Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Ruthie, I'm so sorry that your little Disney has passed on. It is very hard to lose a pet. You have my condolences.

Welcome Little Miss Niki and Donna. We're always happy to see new faces around here. I think you have been here before, Donna. Stick around! We'd really like to have you input. You are doing so well.

Niki, you are in the weight range I was in in my younger days. I think always trying to lose those last few pounds helped me to maintain. You can tell your boyfriend that you're not hungry and don't mention dieting. He won't even realize it!

Rennie - That 3 day diet has been around for years with different names and in different forms. It's good for losing quickly when you're had a recent gain and I don't think it's harmful because it's not long term.

I am the same height as you and I would LOVE to weigh 130, but I don't think it's practical for me at my age and with my medical conditions. It would certainly help with my knee pain! I would be very happy at 150. Losing that much weight would give me a lot of loose skin and I can't afford to have the surgery to remove it. So right now my goal is to lose 20 lbs so I can fit into the clothes I have that are too tight. At that weight I would look relatively normal for an old lady and then I could work on getting a little lower. I would stop when I started to get too much loose skin.

When my husband was married to his first wife, he came home from work one day and she was gone. Left a goodbye note and ran home to mamma in CA, never to be seen again. In the beginning, he was always afraid I would leave. Now I tell him I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here til the end and make his life miserable! LOL

We were having a "discussion" yesterday and he got mad and said "I don't want to talk about it." I said, "Ok, you shut up and I will do the talking." He kept turning the car radio up louder and I kept talking louder. We both burst out laughing, and the discussion was over.

Trish, I am wondering about your comment that the fiber caused your weight gain. I've never heard that. I always heard that fiber keeps your body from absorbing the carbs and sugar in your meal and whisks it out of your body. Please don't give up on fiber because of that. It's so healthy for you. I get mixed up on which foods are soluble fiber and which are insoluble. I will have to research that. We need both.

Mushrooms and onions are not only low carb and calorie, they have so many nutrients that are healthy. I try to have them every day.

I know the things my husband eats are not healthy for me, and he says he should not be deprived of what he wants because of me. I agree, and with the sweets and salty snacks I have good control because they don't appeal to me. But when it comes to starchy carbs, it's a different story altogether. I need to make up my mind to just say no to them. Carbs are going to be available in my life and I need to learn how to control myself. Yesterday, at the funeral luncheon, they had these luscious looking crescent rolls for sandwiches but I passed them up and just had some deli turkey with lettuce and tomato. Since my sister loved doughnuts, they had them for dessert, but I easily passed on them. Too sugary for me. It is MY JOB to control what I eat.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #47  

Here I am with another link. This one explains soluble and insoluble fiber and gives examples of foods containing each one.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-heal...e-fiber?page=1

I have recently been eating lentils and they contain both. I bought some canned lentil soup, but since I am not much of a soup eater, I wasn't eating it often. Now I have been draining and rinsing the soup and using the lentils separately. Today, I put some in my cabbage/kale/onion concoction. I was thinking I could have a small cup of lentil soup before dinner each day, too. Right now I have a batch of vegetable soup in the refrigerator, and I think I will add some lentils to my bowl when I eat the soup. Can't add it to the whole batch because that would not please DH.

When we went to my sisters funeral DH could BARELY button the pants from his good suit, so I think he will be cutting back. LOL
Old 03-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #48  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Hi Niki

Carol Sue, I don't know what is practical for me at this point. I just know I don't want to take metformin if I don't have to. I originally thought that 150 was it (love to be 150 ) I decided on 132-136 because that is what I read and I actually think when I went to a weight loss Dr in 2012 he told me the same thing but it got to be too expensive and the supplement that I was paying for didn't help at all. I'm going to try to lose as much as I can also the only loose skin I have right now is my stomach, back/sides and thighs which I can high under clothing so not too bad Oh and I know the weight loss will help with my knees also LOL on making his life miserable (I think the two of you are a joy together just from your stories ) Good job at the funeral luncheon

I am back down to my 3/1 weight 165.6 and fbs was 111. I didn't get to eat breakfast this morning the kids had to be in different places at the same time so I was on the run. I did eat grapefruit with juice, 5 unsalted rounds with 4ozs of taco meat, salsa and extra sharp cheddar. We are invited to a cook out so I will stick to grilled items and veggie (hopefully)
Old 03-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Thanks for the link. As usual it is very helpful and I see that I was eating some fiber already, just not enough. I'm sure the weight gain was caused for 2 reasons. Number 1, I was adding whole grains and #2 I was going over on the calorie count. My diabetic book I have from Prevention explains how to add fiber slowly and it also says we should work up to 50 grams of fiber, but to keep calories between 1400 and 1600. I was going over. Also probably not drinking enough water. I'm having to learn to add the fiber and stay within the calorie count. Hopefully MFP will help me to tweak so I can eat healthy fiber carbs both grains and veggies.

Niki to our group. I think men are as complicated to us as we are to them. I think my second hubby was insecure like Carol Sue's was when they married. I was my second husbands 3rd wife. His second wife rain around on him and he died not knowing that his second son with her was his son and never was sure about his daughter. We raised the 3 children ourselves because she couldn't be bothered. So I've always felt that he had mixed feelings about me and my weight. He wanted me to lose weight because he was afraid of losing me to death, but I think he was afraid that if I lost weight I would leave him. He ended up being the one who died and left me because he could never give up smoking even when he knew he was sick and they were killing him.

My present DH was afraid of losing me when I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes because he lost his wife because she had complications from the disease. We were both shocked when he was diagnosed with it too. Now that I'm starting to see results of my way of eating and exercise, he suddenly has gotten interested in working at his as well. He used to fuss about the way I was always dieting trying to find something would help me lose the weight and get the fbs down. Now that he has the problem he understands my problem better and doesn't say much to me any more. The nice thing is that we are now working together to improve our health.

You might try what Carol Sue said and maybe it will work. I probably doesn't know what to say or do (men like to fix things and really get upset when they can't). So just saying you aren't hungry may do the trick for you.

Rennie I set my goal at 150 because DH things I will look good at that weight. He seems to think 130 or 135 will be to thin for me. I'm going to work at getting to 150 and then I will decide if I want to lose more.

My fbs was back down to 150 this morning and weight was up a little more, but I expect that to change with me being more attentive to keeping the calories in check. I seem to be having no problem getting fiber to 35 grams with the calorie count MFP has set for me, but it is going to be work to get it to 50 grams. But I'm supposed to do it slowly so I've got time to do it.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #50  
~Rennie

Well it's good to see that we are aiming at 150 first and then seeing where we'll go from there ... I think getting to the lower 160's is more difficult than getting out of the 170's my goodness the back and forth is crazy. I am up 1.6 to 167.2. FBS was 124 this morning
Old 03-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #51  

I am up to 234.4 this morning. Eating fiber is fine, but I think I must get most of mine from fruits and veggies. That's how I was getting mine before I tried this. I think I have learned that a small amount of grain may be fine such as the double fiber bread I eat and maybe the beans, but I am not going to try to eat much of any other. I was doing pretty good before and I will continue with what I was doing and just make sure that I get the 30 grams of fiber that my diabetic book suggests. FBS was up to 165 this morning, so I can see that I don't need and probably cannot handle more than that.

I woke up nauseated this morning and I've had a little bit of a headache. Didn't make it to church today. I got up and came into the living room and laid down and listened to the ministers I record each day. Couldn't watch them as I was so sick and had to cover up because I was freezing and had a difficult time getting warm. I slept some too. I think ate too much fiber and it was upsetting my stomach. I drank water but evidently not enough. I've been lethargic all day. I'll continue with the calorie counting and keep my carbs down some. You know ADA recommends 130 g carbs daily and I don't think I should go over 100. I prefer to stay under 80 grams.

I had 2 fruits this morning before DH got up and then I fixed breakfast for us. It was my usual breakfast except I made scrambled eggs because DH wanted them that way and I figured they would be easier on my tummy. With the apple and strawberries this morning, my fiber count is 21 g. Since DH and I only eat one main meal a day together, I've decided to just graze on more of lowcarb today. I'm sure with the veggies added such as greens etc, I'll reach the 30 grams easily without bothering or overloading my stomach. Hoping to get back down in the 220s sometime this week.

Y'all have a super Sunday.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-09-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #52  

Well, my 2 lbs I lost last week found their way back home. I'm very discouraged. I don't want to beat myself up, but I know that I am the one who is putting the food in my mouth so I can't blame it on anything else. Right now my only goal is to maintain whatever I lose and not keep losing the same 2 lbs over and over.

I have decided to call my PCP tomorrow and get my A1c and thyroid checked. I have been putting it off, trying to see if I can lower my BS on my own, but it has been so high for so long and I am so afraid of the complications. I don't mind taking Metformin because it has so few side effects and it does help with weight loss, but I didn't want to go on anything that causes lows. I am so afraid of doing something wrong and getting a dangerous low. I will need to be diligent and right now I'm not too good at that.

Rennie, the fact that you still have dependent children tells me that I am quite a bit older than you. Loose skin gets worse as you get older. You might be able to lose more without as much loose skin as I would have. My blood sugar was good at 182 pounds. My A1c was mostly under 7. Last time it was 7.8 and I can tell from my recent readings that it is going to be even higher this time. I am really scared, but I guess I'm not scared enough to do what I know I need to do. So I will go on new meds, and continue trying to lower it with diet and exercise. That's all I can do.

My doctor always wants to put me on new expensive meds because he says they are better than the older generic meds. But my copay on brand meds is really high. I will tell him I will go on them if he can get samples for me, but otherwise I want generic.

I don't have any good news today.

Rennie and Trish, you two are really doing well. Congratulations!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #53  
~Rennie

Trish sorry you weren't feeling well this morning. I have never been regular never in my life except during TOM ... not sure why it's better then. I had tried a maybe 3 years ago to increase my fiber because I heard it would help. I tried with extra fiber foods and a glass of metamucil and it did more harm than good for me. I like you figured what I was doing was good enough and went back to eating the way I was. Hope you feel better

This is how I feel ---> Right now my only goal is to maintain whatever I lose and not keep losing the same 2 lbs over and over.

Carol Sue I'll be 48 next month. I have five children, 10, almost 13, 15, 16 and a married 21 year old. I said once before I am the baby here My blood sugars were in the mid to high 200's for a long time. The only thing that helped was less carbs. I was a carb fanatic and I still am if given the chance to indulge without thinking which I do with ease at times I need to have my A1c checked also. Thanks for saying I'm doing well, I appreciate it
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #54  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It's been a rough week. Had to put my dear Disney to sleep on Friday. Her bloodwork showed she had no kidney function left. She was a very brave little dog as we waited for the blood results. I was actually hoping she would die in her sleep but it was not to be. Even at the end she wagged her tail at the vet and vet tech.

Since then I've had a constant stream of visitors offering sympathy and horrible stuff like lemon bread and homemade Chelsea buns. ** Sigh ** I have been avoiding most of it but have still been off track with food and meds. Back into my groove tomorrow. I've had more company than when my husband died! My darling Jazz is feeling pretty lonely so folks have been bringing their dogs for a playtime. Today Rachel brought her Rottie - his head was bigger than wee Jazz and Jazz just ran circles around him.

My fridge is cleaned out and I have a turkey moving in there to thaw for a dinner party on Friday night. We figure with all the snow we may as well re-do Christmas. My crazy friends! I do have lots of good food left though and will be back on track tomorrow. I'll even weigh, test blood and report in. I even had three slices of whole grain bread today and ham so the weight will probably be up tomorrow alas!

See you tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #55  

Feeling better this evening. I think I had a headache becaue I was too sick at my stomach to drink any coffee this morning. Headache went away when I took Excedrin and had a cup of coffee later. I seldom ever take Excedrin but suddenly remembered that DH keeps them on hand.

Strange how eating beans can add fiber to plan. I realized today that I can probably add fiber as long as it is fiber that does not come from processed foods. I am amazed that when today is over that I will have had about 44 grams of fiber and it was so easy doing it with beans, veggie and fruit and my calories are less than 1500 calories. I think keeping the calories under control is the key to a lot of this and if I'm right my goal will be to keep my calories under 1500 calories. My carbs are higher than I wanted so I will have to tweak that to get it lower as well.

Rennie I have Metimucile and DH takes Clearlax. I've taken both and neither one of them do anything for me. I do seem to do better if I am able to get the natural fiber from food regulated right. I just wish I could always remember what I do when that happens. I was extremely regular when I lived with my aunt when I got out of college and I've tried to remember what we ate. She insisted on breakfast which was eggs, bacon, toast with butter and black coffee with saccharin (they didn't know it was bad for you then). I ate a low carb high fat lunch (same everyday of hot link made locally, carrot and celery sticks and a cold drink. Dinner was usually meat, greens/veggie, a starch with gravy and cantaloupe. Every Friday night we went out to eat and had our favorite (mine was fried chicken). And I not only was extremely regular, but I was losing weight like crazy. Now I eat healthier than that and I struggle with weight loss and regularity. Go figure. Strange isn't it. I guess it is because our body changes a lot as we get older.

Sometimes I think I should just eat like I did back then and forget about dieting, but I guess the diabetes keeps me from doing that because I don't want the complications that comes with it.

Don't be afraid of taking the Metformin. My doctor says it is supposed to protect us from the complications of diabetes. I hope that it will protect me while I work at getting the fbs under control.

Ruthie It is nice that you have so many caring friends who want to comfort you and Jazz. I hope you good memories will help heal your heart.

Carol Sue Fighting the same lbs is a pain for me too. I don't want to keep gaining and losing the same lbs over and over. That's why I'm working so hard to get my weight down. I do so want to get my weight back into the 220s.

We can do this. We just can't give up.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 138.6/122.4/120

Height: 5ft 5"

thanks every1 4 welcoming me and for the advice-im goin to try that-so simple just to say im not hungry-y didnt think of that!we had a bit of an agument about my eating last night actually-said he was goin to shove a pack of cookies down my throat and that my diet has to stop-so i just left him to it to not hear any of it-i told him,if i was allergic to all the food u eat would u still try force me to eat it?think he then got my point and he has now promised to leave me to it and not interfere-my blood sugars have improved a lot since losing weight so think that shut him up 2!so im just going to keep goin now-hoping for a good weigh in result in the morning-thanks again :-)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissNiki View Post
thanks every1 4 welcoming me and for the advice-im goin to try that-so simple just to say im not hungry-y didnt think of that!we had a bit of an agument about my eating last night actually-said he was goin to shove a pack of cookies down my throat and that my diet has to stop-so i just left him to it to not hear any of it-i told him,if i was allergic to all the food u eat would u still try force me to eat it?think he then got my point and he has now promised to leave me to it and not interfere-my blood sugars have improved a lot since losing weight so think that shut him up 2!so im just going to keep goin now-hoping for a good weigh in result in the morning-thanks again :-)

Niki, that is a good comment. Many young people don't think about healthy eating, so if you just tell him you want to eat healthy and those cookies don't have any nutritional value, you might even change his eating habits, too. Good job! It is much better to keep your weight under control starting when you're young than to let it get out of hand and struggle with it when you're older. I learned that lesson too late.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #58  

Good morning, girls. It is a new day. I will wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

I decided not to call the PCP. When he writes the order to check my A1c and thyroid he will also write for lipids and I don't want him to. My cardiologist takes care of my lipids and he will want bloodwork when I have my appointment on Mar 26. I don't want to get them checked twice because my insurance won't like that either. For some reason, I can't get these two doctors to communicate. My cardiologist says he sends the info to the PCP and the PCP says he didn't receive it. My PCP always wants to change the meds the cardiologist has me on and I want him to leave it alone. So I will get the order closer to my cardiologist appt and get all the bloodwork done at the same time. That way, both doctor's should get the info. This gives me 15 more days to get my act together.

I have not been exercising lately for one thing. Yesterday, I was having trouble bending over to put the potatoes in the bin and DH said "Get some exercise!!" And he's right. He didn't say it in a mean way. He hates to hear me complaining when he knows I'm not doing what I'm supposed to. He wants to turn the game room into something else, so I'd better use my equipment or he will get rid of it! LOL

I know exactly what I need to do, but can't get myself to follow through. I need to work on that.

Rennie - I remember back when you were having blood sugars in the 200's and I was too. Now yours have dropped so much lower and that's why I'm so inquisitive as to what you are doing. I won't sit here saying Poor Me. I can do anything you can do! When I was younger I wanted a car that only came in a stick shift. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to learn to drive it. One day, I went out for lunch with a woman from work and she was driving a stick shift. I told myself, if she can do it, I can do it. So I bought the car and learned how to drive it. I need to use that same determination here.

Trish - I bought Metamucil because I heard it lowers blood sugar and cholesterol. I tried it and I got constipated! That was when I had the visiting nurse coming and she told me it can effect people differently. I prefer to get my fiber from food after that. I guess fiber from food is supposed to do the same thing. Fiber has to be added gradually or you will get the stomach pains. You eat much more fruit than I do and fruit is good fiber. I think I ate too many lentils and I had some pains the past two days. I get so scared when I get that pain because it's in the same place I had the pain before I had the perforated bowel. I sure don't want to go through that again!!! Did you know that you can subtract the grams of fiber from the carbs to get net carbs? I would not lower the carbs unless your BS or weight is going up. They say that the fiber makes you feel full so you don't want more food, and if you lower the carbs and also lower the fiber, you may start to get cravings. Let your numbers be your guide.

I was not hungry for breakfast this morning and now it's time to start cooking my veggies for lunch. I will skip the beans at lunch and see if I still get the pains after I eat.

Ruthie - I hope you are feeling better. Your friends are nice because they care about you.

Bonnie
- Where are you? Hope everything is well.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #59  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Checking in. Weight is 193 and FBGL is 6.8 of 122.8 in American. That's not too bad considering I've not been taking my meds for over a week. Pill boxes are filled now and I'm on track. I had ham salad on celery sticks for breakfast.

Just checked the local obits and I have two funerals to go to this week! I will NOT go to the usual post-service "feasts" if I can manage to get out of it.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #60  

Carol Sue Thanks for the advice on the fiber/carb thing. I guess I had forgotten that. Hope you can get things going for you. One thing I like about our Primary doc is that he keeps up with what is going on with us. I only have the 1 doc, but DH has had several and most of them are doctors who he has recommended to us and he stays on top of things. Remember when I told y'all about DH going to him in the beginning of his leg swelling from the clots? I heard that he got mad at DH's cardiologist because he should have caught it. He never would allow the cardiologist to take it over. He watches his PT like a hawk. It wasn't until he took over that the cardiologist got busy and sent DH to other specialists to be sure what was going on. We finally got to a blood doctor that now watches him closely as well. I think we get into too much trouble when doctors don't work together for us. When Tony had his neck surgery last our Primary would not agree to the surgery until everything was done to his satisfaction to be sure his meds were done exactly right because he is on coumidun. I appreciate him so much. I would love to move back to TX or to FL, but I am afraid of getting the wrong kind of doctor. Ours has spoiled us so.

Ruthie Glad you are back on track. I know how difficult it is when you are as busy as you are and then you add the grieving for your little precious Disney doesn't help either. Praying for you.

Rennie You are doing so good. Those last lbs you are working at to lose isn't easy to come off, but you are young and you will make it.

LittleMissNiki I can't add much more to what Carol Sue said except this. Too much sweets of any kind are almost like a poison or allergy for diabetics. I know I can eat a small portion of some things, but given a morsel over and I'm in trouble. Perhaps reminding him that this is a life and death situation for you just might be helpful. Usually a hubby or mate is afraid. They usually want to protect us and then they find themselves in a situation where they can't. Perhaps if he feels like he is protecting you by helping you, this will be easier for him. He just needs to know how.

Bonnie, Mad and others

Well, this morning the weight is coming back down to 231.2 and the fbs was 146. I am so close to being below the 230s and 140s again. I have figured out how to get this balanced. I have my plan for today of exercise and food plan. I will end with 1630 calories and 40 grams fiber. I think that is good. I do not have any plans to go higher on the fiber. I know the diabetic book says work up to 50, but at this time, I think 40 is good for a while. Especially as long as the weight and fbs comes down.

Y'all have a good day.
Closed Thread