Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Rennie YAY on the new low. I had to go check out where I saw the amount of coconut oil that is recommended. I couldn't find the original place I saw it, but finally found a site that 1st said eat the amount you feel comfortable with as people are getting great results from using it. However, it finally said that most people are using 2 to 3 Tbls a day. Some place I read earlier recommended 3 Tbls a day... 1 Tbls 3 times a day. I did read where some people spread it out into 6 times rather than the 3 times. Personally, I don't use more than the 3 and some days only use the 2. I saw you mention before you didn't think you would like it in your coffee, so I would suggest as someone else did for you to put a dose in your shake. I really think putting it in my shake helped me to be better satisfied. I don't mind the taste so I have also used it on toast in place of butter and even on veggies sometimes. I would say experiment with it.

I also read on WebMD that it was good for diabetes so I'm wondering if that is what is helping my fbs to be doing better. I'm going to research and see if I can find out more about that end of it. I'll let y'all know if I learn anything worth sharing.

I haven't had the diarrhea any more, but seem to be having some belly pain that feels like a lot of gas. Oh how these bodies do confuse me sometimes. However, I am thinking when we start doing good changes that perhaps our body is just reacting and it will all work out.

Eating has been really good today. I've used shakes twice today in place of meals. Haven't been hungry so today has been a very good day.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #17  

Well, that didn't take long. I found this website and the info is amazing. I'm beginning to think that the whether I have used coconut oil or not and maybe even the amount I've used has been the reason my fbs fluctuates from almost normal to higher. I think when I've use it liberally, are the times I see lower readings the next day and when I have forgotten to use it for some reason the day before then I have a higher reading. You'll see why I believe that when you read this info on this website. I am going to make CO my regular oil more by especially seeing to it that I eat at least 3 Tbls a day and see what happens. I look forward to hear y'all responses to this.

http://coconutoil.com/diabetes/
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #18  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Thanks Carol Sue , LOL yeah the rolls/bread are definitely hard to resist ... the smell alone is a trigger . I have found that I have to stay clear of the soups in most restaurants because of the sodium. My goodness I think the restaurant chefs are trying to kill us with all of the sodium I still like canned milk in my coffee, but I use the s/f caramel machioto creamer with soy milk in my coffee now and I can only drink one 16oz travel cup. Sometimes I don't finish that. Too much coffee makes my stomach hurt. One lady on another thread told me about some that is less something (I don't remember the word). I said I was gonna try it but right now it's cheaper to buy walmart brand and call it a day

Thanks Trish , and thank you for the info on the coconut oil. I may try it in a shake tomorrow. I'll let you know
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Thanks Carol Sue , LOL yeah the rolls/bread are definitely hard to resist ... the smell alone is a trigger . I have found that I have to stay clear of the soups in most restaurants because of the sodium. My goodness I think the restaurant chefs are trying to kill us with all of the sodium I still like canned milk in my coffee, but I use the s/f caramel machioto creamer with soy milk in my coffee now and I can only drink one 16oz travel cup. Sometimes I don't finish that. Too much coffee makes my stomach hurt. One lady on another thread told me about some that is less something (I don't remember the word). I said I was gonna try it but right now it's cheaper to buy walmart brand and call it a day

Thanks Trish , and thank you for the info on the coconut oil. I may try it in a shake tomorrow. I'll let you know
I realized that I had only 1 Tbls of CO in my shake this morning and felt so miserable with the gas build up. So I decided to heat some green tea with 1 Tbls of CO and it actually helped. I am feeling a lot better now so I'm going to bed hoping I can have a good nights sleep. I'm going to work in 1 Tbls 3 times a day and see if it will do for me as good as they said on the diet site. I am also going to read more of the testimonials of how it has worked for them for encouragement. Rennie I buy a lot of walmart stuff because it is cheaper. I also have the problem of sodium when eating in restaurants.

Good night.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I am going to wait until I hear from you guys about the Coconut Oil. I only use it when I saute my vegetables, and to me, it makes them too greasy. The way I do it, I put a small amount of butter in the pan and saute the onions, add the garlic, then the mushrooms. When I add the kale, spinach or cabbage whichever I'm using I stir it up then add a tiny bit of water or broth, just enough to make steam and so it won't burn, then I put a lid on and let it wilt down on a low heat. If I use the CO instead of the butter, it has a really greasy texture which I don't really care for. And those people who say they eat a spoonful right out of the jar, to me it would be like eating a spoonful of Crisco! I know fat is important for blood glucose, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle this.

About the sodium...I don't like a salty taste. Rarely do I eat chips or pretzels, unless there is dip to cover the taste of the salt. My husband is one of those people who picks up the salt shaker before he even tastes his food. One time I put a lot of salt in the veggies to see what he would say and he never even mentioned it. I try to get him to quit doing that because of his blood pressure, and if he gets a really high reading he will stop using the salt for a couple days, but then goes back to it. Now, when I cook, I don't put salt in the food because I know he is going to salt it anyway. When I have the family over, they know my food will not have salt so I just put a couple salt shakers out on the table and let them salt at will. I know it tastes better when the salt is used during cooking, but I have to do this do keep him from getting too much.

I know one thing that is high sodium in restaurants is sauces and gravies, so when I order meat that comes with sauce or gravy I tell them I want it without the sauce. I even had to do that when I was in the hospital, because even though I was on a low sodium diet and they wouldn't give me salt packets, the gravies always tasted too salty. I have a little salt and pepper shaker that I used to carry in my purse when I worked and I took that with me when I went to the hospital because they gave me egg beaters for breakfast and I HAVE to have salt and pepper on eggs. But I only use a little bit.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #21  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I use coconut oil for cooking but that is it so far. I tried oil pulling with it (kind of like gargling it) bc I heard about all the dental benefits and I have alot of teeth issues but it was nasty, I couldn't do it. But again, if you are adding it to coffee or smoothies to ingest, start with 1 TEASPOON first and work your way up slowly, otherwise you will be on the toilet all day (according to other low carbers).

BS was 98 last night and FBS was 110 today, go figure...I don't think I will ever understand fastings! Honestly as long as it is under 120 I'm more concerned about postprandials being normal since those make up most of the day.

We had fun at the pool yesterday but mama needs a new swimsuit! My mumu suit I've been wearing for 4 yrs is faded and feeling less than snug. I do not like the idea of possibly losing a portion of my suit by accident, lol! I absolutely detest swimsuit shopping and was hoping to avoid it til I'd lost more and was more comfy in my skin but alas, I need to put on my big girl panties and go find one now. In a way it's a good thing that I've lost enough already to force the issue sooner but argh, I do not look forward to it!

Rennie i think I forgot to answer your question....we did go to water country last week. We like it too but personally it's a lot of walking in flip flops and with my feet problems, that is not optimal. But we had fun! Oh, and we go to the YMCA (Kerr Banks branch near Wake Forest). Today I am going to attempt to go to exercise. Olivia has already told me twice she does not want to go to childcare. Oy! I hope it goes better than I'm expecting. We haven't been there for me to exercise since probably February.

Last night I got Olivia to bed early so I was able to get my kitchen cleaned up, omelets prepped, coffee ready to go for today. It was such a better morning. I need to keep that up.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 06-03-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #22  

Carol Sue I don't always use CO on my veggies either especially on things that already have a little bit of greasy taste. I have accidentally used too much of it on stir-fry and sauteing and I agree that I don't like the texture on them. That's where I use EVOO which seems to be better. I also agree about taking CO by the spoonful. Makes me cringe. I read somewhere how good it is for you to take liquid CO and whoosh it around in your mouth for healthy gums etc and I just can't stand the thought of it. I use it in my coffee when I eat eggs and I will cook my eggs in just a tiny bit. It really doesn't take much. I used to use canned Coconut milk in my coffee and replaced my milk with it when I found a carton of it at Walmart, but it is expensive and hard to find sometimes especially hard to find the carton milk. It tastes so good that I think when they have it someone else beats it to me besides the fact that Walmart is good about running out of things and never having it again. Anyway I haven't heard anyone say anything about its benefits like the oil. I'll let you know how the CO works. I've never consistently done it, but I will now. Oh one thing I did read is that it works better with low carb no grains. I'm thinking it would be a great addition to Atkins or SBD way of eating.

Rennie You mentioned your Aunt used canned milk in her coffee, I just realized when writing Carol Sue that I could get a can of Coconut milk and put it in a jar and use it in my coffee while on the tree. At home I use half and half, but of course I can't carry it on the trip.

Back muscle pain seems to have let up some, but not gone. I think I must have laid wrong the night before or pulled it somehow and it will just have to work itself. The 2 shakes worked ok, but weight is now bouncing between 221 and 222 range which isn't bad. My fbs is up a tad and bp was up. Tried my new Reli-on meter today and it reads 2 pts less than the old one so since the date and times is correct on it, I've switched to it. I still had some strips left for the old one but DH only checks his when I can make him so I just put them in his meter pouch. So they won't be wasted. The one thing I did like about the old meter was the fact that the strips were wrapped individually, but I guess doesn't matter. I used to always be so careful to keep them clean and I noticed some of the nurses when they do the A1c touch theirs all over so I assume it doesn't really matter. LOL I am so picky from the years of caring for my DD when she was a burn victim. When she was first in the hospital you had to sterilize so and cover yourself from head to foot to keep her safe and then when I got her home I had to keep her sore places so sanitized. Then when my previous had a terrible deep leg wound they didn't do that any more. Strange how all that changes. Years ago a fire flared up and burned my Daddy's arm and they did almost nothing with his healing the way they did Tanzy's. Modern medicine is so different than when we were younger. LOL Guess that shows my age.

I better get busy. Still got to do vitamins for DH and me. I'm the one who spoiled him and now he expects it to be done when he gets up. LOL And then I've got to decided what I'm going to eat.

Shannon, Ruthie, Kris and everybody else

Y'all have a great day.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #23  

Shannon I find that interesting about the low carbers having potty issues. I did read that it has a cleansing effect. So maybe it did cause mine. You and Olivia have a fun day.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #24  

Trish, maybe I am using too much of the CO when I saute. I never got potty issues from it, but that would help with low carb, which can cause constipation.

Shannon
, I get a swimsuit catalog in the mail every year, and I don't know how they got my name, but these swimsuits are beautiful. I don't go anywhere to need one, but if I did, I would get one of these. They are expensive, but I see online that some are reduced prices that they don't show in the catalog. There isn't one suit in there that I wouldn't wear!

http://www.cyberswim.com/?gclid=CMnr...FYMSOgodcSMA4w
Old 06-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #25  
~Rennie

Trish I haven't tried the CO yet in my shake because today was an off day and I didn't get of bed till 10:20. I went back to bed after I put my daughter on the bus. I was totally exhausted for some reason. Trish, you can get the mini moos that don't have to be refrigerated for your trip.

Carol Sue I don't like the salty taste either. I send soup back often in restaurants for that reason. I couldn't eat a spoon of Co either, I think it would remind me of my mother giving me mineral oil when I was young, GAG!! I don't cook with salt either. My family doesn't salt anything but we go through pepper like you wouldn't believe

Shannon I have tooth/teeth issues also. If we ever meet you'll see. Not pretty at all, my issue is the front teeth top and bottom. Glad you had fun at Water Country USA. I didn't know you had problems with your feet. I'm sorry to hear that. I would wear flip flops every where if I could. I went to Old Navy and bought flip flops in every color. I need to replace a few thanks to my daughters claiming them I'm sorry Olivia doesn't like the child care at the Y. Did you ask why? Just curious. Rissa only likes the child care at the gym if there is someone her age in there which is rare and they have a Wii. I need a swimsuit also. I think they all cost too much money but I do want to get one since I like going to my daughters and enjoying pool time with the kids
Old 06-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Rennie, the chain restaurants we go to around here list your entree plus 2 sides and those two sides can be your choice, so I just choose 2 vegetables, or 1 vegetable and a salad, or 1 vegetable and a cup of soup. I have done the same at Texas Roadhouse. It may be different with better restaurants. And don't forget to tell them "no rolls." Once they are on the table they are hard to resist.
I have NEVER had a problem at chains or "nicer" restaurant when I ask for double vegetables, no potato/rice/pasta. I have been doing that for years. In fact, I look at all the vegetables they offer on all the dishes, specials, etc and tell them which two I want. I sometimes don't even want the one veggie that actually comes with my entree. Usually it is absolutely not a problem. Sometimes there is an up charge (usually when asparagus is involved) but as long as they tell me ahead of time, I don't mind.

I have had times when they up charged me for a request and did not tell me ahead. I do complain, very politely, about that, and they usually take it off. One time, they didn't tell me and when I said something to the waiter and then the manager, the manager's response was "well, people usually get upset if we tell them there is an extra charge, so we just don't tell them!" I laughed inside, but outwardly was not happy and he took it off!!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #27  

Laurie, Bob Evans Restaurant has an upcharge if you order a salad for one of your sides. Sometimes they tell you and sometimes not, but it is stated right on the menu. It's a 50 cent upcharge, which we don't mind. At Dennys, we order from the senior menu, which offers a potato, and a vegetable and a choice of soup or salad. I have never asked to substitute another veggie for the potato since I'm already getting a salad and a vegetable. I just eat a very small portion of the potato or leave it. We go to another local restaurant that does the same thing. One time I asked if I could substitute a veggie and they said no, another time they said yes, so I think it depends on who you ask. We know the restaurant owner and I think they would allow it, but I don't like to make waves. If they make me take the starch I either leave it, or just eat a small portion of it. They have eggplant parm that is delicious, but it comes with a side of spaghetti, which is NOT a side. It's a huge bowl of spaghetti! That's when I try to substitute because if they said no, I would change my order. A lot of time with "specials" there is a notation that says "no substitutions."

Rennie, I have tooth issues too, especially the bottom front. I will not eat corn on the cob, bite into an apple, etc for fear of breaking or losing a tooth. They are fragile. They have shifted a bit and I have a gap between two of them. Not, pretty, but I am glad I still have them and don't need dentures.

We split a bit turkey club sandwich for dinner last night. The bread was very good multi grain. I removed the middle piece of bread. That was the first bread I've had for at least a week since I started back on low carb. I won't get on the scale today because I don't want to see a gain. I took a glimiperide and it kept my BS down, but there's nothing to keep the weight down! LOL
Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #28  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I wrote a long post last night before bed and lost it before I posted it! Waah!

Anyway, i will try to recreate it later. Gym visit went well yesterday. Today we are going to a puppet show and daughter is getting a haircut. FBS was 105 this morning and scale is moving in right direction. 3 on plan days in a row, yay!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #29  
~Rennie

Carol Sue I have quite a few gaps because of missing teeth in the back. I loss a bottom tooth last year. It had been loose for a while and one day I was brushing my teeth, hit it with the tooth brush and it just came out. I was told that I have two other loose teeth in the front, one top, one bottom both in the front. So I rarely smile with my mouth open. I bite corn on the cob and an apple on the side, my kids think it's funny. I would love to have dentures but even at affordable dentures it's more than we can afford on one income.

Shannon I hate that ... I think I'm gonna start opening two windows again so I don't do that Congrats on 3 OP days, way to go.

I am down .8 to 158.4. FBS 113 this morning. I have yet to figure this out, but it is what it is and it's low compared to the past so I'll happily take that

Last edited by love2b150; 06-04-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #30  

I think I have to re-introduce the CO slowly. I'm not eating low low carb that I intend to do when I get back from my trip mainly because I don't want diarrhea issues while traveling etc. I read the CO Diet and it is very much low carb and uses CO and avocados in the sample menu that I saw. I realized that when you are doing low carb way of eating more like Atkins with fats, especially healthy fats that you probably will experience diarrhea because I think that is the detoxing effect of it. I had been eating avocados each morning with my eggs and then added the tablespoon of CO and that was probably why I was running to the potty so much. The last few days, I've been eating a few grains, etc and I had become constipated even taking 3 servings of the CO. So I I think it is a good idea for me to just have the 1 T in my coffee for a while. O yes, I don't think you/I will need 3 servings of the CO on days when eating avocado. I did read somewhere that avocados are a great food for diabetics.

I also decided to read up on benefits of coconuts and I've decided that as hard as it is to break those darn things, I'm going to add them as a snack food when I get back home. I'm sorry I didn't keep the website, but I will try to find it if anyone wants it.

Carol Sue and Laurie I like eating in restaurants where I can substitute veggies and especially when I can sub a salad. When we decide to eat where I can't do that, I just count it as a "Planned" off meal so I still am on OP. I had the experience last time we ate at Pizza Hut one of the sides offered with the personal pan was a salad I think for $2 because we were there on lunch menu. When we got the ticket, they had charged us full dinner price for the salad. We told them and they changed it, but I think maybe they do that thinking many people don't check it. Tony always leaves a good tip, so I feel they should reciprocate with good service which to me includes honesty on the ticket.

Shannon I used to have that happen to me all the time until I switched from enternet explorer to firefox. However, I don't know if that is your problem or not. Ruthie and my DS had suggested I switch to firefox. It is free. You and Olivia have a fun day.

Rennie Yay weight down .8 to 158.4. FBS 113 this morning is still good. I still don't understand how I can have such good low fbs and it goes up for a few days. But I'm just glad I'm not getting high readings any more either. I usually know why I have a slight gain (usually salt), but I just don't always understand the world of fbs. We just have to keep doing what we know to do and trust that it will get better and better and eventually we will have it under control.

I read somewhere that we need to keep fbs under 120 in order not to cause any damage to our bodies. So my goal is to get it consistently under 120.

Well, we made out reservations for motels last night still deciding about when we are returning. Counting the days now.

Y'all have a great day.
Closed Thread