April Chat

You're on Page 3 of 20
Go to
  • Quote: Trish what brand of mayonnaise do you buy? That mock potato salad is delicious. I put green pepper, onion, celery, and relish in it. I guess I could boil some eggs and put the egg white in it also. I love egg salad with just the yolks Thanks it does. I wrote it down Which Atkins bars did you buy? I the peanut butter granola bar, not grainy to me so I can eat it. And the triple chocolate bar pretty good. I signed up for the Atkins something and they sent those to me free to try along with another one but I don't remember the name.
    I buy any brand that is 0 carb/sugar. My favorite is Hellman's but pricey so I don't get it unless on sale. Right now I think the one I have is Food Lion's Essential store brand. Just check not to have sugar or have the sugar in 5th or lower ingredient. I got the Atkins Coconut Almond bar. What did you order from Atkins. I'd love to have the new book Atkins made easy. Did you order that?

This is day four for me and I can feel my body making changes right I am feeling so tired, but the book I have promises that by the end of this week or next that I will have loads of energy. I surely do hope so. I checked my bs 2 hrs after breakfast and it was 119. This is wonderful. I'm wanting to ride the bike but read you shouldn't exercise during the 2 week Induction. I'm thinking as tired as I feel that maybe I shouldn't until my body settles into the new way of burning fat. One of those times I think following the book is probably wise.

Thanks for telling me about your mock potato salad with cauliflower. Do you use mustard in yours? That's the way my Mama made regular potato salad. I thought I would try the mock with a mixture of mayo/mustard. Mustard is soooo good for you.
  • I went for a haircut this morning and she didn't cut it short enough. I go through that with her all the time. I even went to someone else once and they didn't cut it short enough either. This time I even took a picture with me. I don't know how to get it across to her that I want it short. I think she wants me to come back sooner so she leaves it longer. Grrrrrr

One time some Atkins bars came in the mail addressed to DH. I have no idea why. I know HE never ordered anything Atkins. LOL I didn't like them.

I didn't realize that mayo had 0 carbs. I looked at my jar of Hellmans and sure enough! I only use it occasionally. It usually goes bad before we finish it. DH has been eating tuna salad for lunch lately and I've been putting some of it in my tossed salad, but he puts too much mayo in it for me. I make potato salad only about 3 times a year, but for my family, it has to be real potato salad. I tried Aldi's mayo once but we didn't like it.

I didn't take my pill again this morning. I told you my FBS was 190. I skip breakfast sometimes if I'm not hungry, like this morning, and when I do eat it, it's usually very small. I don't want to eat a bigger breakfast just to accomodate the meds. After my haircut I came home and made my salad and my BG was down to 131. I put a hard boiled egg in it and some of the tuna salad so I had some protein with it. I will take the pill before dinner though, because that meal is normally enough to handle the pill without giving me a low. Last night 3 hrs after dinner I was at 119, Then I blew it with the crackers.

Rennie, I buy Wheat Thins Fiber Select. They are not actually HIGH fiber, but higher than some others. I also have some of those Wasa Light Rye Crisp. The best I can describe them is they are like a styrofoam plate. LOL But for some reason I like them. I spread a very thin film of peanut butter on them. Crackers, including saltines, have always been a downfall for me, similar to bread, and I try to fool myself into thinking I'm eating healthy ones. I saw a recipe that called for those Wasa Rye Crisp but now I forget what the recipe was.

Trish, I love to eat deli turkey rolled up with a slice of cheese, but we rarely buy deli meat. My husband took sandwiches for his lunch for 40 years so now he's not much of a sandwich eater. That's another thing I could eat endlessly. I have a lot of trigger foods. I have been sticking to foods that I will eat til satisfied and then stop. I eat mostly eggs, veggies, meat and fish. Tonight we will be going out to eat and I will be ordering talapia. It is baked with crushed pecans. It comes with a glaze but I order it without the glaze. I will have a tossed salad and broccoli. I will test before bedtime and won't eat a snack unless it's really low. I want to see if that helps my FBS. I believe I get the Dawn Phenomenon and a snack is supposed to help, but I still get a higher FBS. I've tried cheese, yogurt, fruit, just a protein, protein and carb...didn't change anything, just adds more calories. They say if you go too long without eating (like from dinner to breakfast) that your body thinks your starving and dumps glucose. My body seems to dump glucose even with a snack. Even with a good A1c I never had a good FBG. If I can get back to a good A1c I won't worry if my FBG is a little high.
  • Quote: Thanks Laurie, I've bought the pancake mix before but was afraid to try the syrup. Is it good? I didn't like the WF salad dressings or the bbq sauce because it had a vinegary taste to me. So just wondering about the syrup. I do like the agave maple syrup though, but it's hard to find.
    WF can be hit or miss for most people. I have found their Maple Syrup to taste pretty much like any other SF maple syrup, and while I have never really liked blueberry syrup before, for some reason, I really enjoy this one.

I use the syrups in my LC oatmeal and LC baking and use the maple in making LC sauces (BBQ, Asian, etc)

YES, the Maple Grove Farms SF mix is also for waffles... And I do also add vanilla whey powder to my pancakes and waffles on occasion as well as ground flaxseed.

CARB WISE ... for having a bread-like item, it is ONLY 5 carbs, so I feel it is well worth spending some of my limited carbs on one serving worth (1/4 cup mix and water us all I use... Though I add egg whites when making the waffles.)

FYI on the Agave... From what I understand, Agave is still a sugar and really is no better for us than any other sugar as the body reacts to it just the same as other sugars. For a diabetic, the result will be the same no matter which sugar you have, so be careful!
  • There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home. 24 hours and a click of the heels = I am back home, thank God! I like seeing family but there is always alot of eating out at places because my mom really doesn't cook or keep food in the house since she only eats like one meal a day. I always overate when we would eat out before and felt bad but it was worse this time since I am now trying to lower my carbs and the choices are just not real conducive to low carb so I am feeling extra icky. There is also no internet at my mom's and I get the shakes without the internet....just kidding....sort of, lol! So, I'm home!!

The good news is there was no world war III this time. My mom made gobs of comments but she never directed them at me or about me specifically so I was able to hit the ignore button and not respond. Rennie she did suggest to my daughter tonight where we should eat even though I said last night it was the only place I really didn't want to go so of course that is where she started chanting we must go tonight. Oh well, next time I will be stronger or order something else (it's a pizza buffet) off the menu. It was the first super carby meal I've eaten in about a week and so odd, no matter how much I ate I felt hungry, like it wasn't making a dent, so I kept eating and now, hours later I still have horrible indigestion. Oh well, lesson learned.
  • Last night I was chopping vegetables with a brand new knife and slit the top of my thumb. Maybe I should have gone for stitches but I didn't. But it's extremely hard to type with this huge bandage on my thumb. I keep adding extra letters where they shouldn't be and leaving out letters that should. Hopefully by tomorrow I can go to a smaller bandage and type more!

I'm off to try to shower and wash my hair. Looking for a rubber glove to put over my hand.
  • Quote: Last night I was chopping vegetables with a brand new knife and slit the top of my thumb. Maybe I should have gone for stitches but I didn't. But it's extremely hard to type with this huge bandage on my thumb. I keep adding extra letters where they shouldn't be and leaving out letters that should. Hopefully by tomorrow I can go to a smaller bandage and type more!

I'm off to try to shower and wash my hair. Looking for a rubber glove to put over my hand.
    So sorry!! I had to get stitches when I cut my finger while cleaning a newly sharpened knife. I can still remember how the cut felt and it has been at least 5 years! I hope it heals quickly!
  • Quote:
    Rennie, I'm not gonna lie, the products recommended on that blog are pricey but I really trust the author's opinion on brands. When I had that dr appt in Dec I felt hopeless and was doing alot of online research when I stumbled across All Day I Dream About Food.
    Love that website!! I do the Trim Healthy Mama plan and have loved tweaking my already gluten free low carb diet to include sweets that I missed.

I make a muffin in a mug recipe in my waffle iron. I top it with some stevia sweetened greek yogurt and berries. Feels like cheating
  • Carol Sue So sorry you cut your thumb. I hope it is better today.

Stomach is doing fine this morning. I was thinking about going on and upping my carbs to 25 g or 30 g, but won't do that until Monday. I'm not getting even 10 g fiber most of the time. I was going to eat brussel sprouts yesterday and it was too many carbs so I couldn't have them. I'll have to see. I think I forgot to check what the net carb was. Not doing the bike this week, but I am going to start riding it next week regardless of whether I do another week of Induction or start adding carbs. The reason I said go to 30 is because I seem to be getting more like 23 to 25 g now so I just may go ahead and go to 25 or 30.

My weight has been 225.4 for 3 days in a row now which is a big change for me. And my fbs this morning was 93. BS after dinner last night was 102. So I am still motivated. Since I've been faithfully dieting since the day after Christmas, I really didn't expect a big water weight loss because I was handling water weight with my diuretic, but now I'm controlling it with the low carb way of eating. I am very happy with the way things are going.

The Atkins bar will definitely be an emergency thing (maybe). I say maybe because I didn't really enjoy it and last night I decided to eat just 1/4 of one and it just doesn't do anything for me. I think because the only time I crave sweets when my blood sugar is running high close to 200. Now that it is down, sweets are not a problem for me. I wasn't one of those kids who ate a lot of sweets mainly because my Mama loved sweets and we had them all the time. I never ate it very often. When my Daddy wasn't home at night, she always made homemade fudge. She and my sisters would eat it, but I didn't want any of it. Now I did have a problem with salty things like chips, but now that the new Atkins plan says low carbers need to eat salt to keep from having leg cramps, I can have salt on my food which I like mostly on meat, I don't even have a cravings for that either.

I find that I am able to get by on 3 meals and a snack because the cravings are gone. I would say to anyone who is looking for a way of eating that is healthy for them is this, keep looking until you find what works for you. I know I probably drove people crazy trying to find a way of eating that I could live with. I am happy to say that I've finally found mine.

Have great weekend.
  • This is the first time I've admitted this to anyone but God. When I was a kid I stole money from my mother's purse DAILY to buy chocolate candy. I was so hooked. Never got caught, either. I could eat a whole bag of Hershey's Kisses in one sitting. But it has to be plain chocolate. No nuts, caramel, or anything else.
  • Just checking in to report that I am slowly dropping pounds on a low carb plan and my FBGL has been great. Next week I start back at the gym and WILL get my HA1C done soon. I've not been around much as I've been up to my butt in tax stuff and dental stuff but WELCOME to the new folks.
  • Trish I buy the one that is least expensive also. I don't know if I've ever paid attention to the sugar in it though so I'll have to check. Go to atkins.com and as soon as the site comes up it will say order your free quick-start kit with 3 free Atkins bars, 2 informational booklets and a carb counter and acceptable foods list booklet. No I didn't order an Atkins book. Is that book new? Maybe I can get it at the library. Yes I do use mustard, I would have remembered while making it I love mustard also any kind spicy included Trish those are some great numbers. Exciting to see I'm sure. We learn from each other so every trial helps us all, even when informational

I think 119 is the number. My strips came in the mail yesterday and I decided to test my bs it was 119 two hours after eating some premium round unsalted crackers with peanut butter that made me smile. YAY FOR 119

Carol Sue, that's funny you should say your hairdresser wants you to come back sooner. I do believe people actually do that to there clients. It certainly keeps them in business and she probably enjoys your company . LOL you are so correct with the description of the Wasa crisp. I have bought them also. I use to use them also with peanut butter and jelly as my substitute sandwich, they taste pretty good that way I like turkey and cheese, ham and cheese or tuna and cheese on a lettuce wrap with mustard, mayo and tomato. You don't even know there isn't any bread. Hope you thumb is ok, I sliced my finger on a meat slicer at work once (I was a teen, like Shannon I still remember that and the stitches) I never want stitches again. Hope it heals soon Carol Sue that's so cute, and I know it felt good to say I have never been a big chocolate eater, like Trish my thing is salt. I can eat a huge bag of sour cream and onion, barbecue, hot and spicy, salt and vinegar chips with no problem I absolutely love potato chips.

Thanks Laurie, yeah I was just reading something about that with the sugar. I bought the iHop sugar free syrup once and it had a yucky after taste. I saw some others I'll just pick one and keep you all posted

Shannon, one of the best things I've ever read is when eating out immediately ask for a take out container and half the food. LOL you are like two of my sons and I. When we go to my Auntie's we are happy to be there but no internet drives us nuts. My son said Mom you really need to make at least your phone a hot spot, lol I ate a slice of real pizza yesterday with my oldest daughter and burger king also. My youngest and I just made a crustless sauceless pizza and shared it. I would have just ate the topping off of the slice yesterday but I was hungry and we were in the car so I ate it crust and all, even made a mess on my jeans, smh. Take something for that indigestion

Donna I ate my muffins in a mug because I made them but I'll be honest they were How do you make you're, what's in them? I don't remember which site I got them from but I made a plain one and a cinnamon one and neither were good. I'm gonna try your recipe in the waffle iron when you give it to me.

Keep up the great work Ruth

Well bad me did horribly yesterday, I was over in calories by 1193 and carbs by 244. MFP surely puts things into perspective for ya . I didn't do any exercise either. Just spent the better part of the day with my thin wanting to stop every where to eat daughter We had a good time but goodness I couldn't do that everyday. I drank a nice warm glass of prune juice before bed because my stomach was a mess. Thank goodness it does help me Weigh in today was 163.8 up .4 from yesterday which would have been way worse if not for that fiber . I did make it to the gym today burned 504 calories so feeling good.
  • I am still learning with these new pills. The past few days my diet has stayed the same low carb I've been doing. I've been taking the pills, but I haven't exercised for 3 days. As a result, my blood sugar has been noticeably higher. So the exercise IS a big factor. I will have to do some exercise today. We are watching my Grandson today, so I will have to fight him for the elliptical. LOL

Rennie - It sounds like you really had a good time with your daughter, even though you overate. It's ok to do that once in a while. When I first met my husband we used to get a large pizza every Sunday. I was really thin back then. Last night we went through the town we used to live in and went past the pizza shop. We decided to get their phone number loaded into our phone and next time we are going to be going by that way we will call and order a pizza, to see if it's still as good as it was back then. I will have to get ready for that!

Donna, I too would like to get the recipe for the muffin you make in the waffle maker if you don't mind sharing.

Shannon, my mother and I clashed a lot, too. It wasn't about weight or food, but about daily living. She wasn't happy about my lifestyle. I really wasn't that bad, but she was somewhat of a holy roller (I don't know what other word to use) so just about anything I did that didn't include church and praying made me a heathen. Now my much older half sister passed away. She always seemed like the sweetest thing to me, but at the funeral her adult children were telling me about the issues they had with her. I guess it's hard to let your adult children be adults and make their own choices while keeping your mouth shut about it at the same time. I see it with my DH and his two adult children.

I had a friend who used to say "You don't pay my mortgage, you don't get a vote!" LOL

Yay Ruthie! Lower weight and blood sugar! Hope your dental work is going well.

I am so happy about the way this board has shaped up in the past several months.

Where's Mad?
  • Good morning and happy weekend!

Carol Sue I have read exercise does significantly lower BG. There is a national campaign once a year where people test, exercise 30 min and then test again and log both results on a website....and the whole point is to show that affect. I have personally suspended exercise for the time being. In the past I would start to change diet and exercise at the same time. The exercise made me extra hungry, I binged and gained instead of losing. This time I've decided I need to have my dietary changes more ingrained before starting the exercise part so I'm waiting right now til a few more weeks pass. On the topic of mothers, I imagine I'll have plenty of opinions as well when my daughter is older too. I just don't like my mom's superiority complex she delivers with her comments, lol. I hope to break that part of the cycle!

Rennie yay for fresh new days with no mistakes in them!

Trish your readings are so good!! You are on much lower carbs than me but I am hoping by my initial change in significantly lowering mine I can achieve the same without having to go super super low. I used to probably have around 300 g daily and now I am probably more like 100 g or less.

Donna I looked into THM back in the fall and thought there was just too much stevia in the recipes....but that was before I knew I was going to be giving up most sugar, lol!

---------
    Now for some completely random ramblings....
    I need some good recommendations for lunches and snacks. Breakfast and dinner I seem to have no problem with but the middle of the day needs more preparedness. I'm finding that when I don't know what to do I don't eat or don't eat enough which then makes me starving at dinner and it's a fight not to get crazy. If you have suggestions or links somewhere with suggestions, bring 'em on!

My husband and daughter usually go out on Saturdays so I can do things I need to do. Grocery shopping, meal planning and coloring my roots (been prematurely greying since 18) are at the top of my list....then cleaning, lol. I really want to try some new recipes this week. I dislike vegetables but have been working on trying new (to me) ones in multiple ways before closing my mind to them. I want to attempt the cauliflower rice and mashed potatoes soon. I have a feeling the hubby will FREAK but I want to at least try!

Also, I am inching closer and closer to onederland. That is exciting but for me, usually, it's like the kiss of death. Everytime I get to around 202 something happens (it varies) and I gain and get frustrated and give up. I know my TOM is around the corner so that is likely the "something happens" this time.

I gave up sugar sweetened beverages for Lent in hopes that it would kick start my being able to give up more and more refined sugar in my diet in general. Before that I mostly had unsweetened beverages at home but always had pepsi or sweet tea out (we eat out usually once during the week and then several times on the weekend). So, it wasn't an everyday thing but it was a kind of regular thing. It has been SO HARD to order water or unsweet tea (when the meal included a beverage....I get migraines from aspartame so diet sodas are not an option for me).
  • Quote: This is the first time I've admitted this to anyone but God. When I was a kid I stole money from my mother's purse DAILY to buy chocolate candy. I was so hooked. Never got caught, either. I could eat a whole bag of Hershey's Kisses in one sitting. But it has to be plain chocolate. No nuts, caramel, or anything else.
    I prefer my chocolate plain too!
  • Quote: Trish what brand of mayonnaise do you buy? That mock potato salad is delicious. I put green pepper, onion, celery, and relish in it. I guess I could boil some eggs and put the egg white in it also. I love egg salad with just the yolks Thanks it does. I wrote it down Which Atkins bars did you buy? I the peanut butter granola bar, not grainy to me so I can eat it. And the triple chocolate bar pretty good. I signed up for the Atkins something and they sent those to me free to try along with another one but I don't remember the name.
    Rennie I buy Duke's regular (not light) for 0 sugar. I have not looked at other brands. I do know that light mayo and light or FF sour cream both have more carb content than their regular versions. Brand may not matter, not sure.