3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles > Diabetes Support

June Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #91
Struggling Dieter

We are having thunder storms right now with tornado warnings, so my computer just might go "poof!"

Shannon, I don't know if my Relion meter is reading high or low, but it's the same meter I was using when I was getting the 200 and 300 readings, so at least I know my BS is much lower now. I never called about getting control solution but I tried online again today and their website is working again so I should be receiving it soon. If I remember, I will take my meter with me when I get my bloodwork done and test right before they draw the blood and see how it compares. I am not too concerned about it being exact. Now that my bs has improved so much I want to quit testing as often. I test in the AM, before each meal, at bedtime, and sometimes at other random times during the day. The test before meals tells me if I need to take glimiperide. Mostly, I don't. I agree that your weight loss could have been enough to eliminate your IR. That's good.

I still want to try the cauliflower rice and I will probably like it because I like cauliflower. I could probably put cauliflower rice in the stuffed peppers and DH wouldn't know the difference, but since I use such a small amount and that amount doesn't effect my blood sugar I will continue using the real rice. I just have to make sure I quit making "extra."

Trish, your weight loss might be doing the same thing, eliminating your insulin resistance. Before, when I had a really good A1c my fasting was always in the 120s. I was satisfied with that and so was my DR. If my A1c had been higher it would have been a different story.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #92
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hi ladies thought I would pop in here for a min to see how everyone is doing I dont have alot of time have to get to bed hubby has to go to heart Dr in the am to get test results of the ecko and nuclear test they did last week.

I went to my Dr this morning I am now down 70 pounds.I lost 8 pounds in the last two weeks . Must be the 4 miles I walk every night around the neighbor hood. Doing good. I will have to check back in with you guys and get some personals done. Thanks to everyone for all the nice commets. I will have to see if I can post some before and after of me on here some time.

Bonnie

Realization is that I am the one who made myself fat! I control what goes in my mouth on a daily bases and now I have to be the one who takes the control !
Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #93

Height: 5'7"

Fbs was 123 today. I ate half of a steak for dinner and a tiny baked potato. We ate at 5 pm. We walked 2 times yesterday and one was after dinner.
My reading before eating dinner was 106.
Hubby's readings are close to mine. His morning readings are lower.
I have my mammogram today. Slightly worried about it because my half sister was just dx with stage 4 breast cancer.
I have to get healthy to be around to take care of hubby (he is bipolar). I also have 5 precious grandchildren.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #94
Struggling Dieter

Bonnie, I hope DHs test results come back good. It's terrible to be waiting to hear. My SIL went to the ER with chest pains after running over the weekend. They did a stress test and it was good, so I guess his pains were from something else. His father had his first heart attack around 50 and my SIL is now 48, and since he runs regularly, I thought it was good that he got it checked.

Dgramie, I also hope your mammogram is ok. I have found that a small baked potato will not spike my blood sugar if eaten with protein. That's good, because I do like baked potatoes, but will only do that once in a while. I usually just have veggies with my meals. Last night we went to Bob Evans and I had grilled salmon. I don't cook it much because DH won't eat it, but if we go out to eat we can each order something different. It was delicious.

I wonder why DH fasting glucose readings lower than yours?

Old 06-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #95
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

My theory is holding.....last night DH brought home a strawberry shortcake from an event and I just couldn't resist, I ate it right before bed, FBS was 106.....shocking! So, I think, for me, the immediate danger of getting a type 2 diagnosis has passed but I still need to stay with low carb to avoid postprandial spikes and lose weight for health reasons. That takes some pressure off. I was feeling very stressed about my weight loss slowing but now I am a little less concerned. I still want to continue making progress but the fear is relieved a bit.

Yesterday I went back to regular coffee but I found myself thinking about the bulletproof all day, lol, so today I made it that way....yep, I think I might be sold. It's so frothy it reminds me of being in a cafe. It has a buttery quality but without being oily. I am only adding the grassfed butter, not the coconut oil. Technically it is supposed to have MCT oil....coconut is not 100% MCT. Supposedly the MCT has no flavor. I haven't seen any around these parts and doubt I will, probably not gonna worry about it. I think I'm getting the benefits I want with what I am doing. If I run across it though I might try it.

Rennie has me worried. She hasn't posted in her other usual places eith. It's still a little early in the day here but I will text her later to check on her. There was a bad storn here last night.

Edited to add I texted with Rennie and she is alive and well :-)

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

My blog: http://shannonssliceoflife.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Shannonsnail : 06-12-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #96

Carol sue -hubby is on glyburide and metphormin. We ate the same meal except his potato was bigger. He also had half a peanut butter sandwich before bed.
Does stress raise bs? I know I am stressed!!!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #97

S/C/G: 238/216.4/135

Height: 5'2'

Question

dgramie Yes, I have read that stress can raise bs. Hope your mammogram goes well.

Shannon Thanks for letting us know Rennie is alive and well. We had thunderstorms yesterday too and our lights went out for a few minutes. By the time I felt my way to a flashlight, they came back on. Then this morning the power went off again although everything was clear here but I think there may have been storms around us somewhere. With the power off, I couldn't check the weather station to be sure.

Carol Sue You might be right about the IR. I can't believe what I am eating and my fbs was 116 this morning. My weight seems to be hovering between 222.0 to 222.4. Just bounces back and forth. Although that is up from my 221, I still consider that to be a blessing. In fact, I'm beginning to relax about my trip and honestly believe, I'll be ok with my eating because I really believe that I can have a little more control than I originally thought. I may have some off days with more carbs, but I will eat more healthy carb meals when I can so that maybe I can off set the carby ones. I'm so confident that this will be okay now that I'm not worried about it any more.

Shannon I was so glad to see what you shared from the lowcarb support group. It makes me realize by doing the best I can on the trip and then switching back to a stricter low carb when I get back home just might be what I need to get my weight moving downward again. I just love the things we are learning on our little thread.

Bonnie I sure hope your DH gets a good report from the heart doctor. You are doing great with the walking.

I've got the major part of my packing done and still have some other things to pack that can't be done until last minute. Preparations are going good. We take our pcs so I will try to check in most days.

Have a great evening.

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #98
~Shannon

Trish hope you have a great vacation!

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #99
Bonnie

Thanks Ladies Hubby's test all came back good. He said he seen problems with his heart or any of the values. So that is a good thing may be now he will realize that it could be from sleep Apenia . All so far is good seems like their is always something going on around here. have been on the run most of the day. So I am gonna get ready for bed.

How is everyone doing on their food plans Since I started with my dr on January 9th I have not drank soda that was one of the first thing that I stopped doing Never pictured myself Doing something Like that. Now I drink water sometimes some unsweet green tea. But I am so excited that I can now wear a pair of capris that I have not been able to fit in for 10 years now . I love them. gonna see if I can put the pic up for all to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10464208_10152187146417918_4486615307850637940_n.jpg (28.5 KB, 9 views)

Bonnie

Realization is that I am the one who made myself fat! I control what goes in my mouth on a daily bases and now I have to be the one who takes the control !
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #100
Struggling Dieter

Great Pic Bonnie! I can really see the difference. I have a lot of clothes that are too tight, but hopefully someday I will fit in them again. Last year I bought several pairs of capris at KMart because nothing I had fit me. I got a Large. This year, they are really baggy, but fit ok because they are elastic waist. This year I wanted a tan pair so I went back and they didn't have a Large so I got a Med. They are a wee bit snug, but I can get them on and wear them as long as I have my top hanging out instead of tucked in. I think by the end of summer I will have to take the other ones in on the sewing machine. I hate sewing, but I don't want to have to buy all new ones again.

I'm glad to hear DH is ok. Does he have sleep apnea? Does he use a CPap machine? I got mine in 2008 and have used it every night since. I can't sleep without it. Some people get them and never use them. It takes some getting used to.

Dgramie, I think the Glyburide is what brings your hubby's bs down. I have Glimiperide but I don't take it every day. I take it if I know I'm going to eat carbs, or if I test and have a higher reading. I try not to take it because it causes weight gain which I don't need, and it can cause a low, which I'm afraid of.

Stress can raise blood sugar. I don't think I am stressed. I don't know. I feel as though ever since I retired I don't have a care in the world, except where they money's going to come from to pay the bills. Sometimes DH goes crazy with the credit card and I have to remind him we no longer have paychecks!

I really needed my Glimiperide yesterday! I made lasagne, and it was so good I ate 2 pieces. The carbs from that started cravings, and later in the evening I had a turkey sandwich, on white bread! Usually if I eat 1 piece of lasagne and a salad I'm OK. I got carried away last night. But today is a new day, and I'm back on track.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #101

Yesterday we went to mcd after my mammo. I had a quarter pounder as an early dinner. Right before bed I had a half of a peanut butter sandwich and my fbs was 110 today.
Waiting for results of mammo. They ended up doing an ultrasound also. I'm hoping it's ok but will have to wait for results. May call the dr office today.
Tech said she thought it was a fibriod tumor. But dr has to determine it.

Slept late today so can't walk before my little ones get here.
I lost 2 lbs this wk. which is great after losing 6 last wk. I have relost 18 lbs now.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #102
~Shannon

Good morning ladies! I had a nice whoosh on the scale today, 3 lbs. that was a welcome sight after weeks of losing a pound if I was lucky. With my luck though it will likely return before Monday when I have my official weekly weigh in but it was really nice to see today.

Talking about clothes sizes. The more I lose the more I realize that I was seriously stretching the clothes I had. For the last two years I have barely shopped bc of money and just hating shopping. For example my panties are 18/20. One would think after losing 20+ lbs that I could go down a size but they are really nice and comfy now, no digging in my sides. So, I can deduce I probably should have been in a size 22. Same with swimsuit. I got my new one. My old one was a 20 and I have been wearing it about 4 years. It had become very baggy and my chest was looking like it might hop out of it. I figured I needed a much smaller swimsuit. The new one? Top is a 20....yes....and bottoms 18. Now this new 20 top is very tight. I guess my old one was very stretched out. It's a little frustrating to see no change in size but I still look better in my clothes now so trying to focus on that. My old size 18 jeans that were so tight I rarely ever wore them now are comfortable, though they still look tight. Here is a pic collage I did recently of my face and belly (I have since colored my gray, lol) in those jeans.....prepare yourself for icky image...can't believe I'm going to post this, lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.4 KB, 9 views)

Start 3/25/14

Last edited by Shannonsnail : 06-13-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #103

My dr just called and the tumor is fibriod but still needs to come out. He said it's fine not cancer!!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #104
Bonnie

Carol Sue the hubby has a apt in a few weeks to be tested to see if he has sleep apnea . The Dr is pretty sure he does by the way we describe his symptoms that he does at night. I hope it makes him feel better when we get all this stuff straight .

Thanks for the commets on the pic I am pretty excited!

I hope is doing well I am doing all my cleaning today so I can spend the weekend in the sun. Hope to catch up with you all soon.

Bonnie

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #105

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Shannon, looks like losing the weight has done the trick for you! I am still hoping another 16 pounds and I will be in better shape. I'm consistently keeping FBS between 110 and 120 but I am not eating any processed carbs. All veggies and fruits always with protein and fat. I think I'm a bit more than pre-diabetic. Good for you getting control so quickly!

Trish - Have a fun trip!

Dgramie - Welcome! Looks like your sugar is getting under control also! Good for you!

Butterfuly, 70 pounds is stupendous! Good for you.

Carol Sue - I was using more and more old dried out herbs in bottles in my salads and soups and decided to grow my own. Cheaper, fun and smells heavenly! Bought some small plants at a nursery - parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, dill, stevia - bought some good potting soil, put them each in their own clay pot, lined the clay pots up in two large rectangular plastic containers (so any extra water can just go down into plastic container), put them on a table in front of a big kitchen window, water them twice a week, turn large containers around once a week and voila - I'm snipping herbs to eat everyday. I know nothing, read nothing about it, just hope I'm not going to poison myself!

INCH BY INCH, LIFE'S A CINCH!
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.