3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles > Diabetes Support

April Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #61
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Thanks Shannon I bought some gas relief chewables to help with the gas gas if you know what I mean, but the belching is the problem I have with eggs and it smells toxic. It makes me gag The probiotic pills you bought are they the one a day ones? I saw that on television but they cost more than I wanted pay or more than I had money for at the time.

Did you see my post above about the dandelion tea? Have you heard of that before?
My husband got on one of his kicks and bought some kind of pricey ones (one a day) he read about but honestly, based on what doctors have told me I don't think brand matters. Consistency in taking them and making sure there are enough organisms in them is what is important. I think I read 50 billion for at least a month or two (to get system properly populated) and then 15 billion after for maintenance. I have asthma and get alot of upper respiratory infections in winter and end up on antibiotics quite often. I am doing 3 months on the higher dose then will likely buy something at walmart for after that. I'm not really into fads but I have alot of GI issues and am hoping this helps along with my other dietary changes.

I have heard of dandelion tea but have never tried it. I had my gall bladder out so it could help with some of my GI issues. I am peeing all the time though from increasing water so I'm afraid to try anything known to have a diuretic effect right now!

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

My blog: http://shannonssliceoflife.blogspot.com/
Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #62
love to be a lower weight

S/C/G: HW 220/SW 197.2/ticker/GW 132

Height: 5'3

Shannon, I only pee a ton when my carbs are high and with bad starchy foods. I just couldn't figure it out today but I had a lot of water today. I've also had a few hot flashes today ... even at church. So I don't know what's going on with this body of mine.

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #63

S/C/G: 238/214.8/135

Height: 5'2'

Rennie No, I haven't heard of the dandelion tea for a diuretic, detoxifacation. I don't have any problems with the eggs, but then I only eat 2 a day. My problem seems to be onions right now. I have also heard that you don't have to do Induction, but hadn't read or seen it on official the site. Actually, my carbs minus the fiber are in line with Induction carbs today. Congratulations on your 1.2 lb loss.

So glad you girls mentioned the probiotics as I've forgotten to take mine today and yesterday. I take the Phillips probiotics.

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #64

Thanks Trish, I need to look into the probiotics for sure

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #65
Struggling Dieter

I usually eat 2 eggs or eggbeaters a day. No problems. Sometimes I also eat a hard boiled egg or put one in my salad.

You all know I am into "eat what I like" rather than following a formal diet plan. Well back in the 70's I only had about 25 lbs to lose. I read the Atkins book, but did my own thing. I ate like I'm eating now....meat, fish, eggs and veggies. I avoided, bread, sweets, potatoes, rice...the obvious carbs. If I went to a party or buffet and the only meat choice was fried chicken with breading, I ate it and wrote it off as a blip. I lost the 25 lbs and kept it off until I got married to Mr Carb himself. When I started eating carb again, I gained and here I am. On the Atkins forum, Kim has a section on why you have to do induction. I think I will go back and read it. She is like an Atkins Guru and takes it very seriously. I think if you can lose weight on a general low carb food plan it is not imperative to follow induction to the letter. I know that induction is supposed to get you completely off carbs, and then when you add them back gradually, you learn what your limit is. But my opinion is coming from someone who is very overweight, so in that case, Kim's opinion would carry more weight as she has lost and kept it off.

Rennie With my heart disease, I have to be careful about diuretics. It is just as bad for me to become dehydrated as it is to be retaining fluid.

Your recent post gave me a big reason NOT to want to trade ages with you. You have not yet gone through meanopause, and that is an intentional typo! LOL It is a whole new world! I don't know what women did that God is punishing them so. LOL

My husband doesn't like potato pancakes made with leftover potatoes. Actually, around our area, those are called potato cakes. Potato pancakes are usually made with shredded raw potatoes. I cube the potatoes and put them in the blended with egg, flour and salt. They grate up finer like lumpy pancake batter. That's the only way DH likes them. I like them too, with a dollop of sour cream, but can't eat them.

Trish I used to get so much indigestion from onions, but I've been eating tons of them lately and they don't bother me anymore. My husband doesn't like my breath afterwards, though!

Shannon, I didn't know the control solution was free. I am going to look up the online order form and if I can't find it I will call the company. I really want to have it.

I love a taco salad. We never go out for Mexican, but we do buy take out tacos from Taco Bell on occasion. I bring them home and dump the filling into a bowl of lettuce. They are still considered high fat that way, but I watch carbs, not fat, unless it's sat fat. The lettuce helps fill me up.

I don't date my strips when I open them, either, so if I'm not testing regularly they get old. I was told that unless you are on insulin, insurance won't give you more strips than one or two per day. The reason is because if you do get a high reading there's not much you can do about it besides exercising. It's not like a T1 who can inject insulin. Once you determine what foods spike your blood glucose you should not have to keep testing post-prandial. I know some type 2s who take Metformin and don't test at all.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #66
~Shannon

Official weigh day....202! I'm back to where I was in early Feb when I started gaining and gave up. I would love to 1) not give up this time, lol and 2) lose 2 lbs this week and be at 200 next Monday! LOL! Not sure if that will happen but you heard it here first!

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #67
Struggling Dieter

I just read Kim's post on the importance of induction:

It is necessary to rid your body of carb and sugar addiction,

I guess I see her point, in that if you have any bad carbs in your diet in those 2 weeks you will still have cravings for them. It's like trying to quit smoking while still having a cigarette or two a day. You have to go cold turkey to get rid of the cravings.

Now I'm off to see what the actual Atkins book has to say about the subject.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #68

Carol Sue, Oh yeah the ones my Mom made are called potato cakes My boys have ordered the ones you make at Waffle House but I just thought they were called hashbrowns they put ketchup on them

My fbs was a little lower this morning 121. So it's coming back down.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #69

Shannon you can do it and I hope to do it with you

Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #70
Pumpkins make me smile!

S/C/G: 232/ticker/153

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Been on Atkins induction since last Tuesday a.m. and have lost 9.8 lbs as of today. FBGL has been good. Kim is very, VERY knowledgeable and steared me towards this book: Atkins Diabetes Revolution. Perhaps you can get it from the Library.

Kim also is pure Atkins. Check out this post! Shakes and bars would not have met Robert's approval.

Shhhh - don't let the Beachers know. I am going to use South Beach when I get rid of some more of my winter avoirdupois.

“Change isn’t easy. But if you don’t change, you just stay the same, and where’s the fun in that?”
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #71

Carol Sue I never thought of menopause that way, but it surely is mean to us women isn't it? Before I went through it, I had no problem at all losing weight. That is interesting because I remember my sister's doc telling her one time that he didn't understand why she could lose weight so easy, but not able to keep it off. Now she has a difficult time even losing like I have had. We have talked about it and wondered why. Never thought it was men/meanopause. Puts a whole new light on it.

Kim has been doing Atkins for a long time and I have to say she knows her stuff. She tried to help me when I fi.rst tried Atkins. I know she and a lot of the original Atkins people don't like the New Atkins plan, but too me when Dr. Atkins wrote his 1st book, it was very good, but I think it was written not only for us, but he was also writing it for medical doctors so they could understand the mechanics of it. Some things I just could not grasp or understand, but then I wasn't a doctor or RN either. For me the new book has helped me, becaue they have taken it and made it understandable so even I can understand it. I personally am thankful for the the new book.

I also agree with Kim about doing Induction. Someone who was on this thread yrs ago made the suggestion to me that if I could not do the Atkins Induction or Phase 1 of South Beach for 2 weeks that maybe I should just move on to the next phase. I think they were stressing the fact that just doing low carb in any form was better than not. I think one of the books SB or Atkins even says the same. Back then I never could go more than 10 days on Induction because I wanted some of the foods not allowed. However, I did get to the place that I didn't crave them, but as we know, I didn't stick with that either or I wouldn't be having to do this now. Carol Sue When I was in OA, we had a rule where if we were in a situation like you described that we could go ahead and eat the fried chicken whatever as long as we got right back on plan at the next meal. We knew we were not to make it an excuse to spend the day on a binge. Don't know why I had forgotten that.

I think I'm doing better this time mainly because of the stomach trouble I've been having. I think it has been a God send. You know God makes something good out of bad. I have to eat like I'm eating to feel good.

I actually am still on Induction. The book plays a "mind game" of sorts that works for me. Don't remember how Dr. Atkins did in the original, but the option of staying on Induction or moving on to OWL is now mine and that is what I need. I need to feel my way of eating is my choice. Another thing about the new plan that helps me where the old didn't explain clearly for me is that you eat a variety of low carb veggies not just a lot of protein with a little bit of lettuce salad like some people thought back then. I know that is what I thought and is probably why it got boring to me and I couldn't stick with it. I never got into ketosis doing Atkins back then. Personally, I am thankful for and love the clarification and down to earth jargon that I can understand from the new Atkins book.

The more I understand of how Induction works I realized that this way of eating isn't much different from the original Overeater's Anonymous gray sheet diet that I followed years ago except that you were only allowed to eat 3 meals a day and absolutely no snacks. I did pretty good on it, but I was hungry all the time. And there were times that I did cave because of I felt like I was starving. I can remember times that I ate all my meat and veggies at a meal and when I got through, I felt like I was starving as soon as I was through. We weren't allowed fat on that plan. Now that I can eat the way I did back then but have the fat and can eat up to 6 small meals if need be, I am never hungry.

The new Atkins says I can stay in Induction as long as I wish even down to within, I think, they said 10 lbs of goal. Then go directly to preparing for maintenance for the last few lbs. So for now, I am going to continue Induction until I feel like I'm ready or need to move on to OWL. They say staying on Induction helps to lose faster, however, if you don't mind losing slower you can choose to move on to OWL whenever ready. So I will stay at AI for a while. I want to lose as much as I possiby can before I go to TX. Then I will slow it down some. I did read in the book you don't have to exercise, but exercise helps the protein function better. So I will stick to exercising anywhere from 20 to 25 minutes 6 days a week. I hope that at 70 yrs of age the exercise will help tone myself as I lose so I won't be too flabby. That is one of the other things that I love about low carbing.

I did an experiment last night with eating before going to bed. It still doesn't work for me. I was up .2 lb from yesterday, but still lost 1 lbs this week. My fbs was up to 116 too. It always works that way for me and I'm sure it must be how my body functions so I'll not have bedtime snacks any more. I've also experimented this week with eating a starch one meal this week. It didn't seem to hurt me in any way so I do believe that will not be a problem on occasion but not on a regular basis. I know on Carbohydrate Addicts Diet you can do this daily, but the weight loss is so slow and so I will use days that I may have to or choose to eat off plan will become a "Planned" CAD day. That way I will never have a day when I will feel that I am really off plan because even those days the eating will be an On plan day.

Shannon While it is possible to lose that 2 lbs by next Monday, remember our bodies don't always act the way we want. At my age I would cautious hope for that, however, you are young enough that it is more likely that you will make it than not and I'm pulling for you. I am so proud of you for doing this while you are young then you will not have to deal with it at my age.

Rennie I think I remember you asking about kale. I buy mine frozen these days because it is so much easier. This morning I took 1 egg, 1/4 c turkey sausage and 1/4 c baby leaf kale and mixed with a little salt and Mrs. Dash mixed it in my Stonewave and microwaved it. When that was done I spread a tablespoon of Apricot Polaner SF preserves for extra fiber on top and ate it. My DH thinks I'm crazy but I often take certain foods I cook individually for us and mix mine into one serving. So greens like kale are so easy to mix into other foods. I used to purchase it fresh and break it up and wash it and put some of it in my salads too. I stopped and went to frozen because the fresh ruined too fast since I'm the only one who eats it. I used to even put it on hamburger or sandwiches in place of lettuce when I ate bread. I just realized in writing you that it would make a better bun replacement for a hamburger than the lettuce I usually use. It would hold up better so I could use the kale on the outside for more firmness and then add the lettuce and then build the burger. I'm going to have to get some fresh kale and try that soon.

Well, I got up late and am behind on everything so I'll catch y'all later. I got up late and DH got up early and is already asking what we are going to eat. I will have either Cube beef steak or a pork chop whichever he decides. I will eat either mustard or turnip greens and a salad with mine.

Have a great day catch; y'all later.

Trish

Old 04-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #72

Ruth that a great loss, way to go

Trish you are on a roll. Loads of information

I have had such an off day today food wise. I am gonna have to pick myself up and dust off. I can stop now with the junk but I don't think I can combat the mess I've already made today

Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Been on Atkins induction since last Tuesday a.m. and have lost 9.8 lbs as of today. FBGL has been good. Kim is very, VERY knowledgeable and steared me towards this book: Atkins Diabetes Revolution. Perhaps you can get it from the Library.

Kim also is pure Atkins. Check out this post! Shakes and bars would not have met Robert's approval.

Shhhh - don't let the Beachers know. I am going to use South Beach when I get rid of some more of my winter avoirdupois.
If I'm not mistaken, the shakes were only to be used in emergencies not as a regular everyday use.

Glad things are working for you again Ruthie. Congratulations on the 9.8 lbs loss.

Trish

Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #74
Struggling Dieter

Wow Ruthie! That's a wonderful loss!

Tonight I made chili for dinner. The beans are probably the most carbs I have had since I started this plan. I really missed my beans. They should help with the constipation, but I will be very curious as to what they do to my blood glucose. I will check tonight before I go to bed. They say that they are supposed to help lower blood sugar but they have never done that in the past. We shall see.

Kim and I had a discussion once about the New Atkins book. She relies only on the original Atkins. IMO the new book is the same principal as the old, it's just explained differently.

My DH is sick. I don't now what's actually wrong with him, but I'm concerned. In the 37 years I've known him, being sick never stops him. He always went to work sick, and would never lie down and rest when I suggested. He would be down in the basement or garage working on something no matter how he felt. And he would never admit he was sick. A week or so ago he sounded really nasally when he got up and I asked if he was getting sick and he said no. As days went by, he was sneezing and coughing, clearing his throat, and one day he almost lost his voice he was so hoarse. Now he finally told me that his chest is hurting really bad, and the pain is going around to his back. He thinks he has a chest cold and a lot of congestion. He never goes to the doctor unless he is carried into the hospital on a stretcher. He mentioned he might go to MedExpress, then decided to go to the drugstore to get something for congestion. He bought some Mucinex and is taking Alka Seltzer Plus but nothing seems to be helping. He has been lying in bed for the past three days. Definately not like him. He gets up and gets dressed, eats and goes to the bathroom, but is just lying in bed watching TV. I asked how he feels and he said a little better. It is so not like him to lie around. I'm concerned that it's pneumonia but he doesn't have a fever. He's not coughing anything up. Actually, he's not coughing at all anymore. I guess when he's darn good and ready he will go to MedExpress or the ER. From the way he's describing the chest pain it doesn't sound like heart pains. It's like a constant ache. He's usually the one who takes care of me, but I go to the doctor for every little thing, his words. I worry because he won't go. I would rather go to the doctor and have him tell me it's a cold than wait and find out it's something more serious.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #75
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Wow Ruthie! That's a wonderful loss!

Tonight I made chili for dinner. The beans are probably the most carbs I have had since I started this plan. I really missed my beans. They should help with the constipation, but I will be very curious as to what they do to my blood glucose. I will check tonight before I go to bed. They say that they are supposed to help lower blood sugar but they have never done that in the past. We shall see.

Kim and I had a discussion once about the New Atkins book. She relies only on the original Atkins. IMO the new book is the same principal as the old, it's just explained differently.

My DH is sick. I don't now what's actually wrong with him, but I'm concerned. In the 37 years I've known him, being sick never stops him. He always went to work sick, and would never lie down and rest when I suggested. He would be down in the basement or garage working on something no matter how he felt. And he would never admit he was sick. A week or so ago he sounded really nasally when he got up and I asked if he was getting sick and he said no. As days went by, he was sneezing and coughing, clearing his throat, and one day he almost lost his voice he was so hoarse. Now he finally told me that his chest is hurting really bad, and the pain is going around to his back. He thinks he has a chest cold and a lot of congestion. He never goes to the doctor unless he is carried into the hospital on a stretcher. He mentioned he might go to MedExpress, then decided to go to the drugstore to get something for congestion. He bought some Mucinex and is taking Alka Seltzer Plus but nothing seems to be helping. He has been lying in bed for the past three days. Definately not like him. He gets up and gets dressed, eats and goes to the bathroom, but is just lying in bed watching TV. I asked how he feels and he said a little better. It is so not like him to lie around. I'm concerned that it's pneumonia but he doesn't have a fever. He's not coughing anything up. Actually, he's not coughing at all anymore. I guess when he's darn good and ready he will go to MedExpress or the ER. From the way he's describing the chest pain it doesn't sound like heart pains. It's like a constant ache. He's usually the one who takes care of me, but I go to the doctor for every little thing, his words. I worry because he won't go. I would rather go to the doctor and have him tell me it's a cold than wait and find out it's something more serious.
It sounds like walking pneumonia to me, I've had it a couple times. I hope he goes. I know all about hubbies that won't go to the dr!

Start 3/25/14

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.