Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramie View Post
Just a fly by tonight to share the news. I do not have Barrett's esphogus! Just really bad Gerds. Also my breast biopsy was normal. No cancer!! Words can not express how relieved I am!!
Great news. Very happy for you Dgramie.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Dgramie, that's great news all the way around! I have a hiatal hernia and I used to have gerd symptoms but I quit eating late at night and eating fatty foods and I never get it anymore. I used to pop Pepcid like it was candy. I still have the hiatal hernia but it doesn't bother me unless that's why I have my chronic cough.

Rennie, this morning when I got up my Fitbit said 321 calories burned again. I am going to have to check it if I wake up in the middle of the night and see what it says. I think it calculates your estimated calories burned based on your age, weight, and activity level, which you enter into your online account when you set it up. I always list my activity level as low because I'm not exercising that much right now.

I have decided to cut back on my calories. Although I am eating healthy most of the time I am not losing as I should be. I have always been one who believed you should never go below 1200 calories but I am going to change my attitute about that. I know that lots of people do it, and they are probably the ones who are losing weight while I'm totally stalled!

Moonkissed, I know how you feel when you think you are eating right but your BS numbers are still high. It's possible that you are so insulin resistant that even carbs you ate earlier in the day are effecting your readings at night. Plus, it takes a while for the numbers to come down when you have been running high for a while. Try to cut out as much starchy carbs as you can...sweets, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta....even whole grain bread or sweet potatoes. Let your body get your glucose down, and then start to add small amounts of carbs until you start to see rises in your glucose, which tell you you are eating too much. Don't let yourself get too hungry...fill up on lots of vegetables. They are low calories and low carb, and the fiber in them helps lower glucose, too. Stay away from fruit for now if you can. Even though they are healthy, the sugar in them can raise your glucose. You can do this! Try testing before your meal, and then testing 2 hours later to see how the food you ate effected your glucose. It's possible that your glucose was already up before you ate your low carb dinner. All this testing can get annoying, but it's the best way to figure what and how much to eat. Once you get things under control and know what you can eat you won't have to test so much.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-03-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #33  

Height: 5'7"

Fbs was 106. I slept like a baby.
I am not a night time snacker. My Gerds would start out early in the day. I think my coffee triggered it. I have not had coffee in a wk and I can tell it's so much better.
I know losing weight will help more than anything else. I am on Prilosec twice a day for now. I plan to work extra hard to get the weight off.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #34  

Yes, I notice that coffee agrevates it. I usually only drink coffee when I first get up and sometimes not at all. Another thing that's bad is chocolate and before I was diagnosed with diabetes I ate an unbelievable amount of chocolate.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Just a quick flyby. Busy day today. DH and I are going to Sam's today to try and find some good steaks to grill tomorrow. My beautician, who is becoming a close friend, is coming tomorrow for a cookout and to visit with us. We are planning some carby foods, but I'm throwing some healthy stuff too. I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker and I am going to make strawberry ice cream to go with the strawberry dessert she is bringing. Strange thing is that I lost my instructions for my ice cream maker so I had to go on line to find them. I didn't remember that I can also make yogurt with this one. I found loads of recipes on the Cuisinart website so I may eventually look into making my own yogurt. I know I still have my book that came with it around here somewhere as I never throw that kind of stuff away... I just have to find it.

I read the article about the movie that Rennie shared. I just may purchase the movie as I know I would never get DH to read the article. However, Flat Head made it easier to understand. You know it really is making me wonder if I don't worry about "dieting" too much. I went 2 weeks eating intuitively not worrying about "is this on my diet" etc and I lost 2.8 lbs. I've come back home and trying to get back on "diet" and I've gained weight and my fbs has gone up. I'm going to be re-thinking this. So I just may get the movie to see what it has to say.

Any way got to get busy. Y'all have a good day. I see this new storm is headed up our east coast. Hope everyone stays safe.

BBL
Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #36  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Just a fly by tonight to share the news. I do not have Barrett's esphogus! Just really bad Gerds. Also my breast biopsy was normal. No cancer!! Words can not express how relieved I am!!
That is great news! I have horrific GERD and have taken Prilosec two pills per day for years now. I am hoping at some point I can cut back. I have noticed since changing to low carb I never have heartburn (even with prilosec) requring tums before bed which used to be a regular event. At some point I want to try one pill per day and see how I feel.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 07-03-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #37  

Trish, I agree that maybe you are doing too much thinking about your diet.

I don't eat steak very much so usually DH only gets steak when we eat out so I can order something else. I like grilled fish and DH doesn't like that. Today I bought 3 steaks to put in the freezer so when I want to make grilled fish for myself DH can have a steak. I got those 3 steaks for the same price he pays for 1 in Texas Roadhouse. Tomorrow we are having hot dogs and hamburgers, baked beans, corn on the cob and potato salad. I will eat my meat without buns and try to go lightly with the other things, but I won't worry about it much. I asked DH if he wanted me to make cookies and he said no. We don't usually have dessert, but there's ice cream here if he wants it.

This morning I took some extra time checking over my Fitbit account online and I was pleasantly surprised to see what all it has. It has a place to enter your foods, but I'm not sure how to do it or how extensive their food list is. It will compare your calories in to your calories burned as recorded on the Fitbit. You can enter your glucose readings 3 times a day, your A1c when you get it checked, your blood pressure every day. It automatically enters your activity from your Fitbit, plus you can enter additional activity. I don't understand that, because unless you don't wear your Fitbit, the activity on it should be all your activity. I know that swimming would have to be entered seperately because the Fitbit One cannot be worn in water. I guess that's why it has that.

This morning we stopped at the shopping center so I could go to the tanning salon. I walked all the way down to the salon before I realized it didn't open until 10 and it was 9:50. I could see DH going into the grocery store to get the corn, way down at the other end of the center. I could not get into the car because I didn't have my keys, and I couldn't call him because my phone was in the car. So I walked down to the store, which is about 2 blocks. Just as I went into the in door I looked over and saw him going out the out door. When someone else came in, I slipped back out and he was already walking up toward the car, so I yelled to him and we walked up together. It was uphill a bit, so it was harder than going downhill. Instead of complaining, I realized that was putting some more activity onto my Fitbit. That kind of thinking is going to make me move more so I will accumulate more steps. I am liking this Fitbit more than I thought I would.

Here I go getting all chatty again! LOL
Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #38  

Back again! Shannon, I wanted to let your know that my cauliflower casserole with the Guyere cheese turned out fabulous! I loved the taste. DH wouldn't even try it. He said it was too mushy, but it really wasn't. We like our cauliflower and broccoli well cooked, not crunchy. It was soft, but was still in the form of flowerettes. I don't think he liked the idea that it had cream cheese in it because he says he doesn't like cream cheese, but he never seems to have a problem with cheesecake! LOL Next time I will have to remind him that he's eating cream cheese. I don't think I will make the casserole again if I have to eat it all myself, but I would definately make it for a dinner when the whole family is over and might even try it with the Gouda. I thought the Guyere was expensive at $8.99 per pound but I saw the Gouda today at $9.99!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #39  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Back again! Shannon, I wanted to let your know that my cauliflower casserole with the Guyere cheese turned out fabulous! I loved the taste. DH wouldn't even try it. He said it was too mushy, but it really wasn't. We like our cauliflower and broccoli well cooked, not crunchy. It was soft, but was still in the form of flowerettes. I don't think he liked the idea that it had cream cheese in it because he says he doesn't like cream cheese, but he never seems to have a problem with cheesecake! LOL Next time I will have to remind him that he's eating cream cheese. I don't think I will make the casserole again if I have to eat it all myself, but I would definately make it for a dinner when the whole family is over and might even try it with the Gouda. I thought the Guyere was expensive at $8.99 per pound but I saw the Gouda today at $9.99!!!
Glad you enjoyed it! I get my gouda at Aldi. They sell it in 4-5 oz pkgs that are perfect. I can't recall how much they were. It is pricey though, I agree. With not purchasing as much junk food, milk (hubby agreed to cut back), bread, etc I seem to be able to afford the things I need for low carb without it making any large dents so far. Last night I was able to pick up a bunch of squash and cukes from my brother's overflowing garden! There is a girl in my low carb group growing cauliflower!!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 07-03-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #40  
~Shannon

FBS 114 today, elevated for me. Not surprising though, my evening was way off plan with eating dinner out of town and coming home to find hubby saved me his egg roll. I love egg rolls!

I have been busy in the kitchen today. Picked up a marked down roast and got it in the crock for mexican shredded beef that I plan to freeze for later use. Just washed up a ton of strawberries and blueberries so I could get the original containers out of the fridge. My cousin's son is going to stay with us from Friday to probably Tuesday. Her dad is having triple bypass so she needs to be with her mom at the hospital. She lives in SC and her dad is here in NC. Her son's dad, her ex husband, is well, awful, so she didn't want him spending any extra time there so I offered. Our house has no guest room so this will be interesting. I am cleaning and trying to empty the fridge so I can go grocery shopping. Leftovers and produce need dealing with. Our house, as usual, is a disaster. Too much stuff, not enough places to put it.

Saw 8 houses yesterday, 3-4 were nice but about $60K more than our house (we are trying to stay within about $25K of ours). Still just sick over the perfect house :-( the only good to come out of this is that hubby and I both are no longer willing to settle for less than perfect (for us).

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 07-03-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #41  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

I had a post on here this afternoon and I must have forgotten to hit enter

dgramie glad to hear things are better than you thought

Carol Sue I think we always have to switch things up on this journey. I know I have to change up often to keep the number on the scale moving
Nice walk you had today, yay for lots of movement Carol Sue your cookout food sounds delish I didn't realize the fitbit did so much. I definitely want one now Oh yesterday I went to the mall and guess what? Forgot the pedometer. I wanted to kick myself. My son told my daughter to count my steps, she said are you serious?? kids are funny

Trish, I still haven't watched it yet and the trial ends tomorrow. I do like the article though My little daughter has a recipe she makes ice cream with in a bag. Something she got at school I think. It only makes a small amount but it makes her happy.

Shannon you all's dish sounds like the mock mac n cheese. Is that what it is? I've made that with cheddar, cream cheese and sour cream, only my youngest will eat it with me, so good. I've also made the mock potato salad. Now that is great Oh my goodness you and your cooking, I so wish I could be your sampler, and I wish I could get veggies from a garden, oh how I miss that. Good for you I'm sure she appreciates you opening your doors to her son, great heart I hope you all find your dream home soon

Last edited by love2b150; 07-03-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #42  

I sure hope my Carolina girls are safe and sound! I heard that Arthur didn't actually come inland but instead went up the coast, but you probably got residual weather.

Rennie
, the Fitbit also works with a smartphone but I don't have one and can't see buying one just to use with the Fitbit. It works fine just with the computer. It's an amazing little tool! It said my calories burned were a little over 1700, so now I know that without adding actual exercise to the mix I will have to cut back on my eating in order to lose. I have good intentions but haven't made it lately. You know what they say about good intentions!

My husband likes his mac and cheese with macaroni, and his potato salad with potatoes, so it would do me no good to try the other recipes. They do sound good, though. Since we have been cooking on the grill a lot lately I have been eating baked potatoes. I have to break that habit in a hurry! I love them cooked on the grill, but I would love getting rid of my belly a whole lot more.

Shannon, that is very nice of you to offer to watch your cousin's son, and it is for a good reason. I hope the surgery goes well. It's a long surgery and then there's time in the recovery room. Kids don't seem to care where they sleep...on the couch, on the floor.

I'm waiting for my potatoes and eggs to cool so I can make my tater salad, so I think I will go watch the video now, if it's still there!

Edit: It expired, but I was able to read the article. It's mostly what I've been hearing recently. The only issues I have is will not be buying the organic grass fed beef or organic eggs. I'm hoping just switching to high fat low carb will help.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-04-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #43  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Happy 4th

Carol Sue the good thing about cauliflower (I guess just like macaroni) you only have to make a small Pyrex bowl for you but I guess it is extra work for an individual serving. My husband is a fried chicken and rice guy. But luckily he will eat what I put on his plate within reason. I wouldn't switch his macaroni for cauliflower or even try to get him to eat broccoli. But anywho, I am gonna eventually get the fitbit I just love all that it does No problems in my area at all, no rain nothing. But like you said it's moving up the coast. My daughter said it sprinkled in her area not far from here but she didn't even need to roll up the windows of her car so not bad. Organic items are often pricey so I'm with you on that

My fbs was a little higher this morning at 121 but I hit a new low on the scale 157.2.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #44  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
That is wonderful news! Yay

----
Thanks everyone for the advice

love2b150- grats on the weight loss!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #45  

Good for you on the 157!!! You are obviously doing something right! Woo Hoo!!

The problem I have with making a small portion of the cauliflower casserole is probably the cheese. I don't think I can buy less than 4 oz. I know it would keep for a while. I could freeze it. Or I could make a large portion and portion it out for future meals, but it tastes so good I just eat all of it. Part of my problem is eating too much, even when it's something healthy. When I make mac and cheese for my husband, I could just put some of the cheese sauce on cauliflower rather than macaroni for myself, but I just don't bother. I just eat something else. He only eats that for lunch. It's not something I make for dinner. We do our own breakfast and lunch and dinner is usually planned around something he will eat. I just try to not eat the carby part. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes not.

I didn't get to watch the video that you posted since it had expired but I just watched Fathead. I was a little confused with some of it. I will post my opinions later when I have more time. My potatoes and eggs are cooled so it's time to make the potato salad.
Closed Thread