up, you have to keep on for your BS levels". I agree but it's just not happening right now. So, I'm not giving up but I'm not really eating low carb at every meal anymore and I'm not going to steess too much about it. My blood draw is Friday, it probably will not show as much improvement as I was hoping but at least my weight loss will show so hopefully my dr will still be pleased. I will need to find a new dr by end of year but this draw and appt will buy me some time to do that.

The latest drama is waiting on some quotes so we can decide what to say to the sellers about the home inspection. It was mostly good but a couple things we feel it is right for them to take care of, the main thing being a safety issue with the decking. I think they will refuse (just the feeling I get from the wife's personality from interacting with her during the inspection). If they refuse I think my husband is ready to walk from the house on principle. I will follow what he thinks is best, it's just stressful to me since I withdrew Olivia from preschool here already and registered her there, have cancelled several other things here, have moved two loads of our belongings to storage there, etc.

We are headed to a playdate so I will check back later.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #227  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I know how you feel. Right now I feel like a failure, but we are NOT failures unless we allow this to derail us and we give up. We have done this before and together WE ALL on this thread CAN DO IT AGAIN.

I know there are some things I'm not going to give up so I'm just going to incorporate them into my eating plan. We both like beans and feel they are important for us and on some low carb type of diets they are allowed. I feel the same way about fruit. So I believe we just have to work out a plan where we include them. If that means counting calories for me, then I will just have to count them.

My latest culprit has been sugar and flour in the form of 1 doughnut each day. I know have the warning sign of a rash under my right breast that tells me that I better stop it. Today is my 1st day back OP.

Shannon I'm sorry about all the stress with the house and the move. I pray things will begin to go in your favor. Your DH is right. Just don't give up when it comes to taking care of yourself and you bs. I still believe eating the best way you can will work in your favor. You have done so well.

Well, I'm thinking maybe we should all pray for each other since we all seem to be having a tough time of it. I know the Lord will help us if we just ask and trust Him to do so.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Good Morning, Chickies,

Still not up to par, but feeling better than yesterday. I've decided that although I'm back where I started with weight too high and fbs back up to 145 this morning that I would rather do this slower without the meds like glimiperide. I just don't care for the quick low effect.

Trish, this made me laugh, because this morning my FBS was 179. I took my metformin and glimiperide and ate breakfast of 2 eggs and 2 slices of my lite bread toasted. I figured the glimiperide would take care of the carbs in it, and it is higher fiber whole grain. Two hours later my bs was 188. So much for a "quick low effect." I took another half pill and now, two hours later, it's at 158. Coming down, but not a quick drop. I think if it's giving you a quick drop, then you probably don't need it. I ate some sugar snap peas for lunch as I usually just do veggies for lunch and I'm making chili with beans for dinner. I'm hoping to have my blood sugar below 120 by dinner time. It's been above 150 for the past couple days. I need to get it down and then stay away from the carbs to keep it there! Staying away from the kale isn't doing anything for my psoriasis, so I might as well go back to eating it, because at least that keeps me from craving the carbs. This is a bunch of CRAP! I do have one thing that I am very thankful for. The PS is not on my face or neck. Mostly it is covered with clothing and I use moisturizer to camaflage it. I want it gone, along with this fat belly. If I can have that, I will learn to live with the painful hands.

Shannon, I sure would welcome that hug!!! It seems that all 3 of us are going through the same trials at the same time, just for different reasons. I think your weight loss is a big plus, as overall, it will effect your blood sugar in the end. You are headed in the right direction.

I understand how your hubby feels about the things they found with the inspection, and I understand how you feel about getting this far and then backing out of the sale. But you all have to be satisfied. This is going to be your home. If it is a safety issue, you have a young child to worry about. I think no matter who buys the house they are going to have to correct the issue. Maybe if the sellers realize they are going to lose the sale they will see things your way. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #229  

Interesting bs reading. My fbs was 145 this morning. I had my coffee with French vanilla Coffemate ( use the little tubs for portion control) with Stevia and coconut oil. Made an Atkins shake with 1/2 banana and 2 strawberries. Had 2 more c of coffee throughout the morning same as with the shake. I also drank some of the ACV/lemon/ginger drink. Checked bs just before lunch and it was 95. My highest reading yesterday was 3 hrs after lunch. I'm having an Atkins Sesame chicken stir-fry frozen dinner for lunch. I will check bs 3 hrs after to see how it does.

Carol Sue Yesterday I thought of you when I had the Atkins frozen chili with beans for dinner and I loved it. It is going to be one of my favorite meals.

I also liked their Crustless chicken pot pie I ate the night before last. So far the only Atkins meal that I don't like is their Swedish meatballs. Not sure what the spice is that I don't like in it, but I think it was ginger. I like ginger, however, I think the problem might just be the fact that it tastes like they used too much of it. I'll have to see if I can find a different low carb recipe I can make of my own as it is one of my favorite foods. Oh also for those of us who do low carb, but not AI, I notice that they do use carrots in their dinners which will be helpful when I start making some of my own low carb meals. If nothing else, these frozen dinners are helping me to learn how to cook better low carb meals.

My DH never has understood my always wanting to learn to eat low carb. Today, I showed him the rash I have under my right breast and told him, "Now you know why it is important for me to learn to eat low carb". I don't think he will question me about it any more. And with the help of my meter to see the result above, I believe I am also finding my incentive to do it.

Perhaps sharing my experience with all of you will help me too.

Carol Sue You know I also remember my doc saying he didn't want to put me on glimiperide because it would cause me to gain weight instead of losing. Maybe there is something to that after all. We will do this.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #230  

Just checking in to say that my bs 3hrs after the Atkins Sesame chicken and 1 oz cashews for dessert was 107. I've learned that my highest bs reading is usually 3 hrs after so I am very happy with this.

I'm taking the leftover cornish hen and adding a snap green peas frozen stir-fry and soy sauce (I'm starting to love soy sauce) to make a stir-fry and having a nice salad with it. I have a polish sausage with string cheese planned for a snack later if I need it. I'm starting to feel pretty good.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #231  

Yesterday, before dinner, I only got down to 132. Two hours after dinner I was at 166 and was disappointed, but at 3 hrs I was at 114! I think the beans in my chili caused my digestion to be a little slower. Then I made a fatal mistake. I had a snack before bed. I cooked some mixed vegetables, which I love, but they contain carby veggies, corn, carrots and peas. My fbs was 156 this morning. I know from past experience that I am NOT one who can eat a snack before bed as they suggest. I can only have a low FBG if I go to bed on an empty stomach. A low BS reading makes me think "I can eat something!" when I'm better off it I just eat my meals.

Today we are going to the funeral home in the afternoon, then to my son's to watch my grandson so they can go. The woman who passed away was a neighbor from the old neighborhood. She worked in the school cafeteria so she was home when the kids were home. Since our kids were latch-key kids they always knew they could go to her house in an emergency. Our kids were always locking themselves out of the house and they knew they could go to her house to use the phone, use the bathroom and sometimes she gave them lunch if they were locked out. We have since moved away (10 miles) but my kids are still in touch with her kids and they are heartbroken. She was everybody's Mom. So far they have never been faced with the death of someone close to them. It has always been older relatives. Now they are in their 40s so the people passing away are some they were close to. It's a different feeling. Lately it seems that we have a funeral once a month.

We will be going to eat somewhere before we go to son's house rather than coming all the way home. I will have to think of what I can eat at various places. I can only think of one place where I can order good fish. I'm not too familiar with the other restaurants in the area.

Trish, my DH is potato king. He loves potatoes and usually wants them every day, and also sweets. He says you will never get fat eating potatoes, because HE never gets fat. He does not eat much bread though, and that is my worst food for weight and BS. When I was first diagnosed in 2008 he got mad every time I tested because he said I was NOT diabetic. He is now starting to understand. He has seen one neighbor lose her eyesight and her husband lose some toes due to diabetes. He told me that if he was ever diagnosed he would NOT take any meds or test. He said he would change his diet and exercise and do whatever it takes to keep his BS normal. That's so easy to say when you are not in that position. I hope that never happens because he will never quit eating his potatoes or sweets.

I'm glad things are going so well for you, Trish. I hope I'm not far behind.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-30-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #232  

My fbs was 134 this morning. Bedtime bs was 141. I don't understand how it can be so good throughout the day and be high like that at bedtime and fbs. My doc once told me that 1st we get the fbs under control and then we work on the readings throughout the day. But my readings throughout the day are good. It is the fbs and the bedtime readings that are higher. So confusing. Anyway according to all I've read, if I keep up what I'm doing with low carb it will eventually all balance out.

Carol Sue I was very tired when I took the bedtime reading. I decided to go to bed because that is when I sometimes cave in and have a snack. When I saw the 141, I knew from previous experience that if I had a bedtime snack that it would make my fbs higher in this morning. I chose to just go to bed. DH saw me checking all day and asked why I was checking so much. I explained that I had been very careful to low carb all day and I was checking at various times to see how my bs readings were because I wanted to know for sure that it really works for me. I told that I wouldn't have to check it like that everyday once I know how it affects my bs. So I can't eat a bedtime snack before bedtime either. Plus since I don't eat one, I notice that I am sleeping better. I still wake up to go potty but not as often.

The interesting thing about Tony is that his 1st wife died from diabetic complications. She lost toes and was blind. If she had survived her heart surgery, she would have lost her legs. He and she talked and being a Christian, she chose to have them pull the plug and let her go on to Heaven. One of the things I promised him before we married was that I would do my best to take care of myself so he not I would have to go through that type of situation again. My previous hubby didn't have diabetes that we know of, but he did have CHF. While I don't want him to go through that situation again, I don't want me to go through what she did. Thus I continue to work at getting this thing under control. It is just so confusing. For a long time he could not understand why she didn't do what she needed to do to get the bs under control. I've seen home movies of her and what she ate in them and Tony's Mother used to tell me about making diet foods for her. So I've tried through the years to explain to him that she it wasn't her fault because she followed the ADA diet that they provided for her and that all those carbs are what killed her. Sometimes I think he still doesn't understand it because I see what he eats. I hope I can get this way of eating working for me so I can be an example to him and my daughter who is diabetic and insists that she is eating right because she follow the diet her doctor tells her to follow which is the normal diabetic diet.

Weight is coming back down again slowly. Darn it, why is it that it can go on sooooo fast and come off so slow. I'm not sure how many carbs I ate yesterday, but my calories were right around 1600 which from what I understand isn't bad for low carbing. The protein and fat was higher than MFP recommends, but it is supposed to be so not concerned about that either.

Carol Sue Good luck eating out today. I am going with my beautician tomorrow to the doctor. She has a cyst and isn't sure if he will do anything tomorrow or not. I've heard he probably won't, but she has no family here so I'm going with her. We will probably eat out after especially if he doesn't do anything. I don't know much about where the doctor's office is because it is in the next town over from us and I'm hoping we can eat somewhere where I can stay OP. If I can stay OP today and tomorrow without having to throw in a CAD day, I will have 3 days OP. We can do this friend. We just have to take it one day and some times one meal at a time.

Shannon Hope things are going good for y'all on the house and you are able to figure out how to not let the stress derail you. You have done great.

Rennie It was good to hear from you. I didn't mean to ignore you. I was just so upset with myself. Glad you have a new job that is going good for you and your eating plan.

Donna, dgramie, moonkissed and others reading

Have a great day!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #233  

Height: 5'7"

Fbs was 82 today. I am pumped about it. I worked my tail off yesterday so I'm sure it was from a low carb day and lots of exercise.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #234  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramie View Post
Fbs was 82 today. I am pumped about it. I worked my tail off yesterday so I'm sure it was from a low carb day and lots of exercise.
That is great dgramie. So very happy for you. Hoping that Carol Sue and I aren't too far behind you.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #235  

My day isn't going as planned. This morning DH told me that he wants to go to the funeral home early. So now we are back home and he's already asked what's for dinner. I guess he didn't like my plan of going later. We don't really have time for me to make something before we have to leave for his son's house so I guess we will go somewhere nearby. It's an hour's drive to his sons, and we were already 1/3 of the way there at the funeral home. Oh well, DH does what he wants to do and I just go along with him. I know the menus of all the restaurants around our house so I won't have trouble avoiding carbs. When I was first diagnosed I was able to follow the diet the doctor had me on. I was eating 1800 calories a day and 5 carbs per meal, but that's when I learned how small a portion of carbs actually is. I had an egg, a slice of toast, a bowl of oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. For lunch I had a portion of protein, veggies, fruit and a dinner roll, and the same for dinner. I was allowed sugar free jello and crackers and cheese at bedtime. I had milk at each meal, and that counts as a carb. I think the milk helped me lose weight, but I don't drink it now. I probably should. I kept my blood sugar down and lost weight on that diet. After I came home from the hospital I gradually started eating larger portions and all heck broke loose!

Dgramie, you are doing very well with your bs. Hope your DH is doing the same!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #236  

Carol Sue Don't you just love how these hubbies can change our plans on a dime? Mine does that to me all the time. There have been times that he did this to me and we end up someplace where I can't work out a low carb meal and just have to do the best I can.

Interesting thing yesterday which may be a new thing to look at for me. I started back to small groups Bible study last night. I usually eat my dinner between 6 to 7:30 pm. Our meeting is at 7 pm. I wasn't hungry and decided to eat when I got home. I had to go to Walmart after the meeting to pick up a prescription and a few groceries. So it was like 9 before I even got home. I am hooked on Atkins frozen Chili Con Corne so I had picked up 2 of them while at the store. It is almost like eating a chili dip with beans and I have a tendency to want chips with it or even crackers so I decided to pick up some pork skins to eat with it. I came home and had a serving with it.

When I went to bed, I realized that when I got home, I was starving. Of course, normally I would never have waited until I was hungry to eat that late that is the reason I always have a dinner at least by 7 pm so I don't eat late. 3 things I noticed by this experience #1 I was starving (hunger signal) when I ate probably around 9:30 once I got groceries put away and changed clothes. #2 I ate only the 1 serving of chili and a small amount of pork skins which I've never eaten a small amount of them. #3 I was perfectly satisfied. That is what IE teaches you to do and guess what? My FBS was 128 this morning.

I'm re-thinking all this. #1 I read somewhere on line where a doctor said there are many ways to do Intermittent Fasting and he said one is where you wait hours between meals instead of eating a bunch of small meals or fasting 24 hrs etc. Intuitive Eating tells you to eat only when you are truly hungry, eat what you really want (I was almost craving the chili dinner) and eat until satisfied. Interesting experience to say the least.

I'm ending this month with a gain of .6. I will have to change my ticker later today.

Taking friend to doctor today so I am headed out with a day where I'm not sure what it will bring with it eating wise or anything else. Depending on where we end up being able to eat, I may end up with a Carbohydrate Addicts Diet's carby type meal.

Y'all have a good one. Remember WE CAN DO THIS!!!

BBL
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #237  

We ended up going to a local restaurant where we each got an angus burger. I got mine with lettuce, tomato and onion, no bun, and DH got his with bacon but gave me his lettuce, tomato and onion. He ate the bun and had french fries on the side. I had cole slaw. I normally don't like restaurant hamburgers, but if it's an angus burger it tastes like meat and I like it. When I came home from babysitting I tested and was at 144, but I was at 126 this morning. It's heading back to normal, so I'm happy. It's very unusual for my AM fasting to be lower than at bedtime. I had my scrambled eggs with mushrooms for breakfast and have a pot roast defrosting for dinner tonight. I haven't been on the scale lately because I feel fat. I will weigh again when I think I've lost. LOL

I too like when I'm out and about doing things and I forget about food. My stats are always so much better. When I was still working I did a lot of snacking at work and I thought I would really lose weight after retiring, but I still eat, I just don't eat snack food. But food is food and calories are calories. Even though I had a desk job, I probably moved more at work than I do at home.

My DIL is very weight/health concious. There was NO snack food in their house last night when we were babysitting. LOL Even my 5 year old grandson snacks on veggies, yogurt and cheese sticks. He IS allowed a brownie if he eats a good dinner. But it's very surprising to see him grabbing pepper and celery strips!!

Shannon, I hope you have good news for us today!

Our thread is starting to slow down again. Come on! Don't let our gabbiness scare you away!! We want to hear from all of you!!! I can SEE you...I know you're out there lurking. LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-31-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #238  
300+ Chick

Hello Ladies...

Dgraime..Good work on the low FBS..It seems low carb plan works for you and hoping it continues staying stable.

Sounds like we all struggling and good to know am not alone. I gave up low carb last week, was dealing with consitpation with low carb...So I am now eating whole grains instead. My FBS is high and low...Last week it once hit at 94 without any eating...and once I am back eating normal..its slowly giving me a different reading..This morning was 113..

I need to do more movements and drink plenty of water..but been busy lately and I do 30 min walking, but could do more.

I wish I can do low carb if was giving me issues with bowel problems.

My food choices for today was lousy..ate pizza..about 7 small slices..No walking..just 20 min walk to get the darn pizza.

I am reading and thinking of all of you...Finding the right plan to beat or prevent diabetes..It scares me now and worried about my FBS readings to go down. I even splurged on cookies and ice cream...Ugh!!

Have a good one and stay strong ladies...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #239  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Hello everyone.

My name is Billie. You can call me that or Zinke. I'm a 39yo mom of b/g twins that will be turning 10 in two short months. I have PCOS that I suffered from for years before being diagnosed at 27yo. I was diagnosed at 30yo with hypothyroidism. The same doc that diagnosed the PCOS and hypoT also told me I had insulin resistance. I took metformin/glucophage to get pregnant but it never resulted in any weight loss for me. Maybe if I would have tried to change my diet it might have. And since we decided we weren't having any more kids I don't care if I ever have another period again. So needless to say I haven't been good about keeping up taking the metformin/gluc. I've never taken the PCOS or IR seriously. My A1C had always been between 4-5. Fast forward a few years and now I'm nearly 300 pounds and almost 40 years old. I just had all my yearly lab work and for the first time things really weren't good. My FBS was 112 and A1C is up to 5.8.

I know I need to start making changes. I used to be quite active on the 3FC boards years ago. Since there are no magic pills I decided this was a good place to come back to. I'm just learning about all this blood sugar stuff and when I should test and how often. I will admit to being more of a lurker than a poster but I'll try to work on changing that.

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #240  

Billie Glad you found us.

We ended up eating at Cracker Barrel when my friend was finished at the doctor's office. I ate the grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing and had the veggie soup with it instead of the baked potato and ate 1 corn muffin since I'm not cutting out grains completely. I did was pleased with my choice and will see if there is any problem when I check FBS in the morning.

I'm really tired so headed to bed. Catch y'all tomorrow.
Closed Thread