Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

FBS was 84 this morning. Weight back up 3 lbs so when we went out to eat at Steak n Shake, I decided to have their taco salad instead of a burger. I don't know whose idea of read sliced taco type shells was, but they were aweful. And it didn't have hardly any taco meat and a terrible after taste. Needless to say, I will not be eating that again. I would have been happier if I'd gotten a burger and just eaten the meat and veggies out of it. Oh well, live and learn. We went from there to Home Depot to get a new blind to replace a broken one and DH finally decided to get a shade to put on our back door on enclosed back porch. We always try to get some walking done somewhere when we go out walking.

I think I will have to track my food probably on MFP again. I'm good at eating healthy foods, but still need to watch portions.

Although I seem to be doing pretty good, I am also eating some different foods so might should do some bs readings to see how some of these foods are affecting it.

Shannon Hope one of the houses works out for you and Olivia will even find house shopping fun. I love looking at new houses.

Y'all have a nice Sunday.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #212  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

My goodness you all are chatty what else is new huh

Thanks moonkisses, IMO 152 is great compared to the 200's, way to go ... Carol Sue thought I was crazy but when I was first diagnosed I wanted to be put on insulin. I had been on it twice before with the last two pregnancies so it didn't bother me and I knew what to do. However now that my body is use to the metformin and I can control my eating when I set my mind to do so I much rather not do anymore sticking and pricking than I have to I hope you don't have to go on insulin either

dgramie, sorry to hear you have GERD. I was reading something recently after seeing a commercial and was wondering if I may have that also. on the scale moving and on the 20lbs loss/re-loss it's all great, way to go

Carol Sue that is what I love about buffets I get to choose my healthy food, but if I desire I can get a taste of the unhealthy also just not a plate . I don't know who told me about an fbs over 300 but my Auntie use to get on me about it when I would mention it. Thank goodness for no more high readings I hope you love your fitbit as much as everyone else says they do. That's my next present to myself I have a pedometer that got really good reviews and the most I've walked is 3,720 steps. I'm wondering when and if I will ever get to 10,000 steps

Go Shannon I am so happy for you on your new low, new decade here she comes Best of luck to you on house hunting. I hope you find something that you really love

Trish, my daughter was telling me how good steak n shakes burgers are. I've yet to go there. Sorry the taco was blah. Do you have a Hwy 55 where you are? Again my daughter took her brother and I there and oh my goodness, my son said Mommy their burgers are better than yours

my fbs is the lowest it's been in awhile at 116. I was happy and shocked to see that ... missed quite a few doses of metformin and saw some 130's to 150's but coming back down thank goodness.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #213  

Rennie No we don't have a HWY 55 here. I've decided a good burger is better than some of the so called healthy salads we see in places. I just tracked my food for today on MFP and the sodium is so very high for that taco salad. So got a double whammy on that one. Oh, in reference to your comment yesterday, I don't know why we have those moments when we seem to forget how good we feel eating healthy. I think for me it is because I get fooled into thinking I'm being deprived because I can't have what we've been made to believe are "goodies".

I decided to start tracking on MFP starting today before things get out of hand. I'm glad I did. I've set my calorie goal at 1500 calories instead of the higher number they suggested. I'm through eating for the day as I'm just under at 1488 today.

My trip home was an eye opener for me. I see how my family and friends eat and am so thankful that I've learned to move away from that way of eating. I did see a friend of mine who is 82 yrs old who came to Cracker Barrel to eat with a bunch of us who got together. I swear she hasn't aged since I saw her about 11 yrs ago. I realized that she has always eat lots of veggies. A great realization for me to see what works. I don't think she ever slows down and never is sick. I used to tell her when we worked together in children's ministry together at church that when I grew up that I wanted to be just like her. I hadn't seen her in about 10 yrs and I think she is still my inspiration for a happy life.

For years I thought I wanted to move back home because I miss my family so very much, but I realized on my way home that I am right where I am supposed to be for a lot of reasons which is good because I don't think DH would ever move to TX.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #214  
~Rennie

Trish I agree, especially now that I can easily eat one with lettuce, tomato and cheese . I'm so proud of me. I really do need to start making the oopsie bread again though The sodium in restaurant food is a killer even if you eat a salad, it's just crazy Ha in any processed food just about. I love MFP it does keep me in check (as long as I allow it) Aw Trish what a great epiphany How's your daughter holding up?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I know what you're saying about seeing how other people eat. I feel that way about how my husband eats sometimes. For the most part, the other foods no longer even appeal to me now that I'm eating better, but I get depressed that I feel that I'm eating all these veggies, and baked chicken and fish, no junk food, but yet I'm not losing weight and all these other people are eating all this greasy fatty carby foods and don't have a weight problem. I know that my portions are too big, and too much healthy food is still not good for you, especially if you're trying to lose. It just seems so unfair to me. I am getting my blood work done on Tuesday and will get the results at my DR appointment a week later. I am very curious to see if my reading have improved. If they haven't, what's the sense in all this healthy eating, except for the fact that I now like these foods so much better! There should be some reward in store.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #216  

Rennie Thanks for asking about my daughter. She seems to be holding up pretty good. I think the fact that her best friend needs her now because her husband has been sent home to die because he only has 10% of his heart working is keeping her from thinking of herself. Her friend was there for my DD and now she has to be there for her friend. I am concerned about her though. Although she hasn't always lived in the best of places, she has always kept her house very clean and decorated. There was no living room furniture to speak of which makes me wonder if they had to sell everything before Chester died but I didn't ask her. She will tell me when she is ready. Just praying for her.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #217  
~Rennie

Trish, I hope it's not too much of a strain on her. I know helping her friend is shifting her mind a little, but my God that's a lot for one person to handle so soon. I'm praying that she has the strength that she needs to keep her head up and the healing power to mend her heart. The Word says He doesn't put on us more than we can bear, but in the flesh you have to wonder Blessings my friend

Carol Sue that is how I feel watching my daughter and three of the children eat and quite a few family members down here. It blows my mind that they are so fit yet eat what they want. But you know I often wonder ... what do they do when they get home? Are they running, walking whatever to burn the extra calories? I know my daughter and children aren't but you have to wonder about some of the other adults in our lives, at least I do, not gonna lie And with liking all of the healthy foods a healthy you is gonna come out of this

Last edited by love2b150; 06-29-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #218  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Will post more tomorrow but wanted to tell you that I think we may have found a house!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Rennie, it's true that activity burns calories and exercise tones muscles, but if they are not eating the veggies and fruits the nutrients aren't there. I guess I'm making too big of a thing about nutrition, but it seems that with not being able to eat starchy carbs there isn't much more to add to your diet. I used to eat crackers all the time, every day. My box of crackers is still there but they are stale. They are the Fiber Select Wheat Thins that I used to eat for my fiber, but now I eat more beans for fiber and consider that a more healthy source. But why am I not seeing a benefit from not eating the crackers. This is how I think. The same with chips and pretzels. I look at them and I just see empty calories and salt. But I've eliminated them with no seeable change. When I worked, I had McDonald's breakfast every morning, but did not lose any weight when I retired and quit eating them. If they are so bad for you, why didn't I see an improvement of some kind when I quit eating them? Now my breakfast still has the eggs, but sometimes egg beaters, but I add veggies to them and don't have the fatty sausage or bacon, don't have the english muffin. Shouldn't there be some improvement there? If a dietician saw my diet they would say I have improved my nutritional intake, but what did that do for me? And I can't tell you the last time I had baked goods. I think I'm going to mention all this to my doctor when he goes over my bloodwork and see what he says about it. If my life isn't going to be any different with healthy eating, maybe I should just give it up. After all, I still have 2 leaky heart valves that will probably be what kills me in the end. Healthy eating can't change that.

On the other hand, DH recently ran into a former co-worker who had a massive heart attack 40 years ago that destroyed 25% of his heart. Now he walks every day, and when the weather is bad he walks up and down his cellar steps. He is now 92 years old. My uncle did the same thing and he lived to his 90's, being active and still driving, etc, up until the end.

Maybe exercise is more important than diet.

Shannon, I can't wait to hear about the house. I figured you should have been able to find something looking at 7 houses!

Trish, your daughter might be doing better emotionally than you think. Her partner was sick for a long time and she may have done her grieving a long time ago, knowing he was dying. She may really be able to offer sincere comfort to her friend in a similar situation. I can't imagine her selling her furniture for money to pay bills. Used furniture doesn't bring in that much cash. There could be other reasons for it. My friend who lost her husband to a violent automobile accident had to actually move away because going home to the same apartment day after day made her think he would be there. This might just be how your daughter handles things. She will come to you when she's ready, I'm sure. You are a good, caring mother. She saw you go through this before.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #220  

Shannon Great. I hope the house works out for you.
rea, but the shambles/disarray of her house concerned me. That just isn't her. However, having been a widow 2 times in my life, I know it takes a while sometimes to bounce back. So I may have to just come right out and ask her about everything. I know she hides things from me to keep from worrying me. I don't want her to do that in this situation. This is a time when she needs support. It is good for her to be there for her friend, but if she isn't careful, she will do like I did. I was so concerned about being a good example for my kids, I put a lot of my grieving on the back burner and I didn't even know it until I met and married my present husband. I don't want her to do that. She must have her time to heal.

Chester had one son who lived with them and I think he really loves her like a Mom. He just clung to me when we hugged. His Dad was a godly man who loved the Lord and he really helped my DD find her way. So I know he taught this young man right. I encouraged him to be the man his Dad raised him to be and to always remember that someday he will see is Dad again. He clung to every word. I just hope he and Tanzy can really be there for each other. Thanks again for praying for her and also please pray for Chet-Chet as he heals from losing his Dad.

Busy day today. DH got a shade to put on back porch door and they sold him the wrong brackets so have to go get the right ones this afternoon. My beautician is coming for coffee this morning. She is really having problems right now still grieving for the loss of her parents in the past year, dealing with a brother who is stealing her's and her sister's inheritance and now the empty nest syndrome. A lot going on in her life.

FBS this morning was 113 which is great. Strange how I lost weight on vacation and gained 3 lbs when I got back home. So ending this month with a 1 lb weight loss. This is a real mystery as to how this crazy stuff works. Oh well, KOKO and trust that somewhere along the way that it will pay off. Tracking done and took the toast out of breakfast making it a low carb breakfast.

Have a good day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-30-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #221  
~Rennie

Congratulations Shannon on the house ... hope all is as well as can be

Carol Sue I do get what you're saying. I do agree whole heartedly. When I cut out all of the carbs and sweets in January I lost 10.2lbs that month. I have yet to come even close to that, not even half. I have tried to go back and re-evaluate it all since it is on here and on MFP and still nothing. I am thinking that my body has really gotten use to this new way of eating. My only other thing would be to add the carbs in maybe every other day and see if I can shake things up. I did calorie cycling once and it did work but it took a ton of planning. I felt like I did more meal planning than anything. So again I don't know. But I do understand how you feel. Hopefully when you bring it up to the doctor they can enlighten you more and maybe through in some great tips. Keep me posted

Trish sending prayers

my fbs was 118 this morning. I gained .6 this month but I'll take it. I was so worried that it would be more. I haven't done very well this month so it would have been my own fault.

Last edited by love2b150; 06-30-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #222  
~Shannon

FBS was 95 and I am at a new low, meeting my June goal of 181.6. Next stop is my prepreg weight of 173! Took Olivia to her 4 year old dr appt and she had to get 4 shots :-( We submitted a mortgage loan application today so fingers crossed!

Now, onto the house! In a year of looking off and on, it is the only place hubby and I have ever been in agreement on (price, house and yard) if that tells you anything. It has all the space we are looking for. There are 4 bedrooms, a loft space, a two car garage with half of one side being an enclosed finished office space plus a completely separate "in law house" with full bath, kitchen., living room and bedroom. I would have a room for my hobbies (possible future business), Mark could use the separate house for his work office (and it would double as a place for guests), the loft space could be a toy area for Olivia, the garage office would be for Mark's hobbies and there is still an extra bedroom. The master is rather large as well. The yard is a tad bigger than what we have now....big enough for a swing set which is important to us. The driveway is big enough for our new land boat (the truck) too. The only negative....which we are not really sure about since we don't live there...is our agent is negative towards the location, feels that houses are not selling well there. The neighborhood was started in 2008 and then kind of stopped when finances got bad in the area. We asked my brother who lives there and he said he doesn't think anything is bad there. There are some apartments at the front entrance of the development that have some subsidized housing so our agent was negative towards that. They appeared to be in good condition to us and we drove back through the neighborhood around 9:30 that night before we left town and didn't see anything unusual.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 06-30-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #223  
~Rennie

Oh my goodness Shannon you have found my dream home Tell me about the kitchen I'm happy for you and your family. Sounds great. How long has your brother lived in the area?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #224  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Oh my goodness Shannon you have found my dream home Tell me about the kitchen I'm happy for you and your family. Sounds great. How long has your brother lived in the area?
My brother has been living there (Wilson) for probably 4 years. They had an apartment for a while then bought a fixer upper 1.5 yrs ago. They are pregnant right now. The kitchen is basically two long countertops so definitely more counters than I have now and more cabinets. The fridge is next to a tiny counter with more cabinets on a separate wall. There is a pantry though it is not really as big as my current one but with the extra drawers and cabinets, that should not matter. There is a window over the sink I would want to upgrade the countertops to granite at a later time but they are not bad at all, still in good condition. The stove is not gas, that is the only real neg and we may be able to change that later.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #225  
~Rennie

Good, so despite what the Realtor is saying your brother would of course have your best interest at heart. I like gas stoves also but the last house we were in had the glass top stove and I loved that. I don't like this coal thing we have now. The cooking is so uneven. I like the sound of the size of the kitchen. Are you taking your appliances with you? I'm sure you'll get it, sounds so nice. One day for us, one day
Closed Thread