April Chat

You're on Page 7 of 20
Go to
  • Donna i have a question for you about coconut oil. Mine stays in the hardened state and it's hard to get out a specific measurement. Any tips?
  • Shannon mine is in the hardened state also (white jar), I scoop it out with a tablespoon measurer and heat. It's usually just the right amount. I saw in the Walmart in Morrisville the liquid coconut oil. I think I'm gonna go back to get it. It wasn't there when I got the one in the jar . Also have you seen the GG's Scandinavian crisp bread any where? Have you had it before?
  • Quote: Shannon mine is in the hardened state also (white jar), I scoop it out with a tablespoon measurer and heat. It's usually just the right amount. I saw in the Walmart in Morrisville the liquid coconut oil. I think I'm gonna go back to get it. It wasn't there when I got the one in the jar . Also have you seen the GG's Scandinavian crisp bread any where? Have you had it before?
    I have not heard of that before....no clue! I tried the cinnamon bun muffin in mug tonight and it was okay. I think I need to melt my butter before I add it. I just put it on top so most of the muffin was dry but the center was moister, I guess it didn't spread throughout. Also will add the full amount of cinnamon next time. Definitely will try it again. Donna let us know if you come up with any other variations! I'm not very adventurous with coming up with stuff on my own but I can follow a recipe like nobody's business, lol!

I did not eat enough today so late tonight I got snacky and grabbed a handful of yogurt covered raisins. Not the worst thing I've ever done but I need to work on daytime meals better, making sure I'm eating enough. I don't track calories or anything else...it's a major binge trigger for me.....maybe when I've lost half my goal or something I can try but definitely not opening that can of worms yet!
  • Thanks for the recipe Donna. I saved it for when I am ready to add carbs back into my food plan.

I am down another 2 lbs this morning. The second lb is rather shaky, so I hope it stays off. Happy Happy Joy Joy! I am actually losing weight instead of losing and gaining those same 2 lbs. That makes 8 altogether.

I had a feeling that I was going to be down some. The beans I ate yesterday did their job! (sorry TMI)

Last night I wanted something. I wasn't craving anything in particular, but it wasn't actually hunger. So I ate some olives with whipped cream cheese. High fat, but low carb. It got me through til bedtime, but I wish I had stood strong and not eaten since I was not hungry. After I ate my salmon and asparagus for dinner I was still hungry so I made a veggie salad. That all should have kept me til bedtime. I also didn't walk after dinner, so that would have kept my cravings at bay. I still showed a loss, so no harm, no foul. I will try to learn from this.

DH stayed up most of the evening, watching TV, but had some pain during the night. I can definately hear the congestion breaking up. When he is sick I am not allowed to tell any of his family. They are so quick to come to him when they need help with something but he will never ask for help and they are never around for him. They always assume he can do it and doesn't need help, like he is invincible. His brother called yesterday and wants to come over to work on his truck in our garage. This also means he wants DH to help him. He would not tell him No, I don't feel good. So they will be in the garage, laying on the floor under the truck, etc. He can't just let him use the garage and tools. He has to get involved. At least it's supposed to be a warmer day today.
  • I have bible study this morning so I'm rushing to get us fed and clothed but just wanted to check in. I was trying to avoid weighing til my next official weigh day since TOM is here but I sneaked a peek and I'm still going down, yay!! Unfortunately BG was 130 this morning. That is kind of high for me. :-(
  • That's what mine was this morning too, Shannon, but I was running in the 200's a month ago so mine is a great improvement. I think mine is because I didn't exercise yesterday.

I made a new rule regarding my glimiperide. I will only take it if my FBG is over 130. That's what I did yesterday and I didn't have any spikes. I did take it with dinner though. I don't want to be on this med long term because it damages your beta cells. I know I can get a good A1c without it.
  • I just had a late breakfast. I didn't have any mushrooms to put in my eggs and I didn't want them plain. I took some black beans, added some frozen chopped spinach, and some frozen broccoli that I chopped really small. I put all that in a warm skillet to defrost them, then poured the eggs over it all and scrambled it up. With all the little green bits, it looked rather disgusting! LOL But it was soooooo delicious! I think I'm going to do this again tomorrow! I could actually make another plate of this, but I won't.
  • Carol Sue, nice weigh in, glad everything is coming together

Shannon the sneak peeks help us stay OP and motivated. I should probably start doing it again also during the day while I can. I use to weigh myself whenever I was about to eat something not good for me and it would deter me if I saw a good number. I'm glad the scale numbers are going in the right direction for you

I'm up .6 this morning feeling really really bloated but my fbs came back down as it usually does when the scale is up. It was 118 this morning so hopefully the 120's to 130's are gone Until my birthday when I have my Food Lion cake and ice cream. I love their cakes. The are the only ones that still use icing and not that butter creme stuff, yuck
  • Quote: Carol Sue, nice weigh in, glad everything is coming together

Shannon the sneak peeks help us stay OP and motivated. I should probably start doing it again also during the day while I can. I use to weigh myself whenever I was about to eat something not good for me and it would deter me if I saw a good number. I'm glad the scale numbers are going in the right direction for you

I'm up .6 this morning feeling really really bloated but my fbs came back down as it usually does when the scale is up. It was 118 this morning so hopefully the 120's to 130's are gone Until my birthday when I have my Food Lion cake and ice cream. I love their cakes. The are the only ones that still use icing and not that butter creme stuff, yuck
    I like real frosting and not the stuff that is like whipped cream! Your post reminded me I have anniversary, mother's day and my birthday all in May.....oy!
  • I scoop out my coconut oil and melt it in the micro wave. I use a lot of coconut oil! I found a huge container of it at my local Amish store.

Carbs are pretty low (figuring in fiber) for the flax meal - on my eating plan they are recommended for the higher fat meals. I eat carb meals like sweet potato separate from high fat meals. It lets my body work on burning one fuel at a time.
  • Wow, Shannon and you like to cook. Hopefully they are not all in the same weeks. So one cheat meal a week may not be bad, idk.

I had a bad day today after careful planning, smh. I got to see my stats from Dec to now from a friend on another thread so that made me smile. I have come a long way so I will get back on the wagon tomorrow and get as close as I can to my birthday goal
  • Haven't been on pc much today. Did laundry and went to Bible study tonight and that is about it. I'm doing better just counting calories and watching my fiber. I finally have that straightened out again. I decided that if I don't do Atkins that I can use beans sometimes for my fiber instead of or along with veggies, but I can cut back on some of the veggies especially raw ones as they are hard on my tummy if I eat too many of them. And to quote Carol Sue the beams have worked very well today. My calories for today is 1192 and the fiber was 30 g which when subtracted from the carbs comes to net carbs of 42 g. So that is good as far as I'm concerned.

I will be back tomorrow and do indies.

Good night.
  • Trish glad to see you I'm gonna try to add beans back in but the refried way like Shannon told me. I figure I'll cook, divide and freeze them since my husband will probably not want them in the refried state . I really need to get in more fiber.

I had a plan today and totally blew it. My numbers are just ridiculous across the board but tomorrow is a new day and my 3FC friends have gave me great pep talks and helped me pick myself and my sadness back up. So hoping tomorrow will be a much much better day
  • Rennie hope you have a better day tomorrow! Try not to get too down, this too shall pass. In addition to the anniversary, Mother's day and birthday in May we will be going on a week's vacation the last week of the month. I feel sick....lol! I might actually have real cake on my bday :-) the week of vacation I should have a kitchen to work with, thank God, but we usually eat out alot too.

Carol Sue I am impressed that you've brought your FBS down so far! You have really accomplished alot. You should be, as my 3 year old would say, super proud!

Today breakfast was a boil in bag cheese omelet with strawberries. Lunch was a homemade taco salad (no shell). I made these poppers subbing cream cheese instead of goat for a snack in the afternoon http://popularpaleo.com/2013/03/19/s...epper-poppers/

Then tonight I had dinner out with a friend at Chili's. I watched her eat the chips and salsa and wasn't interested in them....amazing! I got a guacamole burger and removed the bun. There were finely chopped jalapenos in the guac so I had to pick all those out....cannot do jalapenos! The only sub for the fries that was LC was broccoli and I just could not see that as an appropriate side for a burger! LOL! So, I got the sweet potato fries for 50 cent extra and ate less than half and added on a side of grilled shrimp. Just checked my BS and it's 106 so I am refraining from a snack. Hoping to see a lower number tomorrow.

Question? - how long after waking should I be checking my FBS? I am usually up a while before checking because of attending to my daughter. I am wondering if it is rising alot in that period of time.
  • Checking FBS varies by personal opinion. Some say check the minute you get up. The thing I don't like is sometimes I check upon waking, don't eat, and a hour later it's up even higher. Others say to eat something, however small, immediately upon rising to stop your blood sugar from going higher. (Saying to myself, but eating is going to make it go higher, too!) So my final answer is "I don't know." LOL

I have been checking fasting, and 3-4 hrs after eating. That would show me how far my bs went down after a meal, but I also need to check 2 hours after a meal to see just how far the meal has spiked my bs. It really shouldn't be that high because I'm not eating carbs. I have heard that protein will eventually turn to glucose too, so it should be limited. Fat is supposed to slow the spike. I am suffering from information overload and all this testing is getting on my nerves.

Yesterday in the store I found that Pancake/Waffle mix. They had a separate section for glute-free items. I noticed they had regular and sugar free and the sugar free was the low carb one. I didn't buy it, because I'm not ready for that. But at least I know where to find it when I want it.

This store has a very big section for The Red Mill's stuff. The only thing I ever bought from there is the potato starch. I had read about resistant starch and how it is supposed to lower blood sugar. Put it in water and mix it up. It doesn't have much taste but it made me very burpy. Now I just use it as a thickener in stuff like chili and spaghetti sauce. I only drank it a couple days so I didn't give it a chance to see if it helped blood sugar. When I think of it I put the vinegar and lemon juice in my water bottle.