3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles > Diabetes Support

May Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #61
Struggling Dieter

I found and read the thread about canned fish. He sure finds a wild variety! I love fish and I think I could eat it every day, but I never tried it because of the mercury. The one link said that 3 cans of light tuna per day is the safe limit as long as you're not eating any other fish. Normally, I don't approve of fad diets, or diets that only include 1 food, but Ian has been dieting for so long and has lost a lot of weight, so I feel that he is well informed of what he's doing. I have to fit my eating in with DH, and that just wouldn't fly with him.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #62

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Carol Sue

I make my lasagne using zucchini for the noodles or make half the pan that way for you if DH would not like it... Mine LOVES having the zucchini as noodles!

If you have a mandolin, use it to make long sluces of zucchini. If no mandolin, you can yes a sharp knife and make sluces the long way as thin as you can (be careful). Layer the sluces just as you would noodles (no per cooking necessary). It is absolutely delay and if someone ate it blindfolded they would not miss the noodles!!

Use a julienne veggie peeler or mandolin attachment to make zucchini into spaghetti noodle --- ZOODLES!!!

Met Goal Aug 2013
Rebooted Summer 2014

Last edited by JLUS : 05-05-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #63
Struggling Dieter

Laurie, I tried once making a small part of the lasagne with zucchini and I didn't like it. I only like zucchini fries or zucchini bread. I love eggplant parm, which is similar, but I don't bother making it because DH wouldn't eat it. I just eat the lasagne, noodles and all. I only make it once a month and only eat 1 portion. My 13 X 9 pan makes 9 portions. I just accept that that is my day to eat a carby meal. I've had so many of them lately! Tomorrow it's back to low carb. All my carby food will be gone, thank God!

Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #64
love to be a lower weight

S/C/G: HW 220/SW 197.2/ticker/GW 132

Height: 5'3

Hi everyone ... where are you Shannon?

Carol Sue I am like you I do fine during the early part of the day them the crazy food brain clicks in and there I go I sleep through the night for the most part. I just wake up to go to the bathroom a couple of times. When I don't I'm surprised Carol Sue, you give great advice, you all do. We all give advice on our experience which definitely helps others. Now whether or not we live by what we've learned is another story The only thing ALWAYS cold on me is my feet. I can have on three pairs of socks and cover my feet in a blanket and they will still be cold but it is only in the evening and at night. I check my feet often and they are fine, so I don't know what gives.

Trish on the new low Ms. Trish you will stay healthy and take him to see some place new , you know better than to speak that way

Laurie, I saw this gadget in walmart today (as seen on tv) you put the veggie inside of it and spin it and it makes noodles. I really wanted to get it. It was right next to check out I'll have my eye on it for a while it was $20 and I can't justify spending that just for me. So I'll have to use a knife in the time being

FBS was back in the 120's today ... 127 hope it continues to go down

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #65

S/C/G: 238/214.8/135

Height: 5'2'

Carol Sue I'm not staying away from the bread either as I'm still using the double fiber bread. However, my calories seem to be staying under 1400 each day and my fiber is up and the sodium is in check as well. I'm hoping that I can at least keep it this way and hope it works for me. I am drinking lots of green tea too and the only thing I can say at this point is that I'm no longer having potty issues. Exercise is going good because I actually enjoy it right now. Stomach is handling things well so all is well.

The .2 lbs I lost yesterday was back today which is no surprise since I seem to bounce around before the weight loss becomes stable. So just have to ride that one out.

DGS said he has to people who said he could stay with while we are gone. He said something about staying here would be his preference, but I told him that the trip is going to be expensive as it is and I don't want the utilities used while we are gone. He doesn't clean up after himself in the kitchen and puts food in garbage disposal and just leaves it and I find it and have to run it and clean up after him. He questions so many things I want done and treats me like my decision is crazy. Knowing the things I have to do, because he won't do them or doesn't think they are important when I'm here, I sure don't trust him to take care of them while I'm gone.

DH son called and he and his daughter want DH to go with them to a ball game in Indianapolis while we are there the night before we leave. That will be good for them. I think he had been hurt when we did so much for his sister and her family and hadn't been to see them. I'm hoping that relationship will heal. With all that DH has done for his daughter, she never calls or says anything to her Daddy and her son is the one living with us while going to school when he can't be at the campus. His scholarship doesn't pay for him to go to summer school. He has to borrow the money to pay for the make up classes he takes and then live here with us. Obviously the more you do for her the less she cares. She texted me Thursday to ask me to tell her Daddy that she loves him and she will call the weekend. She didn't call. I've decided I'm giving him messages like that any more because it just hurts him. He told me he is never going to go see her again. Kids are just strange.

Sorry about the venting. I just get tired of the way the treat him. Even DGS will not help his grandad with yard work or anything. I just don't understand it.

Thanks for letting me rant.
I have to say that

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #66
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Shannon it makes perfect sense to be able to tell your husband and know in your mind that something isn't good for you. I totally understand and what's great is that it will keep you at bay. Wish I had the same discipline Shannon sometimes with eating off plan, I don't think it is the food so much that makes us totally feel bad (because honestly you wouldn't purposely over indulge in something that is bad for you especially as health conscious as you are) hope that doesn't sound mean, it's not meant to be and hopefully you know me by now but what I'm saying is that when I eat things that I should not have. I get a sick feeling but it's because I am asking myself what on earth were you thinking? and the more I give it thought the worse I feel. Now that makes me say no the next time. Because all I do is worry about numbers every where Shannon I'm serious you are gonna have to invite me up for a taste test I would surely come on over who turns down food, certainly not I ... though not really funny because you could have really been hurt (so be careful next time ) but you and that avocado had a time today Ian's canned fish thread caught my eye also. I think he's fine
Rennie you have an open invitation anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I found and read the thread about canned fish. He sure finds a wild variety! I love fish and I think I could eat it every day, but I never tried it because of the mercury. The one link said that 3 cans of light tuna per day is the safe limit as long as you're not eating any other fish. Normally, I don't approve of fad diets, or diets that only include 1 food, but Ian has been dieting for so long and has lost a lot of weight, so I feel that he is well informed of what he's doing. I have to fit my eating in with DH, and that just wouldn't fly with him.
Carol Sue The picture of his stash really made me laugh, I never imagined anyone having that much canned fish! I do worry about his wife, lol....is he stinking the house up? I'm sure though she is just happy to have him healthier. Some of his comments really crack me up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I make my lasagne using zucchini for the noodles or make half the pan that way for you if DH would not like it... Mine LOVES having the zucchini as noodles!

If you have a mandolin, use it to make long sluces of zucchini. If no mandolin, you can yes a sharp knife and make sluces the long way as thin as you can (be careful). Layer the sluces just as you would noodles (no per cooking necessary). It is absolutely delay and if someone ate it blindfolded they would not miss the noodles!!

Use a julienne veggie peeler or mandolin attachment to make zucchini into spaghetti noodle --- ZOODLES!!!
Laurie I want to try the lasagna with zucchini noodles sometime. DH loves lasagna though he may decide I've gone a step too far defiling his favorite food. He has accepted my faux-tatoes and faux-rice but I don't know about replacing his beloved lasagna noodles. I also want to do the zoodles but I want to get that spirelli (or whatever) thing so they are really like noodles, not ribbons.

Last night my daughter was up every hour crying in pain. She kept saying her stomach hurt but she never vomited or anything other than crying. So, I was up all night essentially. I slept what bit I did on her floor. This morning she was still not quite right but by lunch she was finally ok. Shortly after that she fell in the kitchen and hit the back of her head hard. She has a goose egg. From then til she went to bed she was just a crying whiny mess. It's been a long day.

My fbs was 129 this morning...higher than I'd like. I let myself get too hungry last night at dinnertime and ended up eating my daughter's leftovers from mcdonalds. I had intended to make myself something separate when we got home but then there were delays and interruptions and finally I caved bc I was ready to eat my arm.

My weekly weigh in today was good and I've lost 19 lbs now. I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow. I'm off to bed. Tomorrow is super busy for me with preschool, a mammogram and our 7th anniversary dinner out. Rennie we are going to the Angus Barn

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

My blog: http://shannonssliceoflife.blogspot.com/
Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #67
Struggling Dieter

Shannon, that was your punishment for feeding your daughter McDonalds. LOL I hope your daughter is OK. The tummy ache could be from so many different things.

I see Ian is now "testing" green tea! LOL He has lost, but it might just be his diet that's causing the weight loss.

My BS didn't spike as high as I expected with the lasagne. Maybe the big plate of kale I ate with it had something to do with that. There is one piece left for my husband's lunch and the rest went home with my step-daughter.

Trish, Good job on the 19 lbs!

It's not so much that I am not staying away from the bread, it's the fact that once I eat 1 piece, I end up eating half a loaf or more. If I could eat 1 piece then stop I wouldn't care that much. It's like something snaps in my brain and I lose all control.

My DH puts food down the disposal and doesn't run it. One time we had so many little knats flying around and someone suggested cleaning the disposal. I did that and haven't had any since. Now I am in a habit of running the disposal every time I'm at the sink in case he left something in there. Too late to get him to change now. LOL

My step-son calls his Dad about 5 times a week, just to check in with him. My step-daughter only calls when she needs something. If things are going good for her we can go months without hearing from her, and she lives 3 miles away from us, and works 1 mile from us. My step son is very successful, but my step-daughter is terrible with money. We have helped them out to the point where DH refuses to do so now. They are close to 50 years old and eventually we will be gone and they will have to fend for themselves. We have been enablers too long. When something goes wrong for her, it's a big catastrophe, but if we need something she says "I'd help if I could." Her Dad is in extreme pain with his shingles, but all she says is "Sean had them worse than you." (her husband) It's all about ME ME ME!!

Rennie, I am not careful about my feet. I never go barefoot but I don't check them. The DR did something to them and asked me if I could feel it and I said yes, even though I could barely feel it. I just knew that "yes" was the correct answer! LOL

Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #68
~Shannon

Olivia was up again alot last night. I think she has an ear infection. It could be drainage making her tummy hurt. I'm not taking her to preschool, have to reschedule my mammogram and our dinner plans. It will be another long day.....ah, motherhood! The good news is I am going to put one of my frozen spaghetti meat sauces in the crockpot so I don't have to do much for dinner. I'm so glad I intentionally make time to make a batch of those every month, has saved me many times. It's the only meal I eat pasta with....will try dreamfields tonight and see if result is same as regular pasta or better.

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #69
Struggling Dieter

That is such a good idea to make the sauce ahead and freeze it. My DH wouldn't eat it, but he will eat jarred sauce!!! WTH?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #70
~Shannon

It's not ears but ped thinks it is sinuses so I'm glad I took her. She will start a med later today. Her favorite neighbor overheard us talking about not having the babysitter come tonight when we got out of the car from the ped. She insisted Olivia come over to watch a movie with her tonight so we can still go out. She is older (grown kids) and Olivia really loves her so I guess we will carry on with the dinner out. I had not yet canceled the reservation since they open later and I was thawing the spaghetti sauce but hadn't put it in the crock yet so that worked out well. Olivia was ecstatic, otherwise I would not have accepted her offer.

Carol Sue my DH was adament about jarred sauce, specifically one brand and flavor but he has changed his tune since I started making this one.
-Brown 1lb ground beef on stove, drain and let cool.
-Add the following to a gallon freezer bag:
28 oz (lg can) crushed tomatoes
1 green pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
1/2 c chopped celery
2 tsp minced garlic
1.5 tbsp chili powder
1.5 tsp salt
-Add ground beef and stir around in bag or smoosh to mix. Seal and freeze.
-Thaw overnight, add to crock, cook on low 5-7 hrs
(This might be enough for two meals for you) I make 3-4 of these at a time and we eat one a week. We like shredded cheddar in ours.

Start 3/25/14

Old 05-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #71

I must have wrote something wrong. I did see the 223.6 this time down .2 from the last time I saw the 223. So I will change the ticker later, but I'm down 15 lbs not 19 Carol Sue Wish it was 19. But in due time it will happen.

Rennie You are right. I will stay healthy and I really do better than to even think any other way.

Shannon Hope your little one is feeling better soon.

This is a flyby because we are going shopping. I will be back later.

Have a nice day everybody.

Trish

Old 05-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #72

Trish, I haven't got it through my head yet that I need more fiber and I need to find a balance. You know it took my daughter to actually be on her own to really appreciate all I tried to instill in her while she was at home. She wasn't disrespectful but she wouldn't clean a thing, her husband did/does a lot. She married a good guy. I'm sorry you and your husband have to go through all of that, sometimes family is the worse

Carol Sue I use to come in the house and immediately take my shoes and socks/hose off, now I change shoes depending on what's on my feet but my feet are covered. That's not good that you could barely feel the touch. Do you get pedicures?

Shannon, good for Olivia and you and your husband, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY . I've never been to the Angus Barn. Is it expensive? I guess it is since you need reservations, huh! Enjoy My daughter talks about how crowded their parking lot is, so it must be great I hope you get some rest tonight since Olivia has the medicine My sauce is similar, except no celery or chili powder and I use basil. We even add the cheddar and Parmesan

I went to Carlie C's yesterday and they had fresh baked bread. a I know ... but it's so good ... up 2.8lbs from yesterday, weighing in at 164.0. I know it's water so I'm not worried. I am up 4.2lbs from my low still not worried. I have a better mindset for some reason this go around. With today included I have had four totally off plan days. My carbs have been really high these days. So once I get that under control I'll be fine. TOM showed up for one day and then gone. I am not understanding this stage of life with my body. But this happened last year in August so it is what it is maybe I'm about to go through menopause I plan to go to the gym this afternoon to help with the up and start tomorrow fresh with low carb low cal

ETA: made it to the gym burn 569, 4.11 miles ... scale looks good right now hope the morning brings a smile

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track

Last edited by love2b150 : 05-06-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #73

Went to eat at Buffalo Wings today. I always order chips and chili cheese dip and DH orders 10 traditional mild buffalo wings. I was very good, I ate 1/3 of the dip but we didn't really make a dent in the chips there are always so many and I ate only 4 of the wing pieces. Came home and had a PB/Polaner Apricot sandwich for dinner.

I don't really understand fbs. I did something wrong yesterday because while my bp and weight was good, fbs was 145. I did have regular unsalted crackers so I suppose that little bit of white flour was not to make it higher today. My calories were within limits as they are today so it will be interesting to see how things go tomorrow.

I'm tired so I'll catch y'all tomorrow.

Trish

Old 05-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #74

Trish I love Buffalo Wild Wings, my daughter and I use to go there for lunch when we lived in VA. I don't understand FBS either Rest well, god night

Last edited by love2b150 : 05-06-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #75
Struggling Dieter

Something has been off the past few days. I started out on my treadmill, warmng up, heart rate watch registered 80, then instantly spiked up to 139. Back down to 80, right back up to 130's. I stopped right away. I was feeling the palpitations in my chest. A couple days before, warming up on the elliptical, my heart rate watch was registering in the 80's but the monitor on the elliptical was in the 120s. They are usually about the same. I didn't feel any palpitations that time and just figured that either the watch or the elliptical was malfunctioning. I watch this very closely because of my heart valve problems. My BP has been wonky lately, too. Top number high, but bottom number low. That is a symptom of heart failure. Yesterday I walked slowly on the treadmill and did not have any palpitations, but I felt really tired so only did 10 minutes. Last night I felt terrible. Can't think of a word to describe it. My weight was up 5 lbs and my right hand was all puffy, couldn't make a fist. Retaining fluid is another sign of heart failure. I am down 2 lbs as of this AM, feel better, and hand is not puffy. I am watching this closely, but just thought I'd mention it as I might end up in the hospital and wanted you guys to know if I suddenly disappear. If I call the doctor he will tell me to go to the ER. If I go to the ER they will admit me because I am a heart patient. I went through this once before, laid in the hospital for 5 days, and they found nothing but decided to up my blood pressure meds. So I will just watch it for now.

Shannon, the recipe looks good, but DH would still not do it if it was made and frozen, especially with the meat already in it. He prefers my home-made but wants it freshly made. My recipe is really close to yours except I use tomato sauce and paste instead of the tomatoes. I keep jarred sauce in the house for when we need something in a hurry, but it can only be Ragu Old World Style with Mushroom. We tried them all, and that is the one he liked best. I will eat any tomato sauce.

Happy Belated Anniversary! Glad to hear your daughter is doing better. You never know with kids.

Rennie, I do not get pedicures, but I do give them to myself. I have one of those little tubs that you soak your feet in. I was thinking I couldn't feel the touch because of calluses on the bottoms of my feet. I do not get any burning or pain. No sores.

Trish, 15 is almost 19! LOL Either way, something is working for you and that's what counts. I don't understand FBG either. The only thing I notice is that if I truly do not eat anything at all after dinner, my FBG is not much higher than my bedtime reading. One little snack and it's up considerably. This is me. You know we are all different.

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.