April Chat

You're on Page 4 of 20
Go to
  • Carol Sue, I always have a great time with my daughter. Eventhough she's married and on her own I still see her as my baby. She was here last evening. I love having her around. I didn't over eat really but when I add up the calories of the stuff that I eat out verses what I prepare at home the number are ridiculous. Had I made a double cheese burger at home, I would have used oopsie bread. Had I ate a slice of pizza at home I would have not had any crust or used oopsie bread. So processed/take out/sodium laden food is definitely not the way I want to eat. I use to order a thin crust spinach alfredo pizza from CiCi's. I would add more spinach and eat a slice or two a day, that wasn't bad to me. I really miss the convenience of where we use to live. My daughter got that pizza from Little Caesar's and I don't even know if they can make a healthy pizza Does your pizzaria have the same owners? The pizza may be just as great as you remember Sounds like a great plan. The places that my husband and I use to eat at are in Washington, DC where we grew up. Washington has changed so much nothing is the same and it seems once the children and grandchildren take over what establishments are still there the food is different. Ah but old times and memories are great Carol Sue I like that saying. Now I have just the opposite story of you and your Mother. I grew up going to church all the time and I wanted to go. However, it was my God-Parents that took me and had me baptized not my Mother. She would get me dressed and send me on my way. As I got older and noticed a lot of things that I did not agree with (in that church) per se, I stopped going regularly. My ex-husband was a church goer but did not practice what he preached per se, so another strike for me. However his Mother was a Saint but her church was too far. My now husband grew up in another faith that I did not agree with either but they say opposites attract. We had a ton of major life issues going on and I was about to lose my mind (I think). I had a neighbor that asked me continually to go to church with her and it got so bad that I would avoid seeing her so I wouldn't have to say no. Then my/our world just started falling apart/down/pure chaos. I turned to God who has always been there for me but I never opened up to allow Him to fully come in. (yes I joined my neighbors church best decision I have made) All that to say, when I gave up my cigarettes and drinking cold turkey and got completely involved in my friends church my Mom giggled and taunted me saying things like I'm acting like I am this and that. I thought what is wrong with her she should be happy. But she has never said anything good about me until recently with my weight loss. I have never done anything right in her opinion. Every bed I've made I needed to lay in it to learn from my mistakes. Her words. I use to want her to say I've done something good in life but now it doesn't matter. So to hear her speak about my weight is a shock, and that may have been because the rest of my family was commenting and she needed to chime in. OK long story, thanks for listening.

Carol Sue, what was wrong with this board before, just curious? sounds like we were out of whack! (hope this doesn't sound mean, it surely isn't meant to be )

Shannon I have been having for breakfast
    ~eggs, with cheese and sausage or bacon.
    ~protein smoothie, with yogurt and flaxseed mixed in
    ~Atkins shake with a scoop of protein powder
    ~protein pancake, omelet

lunch
    ~lettuce wrap with tuna and provolone (I heat the tuna and provolone), some kind of fruit, nuts
    ~lettuce wrap with turkey and cheese, some kind of fruit, nuts

this is when I eat like I am supposed to.

Today I had an Atkins shake, a ½ cup of cream of chicken soup (I prepared for the kids but they didn't eat for dinner) and I was thinking of a grapefruit but I'm not hungry. I try have about 12-16ozs of water before I eat or green tea. Hope this helps when I think of more things I'll add them.

Trish where are you?

I got enough sleep so weight was down .6 fbs was at 120 because I ate hot Takis/Chips late which is a but today's a new day
  • Oh I have JFG mayonnaise. No carbs and no sugar.

I just read in Woman's World last night that if we eat all food cooked at home and not processed already prepared things our weight loss would improve substantially. I'm gonna try to cook (cook) all of my meals for a week and see what happens. I hope I don't get bord, since it's just for me I will prepare enough to last. Also drinking cucumber, citrus water. I'm gonna give this a shot.
  • First off, I don't think I welcomed the Newbies. So a big to all of you. Great to see our little corner of 3fc growing again.

I had beauty appt early this morning so no time to post. I came home and was a little hungry so I tried something I read about on another thread. I know Greek yogurt is supposed to be good for you, but I didn't like the taste. Someone on another thread said that they add Polaner SF preservatives to their Greek yogurt. Now that I'm remembering to subtract my fiber count from the carb count this is working better. I'm not sure yogurt is allowed the first week of Atkins, but I ate it with the Polaner and it was delicious. Since it was a snack to hold me over until lunch, I only ate 1/4 c Greek yogurt with 1 T Polaner. It was surprisingly good.

I'm having a hamburger today minus the bun. I'm cooking so it will be low carb. I may have to add some raw veggies for crunchiness as I love potato chips with my burger.

Rennie When I decided that I was going to do Atkins, I planned it for a time when we don't have any other plans so that all our food would be prepared at home... no eating out. I decided a while back when we were eating out so often that we would do better if we ate at home more and I prepared out meals. I had forgotten about the flaxseed, I hadn't thought about it. Thanks for the reminder; I think I'll try adding it to the yogurt/Polaner mixture. Oh yes, another thing, I agree with Carol Sue eating off once in a while isn't going to be bad as long as we don't allow it to derail and send us on one of those "well, I've blown it today so I might as well eat" attitudes and go wild. We are learning how to make this a lifestyle of eating not just another diet. You will be fine.

Shannon I've never been able to do Atkins Induction before for any length of time. But this time has been different. I won't keep my carbs this low except for the 2 weeks recommended and then I will start raising them 5 g a week. Atkins says that some people can only do between 30 & 40 g while other are able to do much more and still lose weight. So you are probably doing what works for you and that is good.

Carol Sue I know that exercise is definitely plays a great part of keeping fbs down. Mine was 117 g this morning, but I haven't exercised this week. I am thinking I will start riding the recumbent bike again Monday, but just not 45 minutes. While reading the book again, I noticed that if you already exercise pretty good and it doesn't make you weak while doing Induction, that you are allowed to continue exercising. So I am thinking that I could at least do 20 to 25 minutes until my body adjusts.

Ruthie So glad bs is better. I know the dental work is unpleasant, but you will feel so much better when it is done. Always good to hear from you.

Donna I'm interested in the muffin recipe too.

Well, that hamburger on lettuce is calling my name LOL. So I'm going to go make it.

Keep up the good work everybody and have a blessed weekend. I'll catch y'all sometime tomorrow after church.

Y'all are a great bunch and I'm so glad to be a part of y'all.

Oh yes. Weight was 225.4 again. I'm thinking this a good thing because it means my body is making the transition and hopefully the weight will start coming down again soon.
  • Trish that hamburger on lettuce sound delicious, now I want one thanks for the reminder about the Polaner. I forgot I bought some almond butter today at Aldi and I wanted to try it. I don't like it alone like peanut butter so I made me a half of a sandwich on s/f nature's own with the polaner grape jam. I agree Greek yogurt definitely has it's own distinction

I had another crazy eating day thanks to being out too long ... but I got to the gym burned 260 calories not nearly enough but that's all the time we had

B ~ Atkins chocolate shake, ½ cup cream of chicken soup w/real chicken
    S ~ whopper malted eggs, banana
    L ~ Atkins chocolate peanut butter bar
    S ~ ¼ of a pack of cheese/pb cracker so one cracker, almond butter/polaner s/f grape on a slice of s/f nature's own
    D ~ little pieces of orange chicken b4 the sauce was put on it, egg roll no duck sauce and 1.5 grapefruits
  • I bought a new meter today (blue). I went to Walmart to get a refill of strips and discovered they've changed their brand of meters. The strips for the newer meter are half the cost of the strips for my my old meter (green). The new meter would pay for itself on the second box of strips so that was a no brainer. Since I am not diagnosed I get no coverage for supplies.

Anyway, I have to order control material for the new strips and I am out of control material for the old strips so I thought the best I could do for right now was test both at same time to see if they were running the same.....hmmm.....not good....one isn't working properly but I don't know which one. My guess is either my older strips or older meter are the culprit. If I am right that means all my values I've been getting have appeared much lower than they actually are....yikes! (Related but unrelated, my degree is in laboratory medicine...if anyone ever has questions interpreting lab values for any test, please feel free to pick my brain....somedays I miss thinking scientifically, lol!)

• I am down another 1.2 lbs today. Tomorrow is my actual WI, so will wait until tomorrow to change ticker if it stays. My fbs was 97 today.

I did not stay with Atkin Induction because I couldn't handle the constipation. I ended up eating about 40 g net carbs yesterday. So I am going to go up a little to get the fiber in. I want to keep my fiber no higher than 30 g.

Didn't make it to church today because my stomach was not good last night, but I know it was caused by the onion on the hamburger. It was hmm delicious while I ate it, but I paid for it later. I guess I will have to saute them for a while till tummy is much better.

Rennie I had an Atkins shake this morning with 1/2 c blueberries and it was delicious. Boy it fills you up. I lost weight before I married my DH 11 yrs ago drinking shakes in the morning, but didn't add anything to it. Didn't know much about it back then. I also ate a low carb bar once in a while with a cup of coffee. I didn't eat right at meal time though. A friend and I would go to Cracker Barrel and have coffee and i would always eat a chef salad. While I did get some nutrition, I didn't eat enough as I was working 3 jobs at the time and by the time Tony married me I was thinner, but not in great shape. I started juicing and eating high protein when I married him and eventually got my health back. I think I could drink an Atkins shake with fruit and eat pretty balanced low carb and do great now.

Any way, I wanted to try the shake this morning since I didn't go to church because I wanted to see how my body deals with it. It is my plan to start drinking one on Sat and Sun mornings if I handle it okay. I am always in a hurry to get out of here those mornings to go to beauty shop on Sat and since we always have breakfast meal when we get home from church and I don't want 2 egg breakfasts on Sun. These shakes would work great.

Oh last night for a snack I whipped 2 eggs and put it in a pan with a little bit of coconut oil and got busy and ended up with an omelet. I added a pinch of mozzarella cheese grated and then. Put it on the plate and though. Wow that looks like a pancake so I spread a Tbles of Polaner Apricot on it and it was surprising good. So a new tasty way to get 3 g fiber.

Lunch today will be eggs, bacon and kale.

Dinner will be cube steak, green beans and maybe a small salad w/mayo.

Not sure what snacks will be yet. Mainly going for 15 to 25 g fiber toay.

Oh yes, Rennie I ordered the free books from Atkins so when I get the bars, I'll see if I like any of those. I finally realized why I don't like the ones I got. I like the plain coconut bars and the one I got has almonds. Just not as good. You know Walmart doesn't carry everything or they were sold out of good ones and not good at restocking. I guess I should have gotten the peanut butter cups instead. Not my favorite, but I like them better than what they had.

Carol Sue Hope your thumb is feeling better today.

Ok girls I'm out of here for now. Have blessed Sunday.
  • Quote: I bought a new meter today (blue). I went to Walmart to get a refill of strips and discovered they've changed their brand of meters. The strips for the newer meter are half the cost of the strips for my my old meter (green). The new meter would pay for itself on the second box of strips so that was a no brainer. Since I am not diagnosed I get no coverage for supplies.

Anyway, I have to order control material for the new strips and I am out of control material for the old strips so I thought the best I could do for right now was test both at same time to see if they were running the same.....hmmm.....not good....one isn't working properly but I don't know which one. My guess is either my older strips or older meter are the culprit. If I am right that means all my values I've been getting have appeared much lower than they actually are....yikes! (Related but unrelated, my degree is in laboratory medicine...if anyone ever has questions interpreting lab values for any test, please feel free to pick my brain....somedays I miss thinking scientifically, lol!)
    I plan to get DH and me one of those when we run out of our strips. We have the Reli-on Ultima they came out with a few years ago. So far my meter has been pretty much in line with my A1c readings. Although there have been times I thought my readings were high and the A1c reading was lower when there was a difference. I never worried about it because A1c is average of 3 months. I sure hope when I get the Prime that it will be as good as my Ultima. I've never ordered the control materials, but I've never had any problems with mine. I remember fatmad told us a while back that meters are allowed to be off a few mg so I didn't expect it to perfect. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I don't know.
  • DH wants potato pancakes for dinner today, so I am taking advantage of the opportunity to cook fish for myself. I saw on TV yesterday how to bake fish in parchment paper packets so I'm going to try that. I love baked fish. I don't know a lot about cooking fish. I recently made some talapia on my grill pan and it turned out good. I grilled it on one side, then after I turned it over I put a lid over it so it would steam and get cooked through. These parchment packets look so easy. You can put any seasoning you want on the fish.

Trish
    I also heard that the meters are not perfect, but give you a ball park number. I usually use control solution but what I have right now expired and I got a bad reading with it based on what the book said the control test should be. I asked at WalMart and they don't have the control solution but there's a phone number in the booklet that you call and they will send it to you. I don't know about cost.

One time I had 2 One Touch meters and the readings were way off from each other. I ran a control test and it didn't help. I opened a new canister of strips and that did the trick. They were not expired, but I wasn't testing much back then and they were just old.

I could not stay on induction either. I know that Kim on the Atkins board is adamant on the important of doing induction first, but someone else on that board said that you CAN follow Atkins without doing induction. I guess it's one of those things that isn't the same for everyone.

Last night DH baked a chocolate cake. I tasted one tiny forkful and it was just blah. I am so off sweets! Guess he'll have to eat it all himself!

I think my thumb is getting better. Today I took the bandage off and just have some gauze over it. I want to let it get some air, but the gauze covers it so dirt can't get into it.

Shannon, I am covered for testing supplies but the Reli-On are so cheap I just buy them.
  • Quote: I plan to get DH and me one of those when we run out of our strips. We have the Reli-on Ultima they came out with a few years ago. So far my meter has been pretty much in line with my A1c readings. Although there have been times I thought my readings were high and the A1c reading was lower when there was a difference. I never worried about it because A1c is average of 3 months. I sure hope when I get the Prime that it will be as good as my Ultima. I've never ordered the control materials, but I've never had any problems with mine. I remember fatmad told us a while back that meters are allowed to be off a few mg so I didn't expect it to perfect. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I don't know.
    The control material is free so I usually order it. I am having problems; however, getting the online request form to work so I guess I will call tomorrow. The FDA allows up to a 20% difference from laboratory run blood glucose levels and meter determined levels because of the difference in sample type but
    I'm not sure what the acceptable difference would be between two very similar meters. I would expect it to have a much tighter Coefficient of Variation but maybe not.
  • Quote: I also heard that the meters are not perfect, but give you a ball park number. I usually use control solution but what I have right now expired and I got a bad reading with it based on what the book said the control test should be. I asked at WalMart and they don't have the control solution but there's a phone number in the booklet that you call and they will send it to you. I don't know about cost.

One time I had 2 One Touch meters and the readings were way off from each other. I ran a control test and it didn't help. I opened a new canister of strips and that did the trick. They were not expired, but I wasn't testing much back then and they were just old.

Shannon, I am covered for testing supplies but the Reli-On are so cheap I just buy them.
    I thought about it and those strips may have been too old. I had used them a while then quit testing a while, started back, quit again and started back so who knows how old they were. They were not expired but I didn't date them so could have been opened too long. I'm just kind of upset now to know my readings are probably 10-15% higher than I thought. I go for my next A1c draw in about 10 days and my appt is in 17 days so I will get answers soon.
  • What a day, it's 5 pm and I wish I could get in bed, lol! I'm almost afraid to write this but my daughter has finally started sleeping a little better, after almost 4 yrs of not sleeping well, so she is waking earlier. So we went to the early service at church today. We went to mexican afterwards. I only ate two chips....wow, that's a first. I did order shrimp tacos and they were good but it was more bread than I've had in a couple weeks so I was full after 2 and my daughter ate the 3rd one. Strange though, about halfway through I was craving a taco salad! I never order those but I think that may be changing. I am truly starting to like vegetables more....another miracle. This afternoon I hard boiled some eggs for the week and pulled lots of weeds in the yard. I have a pot roast in the crock. I'm ready to eat and go to bed, lol! Unfortunately I have a lot more to accomplish today so that isn't happening but a girl can dream.
  • Shannon I'm still reading but I hope you get everything straight will the meters. Hope the strips were just old from opening and you are not diabetic I have so many different meters. I wanted to get the Reli-on Prime meter at Walmart (which I see is what you purchased) since it is easily accessible but I bought the Bayer Contour Next USB on sale last year. I had been wanting it so when they marked it down, I jumped on it . I like that I can connect it to the computer Great NSV's today, hope you get to go to bed sooner, than later

Trish, on the 1.2lbs down Atkins induction is doing what it says, way to go Congratulations on the low fbs that is great. I'm longing to see those double digit numbers. And now I'm reading it's not making you feel well, I'm sorry. Glad you liked the shakes. They are good for a quick go to or in my case just being too lazy to prepare something a lot of morning Trish how many eggs do you eat in a day? Do they bother your stomach? I bet gassy if I eat too many. I bought some organic Kale at Aldi yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm going to cook it or eat it raw. I've never had it raw, so any feedback you all have on the taste would be greatly appreciated. Either way I'm gonna give it a try raw but I'd like to know what you all think Trish you know that's the funny thing about Walmart, each one is so different. If I find something at one that I like I keep saying I am going to write the location down because I'll go to another one and they won't have what I bought at the other

Carol Sue I haven't had potato pancakes in years. My Mom use to make them from left over mashed potatoes, so good. We never have potatoes left over in this house though I just read on the Atkins site that is offering the free bars that you don't have to do induction. Yet when I did it you had to, so times have changed Glad your thumb is healing

I had a great weigh in this morning down 1.2 to 162.0. I think I'm not eating enough carbs or something because when I eat more of them not some crazy amount like what I did with BK and pizza but with pretty good eats the scale is happier. It could just be the calorie burn also, idk. My fbs is still not down in the one teens like it was so I have got to work on that. It was 131 today.

Hope the remainder of the day is great for you all
  • Two ladies on another thread mentioned that Traditional Medicinals organic Roasted Dandelion Root tea is a a natural diuretic so helps with water weight, helps your bodies natural detoxification process by helping your body breakdown fats during digestion and carry away waste. One lady also said her Mom's friend drinks it to lower her blood sugar and not take metformin. I found it at one Walmart and at Kroger for $4.59 a box 16 bags. Have any of you heard about this or tried this before. I had a cup today. After hearing about the natural diuretic I see why I've been to the bathroom so many times this afternoon.
  • Rennie, suggestion on gas, I used to have horrible gas with eggs but since I started taking probiotic pills daily it stopped
  • Thanks Shannon I bought some gas relief chewables to help with the gas gas if you know what I mean, but the belching is the problem I have with eggs and it smells toxic. It makes me gag The probiotic pills you bought are they the one a day ones? I saw that on television but they cost more than I wanted pay or more than I had money for at the time.

Did you see my post above about the dandelion tea? Have you heard of that before?