Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #181  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Hope everyone had a good Easter! My weight is still down 196.2 today, a total loss of 14.6 lbs. I was anticipating seeing 196 today but it was close. My eating was not "bad" yesterday but I did eat more carbs than usual. My daughter has speech this morning and we are running behind so I will check in later today.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-21-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #182  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Bless me sisters for I have sinned.

I went off my low carb plan for several days (since Wednesday) and have managed to get back up to 196 this morning. A lot of it is from carbs and I'm sure some of it was from eating ham every day. Lots of water going down the hatch today. No. I've not tested my FBGL lately - I need new strips and there is no drugstore nearby that is open today.

On a brighter note, we are definitely in Spring and I'm hoping to get some in my steps!

I shall now go and sin no more!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Made it through Easter!! Did not eat the potato salad, had my hamburger sans the bun and stayed out of the Easter candy whoot!!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #184  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

But I did manage to avoid Easter candy. (A maple syrup pie isn't candy, is it? )
Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good Morning! Beautiful day out there so far. Hope it stays that way. DH has been sitting on the back porch for about 30 min a day and I think that's helping his recovery. It's slow, but he says he's starting to feel a little better. If we have rain, he will not be able to sit out.

Trish, I decided that yesterday was my carb day for this week. I had my eggs for breakfast. After I put my ham in the oven I made a small portion of potato salad, just enough for DH and I. It turned out to be about a cereal bowl full....just enough. DH didn't eat any, so his is still left. But I did eat some and I had a ham sandwich with my 35 cal multi-grain bread. Honestly, I felt awful the rest of the day. I used to eat like this all the time, but forgot how I used to feel. Stuffed, bloated. The only veggies I had all day were the beets that were in the Beet Horseradish I made and some asparagus. DH wanted asparagus, and right now I'm making anything he asks for because I want him to eat...especially veggies. So now I am back to low carb until next week, when I will try to do a carb day on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am up one lb which I suspect is fluid, but that's how they said it works. You go up, but then after going back to low carb you go down. It better work that way after how terrible I felt yesterday. I took a glimiperide yesterday to counteract the carbs and my BS came down nicely. Yesterday, I filled my pill box for the week and saw that out of 14 doses of glimiperide last week I only took 4. I'm glad I have it when I need it but glad I don't need it on a regular basis. I don't know if that's good or bad. They always tell you to take your meds the way it's prescribed, but I compare this to injecting insulin. You wouldn't inject insulin of your glucose was already low.

Trish, when I was a kid I went to the library in our hometown. After I moved out on my own, that town became a bad area so I wouldn't go there anymore. When I married and moved to this town I joined their library, but it was in the downtown area and only had on-street parking with meters. It was hard to get a parking place and you couldn't stay long because you were putting money in the meter. I was concerned about walking to my car alone so I didn't go for quite a few years. Now they built a new library away from the downtown area with a big parking lot, so I went back and got a card. I don't get my fiction novels from there because I get so many paperbacks given to me by my friend. We trade off and sometimes buy used at flea markets. But when there is a book mentioned that seems interesting to me I look on the library's website and see if they have it. I can put a hold on it, or just go down and get it.

I finally read through the Beat Diabetes Naturally, and although the information was good, it was mostly what I already knew. They were pushing supplements, and you know I am not in favor of supplements. I want to do this naturally. They are calling supplements "natural" as opposed to pharmaceuticals. But when you research online you see all these side effects from supplements that they don't tell you about. On the website for ordering the book from Prevention they were offering a little booklet as a free gift and I think that's where the info was I was looking for. You don't get that with the book from the library. It was about foods to help when you have diabetes and was advertised as having info on the cinnamon and vinegar. I wanted to read that because although I have tried both I don't see much improvement from either and wanted to see what it had to say about it. I have read about it online and it all says it is supposed to work, but I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong. All in all, I'm glad I read the book, but really glad I didn't put out the money to buy it.

The other book was not interesting to me. It was more basic information for someone new to Diabetes. It involved foods that I don't usually eat. I am very happy with my high vegetable plan and wish to continue with that.

Shannon, I am wondering if there's something you can make ahead and have handy to grab in the morning when you are short on time. Maybe the low carb muffins I posted a while back. I don't know how well they keep. They were mexican flavor, but could probably be adjusted to any flavor you like. It's really hard with little kids. My DIl deals with my 5 year old grandson, the way you do with your daughter. Their needs come first and you have to fit your needs to their schedule.

Rennie, it's good to see you back here. I know you have done well since January because I remember when you started posting here your numbers were closer to mine and you left me in the dust, so to speak! You have done a great job, and I have no doubt that you will get back on track with it. You always gave me incentive to try harder and take things more seriously.

Mad, Ruthie, Kris, Donna and lurkers, come out, come out, where ever you are!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-21-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #186  
~Shannon

We're back and today is clean the house day so I'll be keeping busy. My house is so bad they might come condemn it! Not really but it's way past my breaking point for sure.

Carol Sue last week I made some egg based muffins the night before I knew we'd have a busy morning but they overcooked so the texture was a little off. I need a grab and go option for busy mornings but haven't found the right one yet. Today we left with me not eating anything and I made my regular breakfast when I got home but I'm sure my BS was rising the whole time so that is not the best.....will have to think about it some more.

I was planning a pot roast for tonight but realized I was missing an important ingredient (have I mentioned I am a horrible meal planner?) so I think it will be tacos instead. They are always my back up plan. I will make a salad with mine.

For those who like Starbucks, I made this copycat yesterday and it was really good! http://www.joyinourjourney.com/1/pos...pp-recipe.html

I thought I'd share this pic here....one of my goals is to be able to get my engagement ring back on. I took it off while pregnant in April 2010 and have not been able to get it back on or get my wedding band off since...4 years. I'm not there yet but I think you can tell from this that I'm a tiny bit less puffy. Pardon the dry skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-21-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #187  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Trish love the Happy Easter banner

Shannon in January I gave up bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sweets/snacks. I loss 10.2lbs. I need to get back to that way of eating because I have obviously loss control so it's time to detox again Shannon 14.6lbs is great Is that since you've been on 3FC? You're doing great and yes you can see a difference, for being able to wear your engagement ring soon

Hi Ruth glad the ice is melting and spring is on the horizon for you Maple syrup pie sounds interesting

Donna good for you on the Easter candy

Thanks Carol Sue, your numbers are better than mine now though I'm still trying to get there. I would love to see double digit numbers It's funny how we get the different books and read through them only to read what we already knew in the first place

Well weight was up some more as suspected 163.8 but that's ok. I will see a better number tomorrow because today is Positively On Point ... so far FBS was better than it has been in a week or so, 117 so that made me smile.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Shannon - Your hands look great! I find that even grabbing a hard-boiled egg or a hunk of cheese and maybe an apple will keep me going several hours in the morning.

I am concentrating on always having fat and protein at every meal. Have you noticed how hard it is to find full fat yogurt? Nearly impossible! I was eating Stonyfield but couldn't find any with fat, so I tried the Brown Cow. Really like it!

I received no education with my diagnosis. Did you? I was given a meter though. And what is with the American Diabetes Association guidelines? Really - 45-60 carbs a meal? I sure hope I am remembering that wrong. I have too many friends with dire consequences because they didn't get their Type 2 under control. One did not get any education on diet etc, and thought taking the pills would be enough. He is almost blind in one eye and problems with the other now, on insulin and sugar still out of control. I know we are not all the same but it seems to me that we need to do a better job of education.

Okay rant over.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby to say I'm still here. We have a couple of busy days today and tomorrow. DGS came by after church yesterday and he has decided to go home in June instead of July. He has an opportunity to go to DC with his college class if he can pay for it so he has changed when he is going. This works out better for me because I want to be home in TX to celebrate my Daddy's 91st birthday. I was disappointed when I had to change my plans to go in July and miss it, but now my sister and I can plan a celebration so I can be there. Have to get car serviced etc to get ready.

Carol Sue today was my carby day. We ate out today and I had fish sandwich (didn't eat all the bread and about 5 onion rings. I always drink water. Came home and had snack foods. I really missed my veggies today. I too hope this works, because I too am uncomfortable after eating foods I haven't been eating in a while. Maybe we will find out that we really love eating low carb. That would be a change wouldn't it.

We are taking the car to get new tires, have front end aligned and brakes checked. Haven't had to do that since we bought the car so really need to. So will be eating at a cafeteria close by while waiting. I sure hope I can stay on plan. Haven't eaten there in a while. It is locally owned and last time we ate there it was kind of greasy. So will do my best to stay OP. Surely they will have at least baked fish or chicken and I should be able to have a salad and greens or green beans. So I have my plan.

Shannon Great on on the new low. You are doing really well.

Ruthie We all have those times when we just have to eat off. You will get back OP I'm sure. Glad you are going to be able to get out. I know you are ready.

Donna Great job staying away from the Easter candy. I wanted some jelly beans soooo bad, but I just walked right by them and wouldn't even look at any Easter candy at all. Didn't even go down the isle cause I knew it would call my name.

Rennie Glad you are back and on track again. You'll do good.

Kris I have looked for full fat yogurt here in town and can't find even low fat. Everything even Greek is nonfat.

I'll catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #190  
~Shannon

The only place I can find full fat yogurt is Trader Joes. Whole Foods probably has it too. Not sure what you have to choose from down there in New Orleans Kris

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-21-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #191  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Trish love the Happy Easter banner

Shannon in January I gave up bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sweets/snacks. I loss 10.2lbs. I need to get back to that way of eating because I have obviously loss control so it's time to detox again Shannon 14.6lbs is great Is that since you've been on 3FC? You're doing great and yes you can see a difference, for being able to wear your engagement ring soon
Ok, Rennie so that is what I have been doing also. I was 210.8 the day after Christmas and 208 on March 25 so most of what I've lost has been since the 25th. I got active on 3FC around that same time.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-21-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #192  

Shanon, I can really see the difference in your hands. I don't think I will ever be able to wear my wedding ring again, but I got new ones and I like them better because they are white gold and the old ones are yellow gold.

Kris, when I was diagnosed, I was in the hospital after my open heart surgery. The nurses didn't even know I hadn't been diabetic before the surgery. They gave me a meter and told me to check my sugar and record it in a little book. They didn't tell me what to do with the information! Then a dietician came and talked to me, but I didn't absorb much of what she said. They DO say to eat 45 gm of carb at each meal and 15 gm of carb with each of 2 daily snacks. I would be shooting up the insulin for sure! LOL

First day home I had a home nurse come in and she showed me how to test. I was so scared, dealing with heart surgery AND diabetes. I learned what I know from posting on forums and asking lots of question, and reading about it.

Rennie, I still get higher numbers sometimes, like this morning at 131, but after the 200's and 300's that is still an improvement. I don't know what I did that caused that. I had some leftover turkey with mushroom soup and the soup probably had too many carbs. Since I ate that, I didn't eat all my veggies I usually eat.

Trish, I think my body is well adjusted to low carb. I really felt terrible when I ate that sandwich and potato salad. That is now definately off my menu! I have really missed my veggies the past few days and can't wait to get back to eating them. They fill me up without the bloat. I still have an occasional piece of toast with my eggs in the morning, usually when I don't have any veggies to mix in with them.

Donna, good job on staying away from the candy and potato salad. I read somewhere that if potatoes are cooked and then refrigerated and served cold (as in potato salad) they lose a lot of their starchy properties. I don't remember exactly where I read it, but it was when I was researching resistant starch. Since anyone can say anything on the internet, I didn't take it to heart and will still be very cautious with potato salad.

Ruthie! Everybody has little slip ups around the holidays. You are no exception. Go, and sin no more!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #193  

Here is an article about Resistant Starch. I don't think it's the same article I read previously, but it says basically the same thing. I bought the Bob's Red Mill potato starch and tried it dissolved in water. It has relatively no taste, but it made me really burpy so I quit drinking it. I have used it as a thickening agent in things like chili and tomato sauce, but I don't know if it has the same effect that way. I might try drinking it again. I wonder if I could mix it in with my vinegar/lemon water?

http://rebootedbody.com/resistant-starch/

Another article

http://authoritynutrition.com/resistant-starch-101/

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-22-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #194  
~Shannon

Dr appt to get my lab results this morning....stay tuned
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #195  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonsnail View Post
Dr appt to get my lab results this morning....stay tuned

Waiting patiently.....hope the results are good!
Closed Thread