March Chat

You're on Page 6 of 10
Go to
  • Wow you all have been busy. whew ...

Laurie to the thread Good job on your weight loss so far What are your meals like on a typical day? Those are great readings after your meals You did great

Carol Sue, I buy the carbmaster yogurt from Kroger and I do buy about 20 at a time. That's only because we don't have a Kroger near so I check the dates and buy a bunch I am not a step cooker so I'd probably never make yogurt, I don't like to wait unless it's because it has to bake or cook no overnight stuff . But thank you for sharing ... Carol Sue great advice for Kris and me to hear again I love 3FC for the constant reminders sometimes it pays to hear (see) it again I have gotten use to the taste of the ACV water unless I don't measure and just pour but I'd like to give the lemons a shot though since I know they do have a nutritional benefit also Thanks for sharing

Hi Kris to the thread. I have found that low carb works for me also. I don't have the discipline I need to eat carbs so they have to good tasteless carbs in order for me not to blow the day totally. My goal is to exercise 3-5 days a week and I was doing really well and then I stopped. Life gets in the way. I am not one to workout at home, I get bored or just give up so I go to the gym and hit the treadmill. Goal there is 3-4 miles but I have slacked off the last couple of times with that . Are you on MFP? I'd like to see what you low carb meal was if you don't mind. I need all of the ideas I can get and to have a truly low carb day takes a ton of effort for me most days. Best of luck to you on your journey. I'm sure the ladies here will have loads of great advice for you

I'm up .8 to 165.4 ... my weekend gain, yay me. Tomorrow will probably be a little up also
  • I'm new at this and read about it pretty much all weekend. You have Bernstein who says 12 carbs at breakfast, 20 at lunch and 20 at dinner. You have ADA says 130 carbs a day. I guess I'll start with a moderate approach and see how that works.

My plan is 3 meals. Carbs not to exceed 30 each meal. Protein, fiber and fat at every meal. Not stuffed, pleasantly full. Drink water in between. Plan exercise twice a day. I need to learn not to eat all day. I think my pancreas needs a rest and shouldn't have to be processing food all the time.

Sound like a plan? What is MFP?
  • Rennie - You and I are at same weight, same height and same goal. Will be fun to be in this with you.

Low carb day yesterday was: Peanut butter early; plain yogurt/spinach/flaxseed/berry smoothee and scrambled eggs at noon; hamburger patty with cheese, sauteed kale/onion/squash/mushroom/olive oil night.

Today was rice cake/cheese/v-8; egg salad on cabbage leaves and smoothee above; vegetable soup - broccoli/garlic/tomato/beans/onion/with small amount of carrot/corn/green bean/pea/lima.

I need to find something better than 1 rice cake at 7 carbs. I don't eat bread, need a low carb big crunchy cracker. Ideas? Maybe a crispbread type cracker?
  • Quote: I'm new at this and read about it pretty much all weekend. You have Bernstein who says 12 carbs at breakfast, 20 at lunch and 20 at dinner. You have ADA says 130 carbs a day. I guess I'll start with a moderate approach and see how that works.

My plan is 3 meals. Carbs not to exceed 30 each meal. Protein, fiber and fat at every meal. Not stuffed, pleasantly full. Drink water in between. Plan exercise twice a day. I need to learn not to eat all day. I think my pancreas needs a rest and shouldn't have to be processing food all the time.

Sound like a plan? What is MFP?
    I read something that said up to 30 per meal, but I read so many things I get confused. I do know that lower carbs work better for me weight wise. I need to work on my protein and fiber though. I drink all of my water and more most days. They say 6 small meals is the way to go. Have you been sent to a registered dietitian? I got to see one when I had gestational diabetes in 1996 but the insurance after that has yet to pay for one, so I look up my own info and use the information received from the ladies here, trial and error has been my way. MFP is myfitnesspal.com you record your meals, water, exercise on there. Just shows you all of your info at a glance. There's also fitday, fatsecret, loseit and I am sure others you could use also.

It will be good to have someone with the same stats to work with and I know from the past and doing this that you will do well. Everyone I have teamed up with in the past four years has left me in the dust and are now in maintenance. I'm just the one that slacks off. I weigh daily and count calories as well as every other nutrient, lol. We'll have fun
  • I was eating the crispbread. I just really have a horrible relationship with crackers, bread, chips, potatoes ... so I stay clear for the most part.

I made oopsie bread which doesn't taste good alone but it works very well as a bread/shell/crust. I have made a sandwich, taco, and pizza so far, oh and had one with cream cheese. Today I also made the one minute muffin, not the tastiest thing. But I will figure something out. On another site recommendation I cut up one (flavored with cinnamon & vanilla), toasted it and put sweetened cream cheese on it, not too bad. I also like s/f jello with yellow cake. My daughter made s/f jello and I cut a small piece off of another one minute muffin (flavored with almond extract & vanilla) and put the jello on top, jello soaked in, not bad. Not yellow cake but not bad. Oh it's made with flaxseed mill, not almond flour.
  • Today I found a really good reason for me to get a little box where I can keep all my receipts. A few days ago at the supermarket, I bought a can of hairspray. I didn't try to use it until this morning and it wouldn't spray. DH tried to work it but no dice. He said he thinks there is no pressure in the can. If you shake it you can tell it's full. This store has a strict policy about having the receipt for a return unless it is a mfg recall. I looked in my purse and the receipt was there. I usually throw them away when I accumulate too many and clean out my purse. Bad thing my DH does, he crumples up the receipt and throws it away on his way out of the store. Then I cannot return anything, even when he comes home with the wrong thing. He needs to be retrained! LOL

This morning I ate some oatmeal with my scrambled eggs, and I am feeling hungry already. That never happens when I just eat the eggs. Maybe oatmeal just isn't for me. Bummer. I really like it.

Bread is such a problem for me that even with high fiber low carb bread I overeat, so I'm better off not eating it at all.

Has anyone ever tried that Ezekiel bread? I've heard about it but never tried it. I would rather have no bread than waste calories eating something that doesn't taste good.
  • Carol Sue I want to try the Ezekiel bread also. But I am really liking the versatility of the oopsie bread. I actually had a piece as a treat again today with s/f jello and whipped topping The ingredients use = 184 calories, 3g carbs and 9g protein. I am going to make some more today since I only have one piece left. I think maybe because the oatmeal is high in carbs it is leaving you wanting one more, just a guess because that is what extra carby stuff does to me. And on the receipts ... my husband hands all receipts to me. I have a thing with numbers and if something is wrong I catch it before we leave the store (usually at the register ). He likes that because he never wants to go to the store with me

I am up 2.4 in 3 days to 167, so not good. I have got to do better. I did get to the gym today and burned 447 calories in 67 minutes doing 3.61 miles on an incline at 3.5-3.7 mph
  • Rennie - Usually I check my receipts before I leave the store if I can't watch at the register. I am overcharged on 1 out of 5 trips to the store, and I am well aware of which stores are the culprits. The best one was recently when I bought some kale and collards. I think the woman at the check out was leaning on the scale because the kale rang up 8 lbs and the collards rang up 7 lbs. Both bunches were less than 1 lb, actually. They told me the scale was broken, but I think she was just unintentionally leaning when she put the greens on the scale. I got a refund of $22. I'm going to watch that more closely now. Most of our grocery stores give you the item free if it scans wrong. Our WalMart and Target are very good and our KMart is terrible. They are also very bad at removing the signs after a sale is over, and in that case, they have to honor the price on the sign.

I thought eating the oatmeal with the eggs (protein) would keep it from having that effect. That's what the nutritionists tell you. They aren't always right.

Edit:
    I could have sworn I saw Ezekiel bread in one of our local supermarkets, but a search online only showed it in a few stores in Pgh. I don't want to go that far just to try it. I also looked up the oopsie bread. I might try making some, but I don't think it would ever substitute for bread for me. I'm just going to have to learn to do without somehow. LOL

I got back to exercising today. I did 15 min on the treadmill, 10 on the elliptical and 25 min with weights. I will try to do something every day, even if I don't feel like it. Your intensity is so much better than mine. I am afraid to increase intensity because of my heart issues. I keep telling myself if I am at least moving, I am doing better than if I were sitting in my recliner. I wear a heart rate monitor and go more by length of time than intensity. We all fluctuate back and forth, especially if we weigh in often.
  • Hi Everyone,

First of all, I'm not sure I've welcomed our Newbies. We are glad you have decided to join us and look forward to getting to know you.

Sorry I haven't been checking in. DGS is here for during the college spring break and we have to take him to work, and church functions this weekend. So we are all busy until he goes back to school Monday.

My weight is back down below 230 yesterday and today, but my fbs was up to 173 this morning. I'm still counting calories and fiber, but I decided today that I need to keep my fiber between 25 and 35 g. I don't think I need to try to go higher. If I do go higher or lower some days, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. I think the best thing I need to do is to keep the calories in place.

I love the Ezekiel bread and would love to buy it, but I can't afford it as it is very expensive here. Can't remember but I think the last time i checked it was around $6 a loaf. They even make an Ezekiel hamburger buns.

Carol Sue I was hoping the oats with the eggs would work because I thought about trying it too. Sorry it didn't work.

Rennie I wouldn't worry too much about small fluctuations of the scales as that can just be a temporary water gain or maybe you haven't potty yet or enough before you weigh. I keep a chart/graft of my weight daily and I've learned that my weight just does that and then all of a sudden I will go down and continue going down for a while.

Well, I'm tired and can't think right now so I need to go take a nap.

Catch y'all later. I will come back and check in more often. It is good for us to check in because I know it really helps me.
  • Carol Sue, I thought that about the oopsie bread also but I think it is growing on me. The more I eat it the more I like it. Don't know that I will ever eat it like toast but I haven't tried that yet so who knows. I haven't googled the Ezekiel bread so don't know if the sell it near here either. I am trying to get back to where I was on the treadmill. I did 30 minutes at an incline of 3.0 and then I kept raising it until I got to 6.0. By then my thighs were bothering me so I said enough. I want to do the elliptical but the times I have tried it seems so hard. I feel like I don't accomplish anything so I get off because I spend more time in my mind complaining instead of trying . I mainly make sure I work up a sweat and like to go for at least an hour. Your workout is great, you're getting the burning calories and toning.

Trish I rarely go to the bathroom. I am the most irregular person that I know. When I do go I never feel like it is fully so idk.

today has been a pretty good day. I ate OP other than some cheese balls (with my baby), I went to the gym. I made two batches of oopsie bread. One to use as a snack with my jello, sweetened cream cheese and one to use for sandwiches and whatnots. I also made some cabbage but I put a tad too much red pepper in it and it is hot, whew. But I made it so I will eat it. I also cooked some spinach because my baby wanted creamed spinach, I didn't cream mine, it's plain. I got all of my water in and 4 cups of green tea.

Hope the scale goes back down in the next few days. I will be so happy
  • Trish - I think I am going to try Fiber One Cereal instead of oatmeal. I can still have oatmeal once in a while since I like it. Fiber One has 60 calories and 14 gm of fiber per 1/2 cup. The first time I tried it I didn't like it, so I used it to make Fiber One Chocolate Haystacks and they were good. Then I tried it again as cereal and I grew to like it. I am trying it in the evening instead of with my morning eggs. The eggs with a bit of veggie mixed in holds my hunger pretty good so I'm going to stick with that.

I didn't eat any beans or lentils for several days and I didn't have any of the pains I was having. I went back to adding some lentils to everything that's appropriate such as soup, greens, vegetables, but in smaller quantities than I was eating before. Yesterday I had chili with kidney beans and I have not had any pain from either of these. So I think I was eating too much, too fast. The beans and my Fiber One should give me a good fiber count.

Rennie - I watched a woman make the Oopsie bread on Utube. She wasn't crazy about it and was making jokes about it, but I am going to try it and make my own decision. I will have to check over the recipe again to see if I can use egg substitute instead of eggs. (Note: I checked the recipe and I can't use them because you have to separate the eggs. Duh!) I don't know what I would use it for but I at least want to see what it tastes like. If I can't find a use for it I just won't make it anymore.

When I checked online for Ezekial Bread I put in my zip code and the stores that came up were stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes to name 2 that were familiar to me. It's too far a drive to either of those just for the bread. I will check in the store I thought I saw it in and will buy it if they have it. I saw a recipe to make it home made and it sure had some weird ingredients! LOL

I think the reason you are not regular is because you are doing low-carb. Adding fiber usually means adding carbs, so you might not want to go that route. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from you. I go at least 3 times a day, sometimes more. I always wonder how I could be so fat with my food coming out so much! LOL My husband has a couple nicknames for me that can't be shared publicly.

I am on my second treadmill. Someone broke the incline on my first one. No one owned up to it, but they had to know they did it. I used it for a while then decided I wanted a new one so I sold the old one at a yard sale, cheap! When I went to cardiac rehab the exercise physiologist told me that the elliptical gives you a much better all around workout. I like it for my knee because you don't get the pounding you get on the treadmill. They started me out at 3 minutes. It is much more strenuous, but you get your heart rate higher with less effort than the treadmill. After I got mine, I started out at 3 min and increased it every couple days by only a minute or two until I got up to 30 min. Since I do other things, 30 min is enough. Two things I like...you can use it without electricity as long as you don't want to track your distance, etc on the electronic panel. Also, it doesn't make noise, so I don't have to have the TV blaring while I'm using it like I do the treadmill. You might feel embarassed only using it for a few minutes at the gym, but you seem to be into exercising enough that you will quickly be able to increase your time gradually and get up to 30 min or more, and with more intensity. Some people use it as though they are running. I use it as though I'm walking.

I wish I had never stopped exercising like I used to. Hindsight is 20/20 and the best I can do now is get back into it.
  • I got this article from Healthy Living Newsletter today and made a copy and thought I would share it with y'all.

Eat These 9 Foods to Lose Weight

When you think about losing weight, eating doesn't normally come to mind, but the right foods can actually help you shed pounds and reach your weight-loss goals. Here are nine foods to add to the menu that will keep you healthy, fill you up and help you slim down.

Mushrooms
    Studies have shown that people find mushroom-based entrées just as satisfying as those made with lean beef. Mushrooms are far lower in calories than beef, and certain varieties such as shiitake and maitake mushrooms have been shown to reduce inflammation.

Eggs
    Breakfast is a key meal when trying to shed pounds, and starting the day with protein-rich eggs will keep you feeling full longer, so you're less likely to give into temptations throughout the day.

Apples
    Apples have less than 100 calories each, and they're full of fiber, which fills you up.

Soup
    Starting a meal with soup prepares your body for digestion and curbs your appetite before you dig into more calorie-dense dishes.

Hot Chili Peppers
    Studies have shown that people eat less when the dish they're eating is spicy.

Beans
    Beans are high in fiber, meaning it takes longer to digest them. Translation: you'll feel full longer than when you eat low-fiber foods.

Green Tea
    Green tea contains antioxidants that speed up your metabolism, plus its a great natural, calorie-free way to whet your palate when you're tired of plain water. Try brewing a hot mug of your favorite variety, or make a delicious Iced Mint Green Tea, which is a great alternative to sugary juices and sodas that the whole family will love sipping on.

Pears
    Pears have even more fiber than apples. The next time you're throwing a grown-up gathering,

Cinnamon
    Cinnamon can help curb post-meal insulin spikes. Try sprinkling it on your morning oatmeal or make cinnamon toast.
  • Trish, I agree with all those foods. I have always liked pears more than apples, but not for that reason. They are softer and juicier.

Hot Peppers would definately make me eat less of whatever they were in. They are too hot for me!

I want to use cinnamon, but I can't figure out how to use it. I've pretty much nixed the oatmeal and although I love cinnamon toast that pretty much defeats the purpose of eating cinnamon to lower BS. The only thing I can think of is sprinkling it on apples or applesauce. I do like warm cinnamon buns, right out of the oven!
  • Carol Sue I have been irregular all of my life. Just started low carbing this year faithfully. I was gonna get on the elliptical today and decided I would just go with what I like and got on the treadmill. If we go to the gym tomorrow I may give it a shot though When I first made the oopsie bread I didn't like it but the more I eat it the more I like it. I ate eggs, cheese and ham this morning on it. Had one with s/f jam and spray ICBINB and then two with a cheeseburger this evening. Really good

Trish thanks for the list I eat everything on it except mushrooms Gonna try the cinnamon on my oopsie bread in the morning and some eggs. I'd like to know what kind of soup they are talking about.
  • Rennie - I read quite a few recipes for the Oopsie bread yesterday. Do you use cream of tartar or baking powder. Most recipes called for the cream of tartar but a few said baking powder. This one woman said she added a bit of stevia to the egg yolks if she wanted a sweeter taste and parmesan, garlic and oregano for a savory taste. Another added dry mustard and dill. So I guess you can do a lot with them. I'm definately going to try them, but I don't have many eggs and no cream cheese right now.

Have you ever made cauliflower rice? I've been reading alot about that too. They say it does not taste like rice, but I like cauliflower so I think I could eat it in place of rice sometimes and enjoy it. One woman said she grates it and puts it in freezer bags in 2 cup portions, then brings it out when she wants it and finishes the preparation.

I was going to look online for a good low carb cookbook, maybe if someone on one of the low-carb forums has had good experience with one, but I think I have one in my cookbook collection so I will look there first. I might have what I need. I think I want tips to making foods lower carb rather than preparing complete low carb meals.