Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #61  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Hello Gail Welcome to the party It is pretty scary at first when you find out but it gets better.

I am having a bad morning. My dog was attacked this morning on our daily walk. She is ok, it didn't break the skin. But I am a wreck. I feel guilty because I pushed us to walk farther then we normally do. because we have been walking a mile and I wanted to up it to 1.5. It happened so fast, and she is such a tiny thing it could have been so horrible, so we are so lucky. But it gave me a huge panic attack.

This morning my FBS was 145 and I ate right after testing it 3 hours later it was 168.... My breakfast was 38 carbs (oatmeal & granola), but I took that walk right after I ate. But my anxiety probably didn't help it.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Gail and WELCOME!!! Can't add anything to the advice you've already gotten as it is all good and exactly what I would say. Just be patient as you test and learn as this is definitely a journey of learning experiences. You are in the right place and we are hear to encourage each other.

My fbs was up to 147 today and weight was down .2 lbs. Checked inches and down 1.75 inches. That is always so confusing to me. However, I know this is due to too many carbs. I really must work at learning my limit.

You know my doctor thought it weird when I told him a while back that I needed to start testing after foods again so I could learn what my body does and doesn't spike my fbs. Carol Sue, you testing after the oatmeal has made me think that maybe I should do that. I know that I do want to include "some" carbs in my diet, so maybe I should just start testing to see what can fit into my food plan and what can't.

I remember in the Intuitive Eating book, one woman was told by one of the nutritionist to write down what foods that she really liked and make those her guide for what to eat. I'm thinking you could do that with testing for controlling blood sugar. Actually, I got the impression that this is what my step-sister's hubby did when he was diagnosed with T-2 diabetes. He made a list of the foods that he ate and tested after he ate them. From this list, he learned what he could and could not eat. Example, he eats one Egg McMuffin on the way to work, but removes the top of the bun because his bs doesn't rise when eating Egg McMuffin unless he eats the whole bun. He keeps peanuts with him and on his desk at work to keep his bs constant. Knowing this and hearing what we are all doing, I think it just takes testing to learn "how" to keep bs under control.

I am going to start doing this tomorrow.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-06-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Moonkissed, I'm glad your little doggy is OK. He is probably scared now, too. This is why I no longer walk my dog. One time a dog up the street came running out after us, and one time we were walking our 2 dogs in the industrial park and a woman came along with a big dog and he was pulling her across the road trying to get at our dogs. We were at the point that we got in the car and came home. It wasn't enjoyable for the dogs or for us.

Did you test after you came back from the walk? I wonder if walking brought your glucose down. If I test fasting and I'm over 130 I will not eat carbs. Luckily I like eggs so I eat them mostly for breakfast. Maybe if you try eating some protein before you eat your oatmeal it will keep you from getting an increase in blood sugar. If you like eggs, add 1 egg and make a smaller portion of the oatmeal. This is just a suggestion. At 38 gm of carb you are within the ADA recommendation of 45 gm of carb per meal.

Trish, for years I ate and loved those McDonald's breakfast sandwiches, but since I have started making my scrambled eggs with all the veggies I no longer like to eat breakfast out. This morning DH wanted to go for breakfast and I ended up eating toast with it, which I normally wouldn't do, but it came with the meal. I could have left it, but I didn't. Bread is very hard for me to resist.

I wonder why your doctor thought it was weird to test after eating. I know on another board there was a type 1 guy who thought we were strange testing AFTER meals, but when you are on insulin you have to test BEFORE meals to know how much insulin you need.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #64  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Hi Gail to the thread. I agree with Carol Sue and Shannon whole heartedly. Make sure you are keeping an accurate food journal. It will definitely be your best friend. Some of us use my fitness pal and some use Fitday. Which ever you choose I say make sure the carbs are correct on the foods. You will see how they are effecting your blood sugar. Also in listening to the ladies here, time is also key with the last thing you ate in the evening with your fasting blood sugar. Some have an evening snack and some don't. With the help of the people on this thread you will definitely find your way. And I was in denial for a long time also. I knew I was prediabetic since 2004 and did I watch it no, did I monitor it ever no. And here I am. Like Carol Sue my fbs was in the 200's most times (all of the time when I first started testing) and 300's sometimes too. But I have gotten it down into the low 100's with low carbing it.

Carol Sue I have noticed that crazy spike the few times I've tested at 3 hours. What is your input on the cause? Any research yet?

moonkissed, I'm sorry to hear that I would be a nervous wreck also. Glad you are both ok. Was it by another dog? Where was the owner?

Trish woohoo on the inches down, way to go

fbs down a little this morning to 116
Old 07-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #65  
Love Thyself

love2b150 yes it was another dog. The owner couldn't control them. They were walking past and I moved over so they had plenty of room to get by and the owner tried pulling them away but their dog was too big for them and just pulled over and lunged at my Trixie biting at her. It happened so fast. Luckily it didn't break the skin.

It made me even angrier the owner just said sorry and left. They didn't even make sure my dog was ok

Wannabehealthy Yeah I usually walk closer to home but I had decided to walk farther today boy do I regret it. I never imagined that would happen.

Yeah that 168 was a bit after I got home from the walk. Which is why I thought it was weird. Like maybe 30 mins or so.

I will definitely try the egg. I usually am hurrying in the morning to get outside to walk before it gets too hot lol and the oatmeal is so quick.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #66  
~Rennie

moonkissed and Carol Sue, I'm sorry either of you or anyone would have to go through that. Glad every ones ok
Old 07-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #67  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Moonkissed, I'm glad your little doggy is OK. He is probably scared now, too. This is why I no longer walk my dog. One time a dog up the street came running out after us, and one time we were walking our 2 dogs in the industrial park and a woman came along with a big dog and he was pulling her across the road trying to get at our dogs. We were at the point that we got in the car and came home. It wasn't enjoyable for the dogs or for us.

Did you test after you came back from the walk? I wonder if walking brought your glucose down. If I test fasting and I'm over 130 I will not eat carbs. Luckily I like eggs so I eat them mostly for breakfast. Maybe if you try eating some protein before you eat your oatmeal it will keep you from getting an increase in blood sugar. If you like eggs, add 1 egg and make a smaller portion of the oatmeal. This is just a suggestion. At 38 gm of carb you are within the ADA recommendation of 45 gm of carb per meal.

Trish, for years I ate and loved those McDonald's breakfast sandwiches, but since I have started making my scrambled eggs with all the veggies I no longer like to eat breakfast out. This morning DH wanted to go for breakfast and I ended up eating toast with it, which I normally wouldn't do, but it came with the meal. I could have left it, but I didn't. Bread is very hard for me to resist.

I wonder why your doctor thought it was weird to test after eating. I know on another board there was a type 1 guy who thought we were strange testing AFTER meals, but when you are on insulin you have to test BEFORE meals to know how much insulin you need.
I used to make the egg mcmuffin at home my version, but I don't do that any more. Those are only eaten when we travel. However, we didn't eat them as much this time. Since my son is a truck driver he had told me the truck stops had cleaner restrooms than most places. We found that a lot of them also had Huddle House or similar restaurant and we were able to get healthier breakfasts for most of our trip. With the Huddle Houses and Cracker Barrels, we found it much easier to stay closer to OP. When home, I prefer not to eat out for breakfast any more so we rarely do that any more.

My doctor didn't really object to me testing after foods/meals. He just felt at this point that I should already know what I could and couldn't eat. However, I'm not sure that is true since it seems that there are some things I can eat now that I previously could not and other things I used to be able to eat that I don't seem to be able to. Also, I've added so much stuff over the years that I think that maybe I should check it again. Also, I'm thinking that all brands of products are not created equal.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #68  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quick flyby just to say I'm still alive. Having an 8 year old boy here has been interesting and kept me busy to say the least. Olivia has been trying to do all sorts of things to mimic him and gotten hurt quite a few times. My eating has been beyond horrific the last two days, especially tonight at my brother and sister-in-law's gender reveal party (it's a girl!). I have been, umm, seriously backed up for almost two weeks and I have been eating everything like crazy in an attempt to get my intestines moving. BS has been whacked out as a result. I've had minimal improvement with laxatives and increased water....getting a bit desperate, lol! Hopefully more time to post tomorrow.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 07-06-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #69  

Just finished my breakfast of scrambled eggs with mushrooms, lentils and sliced tomato. No oatmeal today because DH made the scrambled eggs and I think it's more than 1 egg. Now I'm having a glass of milk. I am going to go back to milk. When I was in the hospital when diagnosed they gave me milk at every meal. I continued that for a long time after I came home, but then I started listening to the people who said you should NEVER drink cows milk for various reasons. In 68 years it hasn't killed me and I like it and feel better when I drink it. I think it helps make me feel full longer. I might try adding a bit of whey protein to it once in a while.

I am also going to stop testing as often. I now test 4-5 times a day. If I am eating low carb, my blood sugar should be staying low. I think I'm getting too obsessed with it. When I first started testing and insurance would only pay for 2 strips per day my doctor told me "one day test AM and after dinner. Next day test pre meal and at bedtime." No need for a type 2 to test repeatedly the way a type 1 has to, except when they are testing to see what spikes and what doesn't. Just my opinion, not necessarily a recommendation.

I am going to cut back on my computer time because I'm having painful hands lately...maybe carpal tunnel or RA. Is it any wonder? My posts are like mini-novels. LOL But don't think you're getting rid of me. I am just going to try getting online one time in the AM instead of checking in throughout the day. I'm going to see if that helps.

Shannon, my beans keep me regular! That's all I'll say! LOL

Moonkissed, sometimes the walking doesn't drop your glucose right away...it might take a couple hours to notice it, but it's mostly an all over drop.....if you exercise every day your blood sugar will be lower all the time. Also, if you break it down into 2 walks per day that's even better.

About the egg. You can make a couple hard boiled eggs to have on hand, and if you have an egg poacher you can make a couple well done poached eggs to have on hand. They make little poachers than go in the microwave. Eat the egg first so the carbs don't spike. And you can make a scrambled egg in a cup in the microwave in several seconds.

Rennie, Somewhere I heard that if you eat a food that you suspect will spike you and you don't have the spike at 2 hr, try 3 hr. Some foods take a little longer to spike. Also, if you eat protein/fat with a carb is is said to slow the absorption of the carbs. It won't necessarily eliminate the spike, just delay it. That 3 hour test will tell you.

Trish, our McDonald's receipt always has a coupon on it for a BOGO Egg McMuffin or Quarter Pounder if you go online and do their short survey. You write down the survey code and the coupon is good for 30 days. I make sure I always take my receipt, and one time DH went to get us breakfast and he grabbed someone else's receipt that they left sitting on the counter. He's learning! LOL I think they would even accept the coupon if it was expired because they don't even look at it when I use it.

OK, I'll be back tomorrow. This is going to be a very hard habit to break.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #70  
Love Thyself

Wannabehealthy I like normal milk too. I have tried soy & almond and the taste is a bit off to me & they always seem too sweet. But I don't drink milk, I have alittle in my oatmeal and stuff like that.

I am sorry you have painful hands I have carpel tunnel and its sooo not fun.

Quote:
Moonkissed, sometimes the walking doesn't drop your glucose right away...it might take a couple hours to notice it, but it's mostly an all over drop.....if you exercise every day your blood sugar will be lower all the time. Also, if you break it down into 2 walks per day that's even better.

About the egg. You can make a couple hard boiled eggs to have on hand, and if you have an egg poacher you can make a couple well done poached eggs to have on hand. They make little poachers than go in the microwave. Eat the egg first so the carbs don't spike. And you can make a scrambled egg in a cup in the microwave in several seconds.
Thanks You are so helpful! I will make an egg tomorrow for breakfast. That is smart idea so I can add in some veggies with breakfast too.

Shannonsnail I feel ya, I am going through a bit of the same thing right now. I think for me it might be the vitamin D I started taking. It started at the same time and I read it could be a side affect, since I started with such a high dosage right away. Meh. Hopefully it clears up for us both! Surely is not fun lol Yesterday was my weigh in and I didn't lose anything, (I didn't gain either) but I think that was why.

pattygirl63 I think its a good idea to check. I mean it surely doesn't do any harm? So why not if you feel it could be helpful.

I hope everyone has a great day. I got rained out so I changed my plans for the day. Instead I pulled out my Wii and did a workout. It was killer but fun.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #71  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Moonkissed I am up FOUR pounds from last Monday! I was so close to crossing into the 170s and now am almost 186!! I refuse to change my signature ticker, lol!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #72  
~Rennie

Carol Sue sorry about your hands and thanks for the information

Shannon and moonkissed, hope you get some relief soon Poor Olivia with mimicking her cousin, I'll bet she's enjoying the company for sure though.

Hi Trish
Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #73  

Well, I'm late posting today. My fbs was 145 this morning, but 3 hrs after breakfast was 121 so that is good news. Going out to eat with a friend to celebrate her birthday, but I picked Cracker Barrel because I can stay OP eating there. I'm doing Carbohydrate Addict's Diet again because I can control my bs spikes with that plan. Also, doing "my way", I can actually throw in some low carb days in there and maybe just use CAD as a planned off day where I eat low carb all day except for one carb meal. I lost weight doing that once before and not only lost weight but brought bs under control. I know CADers on a low carb site who do CAD and use MFP to keep up with the calories that they eat. I think that is a good idea as well. Since I'm losing weight slowly any way and getting the bs under control is the main goal right now, I think that would be a great way to do it.

Carol Sue Sorry about your carpal tunnel or RA. Actually, I've decided not to be on computer so much either. I will check in maybe even once a day, but I have decided to start making friends other than on pc and become more active.

I've been thinking a lot about the differences in my parents. My Mama was not a lazy person as she took care of the house, the lawn and us girls, but she never had to work. Daddy wouldn't allow it. I guess because he wanted everyone to know he took good care of her and us girls. He never allowed us girls to work until we grew up and he didn't have a choice. So Mama's activity was only what she wanted to do after doing what she had to for her family. My Daddy was ALWAYS busy/active. When Mama passed away, he just got busier. However, I think that is a big factor in him being as healthy as he is at 91. So I plan to take notice and follow suit.

I have a friend who wants me to join Eastern Stars with her. I've been putting her off, but have recently decided that I'm going to do it. We have a Bible Study group that I attended a few years ago, but quit when DH kids moved in. I just might go back although my friend has asked me to start a Bible Study in my home. So I'm praying about one of those. I think I just need to be MORE ACTIVE... or as some would say GET A LIFE, because I've just become to inactive in the past few yrs which I think has really contributed to my rise in bs.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. I love you guys because we can share so much of what we are feeling with each other.

Y'all have a great day and I'll check with y'all again tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #74  
Love Thyself

Last night after dinner/before bed my BS was 132 which is one point higher then the lowest its been.

This morning my BS was 122!! The lowest its been yet. I am so happy. Maybe the meds are now clearing up my system.

I know that is still high but I am just so happy. Going to keep watching and see if it stays lower or what though. It could just be a fluke lol
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #75  

Good morning! Yesterday after I posted, we went car shopping and got a new Malibu. We have wanted a new car for a while now but couldn't agree on what to get. We finally saw something we both liked.

This morning I had my doctor's appointment to review my recent labs. My A1c went from 9.7 to 6.6 and my doctor was so happy he asked me how I did it. I told him I changed my diet. My lipids were also good except for my triglycerides. The doctor said most diabetics have high triglycerides. I will have to research that and see what I can do to lower them.

I asked the doctor about my hands and he said without making a formal diagnosis he thinks it could be psoriatic arthritis because my psoriasis is flaring so badly right now. The meds they give you for that are very expensive and also hard on the body with a lot of serious side effects, so he said I could just continue to take the Tylenol Arthritis that I have been taking and see how it goes. So I don't think typing on the computer has anything to do with it. I love this forum and really love you guys, so I can't see me leaving here. You're stuck with me! LOL

Moonkissed, I think the 122 this morning was a sign that you are getting things under control. It doesn't usually drop suddenly, but slowly over time as you make lifestyle changes. For a long time, even with a good A1c, my fasting was in the 120s. My doctor never cared as long as my A1c was good. Keep up the good work!

Shannon, I hope things are going well for Olivia and her cousin. It's good for her to have another child around as long as she doesn't pick up any bad habits from him. LOL

Trish, you have a lot of activities lined up for you to try out. That's good. I am not a joiner and don't usually get involved with things like that. I will just need to find ways to get my activity level up on my own.

I came home from the doctor feeling such a sense of relief that my labs were good. I hadn't eaten anything before I went and I came home and had a mini carb binge. Just a stress reliever. It won't last. I will be back on plan by dinner time. I have a roast defrosting and will cook lots of veggies with it. There's storms predicted so we will be sticking around home most of the day. Don't want to take that new car out in a storm! LOL
Closed Thread